Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387551 times)

Fauna

• Safe-Zone Citizen
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #17085 on: February 20, 2017, 05:14:31 PM »
Yeah, that sounds about right for university. On my first day I was wearing this nice Autumn-coloured long skirt with a lace underskirt to stiffen it (it was the 1950s, okay?), low-heeled court shoes, a cream blouse and a neat little brown linen jacket. I ripped my outfit, lost a shoe and wound up covered with undefined but very smelly filth in the course of rescuing a distressed kitten from a dumpster behind the chemistry building. Thereby establishing a reputation as 'nice but odd, and not at all proper', a reputation which was only reinforced as time went on.

But I kept the kitten.
That's amazing. What did you name it?

I started my folk high school course today. I'm quite relieved by my lack of interesting stories to share, lol.

Had my first-ever trip to an IKEA today. Now must collapse for a few hours.
You brave soul....
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 05:17:02 PM by Fauna »

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #17086 on: February 20, 2017, 09:07:57 PM »
Fauna: I named her Minnow. She stank of something fishy, and was very tiny. She never grew very big, years later she still liked to snuggle in a coat pocket. Several of my smaller cats have liked that.  I've noticed that cats that have starved as kittens go one of two ways: either they stay very small, or they turn into great hulking brutes, nothing inbetween.

And I'm glad your first day was uneventful. Folk High School?

Thorny: sounds like the start of my day. Except my beloved usually brings me a cup of tea in bed first. We're both fairly decrepit, but he is generally in better shape in the morning, whereas I'm more use later in the day.

OwlsGo: did your hives go down okay? Sometimes old-fashioned calamine lotion can help with that, if you don't mind the chalky-pink colour.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #17087 on: February 20, 2017, 10:41:45 PM »
Just swung by the 7-11 for lunch and they were playing Christmas music over the speakers. Why.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

OwlsG0

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #17088 on: February 20, 2017, 10:48:29 PM »
OwlsGo: did your hives go down okay? Sometimes old-fashioned calamine lotion can help with that, if you don't mind the chalky-pink colour.

Unfortunately not! I'm on a steroid treatment course (my sister is waiting for me to bulk-up like Schwarzenegger) with cream and oral tablets, and my mother's pouring various herbal teas down my throat. I have no idea what she's giving me but I'm drinking tea with wild abandon. Calamine lotion? Can I get that from a chemist or should I look it up in my local naturopath's health store?
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Róisín

« Reply #17089 on: February 20, 2017, 11:13:24 PM »
Chemist, some supermarkets in their health and beauty sections. It's not a prescription item, just an over-the-counter remedy. Less longterm effects than steroids. It has gone out of fashion because it sits on the skin like one of those zinc sunscreens, but it works fine. It's a zinc oxide/ferric oxide compound.

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #17090 on: February 20, 2017, 11:44:29 PM »
Just swung by the 7-11 for lunch and they were playing Christmas music over the speakers. Why.

There is no escape from the holiday cheer.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Fauna

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #17091 on: February 21, 2017, 01:24:43 AM »
Fauna: I named her Minnow. She stank of something fishy, and was very tiny. She never grew very big, years later she still liked to snuggle in a coat pocket. Several of my smaller cats have liked that.  I've noticed that cats that have starved as kittens go one of two ways: either they stay very small, or they turn into great hulking brutes, nothing inbetween.

And I'm glad your first day was uneventful. Folk High School?
Pocket cat. My goodness, that's adorable.

Folk high school is a secondary ed for adults that we have in Scandinavia. Mine can grant an academic degree but folk high schools typically have a lot of freedom to set up their own curriculum and focus on practical things. This one is pretty amazing, I ended up living in an eco village for handicrafters and gardeners.  ;D

Róisín

« Reply #17092 on: February 21, 2017, 02:05:59 AM »
We have Council of Adult Education, Open University and University of the Third Age. These are a great idea. Yours sounds great, like one of our Community Colleges. What do you intend to study?

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #17093 on: February 21, 2017, 08:36:09 AM »
... the staff revolted when they tried to route it onto their headphones so as not to annoy the customers?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Fauna

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #17094 on: February 21, 2017, 09:48:01 AM »
Gardening, with a sprinkle of related handicrafts like herbalism, basic house building skills and woodwork. I'm taking the academic side course so I'll be filling in the holes in my grades 50% of the time.

It's amazing. We're outside state curriculum so I'm free to tailor my own education to fill in my specific gaps in knowledge.

There is no escape from the holiday cheer.
You didn't hear this from me, but i heard it is a government conspiracy. Santa originally invented the technology behind it, before his assassination in the 90's. Rumor has it that specific frequencies in popular Christmas carols are useful for monitoring brain wave activity. Originally Santa used it to monitor childrens good or bad behavior, but nowadays it's used to control us. It's the real reason behind the huge holiday craze promoted by big business the last couple of decades. The longer the Christmas season, the more intel. The holiday season will just keep growing longer, drawing more and more people to the super malls...

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #17095 on: February 21, 2017, 12:16:26 PM »
You didn't hear this from me, but i heard it is a government conspiracy. Santa originally invented the technology behind it, before his assassination in the 90's. Rumor has it that specific frequencies in popular Christmas carols are useful for monitoring brain wave activity. Originally Santa used it to monitor childrens good or bad behavior, but nowadays it's used to control us. It's the real reason behind the huge holiday craze promoted by big business the last couple of decades. The longer the Christmas season, the more intel. The holiday season will just keep growing longer, drawing more and more people to the super malls...

Why that's an interesting theory you have there.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #17096 on: February 21, 2017, 02:55:27 PM »
Why that's an interesting theory you have there.

Get that thing away from me.
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Fluent :usa:
Learning :germany:
Can count in :japan:
Actually learned a lot of in elementary school, but can now only remember how to decline verbs :vaticancity:
Maybe some day :norway:

OwlsG0

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #17097 on: February 21, 2017, 05:39:25 PM »

Belatedly, yes, this is totally true! My cats are from the same litter; they were washed out of their nest in a storm and possibly fished out of a storm drain. Had a feral mother who never managed to find them again, or abandoned them. The black cat, whose name is Manita (short for 'Hermanita') has turned out looking like a professional wrestler with a beer belly while her brother, Garcia, is a dainty skinny gentleman who can still fit into the desk drawer where he used to snuggle when he was a kitten.

It's given them weird eating habits as well: Garcia eats brocoli and peas, literally, he will climb into the sink and eat them out of the strainer, and thinks it an inalienable right to help himself to whatever's on my plate. Meanwhile Manita, in spite of being fat and therefore, you would assume, very slow, is a sinister hunter and has literally chattered birds right out of trees. I caught her trying to take on an Eastern Water Dragon half her size yesterday and she got mad at me of all things for taking her away from that suicide mission!
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Shine

• Ranger
  • I'm probably a person.
« Reply #17098 on: February 22, 2017, 12:56:01 AM »
There are daffodils on the lawn outside my school.
Daffodils!
It's february, spring shouldn't start for another month! I was still hoping for a vaguely coldish winter, but now I won't be able to, because it'll kill the flowers and I don't like that. This is so annoying, please keep talking about kitties
Native :italy:
Fluent :uk: :germany:
Want to learn :norway: :finland:

Survived:        :chap5::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18:

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
« Reply #17099 on: February 25, 2017, 11:11:46 PM »
It's February and we just had a really bad thunderstorm. ...Did I mention that it's February? We shouldn't be having thunderstorms! We had one snow storm! That one storm dropped almost a foot of snow! The next week we go back to late-Spring weather! WHY.
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: