Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387516 times)

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #16605 on: October 21, 2016, 07:02:41 AM »
And when he started in on how Latinos have no education my (Puerto Rican) father thought it appropriate to fetch his framed PhD and dance in front of the TV with it.
Needless to say if Trump is elected I'm going to eat my passport
This is the best. ;D
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #16606 on: October 21, 2016, 12:19:59 PM »
And when he started in on how Latinos have no education my (Puerto Rican) father thought it appropriate to fetch his framed PhD and dance in front of the TV with it.
Needless to say if Trump is elected I'm going to eat my passport

Someone said in the comments that a Boston Globe headline stated: "Trump is everything wrong with American culture, Hillary is everything wrong with American government."

Kinda have to agree on that. First election for me and...well...I get this. Urgh.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #16607 on: October 21, 2016, 02:59:11 PM »
Both are bad... but honestly a sensible person would not give out classified information (nuclear response time) on live TV, or get s

Without getting into the US election here (because that would eat the entire Forum alive), I'll just point out that nothing Clinton said about nuclear response times was classified; the information was widely available and published in a book back in the late 1970s (and was certainly well-known outside that; I knew it back in high school) and published in a newspaper as recently as August of this year.

Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #16608 on: October 22, 2016, 04:39:05 AM »
Urbicande, that's true. The error tends to be promulgated by those who get their opinions predigested from Fox News, sadly. 'Don't bother me with facts, I've made up my mind.'
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #16609 on: October 22, 2016, 05:42:03 PM »
Without getting into the US election here (because that would eat the entire Forum alive), I'll just point out that nothing Clinton said about nuclear response times was classified; the information was widely available and published in a book back in the late 1970s (and was certainly well-known outside that; I knew it back in high school) and published in a newspaper as recently as August of this year.

Urbicande, that's true. The error tends to be promulgated by those who get their opinions predigested from Fox News, sadly. 'Don't bother me with facts, I've made up my mind.'

Spoiler: A look into how I formed my opinion, a short rant by Solokov • show

That all may be true for a lot of people, however I came to my conclusion about it being classified information based off the reactions of a few retired airmen, generals and a few others who I know personally and respect their knowledge due to being directly involved in nuke policy. The general consensus I've gotten is "I can't confirm how accurate that her statement was, but if I'd said it in that manner (live TV) I'd be dead to the world and in a hole somewhere being waterboarded." Additionally when asked by journalists the DOD (IIRC it was a radio news blurb and I missed who was being asked the question, might've been the white house) didn't kill the story by saying she was inaccurate, or that the information wasn't classified, the spokeshole dodged the question and stated they weren't willing to turn this into a matter of politic by confirming it was classified. (bit of paraphrasing on my part, haven't been able to find the actual press bit)

Final bit, I was digging through FOIA paperwork copies of regarding the Cuban Missile Crisis (It was for a history report and I wanted to be thorough professor gave me an extension because I proved I'd filed a FIOA request) and nuke force Response Times, as late as 2012 (when I was doing the report), fall under a special access program and are limited to a handful of military brass and the following handful in the cabinet: President, Vice President, Secretary of State, Secretary of Defense, Secretary of Homeland Security, Attorney General, Director of National Intelligence, CIA Director, Deputy Secretary of State, Deputy Secretary of Defense and Special personnel designated solely by the President in written form only with a burn after reading mandate. However this policy may have changed since then.

...Regardless, let's not let this spiral out of control.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #16610 on: October 22, 2016, 05:49:18 PM »

...Regardless, let's not let this spiral out of control.

Agreed.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
« Reply #16611 on: October 23, 2016, 01:37:04 AM »
I made apple crumble today.  What Fall-themed goodies do you enjoy?
An innate goofball who wanted to be elegant and composed.  That ain't happening.

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #16612 on: October 23, 2016, 01:41:03 AM »

Ooh, apple crumble! I love crumble, my favourite would be rhubarb for sure. We have a plant growing in our backyard, and while its looking a little sad right now, it grows wonderfully in the summer. Really don't use it enough. I'm planning on making a pumpkin pie next weekend, we have all the ingredients for it, I think. Planning on making the crust from scratch as well. :)
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
« Reply #16613 on: October 23, 2016, 01:48:55 AM »
Ooh, apple crumble! I love crumble, my favourite would be rhubarb for sure. We have a plant growing in our backyard, and while its looking a little sad right now, it grows wonderfully in the summer. Really don't use it enough. I'm planning on making a pumpkin pie next weekend, we have all the ingredients for it, I think. Planning on making the crust from scratch as well. :)

Nice!  Something pumpkiny would be nice to make, I don't experiment with it enough.
An innate goofball who wanted to be elegant and composed.  That ain't happening.

Róisín

« Reply #16614 on: October 23, 2016, 04:45:07 AM »
Solokov: interesting! What were you studying? Military history or suchlike?

Jethan: that sounds good. Quince paste, suitably spiced, for me, or pears poached in cider, with cardamon and cinnamon!

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #16615 on: October 23, 2016, 05:05:54 AM »
pears poached in cider, with cardamon and cinnamon!
That seems very interesting :D
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #16616 on: October 23, 2016, 07:24:50 AM »
pears poached in cider, with cardamon and cinnamon!

I don't drink, and that sounds very interesting! :D
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #16617 on: October 23, 2016, 01:16:06 PM »

Fall stuff, for us, means using up fruit from the garden. We freeze it and use it later. So, that usually means pie - either apple or sour cherry. And also zucchini bread.

Oh, and meat pie, usually with venison or pheasant and such.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #16618 on: October 23, 2016, 02:31:05 PM »
Solokov: interesting! What were you studying? Military history or suchlike?

Nah it was a class on world history and I ended up going for the cuban missile crisis since it's one of those events that affected several countries, some still to today, and had the potential to affect a good chunk of the world.

*suddenly realizes pumpkin smash is back at Jamba Juice and makes a 4 hour drive to the nearest town with a jamba juice*
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Róisín

« Reply #16619 on: October 23, 2016, 06:13:18 PM »
Er....pumpkin smash? Is that a traditional autumn dish where you are?