Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409669 times)

Kiraly

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #16395 on: September 22, 2016, 12:52:45 PM »
What's with all this snow hate?! Where is it coming from? *loves snow and just doesn't understand*

In my case, the snow hate comes from the crippling terror I experience when driving in it. Roads that haven't been cleared well are treacherous, especially with all the hills around here. And it's often impossible to tell if a road is fine...or if it has a sheet of ice...until it's too late. And unfortunately, not driving isn't really an option for me.
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #16396 on: September 22, 2016, 01:30:51 PM »
I love autumn and I love winter. I am so overjoyed at the first sign of fall. At last, now I can breath and feel alive again, not oppressed by the heat, the bugs, and the pollen. Finally I can walk outside and not feel like I am in a sauna (and the attendant sweat). Summer is gross.

Fall has all the pretty colours, the beautiful rainy days. The wind. Halloween. And the snow will come and hide the world beneath it's blanket. Sure it will be cold, but to that I say - you can always add layers. The evil of summer is that at a certain point, there is nothing you can do to escape the warmth.

Now I hope there will be snow here. I am used to long, shitty winters up north which have little snow but blistering cold. Here actually has precipitations, I hear. I am looking forward to that. This city will look even better with snow, I think.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #16397 on: September 22, 2016, 01:32:10 PM »
But you had some ! I'm not lying when I say "barely a snowflake" ! The afternoon I thought it would at last snow, I saw a few snowflakes during... one or two minutes ? And that was all. Oh, sorry, we had snow during maybe ten minutes an other day, but it was melting immediately. So yes, I have some hopes for this winter... ^^

Oh, fine. We can share :)
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #16398 on: September 22, 2016, 01:46:23 PM »
Sure it will be cold, but to that I say - you can always add layers. The evil of summer is that at a certain point, there is nothing you can do to escape the warmth.
That. Exactly.
It don't mean that I don't enjoy summer, but please, no heat waves !

Oh, fine. We can share :)
I'm glad that we have an agreement *Nods* ;)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #16399 on: September 22, 2016, 01:58:52 PM »
I love autumn and I love winter. I am so overjoyed at the first sign of fall. At last, now I can breath and feel alive again, not oppressed by the heat, the bugs, and the pollen.

Funny, that's pretty much exactly how I feel about the superiority of summer. I can breathe and feel alive again because I can actually smell the air without having my whole face muffled in a scarf, not oppressed by the cold, the viruses, and the snow...

Honestly, I think that it's partly because I sweat more than average, so it's easier for me to cool down in hot weather and also really easy for me to get overly chilled when it's cold. I'm also extremely susceptible to the common cold, so if I get even slightly chilled, I will get sick. Funny how that never happens in summer.

Sure it will be cold, but to that I say - you can always add layers. The evil of summer is that at a certain point, there is nothing you can do to escape the warmth.

I really, really hate how smug so many winter people can get about this point. The evil of winter is that you have to. And it takes so much longer to get into all of those layers, and snowboots are a royal pain to lace up, and why in the name of all that is holy should I have to go to all this trouble when in summer I can just walk out the door, and I can't move freely, and and and...

And sure, I could just forego the layers and freeze. But then, I'd be all but guaranteed to get sick. Winter has just as many evil bugs as summer does; I just prefer the kind that you can see and swat.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #16400 on: September 22, 2016, 02:05:37 PM »

I really, really hate how smug so many winter people can get about this point. The evil of winter is that you have to. And it takes so much longer to get into all of those layers, and snowboots are a royal pain to lace up, and why in the name of all that is holy should I have to go to all this trouble when in summer I can just walk out the door, and I can't move freely, and and and...

Not to mention... no matter how many layers you put on, it's only effective up to a certain point. I wear layers, I have a very good down-filled jacket, my fur hat is the best that money can buy, but no matter what, with the way the windchill gets, I'm still going to be cold. I'm aware that I probably spend more time out in extreme cold than a lot of people do, but... it sucks.

I guess both ends of the pendulum are awful. ;p
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Double H

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #16401 on: September 22, 2016, 02:39:54 PM »
Winter is coming... we hope. *crosses fingers and knocks on wood*
"Winter is coming" is exactly what I thought yesterday when I was driving home and saw a raven in town. :)
They usually only hang out in town during winter.
Pretentious? Moi?

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #16402 on: September 22, 2016, 03:09:06 PM »
Please, send some snow here too! (Okay, last winter we had 2 x 2 days of snow, which was way better than the previous year, but still... I love snow!)

But before worrying about snow, let's enjoy the beautiful autumn! The dreadful summer is finally over - I can't stand the heat and I suffer from seasonal depression in summer; believe me, it's no fun. (especially since everybody is supposed to be happy in summer...)

So I join the club of those who prefer cooler weather, chilly mornings, the smell of wet earth, low sunrays, walking through the fallen leaves, wrapping in a warm blanket, sipping hot drinks and marvel at all the colours of nature.
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #16403 on: September 22, 2016, 03:54:57 PM »
I take it that you haven't spent much time walking through it in -30C weather.
That's where it's coming from. At least in my case. ;V If it weren't so cold, and if transport were less of an issue, I probably wouldn't hate it as much as I do.

Well yeah, it's very rare for it to get to -30 here. But long walks in the snow at, say, -15C (which is a more likely temperature here) are one of the things that really clear my mind and make me feel cheerful no matter what. It really feels like it's my "native terrain".

In my case, the snow hate comes from the crippling terror I experience when driving in it. Roads that haven't been cleared well are treacherous, especially with all the hills around here. And it's often impossible to tell if a road is fine...or if it has a sheet of ice...until it's too late. And unfortunately, not driving isn't really an option for me.

Ah yeah, that is completely understandable. I don't drive and yet I've been in an accident caused by an overconfident driver and ice on the road. *supports super cautious driving in winter*

But before worrying about snow, let's enjoy the beautiful autumn! The dreadful summer is finally over - I can't stand the heat and I suffer from seasonal depression in summer; believe me, it's no fun. (especially since everybody is supposed to be happy in summer...)

Ha, you're the first person I know who also gets seasonal depression in summer. I get it too, despite the fact that I actually love summer (as well as winter). It is a strange thing.

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #16404 on: September 22, 2016, 04:58:06 PM »
Ha, you're the first person I know who also gets seasonal depression in summer. I get it too, despite the fact that I actually love summer (as well as winter). It is a strange thing.

Oh, so you too... I didn't know anyone with this problem either. Most people don't even believe summer depression is a real thing.
Anyway, it's over for this year.  :)
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #16405 on: September 22, 2016, 06:19:01 PM »
Autumn, I always fall in love in the autumn...

As to cold and snow, I lived in Michigan's Upper Peninsula and Northern Wisconsin for a while so I'm no stranger to that kind of weather.
As to winter driving I offer the following funny:
      98% of Americans say "Oh crap" before sliding into the ditch on a slippery road.
      The other 2% are from Maine and they say, "Hold my beer, and watch this!"
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #16406 on: September 22, 2016, 08:58:13 PM »
Helia, Sc0ut, I feel you about Summer - in my case not so much depression as feeling physically bleargh in hot weather. My body seems to be tuned for cool-to-cold weather and low light. I mean, I can live anywhere, and have lived in most climates, and now live in Australia, which has them all; but Spring/Autumn/Winter suit me better than Summer!

And Yuuago, -minus 30C is just not a fair test. Especially if you have to work in it. Been there, done that, suffered.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #16407 on: September 23, 2016, 12:42:54 AM »
I just got back from my annual lets go walk around an Actual City, and it's always weird how much I realize I actually like the city. Then I see traffic and I'm just hahaha nope let's go home.
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Fluent :usa:
Learning :germany:
Can count in :japan:
Actually learned a lot of in elementary school, but can now only remember how to decline verbs :vaticancity:
Maybe some day :norway:

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #16408 on: September 23, 2016, 12:47:34 AM »
I just got an advertisement for axe throwing... Is the internet saying it's time to embrace my viking instincts? :))
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Iceea

• Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #16409 on: September 23, 2016, 10:30:43 AM »
To continue with yesterdays discussion about seasonal weather:

As for the summer months for those of you who suffer from the heat:http://www.johnnywander.com/comic/cat-ice-tray
« Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 11:41:28 AM by Iceea »
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams