Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387769 times)

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1875 on: November 28, 2014, 09:25:25 AM »
Would anyone explain to the high-schooler how this major-minor stuff works?

Oh noes, I missed the self-defence discussion :p Well I guess I might have written essays on how to punch most effectively, so maybe it’s good I missed the opportunity ;)
How do you manage with so many majors and minors and other subjects? That sounds really impressive.

You're welcome to give advice nevertheless. Oh, and thanks to that lesson now I'm aching all over. Grrr.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1876 on: November 28, 2014, 09:51:04 AM »

You're welcome to give advice nevertheless. Oh, and thanks to that lesson now I'm aching all over. Grrr.

If you are studying to get a Bachelor's or master's degree you are able to choose your course of studies. If you decide on Philosophy and want a Bachelor of arts on this topic, Philosophy would be your major topic. As University wants to widen your horizon you have to pick other topics as well not directly belonging to your major topic. In Germany there are often restrictions which topics are allowed to combined with each other. For Philosophy this might be Politics, Biology or even maths (depending on the university). This would be the combinition of one major and one minor.
You may be able to take a topic consisting of two equal sections like an biological informatic. You would do both as a major topic but are allowed to combine one minor . Some studies are suited in a way that you may choose two majors combining with two minors, but those majors require less time each than studying only one major. Uhm, yeah I hope I made myself understandable.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1877 on: November 28, 2014, 09:57:15 AM »

Major = what you get a degree in.
Minor = other random stuff that you would like to learn about while you're at uni.

My major is mechanical engineering, so I don't have the time for a minor, because my courses are so brain-implodingly demanding sometimes.  I would've liked to minor in art or music though...
Feel free to PM.

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1878 on: November 28, 2014, 10:05:38 AM »
Major = what you get a degree in.
Minor = other random stuff that you would like to learn about while you're at uni.

My major is mechanical engineering, so I don't have the time for a minor, because my courses are so brain-implodingly demanding sometimes.  I would've liked to minor in art or music though...

I don't think my school allows minors (or maybe not just for undergrad) and I know I wouldn't be able to handle the coursework, but I would love to minor in art history. Then I could have some training in something I could get a job from. (*cartooning major problems*)

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Fen Shen

• Ranger
  • one post per day keeps the madness away
« Reply #1879 on: November 28, 2014, 11:24:40 AM »
At my university you could only study one major + one minor during undergrad studies, and only one major + additional courses to "broaden your horizon" during graduate studies. I'd have loved to study more different topics, although I wouldn't have been able to finish my studies so soon.  :-\

For self-defence my general advice would be to practice some simple things that suit your body type, because there's no "magic move" for everyone and for every situation. Observe your surroundings and the people around you to evade critical situations before you really have to defend yourself (trust you gut feelings, so to say). And if you practice some self defence stuff, try to do it as realistic as possible - just to get to know the feeling of being attacked and having to do something. Personally, if it was neccessary I'd go for a mix of screaming, elbows and knees and attacks to the head/neck if possible.
I have to add that luckily I've never been in a situation yet where I would have needed any self defence for real.
speaks: :germany: :uk: :france:
learning: :italy: :norway: :spain:
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:
:hat: :betterhat:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1880 on: November 28, 2014, 11:45:28 AM »
At my university you could only study one major + one minor during undergrad studies, and only one major + additional courses to "broaden your horizon" during graduate studies. I'd have loved to study more different topics, although I wouldn't have been able to finish my studies so soon.  :-\

If you study to become a teacher here, you are only allowed to choose topics on this. You even are not allowed to let additional courses go into your final graduation certificate. I think that is horrible, because of that school is full of people only knowing a lot of stuff about school but not enough about how to use this knowledge in daily live. If they go the straight way, that is.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #1881 on: November 28, 2014, 01:56:56 PM »
Thanks for the explanation! Hmmm... I take it is not possible to minor in everything? Damn. One more life decision to make in just four years.

For self-defence my general advice would be to practice some simple things that suit your body type, because there's no "magic move" for everyone and for every situation. Observe your surroundings and the people around you to evade critical situations before you really have to defend yourself (trust you gut feelings, so to say). And if you practice some self defence stuff, try to do it as realistic as possible - just to get to know the feeling of being attacked and having to do something. Personally, if it was neccessary I'd go for a mix of screaming, elbows and knees and attacks to the head/neck if possible.
I have to add that luckily I've never been in a situation yet where I would have needed any self defence for real.

Hmm. I think I'd go for girly scream+the migtiest kick I can muster. I do kick people a lot, mostly when I get annoyed (hey, I am in a class where the 2/3 of us are boys. If they can fight each other, I can fight them too, and I have the advantage of being a petite sweet little girl who no one has the courage to fight back. I've learned the art of hurting people over time)
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1882 on: November 28, 2014, 02:41:02 PM »
Thanks for the explanation! Hmmm... I take it is not possible to minor in everything? Damn. One more life decision to make in just four years.

Hmm. I think I'd go for girly scream+the migtiest kick I can muster. I do kick people a lot, mostly when I get annoyed (hey, I am in a class where the 2/3 of us are boys. If they can fight each other, I can fight them too, and I have the advantage of being a petite sweet little girl who no one has the courage to fight back. I've learned the art of hurting people over time)

It takes a special kind of courage to fight back against an abusive little girl. A kind which is seldom seen.

Fen Shen

• Ranger
« Reply #1883 on: November 28, 2014, 02:43:29 PM »
The problem with kicks is that they only work if you have still some distance for a fight. But if you're too close, the knee can still take over.  ;)

I've spent all evening in front of the TV watching Downton Abbey. I can't believe I've gotten addicted to that series - this "who marries whom and oh there's drama" is normally not my cup of tea. But seems there is nothing I can do about that...
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :book2: :chap12:

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #1884 on: November 28, 2014, 02:56:26 PM »
I've spent all evening in front of the TV watching Downton Abbey. I can't believe I've gotten addicted to that series - this "who marries whom and oh there's drama" is normally not my cup of tea. But seems there is nothing I can do about that...

I think the last TV series I watched to completion was the original Avatar series. And...that's about the only one, too.

But generally, romantic drama/ Jane-Austin-y type stories are not my favorite, either.

Fen Shen

• Ranger
« Reply #1885 on: November 28, 2014, 03:11:06 PM »
That's funny, the Avatar series was also the last one I was addicted to. (And still am. Just rewatched part of the 2nd season on Monday when I was "ironing".)

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #1886 on: November 28, 2014, 03:17:26 PM »
That's funny, the Avatar series was also the last one I was addicted to. (And still am. Just rewatched part of the 2nd season on Monday when I was "ironing".)

I misread that as "Iroh-ing." :P But wait, why were you "ironing" and not ironing?

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1887 on: November 28, 2014, 03:22:41 PM »
The problem with kicks is that they only work if you have still some distance for a fight. But if you're too close, the knee can still take over.  ;)

after we rewatched "That guy with glasses" kindly explaining why Rocko's modern life was a clear adult series I fear, I have to close that gap. Everything was happening so random, and than a foot started talking to me...

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #1888 on: November 28, 2014, 04:15:59 PM »
Hurrah, Pokémon Alpha Saphire and Pokémon Omega Ruby! Now I just need to wait over the weekend so I can borrow my kid's 3DS and start playing my Saphire, for obviously he'll need it for playing his Ruby during the non-school days.
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1889 on: November 28, 2014, 04:41:59 PM »

Yeeeeeees.  Downton Abbey is so good!  The drama stuff usually fmdoesnt do it for me either, but it feels... weirdly different.  It's tied with Avatar for my favorite series of all time.  In fact, that statement is how I've been convincing other Americans to watch Avatar. 

@Pessi, you are in for a treat.  I can hardly stop playing mine!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 04:45:07 PM by Eich »
Feel free to PM.