Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410585 times)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #16155 on: August 06, 2016, 12:16:58 PM »
Come to Canada? : D?
(Actually probably not a good idea, you'd turn into an Melu-popsicle)
I vote New York, of course!  (That said, it's probably easier to get a job in Québec, a place where they almost speak French).
Pls. Southern Canada barely has winters anymore.

On the other hand, I would suggest caution concerning Quebec - it's kind of already saturated work-wise. A lot of French expatriates wound up in Montreal and can't find good work and then have to look further abroad in the country.

Depends on the set of skills you bring, though.
Sadly, South Australia is probably too hot in summer, though winters, especially inland, can be colder than in France. And we have the worst unemployment in Australia. Canberra might be okay, or Tasmania, where Owl lives.
It might be nice just for the experience of living and working somewhere else and having a little adventure :3 you're pretty good at helping out people with French grammar and explaining stuff, ever thought about doing FSL or FFL teaching somewhere ?
Come work at the library with meeeee! :))
Wow, do you know I'm not even sure what I'm good for and what I want to do/could do, even in France ? *Nervous smile*
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #16156 on: August 06, 2016, 01:39:35 PM »
Wow, do you know I'm not even sure what I'm good for and what I want to do/could do, even in France ? *Nervous smile*

Be brave and send your applications to jobs you woudn't necessary consider "your kind" of work; belive me, you can discover your hidden skills in the strangest situations :)
If you're thinking about working abroad why not check out the job openings in the French Institute for example?
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #16157 on: August 06, 2016, 07:07:38 PM »

You're good at being Mélusine, and the rest you can pick up. Find something that looks interesting that you think you can do and apply!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #16158 on: August 06, 2016, 08:20:51 PM »
Helia's advice is good, Mélusine. You may discover something you are good at and love, as did one of my daughters who set out to become a chef, and through a series of unexpected events, ended up as a producer for the BBC.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #16159 on: August 07, 2016, 10:07:15 AM »
Be brave and send your applications to jobs you woudn't necessary consider "your kind" of work; belive me, you can discover your hidden skills in the strangest situations :)
If you're thinking about working abroad why not check out the job openings in the French Institute for example?
You're good at being Mélusine, and the rest you can pick up. Find something that looks interesting that you think you can do and apply!
Helia's advice is good, Mélusine. You may discover something you are good at and love, as did one of my daughters who set out to become a chef, and through a series of unexpected events, ended up as a producer for the BBC.
Oh, my... Now I don't know anymore if I want to stay here and try this examination or if I might take a look on doing something completely else I don't know yet in an unknown place ^^°
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #16160 on: August 07, 2016, 11:06:19 AM »
Look University, asbestos removal is all well and good, but you've been removing asbestos from the same area of the same building every single summer since I first got here. You'd think it would not take that many summers to get the stuff out for good. So is asbestos removal just a lot more complicated and tedious than I'm giving it credit for, or have they been putting the asbestos back every year so they can remove it again the next?
Removing asbestos in a way that doesn't violate the current regulations itself is ... tricky. Especially if it's not in neat mats on top of ceiling panels (like at my U), but, say, in the flame retardant covering sprayed onto load-bearing parts (as in the WTC towers). I'ld say that there might be reasons why the same area needs to be revisited several times, though I can't think one up right now.

I'm reminded of the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway in New York City, which has, I think, been under some sort of construction for the past 40 years!
Heavily used buildings/constructs should be under "some sort of" maintenance pretty much permanently. The German government disagreed with that in the past decades, and we're slowly finding out now just how many bridges in the nation are approaching, if not beyond, the point of "only thing left to do now is to demolish it and build a new one, amidst the chaos of a traffic breakdown that will cause".

Opposite thing is happening in East Asia, my colleagues who had layover flights in Tokyo said they're everywhere there too. It's like all of the bidets are getting up and migrating over to East Asia. They're literally everywhere here.
I wonder whether it would be possible to sneak a paper on "migrating bidets" into an ornithological journal? >:D
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Vafhudr

• Ranger
« Reply #16161 on: August 07, 2016, 11:37:58 AM »

Heavily used buildings/constructs should be under "some sort of" maintenance pretty much permanently. The German government disagreed with that in the past decades, and we're slowly finding out now just how many bridges in the nation are approaching, if not beyond, the point of "only thing left to do now is to demolish it and build a new one, amidst the chaos of a traffic breakdown that will cause".

Same thing in Canada, actually. Some people thought that all that concrete architecture built in the 70s would last for a while and cut back on maintenance - or didn't bother with it at all.

Cut 30 years later where, not only is the architecture hideous and aged even more poorly, but now also posing a public threat.
Language: :france::uk:
Some notions: :vaticancity: :greece:
A nostalgia for utopia...

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #16162 on: August 07, 2016, 11:42:32 AM »
I wonder whether it would be possible to sneak a paper on "migrating bidets" into an ornithological journal? >:D
Someone needs to stop me before I actually try to do this.

"The bidet is easily distinguishable from other species of bathroom appliances by its relatively small size and numerous faucet-like appendages. Bidets are also known to shoot jets of water when startled. This unusual defense tactic is highly effective, often causing larger predators to leap backwards in alarm."
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #16163 on: August 07, 2016, 12:02:46 PM »
"The bidet is easily distinguishable from other species of bathroom appliances by its relatively small size and numerous faucet-like appendages. Bidets are also known to shoot jets of water when startled. This unusual defense tactic is highly effective, often causing larger predators to leap backwards in alarm."
"As a more unusual trait, while bidets individually are not able to change their coloring or patterns, most of them just happen to look such that they blend into their surroundings well. Observers claim that, once a bidet has taken residence someplace, it even does not seem to change its size. The mechanisms allowing fledgling bidets to present the appearance of an adult one from the get-go are still the subject of ongoing research."
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #16164 on: August 07, 2016, 02:50:31 PM »
"As a more unusual trait, while bidets individually are not able to change their coloring or patterns, most of them just happen to look such that they blend into their surroundings well. Observers claim that, once a bidet has taken residence someplace, it even does not seem to change its size. The mechanisms allowing fledgling bidets to present the appearance of an adult one from the get-go are still the subject of ongoing research."
"The world's leading bidet experts discussed the theory that bidets might have gained this peculiar trait as a way to adapt to their environment. Most bidets are found in human homes, favoring habitats containing other species of appliance such as sinks and showers. In fact, some say that bidets are a subspecies of the sink family.
If you find a bidet in your home, do not panic. Bidets are generally considered harmless and no threat to humans. Indeed, some humans train their bidets and keep them as pets. However, if you feel your resident bidet has become overly aggressive or demanding, there are successful bidet exterminators in every country. Bidet exterminators are colloquially known as plumbers, and they are trained to quickly and humanely remove feral bidets."
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #16165 on: August 07, 2016, 04:27:35 PM »
I have no groceries, the friend who usually drives me to the store is not available this weekend, and I live in one of those infuriating areas where absolutely nothing is open on a Sunday. Seriously, I'm not out looking for a wild party, I just want to eat.
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #16166 on: August 07, 2016, 05:23:48 PM »
I have no groceries, the friend who usually drives me to the store is not available this weekend, and I live in one of those infuriating areas where absolutely nothing is open on a Sunday. Seriously, I'm not out looking for a wild party, I just want to eat.

Ughhhhh I remember before I graduated this always being a huge issue having no vehicle and of course like most places in the U.S. public transportation was non-existent or too terrible to rely on (it's why I'm extremely grateful the place I lived over the summer had a grocery store right across the street) Is ordering food possible ? I know on days when I ran out of groceries and had no way of getting to the store I'd just order a sandwich or something.

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #16167 on: August 07, 2016, 06:43:48 PM »
Ughhhhh I remember before I graduated this always being a huge issue having no vehicle and of course like most places in the U.S. public transportation was non-existent or too terrible to rely on (it's why I'm extremely grateful the place I lived over the summer had a grocery store right across the street) Is ordering food possible ? I know on days when I ran out of groceries and had no way of getting to the store I'd just order a sandwich or something.

Well, there's a Chinese restaurant right across the street, so I won't starve if I can't get groceries. I'd just like some fresh fruits and vegetables, and to not have to live on Chinese takeout for the rest of the week. Thankfully there's an Asian supermarket about a 45 min. walk away, and I managed to get some basics there.

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
« Reply #16168 on: August 07, 2016, 07:01:21 PM »
...also just saw a bona fide Mad Max scene taking place outside my window. A bunch of motorcyclists in crazy outfits with crazy-looking bikes congregating at the gas station revving their engines and leaving black marks on the pavement, plus this guy hanging out the top of a car that was also with them. Then they all took off down the road together.

Solokov

• Live life, start chaos.
« Reply #16169 on: August 07, 2016, 09:42:47 PM »
...also just saw a bona fide Mad Max scene taking place outside my window. A bunch of motorcyclists in crazy outfits with crazy-looking bikes congregating at the gas station revving their engines and leaving black marks on the pavement, plus this guy hanging out the top of a car that was also with them. Then they all took off down the road together.

Oh damn, you're not talking the fury road mad max or even beyond thunderdome bur original max.

Oddly enough i saw what basically amounted to five warboys (yes they were shiny and chromed) piled into a vw bug doing burnouts and donuts at the walmart parking lot yesterday.... then again this was in portland sooooo....
I'm a writer too,
writing things for you,
Mostly 'pocylyse things though, check out my story from the start, Blog with the Blastwave.
A relay of the /k/ signal corps.