Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2569590 times)

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #15735 on: June 17, 2016, 12:14:20 AM »
CONGRATS NOODLY! *congratulatory cookies* :squirrelcookie::squirrelcookie::squirrelcookie:
CongraduationsCongratulations Noodly! I hope you'll start to enjoy having graduated soon enough.

So, because I'm an idiot I sorta tripped over my laptop cord earlier and a small 1x1 cm piece broke off of the tip and got lodged in my computer. ::) Miraculously, I can still shove (most of)the rest of the cord in there around the fallen part and it works to charge the laptop.
Huh. At least it still works!?
I recently discovered that the weird yellowish haze I've been seeing today is in fact smoke from a nearby wildfire. Yaaaay.

On a lighter note, anyone think the :V looks like Pacman?
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #15736 on: June 17, 2016, 12:31:07 AM »
I recently discovered that the weird yellowish haze I've been seeing today is in fact smoke from a nearby wildfire. Yaaaay.

D: That wildfire is under control, I hope?

And :V totally looks like Pacman, you're right. (Since when do we have a :V smiley?! )
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Johannabelle

• Scout
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • less is more
« Reply #15737 on: June 17, 2016, 12:35:45 AM »
OK OK SO MY FRIEND IS VALEDICTORIAN AND I HAVE SPENT THE WHOLE LAST TWO WEEKS TRYING TO CONVINCE HER TO PUT THAT PUN IN HER SPEECH *cough* sorry but yes thank you. I think i will, it's just that high school was really nice for me and my school is good and has a lot of friendly people. :P

also fingers crossed on your laptop, yikes
WOW really? Did she ever put it in? XD And the laptop will be fine, I guess I'll just have to suffer with the cord not plugging in all the way and having to put it in like a puzzle. *shugs*

CONGRATS NOODLY! *congratulatory cookies* :squirrelcookie::squirrelcookie::squirrelcookie:Huh. At least it still works!?

Eeek, I hope the fire doesn't go your way or anything. D:

Considering the fact that when you hover over the :V it says 'Pacman', yes, yes I think it does.
❄~Lurks and sometimes draws~❄
Fluent: :us: | Someday: :ru:

:chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #15738 on: June 17, 2016, 12:51:32 AM »
Eeek, I hope the fire doesn't go your way or anything. D:

Considering the fact that when you hover over the :V it says 'Pacman', yes, yes I think it does.
Hahah, hadn't noticed that!  ^-^
D: That wildfire is under control, I hope?
Hmm well not at the moment, last I heard they were working on containment trenches and evacuating a town a few miles away from us. They'll probably get it under control soon, though, no one here seems more than slightly concerned. *fingers crossed*

Yuuago

• Tumblr
« Reply #15739 on: June 17, 2016, 12:54:29 AM »
Hahah, hadn't noticed that!  ^-^

I hadn't noticed that either. >3> /unobservant

Hmm well not at the moment, last I heard they were working on containment trenches and evacuating a town a few miles away from us. They'll probably get it under control soon, though, no one here seems more than slightly concerned. *fingers crossed*

Yikes. Well... perhaps I'm paranoid due to recent events, but if they're evacuating people near you, it might be worthwhile to pack a few necessities, just in case you do have to leave. I hope it'll get taken care of very soon.

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #15740 on: June 17, 2016, 01:11:23 AM »
Yikes. Well... perhaps I'm paranoid due to recent events, but if they're evacuating people near you, it might be worthwhile to pack a few necessities, just in case you do have to leave. I hope it'll get taken care of very soon.
Thanks. I got here a few days ago, so I've still got a bag packed. *sigh* Again, nobody seems all that concerned.

And does anyone know why it says "Azn" when you hover over the  ^-^?

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #15741 on: June 17, 2016, 02:48:46 AM »
Tr, I second Yuuago on the 'have a bag packed'. Also any important papers you may need - insurance, tax stuff, medical records and prescriptions - all the stuff you might need if leaving unexpectedly. He and I have both had experience with wildfires, and believe me, you don't want to be miles from home without your essential paperwork, your medications and scripts, and a couple of changes of clothes!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #15742 on: June 17, 2016, 03:56:48 AM »

Happy birthday Iceland! <3
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #15743 on: June 17, 2016, 09:48:57 AM »
heeeeeeeeey so you guys know that www.fimby.no domain? that i paid for because you gotta be norwegian to own a .no domain? my ownership of the domain is going to expire soon if i don't pay up, and it's not expensive or anything (and it was a group effort anyway) but is anyone still using it? fimby doesn't seem to be much active anymore, so maybe the time of this particular meme has Passed. if anyone wants to contribute to keeping it alive you can tell me and we'll figure it out!

while i'm posting here, might as well do a life update probably? ? ?

- the air here is so fresh and clean and good, especially when it has been raining! also it's a bit of a relief  that it's an inverted situation as last year - i was stuck in a 40 degrees prague while everyone back home had miserable weather, this time people back home complain about melting and heat and i'm like *shrugs on a sweater and a jacket* "cool"

- working here more like RAPID LANGUAGE SWITCHING CONVERSATION GAMES........ most of my coworkers are finns, most of my housemates are ukrainian, there is one swedish guy (whose name is IVAN i thought he was russian), anddddd there's my norwegian/czech self. if the finns talk among themself it's all gibberish, ukrainian i can sort of gather the gist of and sometimes i say things like 'thanks' and 'good night' in czech to them. then there's the customers! more like FRIENDLY REMINDER I HAD FRENCH AND GERMAN AT SCHOOL BUT REMEMBER NAUGHT...... i know how to say 25 (the price of a cup of coffee) in french, and pointing and gesturing helps loads, too. and i never know whether the customers speak/understand norwegian until they talk so i try to keep my greetings to some kind of mumbly  almost-norwegian almost-english hellu/g'morn so it doesn't get awkward. then there are all the bus drivers who are used to speaking finnish with everyone that works here. and then there are danish guests THAT I SHOULD BE ABLE TO UNDERSTAND BUT GOD IT'S TEMPTING TO SWITCH TO ENGLISH
...... anyway yeah i'm having tremendous fun! like non-sarcastically

- this place feels so cut off from civilization it almost feels surreal. i mean there are loads of buses going to Actual Civilization but i still feel like this is a tiny spot where time stands still?? like literally because the sUN DOESN'T GO DOWN IT'S JUST ONE ETERNALLY LONG DAY

- at my hotel job i was more of a tiny assistant that wasn't really needed, but here i am an active and responsible part of the staff and it's SO ODD but kind of nice? like i literally have to open up in the morning and prepare the breakfast buffet on my own and brew dozens of jugs of coffee and warm the waffles and talk to the customers and do all kinds of things before even the chef shows up at work. i've never had this much responsibility before but i feel like i'm handling it surprisingly well! also i get to put on my own music, and i'm trying to overcome my "SORRY IF IT'S TOO WEIRD OR TOO LOUD I CAN STOP IT IF YOU WANT" feelings about it, it's just some soft indie folk rock........ today, on my day off, the music was blasting 80/90s pop music twice as loud, so i have literally nothing to feel guilty about
you'll know where to find me.

Yuuago

• Tumblr
« Reply #15744 on: June 17, 2016, 10:06:59 AM »
- this place feels so cut off from civilization it almost feels surreal. i mean there are loads of buses going to Actual Civilization but i still feel like this is a tiny spot where time stands still?? like literally because the sUN DOESN'T GO DOWN IT'S JUST ONE ETERNALLY LONG DAY

- at my hotel job i was more of a tiny assistant that wasn't really needed, but here i am an active and responsible part of the staff and it's SO ODD but kind of nice? like i literally have to open up in the morning and prepare the breakfast buffet on my own and brew dozens of jugs of coffee and warm the waffles and talk to the customers and do all kinds of things before even the chef shows up at work. i've never had this much responsibility before but i feel like i'm handling it surprisingly well! also i get to put on my own music, and i'm trying to overcome my "SORRY IF IT'S TOO WEIRD OR TOO LOUD I CAN STOP IT IF YOU WANT" feelings about it, it's just some soft indie folk rock........ today, on my day off, the music was blasting 80/90s pop music twice as loud, so i have literally nothing to feel guilty about

That sounds pretty nice, not gonna' lie. Like, it sounds like a lot, but a... manageable amount of a lot? From what you say, anyway.

And yeah, if people are blasting it, no need to feel guilt for your music. ;p Nothing to worry about!

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #15745 on: June 17, 2016, 10:23:39 AM »
The thing about the fimby.no page is that it is technically hosted on the forum. We can keep it on the forum host even if you let the domain expire. The only difference is that at the top in the address box it wouldn't say "fimby.no" anymore.

We can also take it down if that is what people want.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #15746 on: June 17, 2016, 10:24:51 AM »
That sounds pretty nice, not gonna' lie. Like, it sounds like a lot, but a... manageable amount of a lot? From what you say, anyway.
it is surprisingly nice! just hanging around in the middle of nowhere and focusing on naught but work. i have a lowkey sense of purpose now. i'm like a monk

The thing about the fimby.no page is that it is technically hosted on the forum. We can keep it on the forum host even if you let the domain expire. The only difference is that at the top in the address box it wouldn't say "fimby.no" anymore.
ah, cool!

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #15747 on: June 17, 2016, 10:29:24 AM »
And does anyone know why it says "Azn" when you hover over the  ^-^?

The file name for that image is "azn". I'm not sure why it's called that specifically, but when you hover over the things it displays their file name.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #15748 on: June 17, 2016, 11:24:39 AM »
i'm not even exaggerating, i haven't lived here since i was 4 and i just walked into the store when some ladies i didn't recognize at all asked me "ARE YOU HELEN? DAUGHTER OF SONJA AND GUNNAR?". one of them used to be my babysitter and the other is the mom of my kindergarten friend

(i found my kindertgarten friend on facebook and he's dating the cute cashier. frankly how dares he)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2016, 01:01:15 PM by Haiz »

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #15749 on: June 17, 2016, 01:03:50 PM »
i'm not even exaggerating, i haven't lived here since i was 4 and i just walked into the store when some ladies i didn't recognize at all asked me "ARE YOU HELEN? DAUGHTER OF SONJA AND GUNNAR?". one of them used to be my babysitter and the other is the mom of my kindergarten friend

That's kind of fun, though!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy: