Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387367 times)

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #2280 on: December 10, 2014, 11:09:40 AM »
I just realized that my name is one of the easiest to get...

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #2281 on: December 10, 2014, 11:11:04 AM »
I associate people ntd contexts with a particular... Feeling. Every context or person gives me a... Well, a feeling, it's different. So I'm likely to associate Piney with the particular feeling she has, and that feeling is made of all senses (quiet vs. Noisy; light vs. Dark; etc.)

Yes, this! I usually call it shapes or textures, but I couldn't say "oh Nimphy has a texture like shag carpet" or anything. It's really just... The feel of them in your mind. (Scent is just such an expressive sense that it's easier for me to translate that feeling into smells than into, say, sights or sounds.) I think everybody does that to an extent-- it's just way more obvious with people online, because your mental sense of them isn't obscured by the actual physical reality of them. You know?

Wow that's specific! I wish I smelled like that.

Heee! Well I suspect in person you smell like, well, a person, rather than a juniper tree. :P I've got a perfume that smells very much like that though, just without the sort of warm spiciness you've got... *looks for it* This one.

"Manly"... riiiight...
(Okay, I do draw people a bit androgynously)

PFFFFT well, you're in good company here, right?

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #2282 on: December 10, 2014, 11:18:12 AM »
I just realized that my name is one of the easiest to get...

Sorry, but I've only got a strong association with Russian president here.  :o
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2283 on: December 10, 2014, 11:25:36 AM »
Heee! Well I suspect in person you smell like, well, a person, rather than a juniper tree. :P I've got a perfume that smells very much like that though, just without the sort of warm spiciness you've got... *looks for it* This one.

Well... I have no idea what I actually smell like. I don't think I've ever worn perfume... I used to have a little tiny vial of some kind of perfume that my grandma gave me but I accidentally broke it yesterday and ended up smelling like flowers for a while  :D

PFFFFT well, you're in good company here, right?

Right.  8)

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #2284 on: December 10, 2014, 11:27:40 AM »
Sorry, but I've only got a strong association with Russian president here.  :o

Hahaha  :D
One when I played Dota2 with my friend I changed the 'k' -letter with 'p' and converted whole name into cyrillic.

But, still, my name is just couple of clicks away.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 11:33:29 AM by Oskutin »

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #2285 on: December 10, 2014, 03:39:14 PM »
Tomorrow is my last smaller practical exam before the final tests in february. Nearly 8 Years of Training will finally come to an end. My colleague has been sick for the last three weeks, so I had to organize the kids on my own, which was in a way really exhausting, but on the other hand I got a strong attachement to the group. I have never been alone with the group during an exam afore and the boys are used to be tought by two teachers. But it will work out somehow. The class said, they really want me to do well. So I think it might turn out well tomorrow. Some work is to be done before I can go to bed, so off I go. Wish you all a pleasant evening.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #2286 on: December 10, 2014, 03:49:28 PM »
Tomorrow is my last smaller practical exam before the final tests in february. Nearly 8 Years of Training will finally come to an end. My colleague has been sick for the last three weeks, so I had to organize the kids on my own, which was in a way really exhausting, but on the other hand I got a strong attachement to the group. I have never been alone with the group during an exam afore and the boys are used to be tought by two teachers. But it will work out somehow. The class said, they really want me to do well. So I think it might turn out well tomorrow. Some work is to be done before I can go to bed, so off I go. Wish you all a pleasant evening.

Good luck kex! We all believe in you, you'll do great! Now go and rest a little, you deserve it :)
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #2287 on: December 10, 2014, 04:04:51 PM »
Good luck kex! We all believe in you, you'll do great! Now go and rest a little, you deserve it :)

Yes, good luck!  Break a leg, or whatever Germans say!  I know it'll go fine if your class is behind you like that. 

- Sunflower
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #2288 on: December 10, 2014, 04:17:29 PM »

Wish you well! And I hope your rest is...restful :)

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2289 on: December 10, 2014, 04:52:56 PM »
I too have a Special Starbucks Name! Because while my name isn't THAT hard to spell, I tend to mumble when I talk and coffee shops are noisy places that tend to have lineups, so it's easy to just throw out "Alex" and not keep everyone waiting with my not-common-in-North-America name.
My first name is common, but my middle and last names aren't.  Actually, my middle name is just a word.  :p  While I don't have to use a special Starbucks name, teachers in class never get my last name right.  I've been called "Eek," "Each," "Eye-k," and even "Ouch."  Freaking "Ouch."

I had a friend in high school who was from Uganda, and I was one of the only ones who could pronounce his last name! ;D

Edit:  Ah, not sure how I missed your post, Kex!  Good luck!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 05:06:13 PM by Eich »
Feel free to PM.

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #2290 on: December 10, 2014, 05:04:43 PM »
Ouch, that's hard. ;) My surname is one of the most common ones in Germany, but I still have to spell it quite often because there are three different versions (Schmid, Schmidt, Schmitt).

Kex, good luck for your exam!
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #2291 on: December 10, 2014, 05:10:51 PM »
My last name is very rare, actually it's unique, only 16 persons in Finland have same lastname.

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #2292 on: December 10, 2014, 05:15:18 PM »

Oh wow, that's a big milestone for you! Sleep well and good luck, Kex!

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #2293 on: December 10, 2014, 05:16:38 PM »
My first name is common, but my middle and last names aren't.  Actually, my middle name is just a word.  :p  While I don't have to use a special Starbucks name, teachers in class never get my last name right.  I've been called "Eek," "Each," "Eye-k," and even "Ouch."  Freaking "Ouch."

Ouch, that must have hurt you  ;D

My first name is quite common in Albania (and as most Albanian names, it has a meaning which is not hidden and does not need ethymology research, it is a real word and of common use), my surname not so much, as most surnames are different anyway. To Italians they both sound weird, but I...
1) Always have to spell out my surname whenever someone has to write it down, be it for a medical visit or a pizza delivery
2) Always find out that even after said spelling the people in question still spell it wrong
3) Am one of the few who get mostly called by first name instead of surname, just because it's less weird. It also sound awkward, when a teacher calls everyone else by surname and you by name, but among friends it's good.

Ouch, that's hard. ;) My surname is one of the most common ones in Germany, but I still have to spell it quite often because there are three different versions (Schmid, Schmidt, Schmitt).

Kex, good luck for your exam!

Is it really really bad that the first thing I thought when you said "Schmidt" was "She's related to the Red Skull!"? I've been... "Studying German" too much, I think.
On the subject of "studying German", any movies that were originally in the language, so I don't have to pick up stuff like Captain America again (Hey, I won't complain, but searching is tedious, I'd rather have a list of things to look for) that you'd recommend? And if anyone wants to jump in with Norwegian, they're welcome.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 05:24:01 PM by Nimphy »
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #2294 on: December 10, 2014, 05:18:11 PM »
Best of luck kex! :3

I had a friend in high school who was from Uganda, and I was one of the only ones who could pronounce his last name! ;D
My names are the same way: a was-common old-fashioned name that people always forget or mix up, a noun for a middle name (if I wanted to seem really cheesy and overly-posh I could hyphenate my first and middle names and oh my gosh it'd sound like a fanfic's Mary Sue or something. Or worse, a fem!UK name O__O the horror.) and then my last name. My surname is pretty common, easy to pronounce, but that doesn't stop some people misspelling it or saying it totally wrong XP
I see my last name used a lot for the last names of villains in kids media.... ;___; whyyyy?

My surname is one of the most common ones in Germany, but I still have to spell it quite often because there are three different versions (Schmid, Schmidt, Schmitt).
Hehe I know the feeling!

My last name is very rare, actually it's unique, only 16 persons in Finland have same lastname.
Wow! That's really cool! :3 having a unique last name....*dreams*
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 05:20:26 PM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16: