Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387792 times)

Lazy8

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #16515 on: October 06, 2016, 06:35:11 PM »
So is anybody here fluent in Cat? What to cats mean when they trill - sort of a "mrr" sound?
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #16516 on: October 06, 2016, 06:46:19 PM »
Depends on the intonation: usually when my cats do it it's 'Pay attention, boss.' Which can be anything from 'my water bowl is nearly empty' to 'there's a snake on the verandah, please do something about it' to 'please pick me up for a cuddle'. Entire cats, and occasionally neutered ones, will sometimes make that noise when trying to be noticed by another cat.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #16517 on: October 06, 2016, 08:09:50 PM »
Lazy8, like many things with cats it depends on the cat.

I agree with Róisín that it's an attention getting noise; when addressed to a human it's often a favorable one -- 'hi there, nice to see you, give me some patting please'.

If you have a non-spayed female cat who doesn't usually trill and just started doing so, she may well be in heat. Lock her up quick or expect kittens. (And I strongly advise spaying. Keeping a cat in heat locked up is not easy.) Some toms will trill when trying to attract a female.

But some cats just trill as part of their ordinary chatter. And some cats don't do it at all.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #16518 on: October 06, 2016, 08:34:21 PM »
This is my grandmother's cat, and don't worry, she's spayed. :) She meows when she wants to be fed and has sometimes been known to trill when she sees me, so I'll be hopeful and interpret it as a gesture of affection. ;)

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #16519 on: October 09, 2016, 12:15:43 AM »
So is anybody here fluent in Cat? What to cats mean when they trill - sort of a "mrr" sound?

Cat language is fun. I think my cats made a few different "mrr" trills for different situations, my favorite being when they were falling asleep or mostly asleep and you go to pet them and they make kind of a surprised sounding "mrr" trill usually followed by purring (or them immediately going back to sleep  :P ) I think it is different from cat to cat, but I always interpreted it as surprised but in a good way, which would make sense for your grandma's cat to make that noise when she sees you, surprised but excited that you're there :3

Also I was just looking at some of the emotes, and I really don't think in the months I've been on here I've ever seen anyone use  O0 or  C:-) ? Actually I see the ones that aren't even on the main strip of emotes that you have to click more for such as  :squirrelcookie: or  :reynir: or  <3 more than I've seen  O0 or  C:-) actually, come to think of it I don't see this one  :-* get used much either I don't think. Idk, I guess it's just kind of interesting to me for some reason which ones get used and which ones don't.

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #16520 on: October 09, 2016, 12:36:56 AM »
Cat language is fun. I think my cats made a few different "mrr" trills for different situations, my favorite being when they were falling asleep or mostly asleep and you go to pet them and they make kind of a surprised sounding "mrr" trill usually followed by purring (or them immediately going back to sleep  :P ) I think it is different from cat to cat, but I always interpreted it as surprised but in a good way, which would make sense for your grandma's cat to make that noise when she sees you, surprised but excited that you're there :3

Ah ha ha. What's confusing me is that this one will sometimes trill and then immediately dash away. She's just a little mildly hyperactive. Though sometimes she'll trill and leap right up onto the back of a chair to greet me in the morning. :3

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #16521 on: October 09, 2016, 12:54:44 AM »
Ah ha ha. What's confusing me is that this one will sometimes trill and then immediately dash away. She's just a little mildly hyperactive. Though sometimes she'll trill and leap right up onto the back of a chair to greet me in the morning. :3

That's cute, although yes a bit confusing. Maybe she's trying to be playful ? Cats are mysterious creatures though. Almost reminds me of my third grade students who will walk past my classroom, slam the door open and wave and say hello in the cutest and most enthusiastic way possible, then immediately dash away while giggling *shruuug*

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #16522 on: October 09, 2016, 01:06:12 AM »
That's cute, although yes a bit confusing. Maybe she's trying to be playful ? Cats are mysterious creatures though. Almost reminds me of my third grade students who will walk past my classroom, slam the door open and wave and say hello in the cutest and most enthusiastic way possible, then immediately dash away while giggling *shruuug*

Oh, she's playful all right. Jumps and dashes all over the place trying to catch a string, and has been known to go at her scratching post with all the gusto of a pro wrestler. (I'm not kidding about that part, she will wrap herself around the thing and repeatedly kick it with her back feet.)

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #16523 on: October 09, 2016, 01:21:49 AM »
Well, both my cats do it, but they use it differently because they have very different personalities. Dolly makes soft trill noises when she's being affectionate or wants pats/brushing/foods. She also does this annoyed trill when you take too long to open the door to let her back inside, like "yeah in yer own sweet time bucko *kitty sailor cursing*" XD Mitzi only makes the trill noise (she has her own bunch of cat noises) when there's a fluffy blanket, which she will drool all over ;-; or if she wants to be lifted up into this big empty flowerpot that's in the garden.
Probably doesn't help :/
I would guess its like a special Hey? :/

Unrelated.... but will there be a Secret Santa this year?
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #16524 on: October 09, 2016, 01:31:53 AM »
Unrelated.... but will there be a Secret Santa this year?

Well, there's the SSSS/aRTD Gift Exchange on Ao3, but personally I would like a forum-specific Secret Santa as well.
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #16525 on: October 09, 2016, 06:57:54 AM »
Well, both my cats do it, but they use it differently because they have very different personalities. Dolly makes soft trill noises when she's being affectionate or wants pats/brushing/foods. She also does this annoyed trill when you take too long to open the door to let her back inside, like "yeah in yer own sweet time bucko *kitty sailor cursing*" XD Mitzi only makes the trill noise (she has her own bunch of cat noises) when there's a fluffy blanket, which she will drool all over ;-; or if she wants to be lifted up into this big empty flowerpot that's in the garden.
Probably doesn't help :/
I would guess its like a special Hey? :/

Doesn't need to help to be one darn cute story that was pleasant to read  :D

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #16526 on: October 09, 2016, 11:19:22 AM »
#atheistproblems: Enthusiastically volunteering to wash cat pee out of a rug so you have a ready excuse to stay behind while everybody else goes off to church. :-\

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #16527 on: October 09, 2016, 11:39:08 PM »
An email from my property manager

"A VERY LARGE SNAKE IS SUSPECTED TO BE LIVING NEAR THE LETTERBOXES/OFFICE AREA. RESIDENTS ARE ADVISED TO PLEASE WARN ANY CHILDREN ABOUT THE RISK OF SNAKES, AND TO TAKE CARE WHEN WALKING THROUGH THE COMPLEX."

Oh that's just great.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #16528 on: October 10, 2016, 12:31:35 AM »
An email from my property manager

"A VERY LARGE SNAKE IS SUSPECTED TO BE LIVING NEAR THE LETTERBOXES/OFFICE AREA. RESIDENTS ARE ADVISED TO PLEASE WARN ANY CHILDREN ABOUT THE RISK OF SNAKES, AND TO TAKE CARE WHEN WALKING THROUGH THE COMPLEX."

Oh that's just great.

Oh, man. And I thought one of my neighbors finding a giant millipede in his apartment was bad D: stay safe please !

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #16529 on: October 10, 2016, 01:00:31 AM »
So long as it isn't a dugite or a mulga brown. Luck, Wyrm.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!