Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2410001 times)

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #15390 on: May 06, 2016, 11:39:28 PM »
I think the slow-TV stuff would be interesting to have on in like... the background... did people seriously marathon-watch Hurtigruten with nothing else going on??

Ditto re:background-watching. Sounds like the sort of thing I'd like to have on whhile knitting, heh.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #15391 on: May 07, 2016, 07:47:55 AM »
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #15392 on: May 07, 2016, 01:53:26 PM »
How to know that your brain is thinking in two languages while doing a beta/proof-reading for a friend : "Assaut ? Isn't it a L missing... *Checks* Oh. Not in French. Okay..." ^^°
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #15393 on: May 08, 2016, 09:40:34 AM »
Since it's Mother's Day (in my neck of the woods, at least), I'd like to give a quick message to all the moms here:
Thank you for all that you do. We don't say it often enough, but being a mother is a tough job and an incredibly important one, and we are grateful that you've taken on that challenge. I wish everyone a happy Mother's day (or a happy Sunday, as the case may be)!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

cati

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • ≁❀ | aguacatillo
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her(s)
« Reply #15394 on: May 08, 2016, 10:59:18 AM »
I watched probably about two hour of Saltstraumen broadcast until my interent died yesterday, was surprised how much they filmed of people and the nearby area, and underwater divers and things - clearly a great many cameras and camera-people involved, not just a view of the water! My least favourite part was a landscape shot in which you could hear a dog barking off-camera and they never turned the camera to let you see who the dog was :(

If I had more screenspace than this laptop I'd probably go watch the rest of it alongside the work I'll be doing today.
Native: :uk: :spain:
Can use without dying of self-consciousness: :uk:
Read: :faroe: :norway: Old Icelandic, Old English
Just enough for Eurovision coverage: :sweden:
Guiltily need to get back to studying, please slap me with an appropriate wet fish: :finland: :japan:
Unintended surprising partial osmosis: :estonia: :denmark:

Juniper

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • 달도 차면 기운다
« Reply #15395 on: May 09, 2016, 02:05:53 AM »
The forum does this weird thing where if you put multiple question marks it makes a winky face for some reason, so I keep accidentally winking at everyone when I'm just trying to express extreme confusion D:

Native: :usa:
I guess I'm pretty okay :france: :southkorea:
Learning: :finland: :arableague: :sign:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #15396 on: May 09, 2016, 05:30:12 AM »
The forum does this weird thing where if you put multiple question marks it makes a winky face for some reason, so I keep accidentally winking at everyone when I'm just trying to express extreme confusion D:

yeah, a triple question mark makes the smiley and i have complained about this before, BUT you can turn this off when making a post - beneath the writy part is a plus sign for attachment and other options, one of which is to turn off smileys. like so????????????
you'll know where to find me.

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
  • Intermediate apprentice of webpage wizardry
« Reply #15397 on: May 09, 2016, 07:43:45 AM »
yeah, a triple question mark makes the smiley and i have complained about this before, BUT you can turn this off when making a post - beneath the writy part is a plus sign for attachment and other options, one of which is to turn off smileys. like so????????????
I've been thinking about changing that one's code, but it'd mess up former posts using that smiley... should we do it anyway? ???
Native :hungary: | Fluent :uk: | Fading :germany:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #15398 on: May 09, 2016, 08:49:37 AM »
I've been thinking about changing that one's code, but it'd mess up former posts using that smiley... should we do it anyway? ???
I feel most people have used that particular smiley by accident... I did actually ask once if we could change the code, there were some votes for and some against (including eich himself)((probably in fear of excessive use of question marks))

........ either way it has been a good way to get into a habit of only using two question marks at the time and not fifty. (and if fifty, with lot's of spaces.........)

((PLEASE change the code))

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #15399 on: May 09, 2016, 09:37:35 AM »
I feel most people have used that particular smiley by accident... I did actually ask once if we could change the code, there were some votes for and some against (including eich himself)((probably in fear of excessive use of question marks))

........ either way it has been a good way to get into a habit of only using two question marks at the time and not fifty. (and if fifty, with lot's of spaces.........)

((PLEASE change the code))

What would be a good alternative face for the changed code?
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Haiz

• Tumblr
« Reply #15400 on: May 09, 2016, 09:42:03 AM »
it looks a lot like a similar face on MSN, for which I think the code was... ^o) or something?? oh man nostalgia just punched me in the gut

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #15401 on: May 09, 2016, 09:54:18 AM »
I'm all about the old-school smileys that didn't get translated for you
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Superdark33

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Magnificent Coatl
« Reply #15402 on: May 09, 2016, 09:56:39 AM »

Id say :? Or :-?
Incumbent cutest and prettiest member of the fandom

Currently scheming....

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #15403 on: May 09, 2016, 03:41:28 PM »

But ??? is not a winky face. It's a face with one single raised eyebrow, which is a classical way to express confusion in cartoons.
If people are bothered by it, I don't mind it being changed. I rarely use the smileys and can do without all of them. I just wanted to reassure you that you've NOT been unwillingly winking at people.

Athena

• previously Luth Nightbreeze
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #15404 on: May 09, 2016, 05:12:13 PM »
Here is a bit of a public service announcement for everyone:

Please stop referring to table salt as "sodium".
Seriously. It really irks me... Table salt is Sodium Chloride (NaCl), NOT SODIUM!!  >:( If you were to eat sodium, you would literally burn. Sodium releases a massive amount of energy (fire!) when put in water.

My teacher called salt sodium today and I spent the rest of the class dying inside.  :-\
tired programmer girl with stories in her head and magic in her heart

currently working on a video game/digital novel called Keeper of the Labyrinth<3

avatar from the now-unavailable webcomic Prague Race