Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409525 times)

Solokov

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Live life, start chaos.
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #16185 on: August 09, 2016, 04:51:17 PM »
My family's ranch is on fire. (This is a good thing btw) This means I now don't have to submit paperwork to the state of California and pay 1000 dollars to apply for a stream bed alteration permit just to clear brush and have the possibility of them saying "ahahahaha no."....

The bad news is it was arson and the jackass that lit it torched my grandad's house..... win some you loose some. I hope calfire can't get it under control till all 10k acres have burned though. Lord knows it needs a good fire.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.

Keeper

• Ranger
  • Child of the Sun
« Reply #16186 on: August 09, 2016, 05:52:38 PM »
Right, you're upstate.  (Don't take it wrong.  Technically, upstate for me is anything north of midtown, but I I use "upstate" for most things Westchester and up ;) )

I don't mind the subway. It's cheap and gets me where I want to go.  (If it's later at night, I might grab a cab or Uber it back to Penn Staion to get home).  And the crowds...well, bad as they are here, London is so much worse because nobody in London knows how to walk through a crowd.

Hehehe, for me upstate is Dutchess and beyond.  ;D So I'll be moving "upstate" in a few weeks when I move into Marist.

My family's ranch is on fire. (This is a good thing btw) This means I now don't have to submit paperwork to the state of California and pay 1000 dollars to apply for a stream bed alteration permit just to clear brush and have the possibility of them saying "ahahahaha no."....

The bad news is it was arson and the jackass that lit it torched my grandad's house..... win some you loose some. I hope calfire can't get it under control till all 10k acres have burned though. Lord knows it needs a good fire.

Wow. Well that's...certainly looking on the bright side of things! Good luck, hope the fire doesn't do any more damage than you want it to.
:chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :book3: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :book4:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Mark my words, it's not quite what you thought.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #16187 on: August 09, 2016, 07:39:10 PM »
Solokov, good luck, and may the grass regenerate well for you! We have the same problem here - 'greenies' down in the city who don't get that if you leave everything to degenerate into a tangle of dead brushwood because of fire bans, it will burn hot enough and widely enough to kill all the wildlife when it does, inevitably, happen.

Here in South Australia we also have a fire-based dry sclerophyll ecology. Many of the plants actually need fire to regenerate from lignotubers, or to germinate their seeds and wipe out soil-borne pathogens, or trigger flowering. Back before white settlement, you got lightning fires often enough to keep things clean. Plus a lot of small wildlife (bandicoots, marsupial mice, bettongs and the like) which are now extinct or endangered, kept the underbrush down enough to ensure 'cooler', less destructive fires. The local Aborigines also practised 'firestick farming', setting small fires in still weather in winter, which cleared small tracts of brush to make open grassland patches between areas of forest, thus encouraging fresh grass for the kangaroos and wallabies they hunted, regrowth of root crops such as lilies, orchids and yam-daisies, while leaving tracts of brush in between for shelter belts.

Since my area has been largely overplanted with 'managed' timber forests, with wilder bits in less accessible terrain labelled 'conservation areas' and left unmanaged, we have had regular destructive wildfires. To give perspective, if you look at a recent fire map of SA, where I live is about equidistant between the sites of the Eden Valley, Pinery and Sampson Flat Fires.

We need better fire management! Sounds like you do too.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Solokov

« Reply #16188 on: August 09, 2016, 11:13:07 PM »
Wow. Well that's...certainly looking on the bright side of things! Good luck, hope the fire doesn't do any more damage than you want it to.

Solokov, good luck, and may the grass regenerate well for you!

[Short lecture on fire ecology]

We need better fire management! Sounds like you do too.

Yup yup. Unfortunately this is an area that hasn't burned since "the third Reich was in vogue"

Regardless, 800 acres burned, 9100 to go, 10% containment in high desert box canyon country with oily sagebrush after 5 years of drought.
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #16189 on: August 10, 2016, 12:10:56 AM »
*shudders* I've been to NYC once and it nearly killed me. I just remember the sensory overload that was Times Square, during which I spent the entire time staring longingly up at a screen showing scenes of mountains and wilderness. I want to live some place where I can see the stars, and where I can be alone once in a while.

To be fair, pretty much everyone who lives in Manhattan hates and avoids Times Square. :P It's definitely a bad representation of New York. I like Manhattan and still agree on most of the criticism, ha. (the trash bag piles on the curb... the bane of my existence. Also there are way too many people for my personal taste.)

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #16191 on: August 10, 2016, 08:30:46 AM »

Arson? Whaaaaaaat?
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #16192 on: August 10, 2016, 09:34:07 AM »
Arson? Whaaaaaaat?

My thoughts exactly. What?! Do they know who did it?

Sorry about the house, though. :Va
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #16193 on: August 10, 2016, 09:43:40 AM »
Air conditioning is EVIL and I swear it's out to get me personally. Right now my office is colder than literally every other place in the building, even WITH the windows open, even WITH 90 degree weather. I know this because I've been to just about every other place in the building because I can't work in my office because I can't focus because it's so cold. Opening my door is like walking into a refrigerator, and it is NOT just me - everyone who's walked in here has also said it's unusually cold. Why is it always me, the person who can happily sprawl out atop hot blacktop in triple-digit weather, who always ends up in the most unreasonably (evil) air-conditioned spot in the building? >:(
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Solokov

« Reply #16194 on: August 10, 2016, 10:31:10 AM »
Correction. 5-6400 acres
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #16195 on: August 10, 2016, 01:08:02 PM »
Air conditioning is EVIL and I swear it's out to get me personally. Right now my office is colder than literally every other place in the building, even WITH the windows open, even WITH 90 degree weather. I know this because I've been to just about every other place in the building because I can't work in my office because I can't focus because it's so cold. Opening my door is like walking into a refrigerator, and it is NOT just me - everyone who's walked in here has also said it's unusually cold. Why is it always me, the person who can happily sprawl out atop hot blacktop in triple-digit weather, who always ends up in the most unreasonably (evil) air-conditioned spot in the building? >:(

Have you tried cardboard and duct tape over the vent, or maybe just the duct tape?
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #16196 on: August 11, 2016, 03:48:37 PM »
My housemate sent me this link :
/>
I've never seen Star Wars Rebel before, but if you're looking for me, I'll be re-reading Timothy Zahn's Heir to the Empire :D
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #16197 on: August 12, 2016, 08:48:59 AM »
*blinks* Why did we just get spammed with a bunch of Spanish "male enhancement" ads?
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Basse

• Scout
  • I don't know what I'm doing!
« Reply #16198 on: August 12, 2016, 08:50:59 AM »
*blinks* Why did we just get spammed with a bunch of Spanish "male enhancement" ads?
Because the russian ones got taken down?
Native: :sweden:
:chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:
:book3:

Olga Veresk

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Il n'y a que le premier pas qui coûte
« Reply #16199 on: August 12, 2016, 09:06:02 AM »
Because the russian ones got taken down?

Why Russian? I feel huffed  :(

Is it possible to ask mods to just delete this threads? I already marked them as spam. It's really nasty to see that sort of ads here on Forum...
Native: :russia: Fluent: Intermediate: :france: Try to learn: :denmark: :japan:

Survived: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::book2::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::book3::chap17::chap18::chap19: