Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2387741 times)

SectoBoss

• Ranger
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #15315 on: May 03, 2016, 06:13:56 AM »
Who likes dinosaurs? https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/992645470/beasts-of-the-mesozoic-raptor-series-action-figure

I don't care how accurate it is, a feathered velociraptor just looks so surreal to someone who grew up on Jurassic Park and Walking with Dinosaurs.
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

OwlsG0

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • I am occasionally scared by my own hair.
  • Preferred pronouns: She/She?/Human?/ Gender?
« Reply #15316 on: May 03, 2016, 07:07:57 AM »
I don't care how accurate it is, a feathered velociraptor just looks so surreal to someone who grew up on Jurassic Park and Walking with Dinosaurs.

Hear hear. I like my raptors smooth and shiny and opening doors like clever girls. This feathered stuff looks more fantastical than the inaccurate stuff in the aforementioned movie and series.
I saw the future.
We are not doomed, because our Cat overlords are benevolent leaders :3

:chap11: :book2:  :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #15317 on: May 03, 2016, 07:16:19 AM »
*shrug*

I grew up on dinosaurs from *before* Jurassic Park; Jurassic Park changed many things and was considered a major improvement at the time — as a kid I had a plastic brontosaurus with *carnivore teeth*. I adapted to the changes that came as science kept reshaping the image of dinosaurs. I think feathered theropods are *hella cool*.

*just lost ten minutes reading dinosaur-related articles on wikipedia before remembering that I was in the process of typing this post*
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #15318 on: May 03, 2016, 08:41:30 AM »
I grew up on dinosaurs from *before* Jurassic Park; Jurassic Park changed many things and was considered a major improvement at the time — as a kid I had a plastic brontosaurus with *carnivore teeth*. I adapted to the changes that came as science kept reshaping the image of dinosaurs. I think feathered theropods are *hella cool*.

Same here. Live long enough and you start rolling with the paleontological punches!
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #15319 on: May 03, 2016, 09:00:58 AM »
TEAM FEATHERED THEROPODS
you'll know where to find me.

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #15320 on: May 03, 2016, 10:12:59 AM »
My grandad once gave me an encyclopaedia of dinosaurs that he'd owned back in about the 1950s or something like that and it was great seeing how everyone used to think they looked. "Lumbering" seemed to be the prevailing consensus for a long while, by the looks of it...

TEAM FEATHERED THEROPODS
Why am I not surprised? :D
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #15321 on: May 03, 2016, 10:34:05 AM »
Yeah, compared to the slow, scaly, stupid lizards of my youth, dinosaurs today are MUCH niftier.

Science. Is. Cool.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #15322 on: May 03, 2016, 11:48:03 AM »
I have a job interview this afternoon *buzzes around nervously*
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #15323 on: May 03, 2016, 11:56:41 AM »

That's great! Good luck /o/ Knock 'em dead! (Not literally tho')
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #15324 on: May 03, 2016, 12:07:52 PM »

Good luck! You'll do great!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Kiraly

• Tumblr
  • SSSSinnamon roll
  • Preferred pronouns: she, her, etc.
« Reply #15325 on: May 03, 2016, 12:24:21 PM »
Good luck! I'm sure you'll do great. :)

Also, those dinosaurs are so cool! Now I want to go hang out at the natural history museum with the fossils.
Languages: :usa: (native) :mexico: (conversational but out of practice) :germany: (attempting to learn)
Survivor: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16::chap17::chap18::chap19::chap20::chap21:

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #15326 on: May 03, 2016, 12:52:27 PM »
Also, it's funny how Jurassic Park basically made raptors a Thing; before that, popular depictions of carnivorous dinosaurs were almost always a t-rex attacking a triceratops, a brontosaurus, an ankylosaurus or an iguanodon, and only dinosaur-geeks like me knew about baryonix, deinonychus, oviraptors, troodons or dilophosaurus </rambling>
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Iceea

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her/hers
« Reply #15327 on: May 03, 2016, 04:26:35 PM »
My grandad once gave me an encyclopaedia of dinosaurs that he'd owned back in about the 1950s or something like that and it was great seeing how everyone used to think they looked. "Lumbering" seemed to be the prevailing consensus for a long while, by the looks of it...
Why am I not surprised? :D

And then there's the famous story about the Brontosaurus wearing the wrong heads. Back in the 19th century when dinosaur hunting was first becoming a big deal a number of people made careers and became famous by always finding the best fossils. It seems a gentleman by the name of Marsh found a very complete skeleton except for the head so he put a different head on it and voila! He was such a figure that even when the correct head was found with a skeleton it couldn't be used because it wasn't like Marsh's head. It wasn't until the 70's that a couple of other scientists did the research and showed it was wrong. So museums quietly began changing heads. And then in the 80's they tried to do away with the Bront all together. Saying it was a mis-named sub species of something else. That has turned around now and the Brontosaurus is back. Isn't science wonderful.

I hope the job interview went well Feartheviolas. I'm sure you were just fine. 
« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 04:29:27 PM by Iceea »
:usa: obviously :france: too many yrs ago
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: & :book2:

You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it!
Robin Williams

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #15328 on: May 03, 2016, 05:34:05 PM »
Thank you all for your well wishes. I think it went well? I find out later this week.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #15329 on: May 03, 2016, 06:43:11 PM »
aRE WE TALKING ABOUT DINOSAURS BECAUSE I HAVE THINGS TO SAY
OK SO. Velociraptors were actually about turkey-sized (sorry), but this means that they could possibly FLY A LITTLE BIT, like chickens can, and they also used their wings for stability while eating their prey alive. Also Tyrannosaurs probably had little fluffy downy feathers all over, and were significantly tubbier than people used to think, which is an Excellent and Adorable development. And just generally these murderturkeys were pretty great.
*steps down from soapbox*

And, uh, good luck on getting the job, Vi!
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05: