Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387802 times)

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #2100 on: December 04, 2014, 08:05:52 PM »
On a block of laaaaand! With blocked plumping and surrounded by traffic obstructing roadworks causing creatives to lose inspiration for their Lego diorama of the scene:O
Can we use potholes instead of roadworks?

And place like this:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 08:08:11 PM by Oskutin »

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #2101 on: December 04, 2014, 08:07:31 PM »
Yeah? I was hinting at traffic-blocks and blocked traffic but pot holes sound cool XP
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

curiosity

• Scout
  • I fought the law, and the law won
« Reply #2102 on: December 04, 2014, 08:08:20 PM »
It seems to be at least relatively popular everywhere I've been. But I do think it's significantly popular in California (coming from the perception of someone who has never been to California). So no, not so popular. There are a lot of fast food "Mexican" chains that people consider to be American staples, though. (Like Taco Bell, for instance.)

Got it, thanks  :)

Probably because the only fast food chains we get here in Europe are burger joints (Except Subway), the bad fast food joints. I don't know about Ukraine but homemade burritos are pretty popular as a weekend dish here, though we don't have any mexican cuisine restaurants.

Yeah, same thing with joints here. I've only seen McDonald's, and I bet every third person you mention burritos to would blink and ask: "Boo-ree-to? What's that?" Well, maybe not to that grade, but I don't know anyone who has ever eaten one. But if Mexican food is all about being spicy, contain fried meet and fresh vegetables, then we have an alternative - Turkish, Arab, Caucas cuisine. It is so wide-spread both in Ukraine and Russia (and Belarus too, I suppose) that you can buy shawarma/doner/kebab at every bus stop (and risk your health most of the time, though I've never got a poisonong from eating those).
And, of course, you can buy these everywhere, too. And since not long ago French (wannabe) bakery has taken stage, and they sell surprisingly delicious items.

The proposed (going to be adopted?) design for Norway is supposed to have some fancy black-light pictures. Given, though, this is just a studio concept, pre-added-security features and whatnot.
Wow. That's just... wow.
The proverb lies, I've never killed a cat.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:
Decently fluent: :uk:                Forgot everything: :germany:

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #2103 on: December 04, 2014, 08:10:24 PM »
Kebab is much more popular here too than texmex food.

curiosity

• Scout
« Reply #2104 on: December 04, 2014, 08:12:44 PM »
Kebab is much more popular here too than texmex food.

Mexica is too far away to have that strong influence on what we eat. Turkey and Caucasus are waaaay closer.
Perfectly fluent: :russia: :ukraine:          Desperately need to revise: :france:

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #2105 on: December 04, 2014, 08:14:04 PM »
And place like this:

YES!
And...and...a self-defense teacher demonstrating to their class how to block, when the student's view of the teacher is suddenly blocked by a film crew from:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 08:16:25 PM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #2106 on: December 04, 2014, 08:14:33 PM »
Is Mexican food so popular over entire USA or is it regional? I've always thought your fast food is mostly about burgers, hot dogs, corn dogs and so. Sorry, just crawled out of my cozy stone age cave last Sunday, have no idea.  ;D

Mexican food is popular: 1) in the parts of the U.S. once owned by Spain/Mexico, where local foodways didn't entirely die out once the Anglos took over;
2) in big cities, where every kind of ethnic food is available (and diners are more sophisticated);
3) wherever Mexican immigrants live and work, which is pretty much wherever there's work too hard, dirty, or low-paying to appeal to homegrown Americans.

It's similar to the pathways that pizza, spaghetti, and Chinese food took to becoming American staples.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

curiosity

• Scout
« Reply #2107 on: December 04, 2014, 08:21:11 PM »

And place like this:

Home sweet home.

Mexican food is popular: 1) in the parts of the U.S. once owned by Spain/Mexico, where local foodways didn't entirely die out once the Anglos took over;
2) in big cities, where every kind of ethnic food is available (and diners are more sophisticated);
3) wherever Mexican immigrants live and work, which is pretty much wherever there's work too hard, dirty, or low-paying to appeal to homegrown Americans.

It's similar to the pathways that pizza, spaghetti, and Chinese food took to becoming American staples.

Thanks for the details  :) Isn't sushi popular there? It is at where I live, a sushi-bar on every corner, yeah.

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #2108 on: December 04, 2014, 08:46:02 PM »
Home sweet home.

Thanks for the details  :) Isn't sushi popular there? It is at where I live, a sushi-bar on every corner, yeah.

I've only seen sushibars at malls and bigger centres, but kebab and pizza places are everywhere.

curiosity

• Scout
« Reply #2109 on: December 04, 2014, 08:57:43 PM »
I've only seen sushibars at malls and bigger centres, but kebab and pizza places are everywhere.

And what about national food? Do you have places that serve it? We have canteens that are cheap and usually not good at all, apart from rare exceptions. But you can have a full meal without waiting for it to be prepared, just take one from the stand, pay and enjo... er, try to eat it to conquer the hunger. Yet the menu is mostly like what we have at home. I think it can be qualified as a fast food joint, too.

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #2110 on: December 04, 2014, 09:00:33 PM »
And what about national food? Do you have places that serve it? We have canteens that are cheap and usually not good at all, apart from rare exceptions. But you can have a full meal without waiting for it to be prepared, just take one from the stand, pay and enjo... er, try to eat it to conquer the hunger. Yet the menu is mostly like what we have at home. I think it can be qualified as a fast food joint, too.
You can get the 'national' food buffet from many gas&service stations, schools and workplace canteens.
Those aren't often very high on quality...
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 09:03:40 PM by Oskutin »

curiosity

• Scout
« Reply #2111 on: December 04, 2014, 09:08:27 PM »
You can get the 'national' food buffet from many gas&service stations, schools and workplace canteens.
Those aren't often very quality...

Sure, that's why they are not expencive. Normal restaurants serve national food too, but a single bowl of borscht can cost you dear. It's cheaper to go to the store, buy ingredients and cook it youself (and the result is usually better).
And I really don't want to recall what they fed us in school and especially summer camps canteens. "Bad quality" would be a compliment here.

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #2112 on: December 04, 2014, 09:11:00 PM »
Sure, that's why they are not expencive. Normal restaurants serve national food too, but a single bowl of borscht can cost you dear. It's cheaper to go to the store, buy ingredients and cook it youself (and the result is usually better).
And I really don't want to recall what they fed us in school and especially summer camps canteens. "Bad quality" would be a compliment here.

They cost like 7-9€ here...
You can get kebab, pizza and other fast food at same price than couple of rubber potatoes and some random stew at the same price.
Or eat proper food at home.

curiosity

• Scout
« Reply #2113 on: December 04, 2014, 09:17:32 PM »
They cost like 7-9€ here...

Um, I'm sorry, is that a lot or not? Converting it into our currency with today's course makes me sad, because the sum used to be enough to buy a good dinner at a good joint a year ago.

Oskutin

• Scout
  • Half man, half machine
« Reply #2114 on: December 04, 2014, 09:19:28 PM »
Um, I'm sorry, is that a lot or not? Converting it into our currency with today's course makes me sad, because the sum used to be enough to buy a good dinner at a good joint a year ago.

For student that is a lot.
And even for common worker it's kinda expensive.