Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410282 times)

OwlsG0

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #15675 on: June 08, 2016, 04:47:22 AM »
I just really wanted to mention somewhere on the forum that I had a cup of juniper tea today. It was pretty good, really reminded me of cedar tea. Except the time I had cedar tea I literally just snipped some branches off of a cedar tree and boiled that in water. But like, the juniper tea actually came from the store in tea bags. My mouth kinda tastes like an evergreen tree right now and I like it. I mean gin and tonic is usually my go-to when I actually go out for a reason

Isn't that kind of like cannibalism?
stares intently at username
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #15676 on: June 08, 2016, 03:58:42 PM »
Well, gin was originally designed as a medicine, so I guess people just came to enjoy the taste. I'd rather chew juniper berries (or use them to season roast goose).
You know, I've never heard of juniper used to season but now I'm intrigued and really want to try this out ! I bet it adds a sweet but smokey flavor :3

Isn't that kind of like cannibalism?
stares intently at username
I also may or may not be a serial ax murderer, of plants.

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #15677 on: June 08, 2016, 04:52:59 PM »
You know, I've never heard of juniper used to season but now I'm intrigued and really want to try this out ! I bet it adds a sweet but smokey flavor :3

Juniper goes well with game too; vension, boar etc. It adds to the "forest flavour" :)
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #15678 on: June 08, 2016, 07:09:40 PM »
Juniper is a really useful plant. Incense, perfume, magic, antiseptics. Smoking meat, for preservation and flavour. Liqueurs (and gin). Wildlife habitat (lots of tiny wild birds nest and shelter in those dense prickly branches, and some insects eat it. Good shelter too. Out on moorland in an unexpected snowstorm, I've wriggled in between the layers of a old wind-flattened juniper clump for shelter and warmth.) Juniper oil is an ingredient in skin creams for eczema and psoriasis. In food the berries are used as a seasoning and a tea. Crushed berries go into the stuffing for game, poultry and fatty meats. Wild-pig ham or bacon smoked with juniper and infused with maple syrup.....mmmmm!

It's also a diuretic, and old-time was used as an abortifacient (there's a reason Juniperus sabinus is so named). Not a safe one though - too rough on the body, so not used anymore.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #15679 on: June 09, 2016, 03:04:26 AM »
Juniper goes well with game too; vension, boar etc. It adds to the "forest flavour" :)
It's been a very long time since I've had any wild game but if I ever do again I'll keep that in mind, foredt flavor sounds tantalizing

Juniper is a really useful plant. Incense, perfume, magic, antiseptics. Smoking meat, for preservation and flavour. Liqueurs (and gin). Wildlife habitat (lots of tiny wild birds nest and shelter in those dense prickly branches, and some insects eat it. Good shelter too. Out on moorland in an unexpected snowstorm, I've wriggled in between the layers of a old wind-flattened juniper clump for shelter and warmth.) Juniper oil is an ingredient in skin creams for eczema and psoriasis. In food the berries are used as a seasoning and a tea. Crushed berries go into the stuffing for game, poultry and fatty meats. Wild-pig ham or bacon smoked with juniper and infused with maple syrup.....mmmmm!

It's also a diuretic, and old-time was used as an abortifacient (there's a reason Juniperus sabinus is so named). Not a safe one though - too rough on the body, so not used anymore.
Ohhhh I always like hearing more about apothoceric purposes behind different plants, there's always so many ö

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #15680 on: June 09, 2016, 11:21:08 AM »
anyone want a haiz life update? because here is one

- waffles are serious business. there's a waffle cage in the freezer room. a lady asked if they are fresh, "did you bake them today or yesterday", ma'am those are industrial waffles we merely warm them up in the microwave oven but i assure you they are fresh and delicious

- it's a finnish tradition to put a little coin on the coffee stovetop?

- remember last year at the hotel job in prague, when my most treasured skill was the ability to speak czech? now i cause wonder and awe with my super amazing native norwegian speaking abilities.
.... i'm also mistaken for finnish on a regular basis.

- this is one of those small places where everyone knows who my parents are

- I'M SUPER FAR NORTH AND THE SUN STAYS UP ALL THE TIME BUT THE CLOSEST IT GETS TO BEING A SUNRISE IS AROUND 1AM WHEN I AM TRYING TO SLEEP BUT GOLDEN LIGHT IS FLOODING THROUGH MY WINDOW. IT IS ALSO, INCIDENTALLY, THE ONLY TIME OF THE DAY WHEN THE WEATHER IS NICE?? it's like raining all day until the night when suddenly bam nice shining sun. this is ridiculous honeslty
you'll know where to find me.

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #15681 on: June 09, 2016, 11:48:31 AM »
anyone want a haiz life update? because here is one

We *always* want a Haiz Life Update
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #15682 on: June 09, 2016, 11:59:26 AM »
Second that, Urbicande!

Haiz, I gather you are working somewhere touristy? It's raining a lot here too, but this is my busiest time of the year, (Autumn and early Winter), because this is when I get to take lots of groups out to the forest, teaching them to forage for mushrooms and other edible and medicinal stuff. It's fun, and much more like what I used to do, and it pays my mortgage. The Barossa, where I am, has a lot of foodie tourism, so between that and the locals it's quite busy!

I certainly won't complain of the rain, after the last few years of drought and bushfires!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #15683 on: June 09, 2016, 12:14:13 PM »
Haiz, I gather you are working somewhere touristy?
yeeeeeep it's on the route to nordkapp, so main business are buses full of tourists. it's a hotel/camping site/tavern/souvenir shop cluster.

edit:

« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 02:21:12 PM by Haiz »

saminiemi

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #15684 on: June 09, 2016, 02:33:28 PM »
- it's a finnish tradition to put a little coin on the coffee stovetop?
I don't know if it is a finnish thing only. But it is a sign of bad coffee more often than not. They are kept on top of the stove to lessen the impact of heat on the coffee and thus trying to prolong the life of the coffee. Meaning that they don't bother to make new coffee and try to sell old coffee to customers. Old coffee is heresy.

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #15685 on: June 09, 2016, 02:37:37 PM »
I don't know if it is a finnish thing only. But it is a sign of bad coffee more often than not. They are kept on top of the stove to lessen the impact of heat on the coffee and thus trying to prolong the life of the coffee. Meaning that they don't bother to make new coffee and try to sell old coffee to customers. Old coffee is heresy.
huh! well the coffee we sell is definitely not old because coffee is the lifeblood of the tavern, it flows like water, like a river, we have to make new coffee all the time, we make so much coffee holy heck

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #15686 on: June 09, 2016, 03:22:31 PM »

That's above the Arctic Circle!
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

saminiemi

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #15687 on: June 09, 2016, 03:35:29 PM »
huh! well the coffee we sell is definitely not old because coffee is the lifeblood of the tavern, it flows like water, like a river, we have to make new coffee all the time, we make so much coffee holy heck
I need to come for a nice cup of coffee then :)

But a bit too far away I'm afraid.

But lucky you. Sun set next time in August or so? I do miss Lappland in summer.

Ragnarok

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #15688 on: June 09, 2016, 03:39:51 PM »
That's above the Arctic Circle!

Which might explain the constant need for coffee....
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #15689 on: June 09, 2016, 03:42:46 PM »
Sighhhh, I'm jealous, I've always wanted to experience polar nights and midnight sun just for the sake of it. I'll probably wind up that far north eventually to be able to do that, hopefully.