Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409228 times)

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #2250 on: December 09, 2014, 10:33:59 PM »
EEEEEEE! Helios, no, I haven't heard him! *looks him up* My introduction to the genre was this song... which is not from a post-rock band, lol, and none of their other stuff is much like it. But I started scouring the internet for things similar to it and found Silver Mt. Zion, and God Is An Astronaut, and Agalloch, and so on. :D I was going through a massive Steve Reich phase before that, so it was a fairly natural progression.

Also, with regards to Moonlight Sonata: my sense is that it has... not so much a time signature as a pulse. The song has a heartbeat. And once you get the fingering and movements and technicalities out of the way, you can just sort of--fall into the heartbeat. It's hypnotizing to play. And it can take a hell of a lot of rubato without sounding melodramatic, so staying on beat really isn't so much of a problem. You pause where it feels right to pause, like pausing to breathe when you talk.
Start with the first post in the music thread, if you can. 
He has written some of the best beats and tunes out there, and he's my #1 favorite.  Halving the Compass, and Paper Tiger are just... *implodes*

Edit, okay, rest of the post I forgot about.  I've listened to a little of God is an Astronaut, but none of the others. I'll check them out.  In return, may I recommend This Will Destroy You?  Also, Mithrysc posted some of Aural Method's music in the music thread, and they're really good.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:37:54 PM by Eich »
Feel free to PM.

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #2251 on: December 09, 2014, 10:36:47 PM »
This is exactly me. I'm also game if someone start talking about some obscure topic that I know nothing about but seems really interesting. But normal everyday small talk type of things? No thanks. And people always seem to want to ask "How was your week/day/whatever?". My life is boring. There is nothing to talk about in it. It is completely filled with passive interests. Nothing like "I went to Sydney the other day to listen to an organ recital in St. Andrew's Cathedral" or "I went rock climbing the other day" or "I saw this and this person the other day" or stuff like that. More "I read a book about the history of Japan the other day" or "I've been looking up articles on the particulars of storytelling techniques" or more realistically "I've been holed up in my room all day/week". And I can't help but seriously think about the question "How was your *insert time period here*?" (or any other question of that kind), even if my mind is telling me they only mean it as a civility and they move onto another topic almost immediately. Gaaaaah. Forums are easier than most real people.
I could say same.
For most days i just sit by my computer and bounce around the net and work on the game.
The only interesting (for others) would be that i have met many interesting persons (investors, top professors and etc.) and talked with them.

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #2252 on: December 09, 2014, 10:37:26 PM »
This is exactly me. I'm also game if someone start talking about some obscure topic that I know nothing about but seems really interesting. But normal everyday small talk type of things? No thanks. And people always seem to want to ask "How was your week/day/whatever?". My life is boring. There is nothing to talk about in it. It is completely filled with passive interests. Nothing like "I went to Sydney the other day to listen to an organ recital in St. Andrew's Cathedral" or "I went rock climbing the other day" or "I saw this and this person the other day" or stuff like that. More "I read a book about the history of Japan the other day" or "I've been looking up articles on the particulars of storytelling techniques" or more realistically "I've been holed up in my room all day/week". And I can't help but seriously think about the question "How was your *insert time period here*?" (or any other question of that kind), even if my mind is telling me they only mean it as a civility and they move onto another topic almost immediately. Gaaaaah. Forums are easier than most real people.

ACK YES THIS. (I like caps, have you noticed?) My mom in particular tries very hard to find out what's actually been happening in my life lately, and it is just... There's nothing to talk about. It makes me feel like I'm a boring person. I don't think I'm a boring person, but she apparently brings it out in me.

Agalloch isn't post-rock, is it? I always thought it was more proggy. Worked with them once, very nice people.

You worked with them? Cool! And you're right, they're not post-rock exactly, but they have those elements. Lately I've been obsessing over ????? ????? ????????? ????????, whose name I may never be able to pronounce.

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2253 on: December 09, 2014, 10:46:09 PM »
No biggie really. I just did a lot of artist hospitality in festivals for a while, nothing paid. Remember asking time off from the backstage duties to see their show - it was great. :D And the lights, ah. <3

Yeah that band name just came out as emojis. Those are totally hard to pronounce. ;)

LOL WAT

Yeah okay the forum apparently can't handle Cyrillic characters. Good to know, good to know--it's these guys.

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #2254 on: December 09, 2014, 10:50:42 PM »
LOL WAT

Yeah okay the forum apparently can't handle Cyrillic characters. Good to know, good to know--it's these guys.

My, their titles are brilliant nonsense. Guess I've got to check out post-rock sometime soon (too bad I'm deep rooted old school lover).
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #2255 on: December 09, 2014, 10:52:15 PM »
??????? ???????? ?????????

Yep, they doesn't work here.
Unicode?

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2256 on: December 09, 2014, 10:55:23 PM »
??????? ???????? ?????????

Yep, they doesn't work here.
Unicode?
*Sigh* I'm working on this.  It involves a lot of scary stuff I don't know how to do, though, and I'm nervous about... Destroying everything.
Feel free to PM.

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2257 on: December 09, 2014, 11:03:11 PM »
My, their titles are brilliant nonsense. Guess I've got to check out post-rock sometime soon (too bad I'm deep rooted old school lover).

I know right! The album title is "Even If The Proletariat Takes The Power Into Its Own Hands, The Spring Will Be Left For Us", which is so long that my subsonic server refuses to even recognize that it exists and yet I love it so. Long and ridiculous titles is kind of a thing for a lot of post-rock bands. It is an affectation I hope they never ever grow out of.

*Sigh* I'm working on this.  It involves a lot of scary stuff I don't know how to do, though, and I'm nervous about... Destroying everything.

:| *pats you slowly and mechanically on the shoulder* I would offer to help, but forum software. Agh.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #2258 on: December 09, 2014, 11:34:42 PM »
I've been meaning to ask - is there a general "we should all be anonymous thing" going on in this forum, or is it just some people? There was some discussion on astrology and people's signs and someone wondered if this bordered too close on revealing Real Life Identities. Has this been discussed? And can I stil be openly and blatantly Oda? I do of course have no problem with people wanting to hold back their real names and faces.

I don't recall it being discussed at all, and there are no rules on it. However, as far as I can see, it's be who you like. If you like being completely anonymous, that's fine! If you want to be completely not anonymous at all, that's fine, too! All choices respected.
Am notified of private messages via email.

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2259 on: December 09, 2014, 11:43:56 PM »
I've been meaning to ask - is there a general "we should all be anonymous thing" going on in this forum, or is it just some people? There was some discussion on astrology and people's signs and someone wondered if this bordered too close on revealing Real Life Identities. Has this been discussed? And can I stil be openly and blatantly Oda? I do of course have no problem with people wanting to hold back their real names and faces.

Personally IDGAF. I keep my online and offline lives separate, but that's so that the people I know offline don't find out what a pervy spazzy fanfic-writing nutjob I am--it would lead to awkwardness.

But then, I have issues with secrets in general. I spent a very long time keeping secrets. I'm way beyond sick of them, and I hit the "NEVER AGAIN" threshold a couple years ago. So I go into TMI territory very easily and there are like maaaaaaaybe two things in my life that I refuse to talk about except with people I trust on a very deep and specific level. So my opinion on the matter... might not be the one to go off of. :P

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2260 on: December 09, 2014, 11:56:14 PM »

I kind of thought that there was for a while because I regretted telling everyone in the introduction thread, but really, if you bother to click on my tumblr and deviantArt links, I'm really not too anonymous. I wouldn't, though, reveal my last name or my face... and probably not my hometown. I think someone would only really need to be anonymous if there was some danger in revealing yourself.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2261 on: December 09, 2014, 11:57:35 PM »
Eh, my last name = my username, and everyone knows where I live, so anyone who wants to can find out who I am with relative ease.  I don't know why I haven't brought out my first name, though... I guess... I enjoy the mystery??  I dunno.  Besides, googling people online is creepy as hell.  If I found out someone was doing that, I'd probably drop a temporary ban on them.
Feel free to PM.

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2262 on: December 10, 2014, 12:03:34 AM »
Eh, my last name = my username, and everyone knows where I live, so anyone who wants to can find out who I am with relative ease.  I don't know why I haven't brought out my first name, though... I guess... I enjoy the mystery??  I dunno.  Besides, googling people online is creepy as hell.  If I found out someone was doing that, I'd probably drop a temporary ban on them.

*google stalks Eich*

Wait no okay serious question here: Eich is your last name then, yes? How do you pronounce it?

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2263 on: December 10, 2014, 12:05:21 AM »

One reason I regretted revealing my name blatantly was for the mystery  :) However, it's not like anyone reads that far back in the introduction thread anymore. And maybe it was my imagination but I think there've been at least a couple people unsure about my gender...

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2264 on: December 10, 2014, 12:08:37 AM »

*google stalks Eich*

Wait no okay serious question here: Eich is your last name then, yes? How do you pronounce it?
Eye - Ch.
The "Ch" is soft, like in "chariot." As far as I know, my family is the only one in the universe that pronounces it that way.  The text under my avatar is pronounced "Aye Chihuahua." ("Eye chee wa wa")
Feel free to PM.