Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411569 times)

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1920 on: November 29, 2014, 07:00:50 PM »
Zombieland in German? Uh, I should have mentioned we watched it in English ;). I don't know why, but most things we watch in original soundtrack. Monty Python is not as funny in German as it is in English, the same goes for nearly every major cartoon-series from the the US. I also started watching Sailor moon (yeeeees, I was about eleven when they showed it in Germany the first time, so don't judge me too harshly, will you?) and "Monster" with subs because I like the original Japanese voices.

World is so small :D

No, the German was fine. The blood was fine. People's heads exploding? Not so fine.

Lars_B

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Resident Domovai
« Reply #1921 on: November 29, 2014, 08:25:46 PM »
One thing that might interest those of you out there who wonders "what is Sweden like right now and not in 90 years" might want to check out this link to a news-clip about skating on a perfectly frozen Swedish lake:

http://www.svt.se/nyheter/regionalt/jamtlandsnytt/unik-naturupplevelse-pa-blanktjarn

the water has frozen with Minnaeque clarity and you can see fish swimming under the ice!

/L
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society
Stumbling trough: :sweden:
:chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

OrigamiOwl

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #1922 on: November 29, 2014, 08:33:22 PM »
One thing that might interest those of you out there who wonders "what is Sweden like right now and not in 90 years" might want to check out this link to a news-clip about skating on a perfectly frozen Swedish lake:

http://www.svt.se/nyheter/regionalt/jamtlandsnytt/unik-naturupplevelse-pa-blanktjarn

the water has frozen with Minnaeque clarity and you can see fish swimming under the ice!

/L
THATS SO AWESOME!!! 8D like a cool dream! The fallen trees in the shallows are so cool! ^__^
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #1923 on: November 29, 2014, 08:55:13 PM »

/L

...asdfhkj. This has gone into my collection of "random internet inspiration."

So beautiful and strange and...and...surreal...and...like walking on glass, or water...

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1924 on: November 30, 2014, 03:45:18 AM »

/L

Thanks for sharing this little diamond with us! It really got me.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1925 on: November 30, 2014, 07:57:50 PM »
Eeeeeeee! It's a thundery day today...with humid misty rain ;___;
Why can't the rain just be cold like normal? :O at least all the plants are getting some water...
Oh wow, I haven't heard thunder that loud and sharp in forever, maybe ever, and the rain gained some gusto. I guess Summer is a drama queen today :P

Edit: my sister ran out of bed (she sleeps till past noon) yelling "THOR! THOR IS HERE!" U____U *sigh*
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #1926 on: November 30, 2014, 08:23:53 PM »
Why can't the rain just be cold like normal? :O at least all the plants are getting some water...
Oh wow, I haven't heard thunder that loud and sharp in forever, maybe ever, and the rain gained some gusto. I guess Summer is a drama queen today :P

Edit: my sister ran out of bed (she sleeps till past noon) yelling "THOR! THOR IS HERE!" U____U *sigh*

Sounds fun? Scary? Both?

I don't know where all the water came from - it hasn't rained that much, but the nearby farm's fields flooded completely. I would be worried if it were the growing season, but as it was it was pretty cool. It was under water for several days but drained away while we were at church this morning. To cap it all off it started snowing around ten and stuck. (okay, it only lasted an hour, but the fact it stuck at all was pretty bizarre.)

The weather's just been weird all around this year, from what I've heard.

potatobunny

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #1927 on: November 30, 2014, 08:38:57 PM »
"THOR! THOR IS HERE!"

I was Thor on Friday.  :D

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1928 on: November 30, 2014, 08:43:50 PM »

Pfft.  I'm nowhere near Tasmania!
And I doubt Potato was on Friday, either.

Mist rain is something I've only seen once.  It was bizarre, but it oscillated between light rain (misty being the lightest) and super-heavy-death-from-the-skies rain for an entire week.  Lightning is always fun, though.  Set up a camera to record, and you can edit the video to get some really cool stills of the bolts.
Feel free to PM.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #1929 on: November 30, 2014, 08:51:40 PM »
... I'm starting to picture the SSSS community in a fight: Eich is slowly falling over with a long-drawn "noooooo" as the ground slowly approaches his face; Nimphy is jabbing at her opponent's nose like Mike Tyson and Clayres is clawing through clothes and flesh like the Wolverine himself.

I hear a music cue:  "Ev'rybody Was Kung Fu Fighting!

I had to fight off an attacker once -- a man who rang my doorbell late one evening with an unconvincing story that he'd seen someone breaking into my car and just wanted to let me know.  I was standing there processing that, with the front door half-open, when he suddenly cannonballed into it, trying to force his way in.

Luckily, I 1) weighed more than the would-be home invader did; 2) had been out in the snow that day and was still wearing boots with strong, grippy treads; 3) somehow accessed my inner Valkyrie and was able to throw myself against the inside of the door and force it shut (while shouting for the neighbors at the top of my lungs, which is pretty darn loud).  It's funny -- your time perception really does slow down under the influence of adrenaline.

After that, my brother wrote me a funny parody of "Kung Fu Fighting" that included "sister's fists of fury" (among other things). 

Up to that point, I'm sure my family had considered me as fluffy and helpless as OrigamiOwl's Himalayan cats (I certainly thought of myself that way).  Afterwards... it was a little like when Bilbo Baggins first picked up Sting.  The Sackville-Bagginses see you differently after that...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 09:28:47 PM by Sunflower »
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #1930 on: November 30, 2014, 09:05:58 PM »

Most moves [in self-defense] involved kneeing them between the legs, and learning how to punch.....I still can't punch properly, I tend to just whack things with the outer side of my fist because I don't wanna damage my hand :/ but the outer side is really soft and probably won't do any damage to a horrible person :( My only hope of stopping them would be if they were already on the ground....I'm pretty good at stomping...but that's not really self defense, so I think I'd get in trouble maybe u____u

Man, I'd be hopeless, even the sensei said so. And my dad. ("You're strong sweetie, but not in the same way that men are strong. I could rip your arm off. If I fell on you you'd die." "Gee, I love you too dad.") Hopefully any inhibitions about looking stupid and fat would be overridden by survival? Hmmmm

Yes, they probably would get overridden under pressure.  (See my previous post about the would-be robber.)  But vigorous movement helps, to unlearn those habits of demure, passive behavior that we generally pick up in Girl Basic Training. 

I'm hardly an athlete, but I think the aerobics classes I'd been taking for about 6 months before the break-in helped.  Not necessarily that they got me in better physical shape (though they probably didn't hurt); they certainly didn't teach any self-defense techniques per se. 

What they did do is get my body used to reacting fast and vigorously to sudden stimuli (whether the first notes of "All The Single Ladies" or a man of thuggish demeanor yelling "B---h, let me in!").  I'd always been afraid that if I were attacked, I'd react with the same paralysis that happens in my nightmares.  But at least the one time I had to "knock on wood," I didn't freeze up.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #1931 on: November 30, 2014, 09:13:38 PM »
I've spent all evening in front of the TV watching Downton Abbey. I can't believe I've gotten addicted to that series - this "who marries whom and oh there's drama" is normally not my cup of tea. But seems there is nothing I can do about that...

For one thing, the costumes and settings are gorgeous!  Even if the melodrama is ridiculous.

Also, the Dowager Countess is so funny.  I watched one episode with my aunt where we had a drinking game -- take a sip of wine each time Lady Violet says something snarky.  We were both blitzed by the end credits...   ;D

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #1932 on: November 30, 2014, 09:19:50 PM »
Yeeeeeees.  Downton Abbey is so good!  The drama stuff usually doesn't do it for me either, but it feels... weirdly different.  It's tied with Avatar for my favorite series of all time. 

Eich, pookie, I want you to do something for Auntie Sunflower. 

Look up when the new season of "Downton Abbey" starts in January.  If that's during term-time at your college, I want you to look for a viewing party and GO TO IT.  The gender odds will be *ever* in your favor...

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #1933 on: November 30, 2014, 09:26:54 PM »
I was Thor on Friday.  :D

Oh!  Was this that big work performance where your colleague was cross-dressing as Princess Elsa?  We'd love to hear how that went!  (And whether it's blackmail material...  ;))

StellersJayC

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Happy!
« Reply #1934 on: November 30, 2014, 09:30:32 PM »
Pfft.  I'm nowhere near Tasmania!
And I doubt Potato was on Friday, either.

Mist rain is something I've only seen once.  It was bizarre, but it oscillated between light rain (misty being the lightest) and super-heavy-death-from-the-skies rain for an entire week.  Lightning is always fun, though.  Set up a camera to record, and you can edit the video to get some really cool stills of the bolts.

Really? You've only seen it once? We get it all the time here.