Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387695 times)

Helia

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #15345 on: May 04, 2016, 02:07:38 AM »

Also, here's an idea I've been batting around with myself for a while: I've seen fic exchanges, and I've seen art swaps, but would anyone here be interested in a fic-for-art/art-for-fic exchange thread? It could be a fun thing to try - "If you draw this for me, I'll write that for you," or something of that nature.

I'm interested too! Actually I was thinking about a similar idea - kind of an art-fic challenge - an artist and a writer working on the same topic.
native: :hungary:  fluent: :uk:  special: :germany:

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #15346 on: May 04, 2016, 04:46:41 AM »
Interested in the art/fic exchange too!

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #15347 on: May 04, 2016, 05:25:41 AM »
I've done a couple of those before with people who can draw (swapped Haiz a poem for my avatar picture, worked together with Unlos on a couple of pieces for last equinox and solstice that had my poems and her art) but I can't draw. At all. I probably wouldn't be up for it at the moment, both because computer/internet hassles and because entering the two busiest months of my year), but once those are sorted I might try..
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Ragnarok

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • I write things, and I'm okay at that.
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #15348 on: May 04, 2016, 05:50:09 AM »
Also, here's an idea I've been batting around with myself for a while: I've seen fic exchanges, and I've seen art swaps, but would anyone here be interested in a fic-for-art/art-for-fic exchange thread? It could be a fun thing to try - "If you draw this for me, I'll write that for you," or something of that nature.

Done it a couple times with Unlos and a few others, with me writing. Was fun.
Survived: Chapters: :chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:
Books: :book3: :book4:

I wrote a thing. It has consumed my life.

Reigning champion of time spent on this forum.

Unlos

• Tumblr
« Reply #15349 on: May 04, 2016, 06:09:29 AM »
That kind of trade can definitely be recommended:-), (Róisín, I hope to repeat the collaboration with midsummer!)
We could also set something up where a bunch of people write and a bunch of people draw, then switch and the drawers have to draw the writing and the writers have to write the drawing.
As long as it is not mandatory to make the switch, I'll be happy (please don't say I have to write something, it would feel like such a chore)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 06:46:39 AM by Unlos »

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #15350 on: May 04, 2016, 06:59:11 AM »
Come up with a mnemonic for that, dear people who won't stop complaining that you lost your Nine Pies. :D

Space men vote Earth most certifiably jolly (of the) solar universe's notable planets, having many elephants

Boom! ;D
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

OwlsG0

• I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #15351 on: May 04, 2016, 07:28:05 AM »
We could also set something up where a bunch of people write and a bunch of people draw, then switch and the drawers have to draw the writing and the writers have to write the drawing.

That sounds awesome! We'd be like our own prompt-generating machine. I can actually draw alright (thanks to years and years of sweating over notebooks and references, which are on going) but not alright enough that I'd ever subject anyone to my art. Also, I don't have any equipment for drawing on the computer. So I guess I'd have to stick pretty firmly to writing?
Still, it's an exciting idea!
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Lazy8

• DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: Name only
« Reply #15352 on: May 04, 2016, 08:29:48 AM »
I've been considering various ways to do this, and here's what I've come up with so far.

• Free-for-all: Anyone who wants a drawing/fic posts a request, someone volunteers to fill it, and then gives the original poster their request in return.
  • Exchange: Anyone who wants to participate signs up with their requests (writers request art, artists request fics), and a mod assigns them anonymously. Downside is this would require the same number of writers and artists and would also need a mod.
  • Tag: A writer gets on and requests a drawing. Artist volunteers, placeholds and posts the drawing, then requests a fic. Different writer volunteers, placeholds and posts the fic, then requests a drawing. Downside is that this sort of thing could really easily run into a bottleneck.

Thoughts/preferences?
:usa: native
:spain: comes back in an emergency
:vaticancity: rusty
:china: can usually manage to order food
:norway: can hold a basic conversation

:chap5: | :book2: | :book3: | :chap17: :chap18:

Róisín

• Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #15353 on: May 04, 2016, 09:05:19 AM »
Unlos, sounds good to me. Things here should be easing up by Solstice. I always do a lot of gigs in May and early June, (Mediaeval Fair this weekend, English Ale and the big Druid gathering in two weeks, and here in Australia this is the best season for my wild food and fungus foraging workshops, and I'm already pretty much booked out for May and June.) so fun and profit, but not much free time!

But by Solstice things should be slowing down, so I'm up for a collaboration then. I hope I can leave the art to you, since I haven't the skill?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #15354 on: May 04, 2016, 09:08:01 AM »
I've been considering various ways to do this, and here's what I've come up with so far.

• Free-for-all: Anyone who wants a drawing/fic posts a request, someone volunteers to fill it, and then gives the original poster their request in return.
  • Exchange: Anyone who wants to participate signs up with their requests (writers request art, artists request fics), and a mod assigns them anonymously. Downside is this would require the same number of writers and artists and would also need a mod.
  • Tag: A writer gets on and requests a drawing. Artist volunteers, placeholds and posts the drawing, then requests a fic. Different writer volunteers, placeholds and posts the fic, then requests a drawing. Downside is that this sort of thing could really easily run into a bottleneck.

Thoughts/preferences?

I like the Exchange. It doesn't require the same number of writers and artists. You can assign two artists to one writer or vice versa if the numbers are unbalanced (of course, the choice of who gets two artworks would be random, since not everyone would.)

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #15355 on: May 04, 2016, 09:12:28 AM »
*peeks her head in*

I have nothing to add to how we'd get it to work, but I'd like to participate in an art/fic swap if we have one.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #15356 on: May 04, 2016, 09:52:14 AM »

Thoughts/preferences?

They all sound good to me! Also I don't see why you would need a mod for the middle one. You can PM people or post the assignments in the main thread if you choose to run it.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Iceea

• Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #15357 on: May 04, 2016, 09:58:42 AM »
ahh, a small suggestion for a slight variation. Artist makes a drawing, painting, whatever, and requests a fic about the art or using the art as a scene setter. And the opposite, a writer writes a story, poem, song, etc and requests art relating to the written work.
And as
Quote from: Lazy8
And I can write... but my drawing proficiency basically amounts to stick figures.
or in my case worse. 
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

Pupunen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #15358 on: May 04, 2016, 10:20:49 AM »
I'm interested in this exchange too as long as I don't need to draw anything (I have no art skills whatsoever).
Native: :finland:
Fluent: :sweden: :uk:
Good: :italy:
Understand but don't speak: :denmark: :norway:
Basics: :russia: :wales: :iceland: :vaticancity:

:chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15:

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #15359 on: May 04, 2016, 10:22:29 AM »
Space men vote Earth most certifiably jolly (of the) solar universe's notable planets, having many elephants

Boom! ;D

You just need a clever song, like "The Story of the Planets" as found on Journey to the Moon  (I got this album when 6 or so, possibly earlier.  It explains a LOT about my childhood!)
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy: