Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387231 times)

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #2310 on: December 11, 2014, 02:56:17 AM »
Ah, names. So much fun.

My first name is technically androgynous, but is traditionally more common in boys. Substitute teachers often are surprised to see I am not a boy when they call roll. Fun fact: I was named after a local street. My middle name is sort-of based off of my grandma's maiden name and was intended to be used in case I wanted something "girly" to use. My last name is really very common. I have a friend who spells it the same way I do - and we're not related in any way as her family comes from Asia.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #2311 on: December 11, 2014, 11:06:05 AM »
thank you guys, really thank you all. I finnished the math-part with an A so I am more than happy right now.

As we are at names, I found this one near the village I'm living. We actually have bought bread there sometimes :D:

Translation: Freshness (there must be a word fitting better I think) and Quality - Bakery Eich - since 1935

My first name often lead to comments about me not being dark skinned, thin and a topmodel ten years ago, so you might have a guess with which celebraty I have to share it. My parents took it from the bible and not from her, though. My second is of greek (relating to my greek grandma) and my Surname is of French descend.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 11:07:56 AM by kex »
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #2312 on: December 11, 2014, 11:14:45 AM »
thank you guys, really thank you all. I finnished the math-part with an A so I am more than happy right now.

Translation: Freshness (there must be a word fitting better I think) and Quality - Bakery Eich - since 1935

The first thing I thought was "Hobo!" and then I realized what the words actually were.

And congrats on the test! Math is one of my weaknesses, so I'm glad you could get an A.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #2313 on: December 11, 2014, 11:32:05 AM »
thank you guys, really thank you all. I finished the math-part with an A so I am more than happy right now.

Congratulations!  I knew you'd do well.   :)

Nope, your translation sounds good.  Lots of bakeries brag about their freshness. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #2314 on: December 11, 2014, 11:45:50 AM »
The first thing I thought was "Hobo!" and then I realized what the words actually were.

And congrats on the test! Math is one of my weaknesses, so I'm glad you could get an A.

It was an exam on my ability to teach others math ;). So in 55 days I hopefully will be allowed to teach pupils up to tenth grade how to do math. Fun Fact: In School I barely managed to finnish with a B and my math teacher said, she hoped I would not need to do math in my job :D I needed university to understand what the hell she wanted from us during all those years in school.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #2315 on: December 11, 2014, 11:55:21 AM »
Congratulations! Math is a tricky thing in high school, so, like, wow, you did great!  :)
(Also, if my guess is correct, I think your name is beautiful. Too bad it isn't used in our culture.)

It was an exam on my ability to teach others math ;). So in 55 days I hopefully will be allowed to teach pupils up to tenth grade how to do math. Fun Fact: In School I barely managed to finnish with a B and my math teacher said, she hoped I would not need to do math in my job :D I needed university to understand what the hell she wanted from us during all those years in school.

Same story with the law. We had a shourt course in school and oh my, I just couldn't be any good at it, and I thougt I'll never ever need it in my life. But in the university everything went better, and it took me couple of years to figure out that knowing at least some basics might come very in handy. Also, in university they not only teach you theoretical things, but also make you learn to use your brain effectively, which is more imortant.
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #2316 on: December 11, 2014, 12:38:56 PM »
... but also make you learn to use your brain effectively, which is more imortant.
For Philosophy I would agree (only regarding the two universities I studied at), but besides that it was down to really impressive professors who knew how to bring theories into your mind you could connect them to something you understood. Especially on the theories behind teaching I did not learn much to be called usefull. The Theories always went about stuff you could explain by rational thinking and some common knowledge on how to interact nicely with other people. But I liked university somehow. Met many nice people there, could sleep long and learned funny games like Munchkin. :D

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #2317 on: December 11, 2014, 01:16:37 PM »
As we're discussing marks, I just got a 105/100 in IT  ;D All happy etcetera! Until this guy shows me his own test. 110/100. Damn it. Now I have a 9.875 in IT, which means I should get a 10 in the mid-year report paper thingy, buuuut since it would raise chaos (new student at this important and difficult high school with a 10 on an official document?!) the teacher told me tomorrow I could take another test. And I'd have to be more than perfect to get that mark. Hey, I'm up for it!
Will someone now please explain me how did I manage to have an average score of 7 in Maths and Physics yet a 10 in IT?!?
And will someone PLEASE explain to me how it is that our class averaged 4.something in the last science test and more than doule that score in this IT test?!? (May have something to do with the fact that our science teacher has a 30-40% passing rate in all of her classes, but come on, how did we manage that!?)
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #2318 on: December 11, 2014, 01:28:28 PM »
As we're discussing marks, I just got a 105/100 in IT  ;D All happy etcetera! Until this guy shows me his own test. 110/100. Damn it. Now I have a 9.875 in IT, which means I should get a 10 in the mid-year report paper thingy, buuuut since it would raise chaos (new student at this important and difficult high school with a 10 on an official document?!) the teacher told me tomorrow I could take another test. And I'd have to be more than perfect to get that mark. Hey, I'm up for it!
Will someone now please explain me how did I manage to have an average score of 7 in Maths and Physics yet a 10 in IT?!?
And will someone PLEASE explain to me how it is that our class averaged 4.something in the last science test and more than doule that score in this IT test?!? (May have something to do with the fact that our science teacher has a 30-40% passing rate in all of her classes, but come on, how did we manage that!?)

Ouhm. Dunno, but I'm sure you will do fine tomorrow. And IT is very important, especially as people tend to just know how to use their smartphones but be more and more unable to write small computercodes. I'm afraid of smartphones, because many simple tricks I can use on linux and windows would not work with android and I have not figured out how to apply them.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #2319 on: December 11, 2014, 03:52:57 PM »
Okay I gotta bring the conversation down for a second--apologies.

A couple days ago a friend--who is smarter and wiser and more observant than I am by far--pointed out to me that I've officially slipped back into depression. Most of the time when this happens it's triggered by something that I can identify with some work, and I just have to deal with the trigger and then go into coping mode for a week or two until I find my equilibrium again. This has been going on for months now, and if there's a trigger for it (other than winter coming on) I haven't been able to find it. So I promised her that I would see a doctor.

...And I'm gonna do that. I will, because I promised her and she's one of those friends that's worth keeping promises to, even when depression is making me a crappy person to be friends with. But I'm sitting here avoiding the phone and making excuses at myself. (I'm not suicidal this time, that means it's not actually serious and I can just ride it out! The last few days have been awesome, maybe that means it's evening out now! Nevermind that I've been so hyper it could just as easily be hypomania, which would absolutely require medical attention. I can handle it! It's not that bad!) I just... can't even express how much I do not want any of this. I don't want to have to find a psychiatrist in my area who doesn't make my skin crawl, I don't want to deal with insurance, and I don't want to go on meds again. I had hoped I would never have to.

But I've gotta make that call in the next few hours, or I'll end up never doing it at all. And I could use whatever good luck you guys can send my way!

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2320 on: December 11, 2014, 04:05:34 PM »
Best wishes to you, Hushpiper!! Virtual hugs to you!

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #2321 on: December 11, 2014, 04:08:09 PM »
But I've gotta make that call in the next few hours, or I'll end up never doing it at all. And I could use whatever good luck you guys can send my way!

Good luck! You can handle it, it's totally possible, we believe in you.  :)
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2322 on: December 11, 2014, 04:14:54 PM »

You don't ever need to apologise for wanting to talk Hush, *giant hugs*

If you need to make those phone calls then you go make 'em buddy! Do what you gotta do to keep you you. :)

Can I ask what it was your friend noticed? I've got a similar situation, but if you don't want to that's fine :3
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #2323 on: December 11, 2014, 04:17:48 PM »

A couple days ago a friend--who is smarter and wiser and more observant than I am by far--pointed out to me that I've officially slipped back into depression. Most of the time when this happens it's triggered by something that I can identify with some work, and I just have to deal with the trigger and then go into coping mode for a week or two until I find my equilibrium again. This has been going on for months now, and if there's a trigger for it (other than winter coming on) I haven't been able to find it. So I promised her that I would see a doctor.

...And I'm gonna do that. I will, because I promised her and she's one of those friends that's worth keeping promises to, even when depression is making me a crappy person to be friends with. But I'm sitting here avoiding the phone and making excuses at myself. (I'm not suicidal this time, that means it's not actually serious and I can just ride it out! The last few days have been awesome, maybe that means it's evening out now! Nevermind that I've been so hyper it could just as easily be hypomania, which would absolutely require medical attention. I can handle it! It's not that bad!) I just... can't even express how much I do not want any of this. I don't want to have to find a psychiatrist in my area who doesn't make my skin crawl, I don't want to deal with insurance, and I don't want to go on meds again. I had hoped I would never have to.

Sorry, I can't kindly wish you good luck in picking up that phone. Instead I'll order you to stop reading right now, make that call and be done with it. You're still reading, aren't you? Make that call. Now.

Now that the call part is dealt with, I wish you the bestest of luck with whatever comes now, and as everyone else I trust in you to battle depression and come here as cheery as ever to overanalyze unfiroms and talk about personalities. Get well soon! :)
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #2324 on: December 11, 2014, 04:20:36 PM »

Hey, think of it as getting your car fixed, or the oil changed.  It's just one of those maintenance things you have to do sometimes, you know?  (I've had to wrestle with some of those issues, so I really feel for you.)

And don't feel you need to apologize for changing the subject.  One thing all of us forum members have in common is the love of a story about friendship and teamwork -- and how a group of flawed people find that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.  (Assuming you aren't too picky about losing a rear-view mirror here and there...)

My point is that just like the Green Berets legendarily never leave a man behind, neither would the SSSS team.  And neither would we. 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany: