Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387542 times)

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1665 on: November 22, 2014, 03:24:17 AM »
Heh. So I was just drawing for art class (and pathetically failing in my task), when someone called me from behind and for some weird reason asked "[Name]... Are you a communist? You aren't a communist, are you?" O_o

Uhm, why would one ask that? Cause of fighting for your pupil's rights in school?
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #1666 on: November 22, 2014, 03:57:56 AM »
Uhm, why would one ask that? Cause of fighting for your pupil's rights in school?

Nah. I'm pretty sure it was because I'm Albanian.... So I just asked him if he was a fascist, since he's Italian. He replied he was O_o (I'm sure he was joking... But still, that was just weird)
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1667 on: November 22, 2014, 04:49:33 AM »
Nah. I'm pretty sure it was because I'm Albanian.... So I just asked him if he was a fascist, since he's Italian. He replied he was O_o (I'm sure he was joking... But still, that was just weird)

I just discovered that I never build up prejeduices against Albania due to a lack of knowledge about the country :D. But at school I have been asked the same question by many because at the age of sixteen I wore a mohawk haircut. But I think at that age I might have had an affinitian to some communistic ideas. My father then always quoted the saying: "He who is no communist at 20 has no heart, he who is it at 40 still, has no reason."  I only discovered yet that this saying exists in several variations and is not clearly assigned to a certain autor. Their origins vary from France, over the UK to Italy and the supposed German authors are left politians as well as from the right wing. Quite amusing.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1668 on: November 22, 2014, 05:38:56 AM »
Huh, that's really weird O__O kids (boys especially) tend to say weird things like that at your age for some reason....it's a mystery. They try to be all political all of a sudden (sometimes copying things their parents have said at the dinner table) and they just look like doofuses. (*knows next to nothing about communism...so isn't sure if the next paragraph is topic-related...?*)

I used to have classmates ask if I was Chinese (?what?!?) and now I get asked a lot if I'm from Russia or Eastern Europe, and when I ask why they just go "oh I dunno I just thought... *gestures wildly around their facial features*" it's odd because I look nothing like an actual person from those areas, just the stereotype version eg: pale with a dark bob= hillbilly child's idea of Asian, "strong" facial features and a no-nonsense expression= Russian femme fatale complete with beauty spots and furry hat apparently.... People are weird.

When I was your age, probably younger, we didn't know about any international stuff like fascism and communism, so what kids asked instead was "Are you a Greenie/Leftie?" Because we lived in a right-wing forestry town, wanting to protect the environment etc made you satan. :/

The boy wasn't being rude or anything was he? }:| because.... *rolls up sleeves, prepares plane ticket to italy*

My only knowledge of Albania is from travel shows showing the scenery, and....Eurovision.... So I don't know any history stuffs (they didn't teach very good/global history here :/)
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 06:07:30 AM by OrigamiOwl »
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1669 on: November 22, 2014, 06:45:43 AM »
I just discovered that I never build up prejeduices against Albania due to a lack of knowledge about the country :D. But at school I have been asked the same question by many because at the age of sixteen I wore a mohawk haircut. But I think at that age I might have had an affinitian to some communistic ideas. My father then always quoted the saying: "He who is no communist at 20 has no heart, he who is it at 40 still, has no reason."  I only discovered yet that this saying exists in several variations and is not clearly assigned to a certain autor. Their origins vary from France, over the UK to Italy and the supposed German authors are left politians as well as from the right wing. Quite amusing.
.My roommate's back from partying, and he's snoring like a damn train wreck. So, 2.5 hours of sleep posting time, yay!  (If I was a mean person, I'd plug my computer into his loud, loud very-loud speakers and play some of Jack White's guitar solos. Hangovers: easy to take advantage of)  I admit, I have a hard time picturing you in a Mohawk.  Our newly arrived "Lord of Mohawks" would approve, I think.

My mom said a variant of that a lot when I was a teenager.
Which means I'm a monster..  Or, well, I used to be.  I don't bother with politics at all anymore because it just makes me angry; I don't like being angry.

@Nimphy, that dude can shove off with his stereotypes.  Also... *shame intensifies* I didn't know Albania was a country until you brought it up.  Have I mentioned I was a terrible student in my younger years?  I almost failed every class I took, until I turned 14 and turned into me.  Geography was one of those classes.  *Apologizes for being dumb*

@Owl, everyone can tell I look German (by descent, at least).  The only other thing I've been called is Irish, and I have some Irish blood in me too, so they're still right.  German genes are apparently super strong, so my siblings and I all look like my dad, with only a couple Scottish and Irish features from my mom's side of the family.
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1670 on: November 22, 2014, 06:59:15 AM »
.My roommate's back from partying, and he's snoring like a damn train wreck.
Pfft, I read that as "snorting like a train wreck". Calm down Tony Montana.

Well, *you're* old enough to fix your own drinks.  [Gets The Look from the thirsty Norwegian.]
Oh, what the heck -- as Jimmy Buffett observed, it's 5 o'clock somewhere.
[Rattles ice cubes; "phhhffft" of tonic bottle opening; gurgling sounds.]

Wedge of lime, Captain Terror General's Daughter Dreadful Wolf Sergeant Major Damage Sir?  Or Meyer lemon?
What is this fruit nonsense? I'll have it on the rocks, please. Actually, I'll take the lemon, might need to interrogate someone.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 07:05:04 AM by Fimbulvarg »

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1671 on: November 22, 2014, 07:10:54 AM »
German genes are apparently super strong,

Oh my gosh, my brain just randomly unearthed the mental image of the Hetalia conference scenes with Eich as Germany shouting stuff about forums for no logical reason ;___;

Where did that mental image come from?! It's so silly O___O
Since when did I even see that show yet alone remember it??
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 07:20:49 AM by OrigamiOwl »

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #1672 on: November 22, 2014, 07:19:57 AM »

@Nimphy, that dude can shove off with his stereotypes.  Also... *shame intensifies* I didn't know Albania was a country until you brought it up.  Have I mentioned I was a terrible student in my younger years?  I almost failed every class I took, until I turned 14 and turned into me.  Geography was one of those classes.  *Apologizes for being dumb*

'Ts alright, Eich, no one really knows about Albania over here either. Everything people can tell about my country is that there are lots of immigrants from there, and that we've got a nice sea down in Vlora. And I really doubt you would learn about every secondary European country in a Geography class, anyway (in our Geography lessons the teacher skipped Albania completely, waaah!)

Huh, that's really weird O__O kids (boys especially) tend to say weird things like that at your age for some reason....it's a mystery. They try to be all political all of a sudden (sometimes copying things their parents have said at the dinner table) and they just look like doofuses. (*knows next to nothing about communism...so isn't sure if the next paragraph is topic-related...?*)

I used to have classmates ask if I was Chinese (?what?!?) and now I get asked a lot if I'm from Russia or Eastern Europe, and when I ask why they just go "oh I dunno I just thought... *gestures wildly around their facial features*" it's odd because I look nothing like an actual person from those areas, just the stereotype version eg: pale with a dark bob= hillbilly child's idea of Asian, "strong" facial features and a no-nonsense expression= Russian femme fatale complete with beauty spots and furry hat apparently.... People are weird.

When I was your age, probably younger, we didn't know about any international stuff like fascism and communism, so what kids asked instead was "Are you a Greenie/Leftie?" Because we lived in a right-wing forestry town, wanting to protect the environment etc made you satan. :/

The boy wasn't being rude or anything was he? }:| because.... *rolls up sleeves, prepares plane ticket to italy*

My only knowledge of Albania is from travel shows showing the scenery, and....Eurovision.... So I don't know any history stuffs (they didn't teach very good/global history here :/)

No, this one wasn't being rude, just very stupid ;) I've been indeed called lots of names in a rude way, but this time it was just a weird question asked for no real reason...

Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1673 on: November 22, 2014, 07:29:38 AM »
No, this one wasn't being rude, just very stupid ;) I've been indeed called lots of names in a rude way, but this time it was just a weird question asked for no real reason...
*rolls sleeves higher and packs cricket bat* ugh people who do that make me so mad and disappointed in society ;`___’; (I couldn't think of a proper angry/sad face)
*hugs*

Paul Ferris

« Reply #1674 on: November 22, 2014, 07:36:32 AM »

How old are you? If you were still in school during VCE's introduction you could have gotten SOME knowledge (still shitty, but better than nothing) from 20th Century History or one of the other history subjects. I agree though, 'Strayan education isn't that good. Too much teaching for jobs/to the test, not enough worldliness.
Learning: :denmark:
Can read and sort-of speak: :france:
Native: :australia:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1675 on: November 22, 2014, 07:44:59 AM »

How old are you? If you were still in school during VCE's introduction you could have gotten SOME knowledge (still s***ty, but better than nothing) from 20th Century History or one of the other history subjects. I agree though, 'Strayan education isn't that good. Too much teaching for jobs/to the test, not enough worldliness.
I'm 20, and have no clue what VCE is :/ (also Tasmania isn't renown for its fantastic schooling)
History-wise, throughout school I've studied Australian colonial history, Tasmanian aboriginal history, 2 weeks of Ancient Rome and Middle Ages, (limited) WW1 and 2 and now some more Ancient Rome and Greece at university. That is all ;__;
We had SOSE class, which had geography in it, but our class was kinda dumb so I didn't learn anything I didn't already know :(

*looks up VCE* oh! TCE! *looks at website* doesn't say anything about history and worldliness ;___; just "everyday reading/writing/communication/participation skills"
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 07:52:37 AM by OrigamiOwl »

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1676 on: November 22, 2014, 08:15:48 AM »
'Ts alright, Eich, no one really knows about Albania over here either. Everything people can tell about my country is that there are lots of immigrants from there, and that we've got a nice sea down in Vlora. And I really doubt you would learn about every secondary European country in a Geography class, anyway (in our Geography lessons the teacher skipped Albania completely, waaah!)

I had to learn its flag, and the neighbour countries. And it was part of discussion because many countries have been missed out in our old geographic's Atlas because they dated back to a time, the GDR still existed (I think this book was dated before my birth and this was at 2002...), though Albania was there so unlike Estonia or Latvia it was not swallowed by the Sowjet Union. I looked at Wikipedia and I shall be bound for Albanias history for some time now. It is really interesting.

I admit, I have a hard time picturing you in a Mohawk.  Our newly arrived "Lord of Mohawks" would approve, I think.

I have just one picture left around somewhere and though the face has not changed much the all over look is quite weird, looking back. My pupils are always amused if I take the print Version to school when we are talking about body changes during adolescence :D.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Finhawk

• Super-Newbie
  • King of Apples | Mohawk Lord
« Reply #1677 on: November 22, 2014, 10:12:59 AM »
I believe I was summoned?

I approve everything that has anything to do with mohawks.

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #1678 on: November 22, 2014, 11:12:52 AM »
I believe I was summoned?

I approve everything that has anything to do with mohawks.

What is left of it is hairloss in the area where I dyed and sprayed ;). Though it got somewhat better about the last six years. Maybe the skin there has gained some trust in me being good to it again.

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1679 on: November 22, 2014, 11:16:08 AM »
What is left of it is hairloss in the area where I dyed and sprayed ;). Though it got somewhat better about the last six years. Maybe the skin there has gained some trust in me being good to it again.
This just reminded me.  We have a guy on campus over here who is most commonly known as "Mohawk Guy."  He has a 2 foot long, 8 pronged Mohawk that he dies bright orange.  He's also really active in the church community, I think.  Either way, he's very easy to spot in a crowd.
Feel free to PM.