Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387367 times)

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #2580 on: December 24, 2014, 12:34:49 AM »
Aggghhhh already halfway through Christmas Eve here, our plans to finish the irrigation before tomorrow have been stalled by weird pipes.....I'll probably be finishing it tomorrow lol ;____; and maybe the next day (my sisters birthday hahaha)
D: 
Finished! I think! Just waiting for our pick up now....gosh were so parched that were considering drinking the tree's water from the pipes.......must....resist.... ;___;
And my fingers are splitting...nuuuu....they'll look so purdy fer santy termerrew... ;P

Edit: not finished. We've gotta come back either before or after Christmas family lunch. Uuuuuuuggggghhhg. >:(
D:  D:  *Sends Emergency Warm-Climate Christmas Vibes*
Good luck, Owl!

So... I was finishing up on drawing a tutorial on Braidy's clothing (for tumblr), when my mom walked in, looked at my computer screen and was like, "What're you doing?" It was hard trying to explain to her how someone had asked me to explain how to draw this character's clothes for them, but it wasn't my character, it was a character from "the webcomic" (she doesn't remember titles very well), who has only appeared in one scene and only close-up full-bodied in one panel, which made it hard to really understand the character's outfit... Also while trying to explain that drawing clothes is really not my thing, and I was only doing the tutorial to be polite......*sigh* She got so confused.
I've tried explaining some of hobbies/interests to my parents.  My dad doesn't care (He's cool like that :))), and my mom either ends up confused or with a headache.  Confusion usually comes from explaining the technicalities of guitars or games, and the headaches come from any physics talk :'(.  It's weird, because I understand where she's coming from; the same thing happens to me when she talks about managing money.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2581 on: December 24, 2014, 12:46:39 AM »
D:  D:  D:  *Sends Emergency Warm-Climate Christmas Vibes*
Good luck, Owl!
I've tried explaining some of hobbies/interests to my parents.  My dad doesn't care (He's cool like that :))), and my mom either ends up confused or with a headache.  Confusion usually comes from explaining the technicalities of guitars or games, and the headaches come from any physics talk :'(.  It's weird, because I understand where she's coming from; the same thing happens to me when she talks about managing money.
*flicks hideous hat hair like it!s nothing* heh, thanks! 8_8

My mum always gets freaked out over nothing when it comes to my hobbies and likes....which is funny, because she's a huge Trekkie, she used to COSPLAY, so it should be ok that I'm into dorky things X'P
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2582 on: December 24, 2014, 01:06:51 AM »
*flicks hideous hat hair like it!s nothing* heh, thanks! 8_8

My mum always gets freaked out over nothing when it comes to my hobbies and likes....which is funny, because she's a huge Trekkie, she used to COSPLAY, so it should be ok that I'm into dorky things X'P
Maybe she thinks Star Trek isn't nerdy?  And -woah- cosplay was... much rarer, before the days of the internet (and I'd certainly never do it, myself).  *respect*  I'm a first generation dork, I think.  My parents have a classical background in appreciating art and music (though my dad prefers everything from the 60s and onward), so they don't really care much for animation or comics or games or... yeah, those are the things I like.  Though, I'm trying to get my mom to watch A:tLA with me.  I told her about all the people of every age who adore it, the redemption stories, and the art direction, and she AGREED TO WATCH IT!  Ha! 
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2583 on: December 24, 2014, 01:27:15 AM »
Maybe she thinks Star Trek isn't nerdy?  And -woah- cosplay was... much rarer, before the days of the internet (and I'd certainly never do it, myself).  *respect*  I'm a first generation dork, I think.  My parents have a classical background in appreciating art and music (though my dad prefers everything from the 60s and onward), so they don't really care much for animation or comics or games or... yeah, those are the things I like.  Though, I'm trying to get my mom to watch A:tLA with me.  I told her about all the people of every age who adore it, the redemption stories, and the art direction, and she AGREED TO WATCH IT!  Ha!
Yeah, she's got a signed calendar, and a signed Scotty magnet on the fridge that no one is allowed to touch ever. Back then it probably wasn't called cosplay X'P
She likes AtLA too, but kinda not so much now we're not kids ;__;

I think it was her goal as a parent for her kids not to be nerds like she was....but she failed.

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2584 on: December 24, 2014, 01:27:41 AM »
I could never get my mom to watch/read anything. She's not a reader and not really much of a watcher (at least, not of the type of TV shows I like, disregarding Breaking Bad because she watched it first). I can't even say that's she's ever read a comic in her life (that wasn't written by me), let alone a long form comic like SSSS. As for my dad, he likes comics and comic books, but not the same genre as I do (he seems to prefer the less humorous and more indie/unpopular types of comics). Also I don't think he'd have the patience of the memory to keep up with an ongoing webcomic. And also I don't want to be annoying. Getting them into SSSS would be futile.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2585 on: December 24, 2014, 01:39:43 AM »
I'm surprised you guys (Piney and Eich) are still up and awake! My first thought was that you must be planning to catch Santa in an elaborate trap, but then I remembered it's only just turned Christmas Eve for you two XP

EDIT: AAAAAHHHHH someone finally put on the family-traditional Christmas CD. Sure, it's 6.10pm Christmas Eve, but now the Christmas season has OFFICIALLY BEGUN. Just in time. A tad late. But I'm not complaining. :3
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 02:07:25 AM by OrigamiOwl »

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2586 on: December 24, 2014, 02:05:47 AM »
I'm surprised you guys (Piney and Eich) are still up and awake! My first thought was that you must be planning to catch Santa in an elaborate trap, but then I remembered it's only just turned Christmas Eve for you two XP
"T'was the night before the night before Christmas, and all through its course, an engineer was building a big Trojan Horse."
It's 2 a.m. now, and I could take that rhyme in a thousand different North Pole infiltrating, Santa catching directions but, alas, bedtime is calling.
Feel free to PM.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2587 on: December 24, 2014, 02:08:33 AM »
"T'was the night before the night before Christmas, and all through its course, an engineer was building a big Trojan Horse."
It's 2 a.m. now, and I could take that rhyme in a thousand different North Pole infiltrating, Santa catching directions but, alas, bedtime is calling.
Yeah...maybe you better turn in, before you get the sleep-deprived motivation to build that thing!!

Edit: plus, a Trojan horse won't really be that effective in Santa-catching.... Maybe...
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 02:10:05 AM by OrigamiOwl »

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #2588 on: December 24, 2014, 04:43:51 AM »
Good morning/night/evening to everyone :)
Owl are done with most of the farmwork then or will you have to set out again these next day?

I received a really touching gift only yesterday and still am taken. The person donating it might know if she finds the time to look in here. Christmas is rather different this year and might take place on 27th/28th, but at least my little brother and me made it for a tiny come-together this year. So I hope you are able to be with friends or family and have some pleasant hours or even days with them.
If not I wish you nice encounters with strangers, warm smiles and hugs. Had that type of Christmas once and it turned out to be pretty nice.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #2589 on: December 24, 2014, 04:51:23 AM »
I'm off, people! Three days up in the mountains with my extended family. There'll be lots to eat and cute cousins to play with and hopefully snowy walks in the morning, immediately followed by some well-deserved rest in front of the fire. Internet is not a given, so if I can't be online, I already wish you Buon Natale! Have fun kex! Owl, don't work too much! Eich, don't kidnap Santa yet! Bye everyone!

EDIT: missing internet is not a given either, so I may in fact be online, which would make this a pretty useless post to begin with. Oh well.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #2590 on: December 24, 2014, 05:02:53 AM »
I'm off, people! Three days up in the mountains with my extended family. There'll be lots to eat and cute cousins to play with and hopefully snowy walks in the morning, immediately followed by some well-deserved rest in front of the fire. Internet is not a given, so if I can't be online, I already wish you Buon Natale! Have fun kex! Owl, don't work too much! Eich, don't kidnap Santa yet! Bye everyone!

EDIT: missing internet is not a given either, so I may in fact be online, which would make this a pretty useless post to begin with. Oh well.

:D enjoy the time with your family!
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2591 on: December 24, 2014, 05:05:16 AM »
Good morning/night/evening to everyone :)
Owl are done with most of the farmwork then or will you have to set out again these next day?

I received a really touching gift only yesterday and still am taken. The person donating it might know if she finds the time to look in here. Christmas is rather different this year and might take place on 27th/28th, but at least my little brother and me made it for a tiny come-together this year. So I hope you are able to be with friends or family and have some pleasant hours or even days with them.
If not I wish you nice encounters with strangers, warm smiles and hugs. Had that type of Christmas once and it turned out to be pretty nice.
Yep, gotta finish it tomorrow (25th) hehe ;_;
That sounds like a lovely thing to be given, whatever it was UuU
Have a happy Christmas kex! :)

Oh! Have fun Nimphy! And wishing you and aaaaaall your family the nicest of Christmases :3 (be extra nice to the tiny cousins, Nimphy, extra nice)
Here it's less than 4 hours til Christmas, so if anyone is going to kidnap Santa and all your presents it's ME!! >8D
hehe I'm kidding ;3

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #2592 on: December 24, 2014, 07:16:06 AM »
Is there anything that blessed tape can't do?  I would never have thought "Tarantula bristle removal" would be on the list of things it can do.

I know. For my "Technology and Research" exam in highschool, we were given two large rolls of duct tape and one roll of steel wire. I was so happy.

Anyway, merry christmas everyone!

Me and Kiwi are ready.

I spent the morning actually playing with my cat with a piece of paper on a string. He's ten years old now and hasn't played like that in years. I guess he's getting bored, seeing as there's snow everywhere and he can't chase mice and birds like he usually does.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #2593 on: December 24, 2014, 07:36:15 AM »
All my gifts are wrapped, my whole family has arrived and the lights on the Christmas tree are on. Let Christmas Eve begin! :) I wish you all happy holidays.
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #2594 on: December 24, 2014, 10:11:49 AM »
All my gifts are wrapped, my whole family has arrived and the lights on the Christmas tree are on. Let Christmas Eve begin! :) I wish you all happy holidays.

Hmm... Guess my family does it backwards (not that it really suprises me) because we had the family over first, then they left, and now we're wrapping presents.
I'm no expert on people, Piney, but when my mom gets all confused like that it's usually because she wants to understand. My mom, my brother, and I are the nerdy/geeky/introverts of the family who take great joy in Star Trek, a:tla, comics, and fiction and non fiction. Meanwhile my sister and dad are extroverted "normal" people who glare from the corners with their Star Wars, reality tv, and a total absence of reading material. It's kind of funny, actually.

Have a good holiday everyone!