Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387575 times)

Auxivele

• Scout
  • ????????
  • Preferred pronouns: she/they
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #16710 on: November 09, 2016, 09:32:04 PM »
"f***"- America 2016.

Help me.
<virtual hug>
We can get through this. We can get through this. We can get through this.
~*~ a confused stop sign ~*~

Fluent: :canada: :usa: :australia: :uk:
Uhhhhh...: :japan: | (Used to be) Conversational: :mexico: | Super basic: :china: | hmm: :germany:, :ireland:, :wales: | I know the alphabet?: :russia:, :southkorea:, :greece:

:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Solokov

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #16711 on: November 09, 2016, 10:28:56 PM »
*was contemplating hiding out in the woods for the next four years.*

*Is still contemplating it, now only for different reasons*
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #16712 on: November 09, 2016, 11:09:14 PM »
*hugs all the Americans* it will be ok, we will help you
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

VibratingText

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: He/him
« Reply #16713 on: November 09, 2016, 11:32:34 PM »
Can't say I'm surprised by the outcome. Or that I'm opposed to it - this makes the second time Hillary has lost the race to the presidency, both times she was slammed for being a corrupt career politician. And this time she had heavy, almost universal media backing once she got past the primaries. Personally I think the Democrats should just give up on her - she clearly isn't a viable candidate if this is the result.
:chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15:

Native: :usa:
Tolerable: :germany:
Still Learning: :italy:
n00b at: :russia: :norway: :japan:

OwlsG0

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #16714 on: November 10, 2016, 12:48:10 AM »
Just wanna hear from our Americans, of all colours and creeds. Are we all doing ok? I've already been in contact with my Latino half of the family and what's going on outside their front door worries me, deeply. Most of my family lives in the Deep South and there have been a few attacks already. Some American friends at school are reporting family friends taking their own lives over the results, so I guess this is just a general plea to hear that we're all ok?

I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #16715 on: November 10, 2016, 01:02:16 AM »
Just wanna hear from our Americans, of all colours and creeds. Are we all doing ok? I've already been in contact with my Latino half of the family and what's going on outside their front door worries me, deeply. Most of my family lives in the Deep South and there have been a few attacks already. Some American friends at school are reporting family friends taking their own lives over the results, so I guess this is just a general plea to hear that we're all ok?

I'm okay, but then it's not myself I'm worried about. I have so many friends whose lives could go so very badly wrong right now.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #16716 on: November 10, 2016, 01:19:29 AM »
Quote from: OwlsG0
So far it's all right in my corner of the south, as long as I keep my stony exterior up and views to myself I'm fine (really though I don't talk to people and they just assume because I'm white I agree)... honestly I was surprised when I went out today that not one single person even mentioned it. It was weird. I remember people actually talking about it when Obama was elected, but there was not one single peep. But then I live in a white majority area where I've seen maybe three Clinton stickers on cars and that's all, everything else was Trump. Still though I expected some uncouth reveling or something. Anything. It's somewhat unsettling.
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Fluent :usa:
Learning :germany:
Can count in :japan:
Actually learned a lot of in elementary school, but can now only remember how to decline verbs :vaticancity:
Maybe some day :norway:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #16717 on: November 10, 2016, 01:23:43 AM »
Seconding OwlsGo on that, we are worried about you. And also advising strongly against suicide, no matter how awful things are, because surely it can't last forever. Yes, sometimes the dragon wins. But if you all give up, there will be nobody to make things better. And yes, it's awful to know that you and yours will be in danger just because you are female, or have non-white ancestors, or non-mob politics, or a non-standard gender.....

I'd suggest that the best thing we can do is to adopt the strategies that worked for the Jews who survived the Holocaust - be careful, discreet, have a backup escape route if you have to be in public, because there are likely to be a lot of redneck mobs letting off steam now that they believe they have won, and attacking anyone who isn't a white male because these events have enabled their power fantasies.

But believe that there are still decent people out there, and that you may have help you don't expect. For one thing, I think many old-style Republicans may be coming to the realisation that Trumpian politics are not only a threat to the social standards they have come to expect, but to their personal wealth, because a mob, once loosed, does tend to turn on the upper classes, whatever their original goals may have been. Hopefully Trump's backers will realise that letting him have totally free rein is not a viable long-term strategy for them either, and will curb him.

And all this is just worst-case scenario. There is still a chance that the police, the legal system and the military may hold to their obligations to society, and do their best to protect everyone. I surely hope so.

I know that many of you young folk have lived with at least the illusion of freedom for most of your adult lives, and have no way of knowing how to deal with this. But the American electoral system, deeply flawed as it may be, has a number of checks and balances built in, which may yet be enough to get the nation through this. The biggest danger to your democracy, I think, is if Trump manages to convene his constitutional convention to 'fix some anomalies' as he said he intended to do. Since those 'anomalies' are likely to include universal suffrage, I hope there are still enough honest Republicans left to stand up against that.

And hopefully next election, if there is a next election, voters will remember that there are worse things than having a career politician in power. Luck, survive, and don't give up. We all need you.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

OwlsG0

« Reply #16718 on: November 10, 2016, 01:24:17 AM »
So far it's all right in my corner of the south, as long as I keep my stony exterior up and views to myself I'm fine (really though I don't talk to people and they just assume because I'm white I agree)... honestly I was surprised when I went out today that not one single person even mentioned it. It was weird. I remember people actually talking about it when Obama was elected, but there was not one single peep. But then I live in a white majority area where I've seen maybe three Clinton stickers on cars and that's all, everything else was Trump. Still though I expected some uncouth reveling or something. Anything. It's somewhat unsettling.

Where I live people were in an uproar. My school is an international school. I saw a lot of kids on the phone, crying to parents and siblings. Where my cousin lives in North Carolina people have been letting off fireworks to celebrate.
I saw the future.

OwlsG0

« Reply #16719 on: November 10, 2016, 01:26:23 AM »
Seconding OwlsGo on that, we are worried about you. And also advising strongly against suicide, no matter how awful things are, because surely it can't last forever. Yes, sometimes the dragon wins. But if you all give up, there will be nobody to make things better. And yes, it's awful to know that you and yours will be in danger just because you are female, or have non-white ancestors, or non-mob politics, or a non-standard gender.....

I'd suggest that the best thing we can do is to adopt the strategies that worked for the Jews who survived the Holocaust - be careful, discreet, have a backup escape route if you have to be in public, because there are likely to be a lot of redneck mobs letting off steam now that they believe they have won, and attacking anyone who isn't a white male because these events have enabled their power fantasies.

But believe that there are still decent people out there, and that you may have help you don't expect. For one thing, I think many old-style Republicans may be coming to the realisation that Trumpian politics are not only a threat to the social standards they have come to expect, but to their personal wealth, because a mob, once loosed, does tend to turn on the upper classes, whatever their original goals may have been. Hopefully Trump's backers will realise that letting him have totally free rein is not a viable long-term strategy for them either, and will curb him.

And all this is just worst-case scenario. There is still a chance that the police, the legal system and the military may hold to their obligations to society, and do their best to protect everyone. I surely hope so.

I know that many of you young folk have lived with at least the illusion of freedom for most of your adult lives, and have no way of knowing how to deal with this. But the American electoral system, deeply flawed as it may be, has a number of checks and balances built in, which may yet be enough to get the nation through this. The biggest danger to your democracy, I think, is if Trump manages to convene his constitutional convention to 'fix some anomalies' as he said he intended to do. Since those 'anomalies' are likely to include universal suffrage, I hope there are still enough honest Republicans left to stand up against that.

And hopefully next election, if there is a next election, voters will remember that there are worse things than having a career politician in power. Luck, survive, and don't give up. We all need you.

God, I hope so. I need to move back to the States soon to be with my grandparents in their twilight years, and it doesn't look like a kind situation for queer Latinas is gonna be made any time soon over there. (Not to mention queer Latinas with Muslim first names)
I saw the future.

Róisín

« Reply #16720 on: November 10, 2016, 01:32:38 AM »
I'm waiting to see what happens this coming weekend, and even more so if Trump survives long enough to be actually inaugurated. Though it wouldn't surprise me if Pence were in charge by then.

OwlsG0

« Reply #16721 on: November 10, 2016, 01:35:07 AM »
I'm waiting to see what happens this coming weekend, and even more so if Trump survives long enough to be actually inaugurated. Though it wouldn't surprise me if Pence were in charge by then.

At which point conversion therapy would once again become a thing. Jeez, let's hope something happens to him too to take him out of the running.
I saw the future.

Róisín

« Reply #16722 on: November 10, 2016, 01:38:22 AM »
Not sure which would be worse. Trump is more overtly vicious, but Pence's views are pretty scary too, and he looks a good deal more competent.

OwlsG0

« Reply #16723 on: November 10, 2016, 01:47:23 AM »
Not sure which would be worse. Trump is more overtly vicious, but Pence's views are pretty scary too, and he looks a good deal more competent.

Feels like we've been sling-shot back into Reagan's time. Goodbye mental healthcare, it was fun having you while you were here. Crossing my fingers for upstanding Republicans. Until I see people leaving the party over this heinous man's victory, though, I don't think I'll expect all that much from them. 
I saw the future.

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #16724 on: November 10, 2016, 06:49:22 AM »
Vi, I'm happy to read that your experience with the forum had helped you to find a job :) Sometimes little things like that appear to be important later.

I won't answer to all the post about America's situation, especially because Róisín spoke very well, but I'm worried to, thinking to the friends I have there and what I've heard from Trump and his vision... All I can do is sending virtual hugs, and say that there is still hope, it won't last forever. Now it's about being strong, probably careful sometimes, and taking care of your friends and family.
(And trust me, I'm not reassured when I see one of our candidates here in France for the elections next year and how many persons seems ready to vote for her "just to protest and oh, she won't be elected at the end"...)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2: