Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387756 times)

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #16350 on: September 10, 2016, 02:48:22 PM »
We currently have a wasp nest in the ground by one of the trees in our backyard. It's far enough away from the house that everyone's content to just let it be until the wasps move on (I forget what species they are, but we read that they build new nests in new locations every year), and we just avoid that area. The deer that come through to graze and eat the apples from the trees, though, aren't so careful, and every once in a while one will wander close, then jump out of the way as it's stung. I feel bad for them, especially the curious little foals from a few months ago  :(
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Purple Wyrm

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #16351 on: September 10, 2016, 09:23:12 PM »
For years I thought that I got stung by a wasp. Recently I discovered that it was probably a native bee. Either way, it was unpleasant.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Basse

• Scout
  • I don't know what I'm doing!
« Reply #16352 on: September 10, 2016, 10:25:34 PM »
Stepped on a vespula nest as a kid but somehow did not get stung.
                 (Ground wasp)
Native: :sweden:
:chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
:book3:

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #16353 on: September 12, 2016, 07:55:31 AM »
Whew, just experienced me my first ever earthquake. For the province I'm in it was a super mild little wobble that just kinda confused me at first. I don't think anything in my apartment even moved. But I heard further north of here by Gyeongbuk it was a lot worse and in the more central and northern provinces internet's down in some places from it, so, hope everyone's okay up there ?

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #16354 on: September 12, 2016, 08:39:55 AM »
*was born and raised 8 miles off the san andreas faultline*

Welcome to the earthquake club. Odds are you've experienced one before but on average you don't notice them unless they're a 3 or higher* on the richer scale. And even then the most you might notice is a light shake or shove at the most.

*4.3 or higher for people who are desensitized to them.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #16355 on: September 12, 2016, 12:51:22 PM »
My very first earthquake was a 5-something aftershock of the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989.  I was NOT a fan.

The phrase "solid as the ground beneath my feet" should mean something.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #16356 on: September 12, 2016, 12:54:49 PM »
My very first earthquake was a 5-something aftershock of the Loma Prieta earthquake in 1989.  I was NOT a fan.

....wait...what? How'd you manage that? On a plane and landed after or something?
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #16357 on: September 12, 2016, 11:34:49 PM »
....wait...what? How'd you manage that? On a plane and landed after or something?

Well, I think in my case all I felt was the aftershock too because like in many cases the aftershock was quite a bit stronger so it was strong enough to be felt all the way further south in Jeonnam where I am while the initial tremors up in Gyeongbuk weren't strong enough to be felt too far away. I think I read that the initial tremors up in Gyeongbuk were a 5.1 and the aftershock was a 5.8 (but thay could be totally off because every source is telling me something different and some are saying only 5.4) but by the time it got to me it was quite a bit lower than than that.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 11:44:10 PM by Juniper »

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #16358 on: September 12, 2016, 11:51:04 PM »
So I was introducing myself to a group, and apparently I mumbled my name or something because one kid asked me what I said, and when I repeated it he replied: "Oh I thought you said Athens."

Athens

My name sounds nothing like Athens.

He calls me Athens now and I respond to it.

(also hi i'm alive)
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Fluent :usa:
Learning :germany:
Can count in :japan:
Actually learned a lot of in elementary school, but can now only remember how to decline verbs :vaticancity:
Maybe some day :norway:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #16359 on: September 13, 2016, 08:57:20 AM »

Well, no. I was actually on vacation in California.  When the main shock hit I was blissfully unaware, on the Pacific Coast Highway between Morro Bay and Monterrey. It wasn't until I turned the radio on that I knew.  We got the aftershocks when we were in Monterrey.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
« Reply #16360 on: September 13, 2016, 10:04:37 AM »
Also, not to be deliberately double-posting, but I'd like to raise a toast the brave men and women of Moonbase Alpha, lost this day in 1999.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #16361 on: September 13, 2016, 10:52:08 AM »
I am literally ready to murder this stupid, snobby Macbook that won't let me look at the notes on my thesis revisions so now I have to go and revise it again before tomorrow if I actually want to get my degree on time so I need to go to a nice sensible Windows machine that works like it's supposed to so I can actually see the revisions and copy them down by hand and then go back to the Mac where my thesis is actually located so I can apply the revisions that I need to and AAAARRGH! Why do people keep claiming that Macs are in all ways superior? Why? First they steal your money, they're patronizing and condescending and won't even let you customize your own OS that they copied anyway from Linux which is supposed to be open source, then they won't even work the way they're supposed to. *enraged panting*

Okay, I am calm, it wasn't the Mac after all, just stupid technology being stupid technology. I still had to copy everything out by hand.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 12:13:02 PM by Lazy8 »
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #16362 on: September 13, 2016, 07:57:34 PM »
I cant find that ye olde homework thread XD ah well I guess it has been a while. Gosh knows where it's gone in all that time.

Hey guys, I have an animation assignment to do, but I can't think of anything really to animate :/ All types of 2D animation are options..
Even sound or music clips totally count as helpful suggestions ;3 One of the projects from last year we watched was just a tiny clip with the sound clip of "this is bat country!" and that was it, so it doesn't have to be super long. u_u)b

i think i'm most interested in hand drawn line animation and maybe mixing it with paper cutout animation? But I'm not really sure where to go with that. I was thinking of doing something nature-y with like, little plants and things. Does that sound like a good idea? :/

Spoiler: show
I just don't really have anyone I know in my class to talk about this stuff with, or at home. In fact, I only took this subject because I thought I would be moved into my apartment but the date got changed to AFTER SCHOOL ENDS,,, so I dunno, it all just seems kind of fruitless to me. But i'll see if I can at least have something to hand in for the final project.

There was also a green screen assignment due yesterday which I got an extension for, but every time I try to film, something happens and it's been doing this for weeks in a row so i'm considering just not doing it because it must be cursed for me <_<
« Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 08:00:29 PM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
« Reply #16363 on: September 13, 2016, 08:59:03 PM »
Hey guys, I have an animation assignment to do, but I can't think of anything really to animate :/ All types of 2D animation are options..
Even sound or music clips totally count as helpful suggestions ;3 One of the projects from last year we watched was just a tiny clip with the sound clip of "this is bat country!" and that was it, so it doesn't have to be super long. u_u)b

i think i'm most interested in hand drawn line animation and maybe mixing it with paper cutout animation? But I'm not really sure where to go with that. I was thinking of doing something nature-y with like, little plants and things. Does that sound like a good idea? :/

How about an animation of a little cloud floating along happily until it starts raining and it becomes confused and sinks into itself, then when all the raindrops fall they grow into a puddle, and the cloud is now a puddle and is very confuzeled, and then the puddle gets sucked into a flower as it grows.
Just weird, cute hydrologic cycle stuff.

I have no ideas for your green screen thing, I just hope you can succeed at this!!!
An innate goofball who wanted to be elegant and composed.  That ain't happening.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #16364 on: September 13, 2016, 09:25:50 PM »
How about an animation of a little cloud floating along happily until it starts raining and it becomes confused and sinks into itself, then when all the raindrops fall they grow into a puddle, and the cloud is now a puddle and is very confuzeled, and then the puddle gets sucked into a flower as it grows.
Just weird, cute hydrologic cycle stuff.

I have no ideas for your green screen thing, I just hope you can succeed at this!!!
Thanks Jethan :3
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16: