Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410076 times)

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #15510 on: May 19, 2016, 12:03:59 AM »
On the topic of saunas, I was in a YMCA locker room today and staring me in the face was a sauna. In the southeastern US. Why? Who knows. Have I ever seen anyone use it in my lifetime at this Y? Heck no.
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Fluent :usa:
Learning :germany:
Can count in :japan:
Actually learned a lot of in elementary school, but can now only remember how to decline verbs :vaticancity:
Maybe some day :norway:

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #15511 on: May 19, 2016, 12:29:33 AM »
On the topic of saunas, I was in a YMCA locker room today and staring me in the face was a sauna. In the southeastern US. Why? Who knows. Have I ever seen anyone use it in my lifetime at this Y? Heck no.
See I feel like I've seen quite a few locker rooms around the US with saunas in them especially if it's a larger or nicer gym. My University's locker rooms had saunas in them and those were usually pretty packed (which might have been in part because it was in Michigan's upper peninsula which has a HUGE population of people of Finnish descent)

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
« Reply #15512 on: May 19, 2016, 12:33:39 AM »
Quote from: Juniper
See I feel like I've seen quite a few locker rooms around the US with saunas in them especially if it's a larger or nicer gym. My University's locker rooms had saunas in them and those were usually pretty packed (which might have been in part because it was in Michigan's upper peninsula which has a HUGE population of people of Finnish descent)
That and it actually gets cold in Michigan. It's already pushing 90F here and barely ever went below 40F in the winter, why you would feel the need to be even hotter is beyond me. Unless there's some allure to saunas I'm missing?
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Actually learned a lot of in elementary school, but can now only remember how to decline verbs :vaticancity:

Athena

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • previously Luth Nightbreeze
« Reply #15513 on: May 19, 2016, 12:38:23 AM »
That and it actually gets cold in Michigan. It's already pushing 90F here and barely ever went below 40F in the winter, why you would feel the need to be even hotter is beyond me. Unless there's some allure to saunas I'm missing?

Well, it's humid air rather than dry air. We have very dry air here. There has been a sauna in pretty much every gym I've been to. (Which is like, one) of course that may also have to do with how cold it gets. It's hit -40 here before, although this year we had a pretty mild winter.
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
« Reply #15514 on: May 19, 2016, 12:50:48 AM »
Quote from: Luth Nightbreeze
Well, it's humid air rather than dry air. We have very dry air here. There has been a sauna in pretty much every gym I've been to. (Which is like, one) of course that may also have to do with how cold it gets. It's hit -40 here before, although this year we had a pretty mild winter.
Hahahaha, humid air. Most of the time in the summer here the humidity is 100% outside. So I guess I live in a sauna?

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #15515 on: May 19, 2016, 12:54:54 AM »
Ah shoot yeah I forgot it's not as cold down there  :P

saminiemi

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #15516 on: May 19, 2016, 03:22:23 AM »
Sauna temperatures are between 140°F and 220°F (or 60-110°C). 140 is very low, almost cold. 220 or so is about the max.

Now with little kids we usually heat ours to 140 , but I would prefer 180. Public saunas (like in the swimming halls etc.) Are typically set to 180-200°F.

Heat is nice, but even nicer is the heat/steam waves that come from throwing "löyly" (water to stones).

urbicande

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #15517 on: May 19, 2016, 09:36:57 AM »
It won't last, but with this post, I get to party like it's 1999!

(Which means I'll hit 2000 posts on my next one, and the one after that should be a picture of HAL9000)
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Kelpie

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • formerly known as Jhev
« Reply #15518 on: May 19, 2016, 11:05:47 AM »
Quote from: saminiemi
Sauna temperatures are between 140°F and 220°F (or 60-110°C). 140 is very low, almost cold. 220 or so is about the max.

Now with little kids we usually heat ours to 140 , but I would prefer 180. Public saunas (like in the swimming halls etc.) Are typically set to 180-200°F.

Heat is nice, but even nicer is the heat/steam waves that come from throwing "löyly" (water to stones).
Oookay then that is a whole lot hotter than I thought those got. I'll shut up now.

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #15519 on: May 19, 2016, 02:45:38 PM »

Ah yeah a few weeks ago I was in a locker room sauna with some friend and I went to throw the löyly and I think it was way too much water, or at least too much for me and my friends who aren't as conditioned to super hot or steamy saunas cuz I threw on I think was more than a gallon, maybe around a gallon and a half which I think would be around two liters ? And it doesn't help that I mixed in what was probably WAY too much tea tree oil (I dunno if that's a common practice in Finland to mix in essential oil or any nice smelling oil with the löyly but I like to cuz it makes it smell nice) so anyway it was kind of like getting punched in the face with tea tree and heat so me and my friends actually ended up running out of the sauna gasping and an old lady out there showering and getting ready to come in was laughing at us  :P

Rabbit

• Retired Moderator
  • Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • pocket gremlin
  • Preferred pronouns: he/she/they/it
« Reply #15520 on: May 19, 2016, 03:01:07 PM »
Ah yeah a few weeks ago I was in a locker room sauna with some friend and I went to throw the löyly and I think it was way too much water, or at least too much for me and my friends who aren't as conditioned to super hot or steamy saunas cuz I threw on I think was more than a gallon, maybe around a gallon and a half which I think would be around two liters ? And it doesn't help that I mixed in what was probably WAY too much tea tree oil (I dunno if that's a common practice in Finland to mix in essential oil or any nice smelling oil with the löyly but I like to cuz it makes it smell nice) so anyway it was kind of like getting punched in the face with tea tree and heat so me and my friends actually ended up running out of the sauna gasping and an old lady out there showering and getting ready to come in was laughing at us  :P

:o :o :o
...next time, try going one cup at a time.
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:finland: :uk: :japan: :sweden: :germany:
:chap4: :chap5:
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

Avatar courtesy of the mighty starfallz

Pupunen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #15521 on: May 19, 2016, 03:04:25 PM »
If we ever have an international Minnion meet-up in Finland, we should arrange a "how to use a sauna" class for our foreign guests... :D
Native: :finland:
Fluent: :sweden: :uk:
Good: :italy:
Understand but don't speak: :denmark: :norway:
Basics: :russia: :wales: :iceland: :vaticancity:

:chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15:

Uinuvien

• Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #15522 on: May 19, 2016, 03:11:20 PM »
If we ever have an international Minnion meet-up in Finland, we should arrange a "how to use a sauna" class for our foreign guests... :D

YES! I would so be in, if only I can make it!

BTW, I wouldn't oppose sauna-less Minion meet-up here, either...
Native :finland:
Fluent :uk:
Learning :sweden:
Some knowledge :germany:
:chap5: :book2: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Rabbit

• Retired Moderator
  • Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • pocket gremlin
  • Preferred pronouns: he/she/they/it
« Reply #15523 on: May 19, 2016, 03:13:01 PM »

Aww yeah :D
And the advanced class "bomb-diving into a cold lake" if we can.
proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:finland: :uk: :japan: :sweden: :germany:
:chap4: :chap5:
:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
:chap12: :chap13: :chap14:

Avatar courtesy of the mighty starfallz

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #15524 on: May 19, 2016, 03:27:35 PM »
:o :o :o
...next time, try going one cup at a time.
Lesson learned and dually noted ;3