Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411510 times)

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #2235 on: December 09, 2014, 09:22:12 PM »

I'm also a hands-on learner. I can read about lots of things and understand basic principles, but I'll forget them unless I actually do something with said things.

And now I can get back to the 'memory-networks-I-talked-about'   :D
Basically doing or thinking it refreshes ("loads" and "saves") the data you're trying to memorize, if you're not using it at all in any ways, it will decay.

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2236 on: December 09, 2014, 09:22:38 PM »
Blech, timed essays. The only thing I like about them is that I'll never have to read the horrible mess that they are again.

I'm also a hands-on learner. I can read about lots of things and understand basic principles, but I'll forget them unless I actually do something with said things.
Regarding the first statement: very accurate. I don't even proofread. I mean, also there's no time to.

Regarding the second statement: Unfortunately that was what happened to me when I stopped taking Spanish in school. I've forgotten so much of it that it kind of makes me sad. (And I don't know enough that it would be worthy to add to my signature.) I even took a whole extra year of Spanish when I didn't have to. I was actually relatively good at the subject, compared to the others in my class.

EDIT: I just passed 400  8) . Think I might've beaten my last forum record.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 09:24:46 PM by Piney »

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #2237 on: December 09, 2014, 09:32:05 PM »
You should meet me in real life. I hardly talk at all.

*SNORTS* Assuming we hit it off, I would sit and talk your ear off for at least an hour. Then I would notice you weren't talking and I would stop talking and stare at you until you said something. Just. Stare. o_o

(Okay fine I would probably ask questions or something like that but staring is more amusing.)

A bit off topic, but I've noticed that my (very, very lame) understanding of Polish and Czech is based mostly on associations. There are plenty of "false friends", but knowing at least one East Slavic language would help a lot. It is always interesting to observe these parallels between different languages.  :)

Exactly! With words that are similar to words you already know, you've got a strong association already built in and ready to go, so it's easier to remember. But with less familiar things, you either have to repeat them over and over until it sticks, or manufacture an association wholesale. That--plus the question of how interested you are like somebody mentioned earlier--is why things like "correct horse battery staple" are so easy to remember. It's hard to forget a picture of a horse identifying a battery staple...

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #2238 on: December 09, 2014, 09:33:58 PM »
Rhythm/Beat are the things that trip me up when I play.  I just can't seem to stay consistent, no matter how hard I try.

Have you heard those guitar playing machines? Perfectly rhythmic, but... umm... sounds terrible. I guess the human imperfection makes music... alive?

My game development team hardly talks at all, and when they'll do, they'll be very short with it.
I'm neither talkactive, I basically ignore every small talk and talks about generic booring topics, and when someone ask something, i'll answer it very shortly.
But with interesting people i could have long and theoretical talks about some intesting subjects (tech, economy, etc.).

You don't seem too short worded here, and we haven't talked economy or tech yet. Do these topics really make you a talker? Aren't you into politics, by any chance? I know politics make people crazy at where I live, they can argue for hours without making any conclusion. I've started to really hate any political talks lately, they make me the saddest creature in the world.

EDIT: One day I'll be able to stop editing my posts for tiny typos. One day...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 09:36:51 PM by curiosity »
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #2239 on: December 09, 2014, 09:40:40 PM »
My game development team hardly talks at all, and when they'll do, they'll be very short with it.
I'm neither talkactive, I basically ignore every small talk and talks about generic booring topics, and when someone ask something, i'll answer it very shortly.
But with interesting people i could have long and theoretical talks about some intesting subjects (tech, economy, etc.).

I completely fail at small talk. The most I can do is answer other people's questions which are actually attempts to start small talk. And then wait in silence, or nod occasionally and make noises halfway between "ah" and "mm-hm." The only reason I can sort of do it on this forum is because I have as much time as I want to compose an answer and only have to answer when I want.

But if you start on, say, storytelling or art or web development or heraldry or obscure alternative music (or webcomics) I'm game.

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2240 on: December 09, 2014, 09:44:59 PM »
Have you heard those guitar playing machines? Perfectly rhythmic, but... umm... sounds terrible. I guess the human imperfection makes music... alive?

You don't seem too short worded here, and we haven't talked economy or tech yet. Do these topics really make you a talker? Aren't you into politics, by any chance? I know politics make people crazy at where I live, they can argue for hours without making any conclusion. I've started to really hate any political talks lately, they make me the saddest creature in the world.

Well, there is "Moonlight Sonata," which has no discernible, consistent time measure (or so I've been told), and it's one of the most beautiful songs ever written.  Still, I'm not Beethoven, so I think I need to learn how to stay on beat.  :B

That's been happening to me, the last few years.  The more I got in to it, the angrier it made me. 
I really am becoming an INFP, avoiding confrontation like that... 

I completely fail at small talk. The most I can do is answer other people's questions which are actually attempts to start small talk. And then wait in silence, or nod occasionally and make noises halfway between "ah" and "mm-hm." The only reason I can sort of do it on this forum is because I have as much time as I want to compose an answer and only have to answer when I want.

But if you start on, say, storytelling or art or web development or heraldry or obscure alternative music (or webcomics) I'm game.
I'm waiting for the day when I meet someone in person who knows about post-rock...
Feel free to PM.

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #2241 on: December 09, 2014, 09:45:15 PM »

Haven't you noticed that the things i post are always somewhat scientific.
In the pure cuteness -threads i only post something short and sarcastic :D

I'm somewhat into 'politics', but i don't want to talk about them with just anyone, as they'll get easily angry and start shooting very irrational arguments.
And my political talks are often just questioning the system and suggesting better policies or telling that things are impossible to get done right due previously mentioned reasons.
Just looking at comments in newsites makes me laugh how stupid they are  ;D
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:06:41 PM by Oskutin »

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2242 on: December 09, 2014, 09:47:32 PM »
I know politics make people crazy at where I live, they can argue for hours without making any conclusion. I've started to really hate any political talks lately, they make me the saddest creature in the world.

It takes a person with a high tolerance for conflict--someone who finds arguing fun--to enjoy talking about politics, I think. Me, I can put up and give as good as I get for a short period of time, if it's somebody I like. But blech, it's exhausting. Just not fun.

I AM NOT ALONE!  :-X
Yeeees I would have loved to be here for that, but if you peopla played CAH with me you'd probably ban me from your forum and never talk to me again.

AW YEAH *high five* I would've loved to be here for CAH too, but I checked in like 30min too late. ;_;

I'm waiting for the day when I meet someone in person who knows about post-rock...

WAIT WAIT POST-ROCK HOLD ON RIGHT THERE *flails* Post-rock instrumentals are like, the music of my teenaged rebellion. I LOVE THEM SO MUCH

Eich

• Thor
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #2243 on: December 09, 2014, 09:54:11 PM »
It takes a person with a high tolerance for conflict--someone who finds arguing fun--to enjoy talking about politics, I think. Me, I can put up and give as good as I get for a short period of time, if it's somebody I like. But blech, it's exhausting. Just not fun.

AW YEAH *high five* I would've loved to be here for CAH too, but I checked in like 30min too late. ;_;

WAIT WAIT POST-ROCK HOLD ON RIGHT THERE *flails* Post-rock instrumentals are like, the music of my teenaged rebellion. I LOVE THEM SO MUCH
OH ANOTHER ONE MYTHRISC, ANOTHER ONEEEEEE!!
Mythrisc and I are the guardians of post-rock, here.  It's more the music of my learning to think, than teenage rebellion, considering I never had a rebellious phase.  Found it two years ago and haven't turned back.

Do you know Helios, by any chance?  He was my first post-rock artist, and I listened to his stuff, and only his stuff, for about 6 months straight... o___o
Feel free to PM.

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #2244 on: December 09, 2014, 10:10:56 PM »
Well, there is "Moonlight Sonata," which has no discernible, consistent time measure (or so I've been told), and it's one of the most beautiful songs ever written.  Still, I'm not Beethoven, so I think I need to learn how to stay on beat.  :B

That's been happening to me, the last few years.  The more I got in to it, the angrier it made me. 
I really am becoming an INFP, avoiding confrontation like that... 

Oh, thanks for the link, Eich! Appears that a piece of classic was just what I needed to finish that terrible homework  :)

Just looking at comments in newsite makes me laugh how stupid they are  ;D

Yeah, I would laugh too if this nasty stuff wasn't going on all around me. It would be amusing if it wasn't so sad. My friend doesn't talk to me anymore because of our different political views, though, and I still can't figure out if it is extremely depressind or simply stupid and ridiculous.
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #2245 on: December 09, 2014, 10:18:00 PM »

This is exactly me. I'm also game if someone start talking about some obscure topic that I know nothing about but seems really interesting. But normal everyday small talk type of things? No thanks. And people always seem to want to ask "How was your week/day/whatever?". My life is boring. There is nothing to talk about in it. It is completely filled with passive interests. Nothing like "I went to Sydney the other day to listen to an organ recital in St. Andrew's Cathedral" or "I went rock climbing the other day" or "I saw this and this person the other day" or stuff like that. More "I read a book about the history of Japan the other day" or "I've been looking up articles on the particulars of storytelling techniques" or more realistically "I've been holed up in my room all day/week". And I can't help but seriously think about the question "How was your *insert time period here*?" (or any other question of that kind), even if my mind is telling me they only mean it as a civility and they move onto another topic almost immediately. Gaaaaah. Forums are easier than most real people.
Am notified of private messages via email.

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #2246 on: December 09, 2014, 10:19:36 PM »
Mythrisc and I are the guardians of post-rock, here.  It's more the music of my learning to think, than teenage rebellion, considering I never had a rebellious phase.  Found it two years ago and haven't turned back.

Do you know Helios, by any chance?  He was my first post-rock artist, and I listened to his stuff, and only his stuff, for about 6 months straight... o___o

EEEEEEE! Helios, no, I haven't heard him! *looks him up* My introduction to the genre was this song... which is not from a post-rock band, lol, and none of their other stuff is much like it. But I started scouring the internet for things similar to it and found Silver Mt. Zion, and God Is An Astronaut, and Agalloch, and so on. :D I was going through a massive Steve Reich phase before that, so it was a fairly natural progression.

Also, with regards to Moonlight Sonata: my sense is that it has... not so much a time signature as a pulse. The song has a heartbeat. And once you get the fingering and movements and technicalities out of the way, you can just sort of--fall into the heartbeat. It's hypnotizing to play. And it can take a hell of a lot of rubato without sounding melodramatic, so staying on beat really isn't so much of a problem. You pause where it feels right to pause, like pausing to breathe when you talk.

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #2247 on: December 09, 2014, 10:22:56 PM »
This is exactly me. I'm also game if someone start talking about some obscure topic that I know nothing about but seems really interesting. But normal everyday small talk type of things? No thanks. And people always seem to want to ask "How was your week/day/whatever?". My life is boring. There is nothing to talk about in it. It is completely filled with passive interests. Nothing like "I went to Sydney the other day to listen to an organ recital in St. Andrew's Cathedral" or "I went rock climbing the other day" or "I saw this and this person the other day" or stuff like that. More "I read a book about the history of Japan the other day" or "I've been looking up articles on the particulars of storytelling techniques" or more realistically "I've been holed up in my room all day/week". And I can't help but seriously think about the question "How was your *insert time period here*?" (or any other question of that kind), even if my mind is telling me they only mean it as a civility and they move onto another topic almost immediately. Gaaaaah. Forums are easier than most real people.

My mom always tries to start phone conversations with "So what's going on with you?"... And I can't just tell her "I was on the forum all day" or "I thought about drawing something but then I didn't." My default answer to "How was your day/weekend/week?" is for some reason always "fine", unless it totally sucked.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #2248 on: December 09, 2014, 10:24:33 PM »
Just looking at comments in newsites makes me laugh how stupid they are  ;D

I stopped bothering to even look at comments because of that.

I love post-rock! Not the most knowledgable on the subject, but I (especially) need Mogwai and Explosions in the Sky in my life.

Yessss....

I'm such a horrible music-choosing person that what initially gets me interested in an album is the cover art (then I look at the genres). And...that's pretty much how I got started in post-rock and ambient music.

I have friends who listen to alternative rock (emphasis on the rock), though, so maybe one day I'll get them interested.

My mom always tries to start phone conversations with "So what's going on with you?"... And I can't just tell her "I was on the forum all day" or "I thought about drawing something but then I didn't." My default answer to "How was your day/weekend/week?" is for some reason always "fine", unless it totally sucked.

That, or some synonym, is also my answer. It also seems to be the answer of everyone I know.

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #2249 on: December 09, 2014, 10:24:51 PM »

Yeah, I would laugh too if this nasty stuff wasn't going on all around me. It would be amusing if it wasn't so sad. My friend doesn't talk to me anymore because of our different political views, though, and I still can't figure out if it is extremely depressind or simply stupid and ridiculous.

My (few) friends tends to have similar or kinda similar political views, and neither of us aren't die-hard-supperter of some ideology.
In my opinion (very defined)ideologies are generally very dumb way to restrict possible solutions for problems.
Often the best solution seems to be somewhere in middle of opposite ideologies and/or many (even some 'bad' ones) ideologies could get to work if done 'right'.
But for some reason people manages to turn even the most lenient and liberal ones into very restricting and opressive...  ;D