Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410059 times)

OwlsG0

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #15405 on: May 09, 2016, 05:21:22 PM »
Here is a bit of a public service announcement for everyone:

Please stop referring to table salt as "sodium".
Seriously. It really irks me... Table salt is Sodium Chloride (NaCl), NOT SODIUM!!  >:( If you were to eat sodium, you would literally burn. Sodium releases a massive amount of energy (fire!) when put in water.

My teacher called salt sodium today and I spent the rest of the class dying inside.  :-\

Science geek problems, right? One time my Math teacher said that E=mc^2 was the most fundamental equation in Maths and I nearly leapt out of my chair yelling "THAT'S PHYSICS YOU UNEDUCATED WALNUT"
I don't know why I thought it was appropriate to call my teacher a walnut
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Mostly lurking these days
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #15406 on: May 09, 2016, 05:26:32 PM »

Please stop referring to table salt as "sodium".
Seriously. It really irks me... Table salt is Sodium Chloride (NaCl), NOT SODIUM!!  >:( If you were to eat sodium, you would literally burn. Sodium releases a massive amount of energy (fire!) when put in water.

My teacher called salt sodium today and I spent the rest of the class dying inside.  :-\
Well, it's not your fault if people go to a science-themed restaurant and ask for sodium and get actual sodium, now is it?  >:D
*coughs* Sorry.
Your teacher called salt sodium? Hopefully they aren't a science teacher... seriously.  >:(
And Owl... uneducated walnut.  ;D Best insult ever.
Avatar by the amazing and wonderful ginger ^-^ :chap11: :chap12: :chap13:
Fluent :usa:, Learning in school :spain:

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
  • Intermediate apprentice of webpage wizardry
« Reply #15407 on: May 09, 2016, 05:35:49 PM »
Science geek problems, right? One time my Math teacher said that E=mc^2 was the most fundamental equation in Maths and I nearly leapt out of my chair yelling "THAT'S PHYSICS YOU UNEDUCATED WALNUT"
uneducated walnut.  ;D Best insult ever.
We should totally found an Uneducated Walnut award for the worst teachers... hey, actors already have the Golden Rapsberry! :D
Native :hungary: | Fluent :uk: | Fading :germany:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #15408 on: May 09, 2016, 05:36:15 PM »

Mind if I use that in arguing? It sounds hilarious to call someone that.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #15409 on: May 09, 2016, 05:40:31 PM »
But ??? is not a winky face. It's a face with one single raised eyebrow, which is a classical way to express confusion in cartoons.
If people are bothered by it, I don't mind it being changed. I rarely use the smileys and can do without all of them. I just wanted to reassure you that you've NOT been unwillingly winking at people.

Yes that is quite reassuring thank you :3

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

Jethan

• Ranger
  • Lurker and Forum Gamer
« Reply #15410 on: May 09, 2016, 05:45:33 PM »
So I looked around go see if there was a paranormal thread but not any that I saw (that might be another fun one to start) so anyway I have a few weird things that have been going on to talk about.
[...]

:o
Eeeeeeeeeeeek!!!  You need a new home!!!
I can understand seeing a person out of the corner of your eye who isn't there, I do that all the time with my kitty.  If I see something gray and white in a nook, I always think it's the kitty, and it turns out to be some random objects or a plush husky or something.  But everything else is just weird and spooky.   :-\  *Is concerned*

"THAT'S PHYSICS YOU UNEDUCATED WALNUT"
Heh heh.
An innate goofball who wanted to be elegant and composed.  That ain't happening.

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #15411 on: May 09, 2016, 05:55:59 PM »
We should totally found an Uneducated Walnut award for the worst teachers... hey, actors already have the Golden Rapsberry! :D
Like this?  >:D

Edit: Yes, I know. I am an evil devil student. Heheheh.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 05:59:31 PM by Tr »

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
  • Intermediate apprentice of webpage wizardry
« Reply #15412 on: May 09, 2016, 06:00:18 PM »
Precisely. Maybe you can still spice it up with some Comic sans... >:D
« Last Edit: May 09, 2016, 06:03:39 PM by Eriaror »
Native :hungary: | Fluent :uk: | Fading :germany:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #15413 on: May 09, 2016, 06:00:43 PM »

As long as we're talking scientific pet peeves, I have another:

Don't market things as "chemical free"! News flash, everything is made up of chemicals. If it's matter, it's chemicals! So unless you're trying to tell me that something is a vacuum, don't say it's chemical free.

Edit: Yes, I know. I am an evil devil student. Heheheh.
This is perfect, I will use this someday. *saves for future reference*
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #15414 on: May 09, 2016, 07:31:03 PM »
Don't market things as "chemical free"! News flash, everything is made up of chemicals. If it's matter, it's chemicals! So unless you're trying to tell me that something is a vacuum, don't say it's chemical free.

A thousand times yes!!!! I end up yelling at my TV on a regular basis over that one.

Just as bad is "no artificial chemicals". What the heck is an "artificial chemical" when it's at home??

And I always have a laugh at a local coffee place that has a big sign saying "Our Coffee is from Organic Sources". I wouldn't like to see non-organic coffee ;)

I know, I know, there's at least two different definitions of "organic"
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
« Reply #15415 on: May 09, 2016, 07:57:28 PM »
A thousand times yes!!!! I end up yelling at my TV on a regular basis over that one.

Just as bad is "no artificial chemicals". What the heck is an "artificial chemical" when it's at home??

And I always have a laugh at a local coffee place that has a big sign saying "Our Coffee is from Organic Sources". I wouldn't like to see non-organic coffee ;)

I know, I know, there's at least two different definitions of "organic"

For any "organic" food, I always think that! What would non-organic food be!?

Also, Uneducated Walnut award - XD YES! All the yes! I will use this so much... ;D
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Tr

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
« Reply #15416 on: May 09, 2016, 08:07:07 PM »
For any "organic" food, I always think that! What would non-organic food be!?

Also, Uneducated Walnut award - XD YES! All the yes! I will use this so much... ;D
I helped!  ^-^
I think advertisers have figured out they can put "[anything]-free" on their stuff to make it look healthy... artificial chemical-free, additive-free, etc.
I look forward to seeing "arsenic-free" labels on my food, heheh.*

*Joking. Mostly.

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
« Reply #15417 on: May 09, 2016, 08:25:03 PM »
I helped!  ^-^
I think advertisers have figured out they can put "[anything]-free" on their stuff to make it look healthy... artificial chemical-free, additive-free, etc.

*Joking. Mostly.

What I would like to see is either "polonium-free" or "uranium-free".
The thing is, they can't really state that something is totally free of anything because there is always a possibility the there will be at least one particle of it in the product. :P
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #15418 on: May 09, 2016, 08:45:43 PM »
What I would like to see is either "polonium-free" or "uranium-free".
The thing is, they can't really state that something is totally free of anything because there is always a possibility the there will be at least one particle of it in the product. :P

Ahhh but at least in the US, foods labeled as "fat-free" can actually have small amounts of fat in them, as long as it's within a specified limit. I don't know if the same applies to other things foods can be "free" of, though.

Not on your fish, you won't! (the amount of arsenic in fish generally isn't a concern for your average person, though)
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #15419 on: May 09, 2016, 09:29:52 PM »
Ahhh but at least in the US, foods labeled as "fat-free" can actually have small amounts of fat in them, as long as it's within a specified limit. I don't know if the same applies to other things foods can be "free" of, though.

I think there is testing to make sure foods that are "free" of something have under a certain amount of particles of whatever the thing is. So for instance, certified gluten-free foods have to be tested to make sure they contain less than [some number I don't actually know] parts per million of gluten, which is a small enough amount that it won't make someone sick. The problem is, some companies don't test their products as thoroughly as others (as in, they don't test every batch or sufficient batches) but they manage to stick those "gluten free" labels on anyway. (I keep checking to see if there's any positive news on the new "gluten-free" status of cheerios cereals, but it looks like they're still questionable and therefore not okay for me to eat. *sigh*)
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: