Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409187 times)

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #2520 on: December 20, 2014, 09:14:07 PM »
HEY GUYS I'M A RANGER NOW  8)
AND YES I MADE A WHOLE POST JUST TO SAY THAT
(and I didn't want my 500th post to be in the game thread)

Congrats, Piney!  Welcome to our merry band.  You'll receive your Ranger knife and insignia at our next promotion ceremony, sometime after Christmas. 

Your post also brought the number of screens within GDB to 100, so there's that.   ;)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #2521 on: December 20, 2014, 09:21:49 PM »
I always tend to arrive at least an hour or two early (but always inform the host at least 2hours prior) because I usually can't stay for the whole party and leave three hours early :P
I just help them cook and set up decorations and things X3

Off topic: on a lunch break from irrigation maintenance. Oh boy. I had to dig a 2 ft x 5 inch hole into solid ground with my gloved hands to blindly locate a buried pipe with a connection-hole in it. I found the pipe, and the hole but didn't have the correct spare parts in my equipment: (check out my fancy non-technical terms) a small top-hat-shaped rubber washer and a double-sided small-end connector. Not to mention it was all underwater ;___;
So I dug a small drain down the hill (my hands feel dead now) which drained the water, then I madly crammed a large top-hat washer in the hole, then for the connector pipe I had to use a rubber top hat to cram the pipe into a large joiner, then I found a small joiner down the bottom of my bucket (it's was like, 10 years old with wire on it) and I shaped one of its ends with my clippers so it would squeeze into the large joiner (I had to lean all my weight on it for it to go in >8/) and then the small end WOULD fit into the rubber washer in the buried pipe and it woooooorrrrrked! Yeah! North block back online :D
I was also covered in mud and water and a leech but it was ok O____O
[/ramble]

HEY GUYS I'M A RANGER NOW  8)
AND YES I MADE A WHOLE POST JUST TO SAY THAT
(and I didn't want my 500th post to be in the game thread)
YEEEEEAAAAAHHHH!!!!!! :D
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #2522 on: December 20, 2014, 09:32:15 PM »
Off topic: on a lunch break from irrigation maintenance. Oh boy. I had to dig a 2 ft x 5 inch hole into solid ground with my gloved hands to blindly locate a buried pipe with a connection-hole in it. I found the pipe, and the hole but didn't have the correct spare parts in my equipment: (check out my fancy non-technical terms) a small top-hat-shaped rubber washer and a double-sided small-end connector. Not to mention it was all underwater ;___;
So I dug a small drain down the hill (my hands feel dead now) which drained the water, then I madly crammed a large top-hat washer in the hole, then for the connector pipe I had to use a rubber top hat to cram the pipe into a large joiner, then I found a small joiner down the bottom of my bucket (it's was like, 10 years old with wire on it) and I shaped one of its ends with my clippers so it would squeeze into the large joiner (I had to lean all my weight on it for it to go in >8/) and then the small end WOULD fit into the rubber washer in the buried pipe and it woooooorrrrrked! Yeah! North block back online :D
[/ramble]

I'd like you to know that my admiration for you has just risen another notch.

Seriously, beyond all that "digging and making stuff fit together," the "oh and a leech" part would have made me scream and run for the indoors.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2523 on: December 20, 2014, 09:37:44 PM »

Seriously, beyond all that "digging and making stuff fit together," the "oh and a leech" part would have made me scream and run for the indoors.
There are notches?? X'P aw thanks! I think I needed that, I'm covered in sunscreen and hay fever is trying to murder me so I feel sorta like poop but not so much now. ;3

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2524 on: December 20, 2014, 10:03:40 PM »
[/ramble]
Oh man... I would not have the energy or determination to do that. And a leech? *shudders* I admire you too, Owl! :) Feel better!

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #2525 on: December 20, 2014, 10:57:56 PM »
Hmmm... My sister is terrified of leeches. I keep telling her that leeches don't live in Washington, but I don't think she believes me.

The last of the guests left a few minutes ago. As much as I don't like parties and having people in our house, it was so much fun.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2526 on: December 20, 2014, 11:19:35 PM »

All of this, basically.  You're a badass gal, Owl.
Leeches... ugh.

Hmmm... My sister is terrified of leeches. I keep telling her that leeches don't live in Washington, but I don't think she believes me.

The last of the guests left a few minutes ago. As much as I don't like parties and having people in our house, it was so much fun.
That's how I've felt about the last couple of days, with all of my family over.  I was really tired, but it was nice seeing them, so I'm happy.
Feel free to PM.

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #2527 on: December 20, 2014, 11:43:39 PM »
keep telling her that leeches don't live in Washington,

But... there are leeches in Washington.

unless you mean DC, if that's the case then no. They can't compete when it comes to bloodsucking with all the politicians.

You'll receive your Ranger knife and insignia

Do I detect a Metro 2033 reference there?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 11:45:54 PM by Solokov »
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #2528 on: December 21, 2014, 02:28:30 AM »

Do I detect a Metro 2033 reference there?

Nope, I'm never up to date with what the cool kids are reading/watching/playing.  :) I'm still working my way through a backlog of triple-decker Victorian novels (and then the final season of "Breaking Bad," and after that "The Americans").   

I was just thinking what would be an appropriate symbol of Ranger status.  I've already been "giving out" spotter scopes and a patch for Scouts.  Nimphy has gotten the keys to the control tower of her derelict airport (but clearing out the trolls is up to her). 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2529 on: December 21, 2014, 02:29:56 AM »
We finished the hill! Eeee! Uuuugggghhh. Tomorrow we'll be doing the Flat, which has just been mowed so at least it looks....nice....? Hehe it looks so tiny, but feels like a maze of doom:

And my repairs! HahaHAHAHA *mad scientist laugh*
((None of those buildings is my house, btw, but we do own the green-roof one. It's the nightmare house straight out of an indie horror game o___O we used to own the little cute one too (but never lived in either of them) but we sold it to an old lady who installed a faux gold spa??? What??))
« Last Edit: December 21, 2014, 02:46:36 AM by OrigamiOwl »

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #2530 on: December 21, 2014, 07:32:05 AM »
We finished the hill! Eeee! Uuuugggghhh. Tomorrow we'll be doing the Flat, which has just been mowed so at least it looks....nice....? Hehe it looks so tiny, but feels like a maze of doom:

((None of those buildings is my house, btw, but we do own the green-roof one. It's the nightmare house straight out of an indie horror game o___O we used to own the little cute one too (but never lived in either of them) but we sold it to an old lady who installed a faux gold spa??? What??))

You live in a beautiful place Owl. It reminds me a little of home, only, you know, less snow.
Oh, and yes, I agree with everyone else. You are a total badass.
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

noako

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #2531 on: December 21, 2014, 08:21:19 AM »
oh my god i'm so tired

i'm moving on the 27th, to a smaller apartment

i have work everyday until 23rd, but then i'm going to my parents and returning on 26th

i'm almost done packing but everything is a mess and ughhh

there's a saying in finland saying basically "thank god christmas is only once a year" and i'm feeling it so hard now

that's what's going around my life now

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #2532 on: December 21, 2014, 09:38:11 AM »

But... there are leeches in Washington.

Well, okay. Fine. Nobody tell her that. We've told her it's to cold for them - and it probably is where we live.

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #2533 on: December 21, 2014, 11:09:32 AM »
My uncle sent mom a document to translate in English, and she gave it to me. I feel honoured. Buuut... ahem... Transfer to a place or at a place? Just to be sure...
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2534 on: December 21, 2014, 11:12:22 AM »
My uncle sent mom a document to translate in English, and she gave it to me. I feel honoured. Buuut... ahem... Transfer to a place or at a place? Just to be sure...

Transfer to a place~

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13: