Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410384 times)

Shine

• Ranger
  • I'm probably a person.
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #17325 on: May 25, 2017, 01:01:29 AM »
The beautiful being that is Neil Gaiman has promised to read a (apparently amusing) menu and Dr Seuss if people donate enough money to this: https://www.crowdrise.com/neil-gaiman-will-do-a-live-reading-of-the-cheesecake-factory-menu-if-we-raise-500000-for-refugees
Personally I think this is a great incentive for the internet, and I thought any of you who hadn't heard about it might like to.
Native :italy:
Fluent :uk: :germany:
Want to learn :norway: :finland:

Survived:        :chap5::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18:

Gwenno

• Valkyrie
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Be the change you wish to see
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #17326 on: May 27, 2017, 08:57:37 AM »
Dunno if anyone would be interested, but my friend recommended a website where you can learn to code online for free. I've been going though it for a few weeks now, and it's really good stuff. There's a whole bunch of different styles to chose from, and it has been absolutely fascinating to learn about them  ^-^ I figured that for anyone with an interest in learning to code, it might be useful information :D https://www.codecademy.com/learn
You're a fool if you dance or not so you might as well dance

Fluent: :wls: :gb:
駄洒落だけ: :jp:
Working on it :nl:
Tourist level: :es: :fr: :it:

Chapter break survivor : :artd: :book1+: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14:
Soulcount: 10

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Roleplay doc

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
« Reply #17327 on: May 29, 2017, 06:15:01 PM »
Does anyone know easy remedies for sunburn? I was regrettably outside without sunscreen today and my forearms have turned a rather nice shade of lobster. I tried rubbing aloe vera on them, that's helped a bit. :-\
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #17328 on: May 29, 2017, 07:35:07 PM »
Does anyone know easy remedies for sunburn? I was regrettably outside without sunscreen today and my forearms have turned a rather nice shade of lobster. I tried rubbing aloe vera on them, that's helped a bit. :-\

Keep your skin moisturized and maybe wear a damp shirt. Wikipedia says ibuprofen and aspirin might help too.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #17329 on: May 29, 2017, 07:50:13 PM »
As Sc0ut says, protect the skin from further exposure. Aloe vera is good, also try chilled black tea as a local application, or chilled fennel or calendula tea.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Athena

« Reply #17330 on: May 29, 2017, 11:45:34 PM »
Thanks for the advice! I tried putting a damp cloth over them, that provided some, if momentary, relief. I'll have a poke around for some moisturizer, and chilled black tea is certainly doable, I'd like to try that. Again, thanks :)

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #17331 on: May 30, 2017, 10:20:27 AM »
We STILL have no decaf in the office
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Abprallen

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • The Frenchiest of Fries
« Reply #17332 on: May 30, 2017, 11:35:55 AM »
Luth - you'll want to stay hydrated too, so drink plenty of water! I don't really have much else to add - the extent of my knowledge has already been reached by others. Sunburns are so unpleasant.

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #17333 on: May 30, 2017, 01:15:54 PM »
Continuing on this topic of "I went outside and something there hurt me," does anybody know how to get mosquito bites to stop itching? Just got back from camping over the long weekend and the bugs were awful because of a warm wet spring :(
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Athena

« Reply #17334 on: May 30, 2017, 01:51:58 PM »
Continuing on this topic of "I went outside and something there hurt me," does anybody know how to get mosquito bites to stop itching? Just got back from camping over the long weekend and the bugs were awful because of a warm wet spring :(

Apparently rubbing the inside of a banana peel on them helps - but I'm not sure if that's true. As far as more legitimate options go, there's a variety of anti-itch creams available, like AfterBite, which you should be able to find at a nearby drug store.

Abprallen: Thats a good point too, thanks! I don't usually drink enough water as I should so that's certainly a thing to keep in check.

Shine

• Ranger
  • I'm probably a person.
« Reply #17335 on: May 30, 2017, 04:33:47 PM »
I usually try to keep them cool, but it's a bit impractical as a solution for someone who isn't at home or at the beach.
sorry
Native :italy:
Fluent :uk: :germany:
Want to learn :norway: :finland:

Survived:        :chap5::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18:

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #17336 on: May 30, 2017, 04:49:40 PM »

The most important thing in my experience is, whatever you do, do NOT scratch them. A fresh bite itches like hell for about 5-10 minutes, but if you distract yourself and don't touch it, it becomes much more bearable after that. However, those 5 minutes reset every single time you scratch.

I'm sure Róisín will provide some plant remedies soon. My intuition is that something minty should help, due to the cooling effect, but i'm literally just guessing so if you want to test this, do it on a small area and let me know if it works (and please don't hate me if it actually makes it worse :D) I sadly live in a city that's so sprayed against insects that I forgot what mosquitoes even sound like, otherwise I'd do the science myself.

Abprallen

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • The Frenchiest of Fries
« Reply #17337 on: May 30, 2017, 05:11:37 PM »

Seconding Luth and Sc0ut here- banana peels are good, and do not scratch them. Ice them if you must, but just don't itch them!!
They sell things that zap them to numb them - I used them a lot when I was in the Netherlands - but I'm not sure how practical they'd be for anyone and you'd have to be okay with giving yourself an electric shock. They did work, though! Maybe have one for future use?

Basse

• Scout
  • I don't know what I'm doing!
« Reply #17338 on: May 30, 2017, 05:57:38 PM »
I got some hydrocortisone ointment for insects bite, sunburn and mild rash from the pharmacy, other than that I second Sc0uts suggestion: DON'T TOUCH OR SCRATCH IT!
Native: :sweden:
:chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
:book3:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #17339 on: May 30, 2017, 06:17:37 PM »
Along the same line of thinking of "don't scratch it," a large bandage put over the bite(s) will make it impossible to scratch! It can keep topical treatments from rubbing off, as well.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!