Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2411457 times)

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #14880 on: April 05, 2016, 03:30:31 PM »
Two weeks ago I bake cinnamon buns and let around twenty of them to my housemates. Guess what I found in a box today ?
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #14881 on: April 05, 2016, 03:42:47 PM »
Two weeks ago I bake cinnamon buns and let around twenty of them to my housemates. Guess what I found in a box today ?

My second guess would be cinnamon buns, but at first all I could think of was the "what's in the box!?" scene from the movie Seven... :))
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #14882 on: April 05, 2016, 03:43:50 PM »
My second guess would be cinnamon buns, but at first all I could think of was the "what's in the box!?" scene from the movie Seven... :))

D:

That is horrible

At least we can be sure that whatever Melu found was not that. ;p
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Mélusine

« Reply #14883 on: April 05, 2016, 03:53:33 PM »
And now I assume it's a good thing I haven't seen Seven ::)

But I'm truly wondering why I try to be a good housemate and gave some to them if it's for discovering cinnamon buns are still here. All of them. (Because a lack of potatoes/cheese/beer/sausage in the recipe, maybe... *Sighs*)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

SectoBoss

• Ranger
« Reply #14884 on: April 05, 2016, 03:59:50 PM »

But I'm truly wondering why I try to be a good housemate and gave some to them if it's for discovering cinnamon buns are still here. All of them. (Because a lack of potatoes/cheese/beer/sausage in the recipe, maybe... *Sighs*)

Well, I'd certainly recommend it if you haven't seen it but it might not be to everyone's taste, being a thriller about the hunt for a seven-deadly-sins-themed serial killer.
And wait, what, they didn't eat any of them? I though you meant they'd given you more cinnamon buns back!
Native: :uk:  Remembers dregs: :france: :vaticancity:  Learning (slowly): :sweden:
Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
Proud owner of a Haizvatar
I write a bit on AO3

Yuuago

• Tumblr
« Reply #14885 on: April 05, 2016, 04:03:36 PM »

Yyyyeah, it isn't exactly one I would recommend to you. ;p

Okay, clearly I need to come over to your place and eat ALL your cinnamon buns. And then you can roll me out the door.

Mélusine

« Reply #14886 on: April 05, 2016, 04:14:04 PM »
Well, I'd certainly recommend it if you haven't seen it but it might not be to everyone's taste, being a thriller about the hunt for a seven-deadly-sins-themed serial killer.
Iiiiiiii'm not sure it's a movie for me... (Especially if Yuu agrees ^^)
But I'm "late" for a lot of movies my generation is supposed to know. Too many time in books, and when I began to go out (late too, because I'm 1. the eldest 2. a girl 3. my parents are my parents), I had a strong preference for theater than movies... So I'm used to hear "WHAT ? You have never seen (insert a title here) ?!?" ::)

And wait, what, they didn't eat any of them? I though you meant they'd given you more cinnamon buns back!
They didn't eat any of them.

Okay, clearly I need to come over to your place and eat ALL your cinnamon buns. And then you can roll me out the door.
Warn me before, I'll bake you fresh cinnamon buns, they'll be better ;)

Yuuago

• Tumblr
« Reply #14887 on: April 05, 2016, 04:21:10 PM »
But I'm "late" for a lot of movies my generation is supposed to know. Too many time in books, and when I began to go out (late too, because I'm 1. the eldest 2. a girl 3. my parents are my parents), I had a strong preference for theater than movies... So I'm used to hear "WHAT ? You have never seen (insert a title here) ?!?" ::)

I'm "late" in a similar way... there's so much stuff I haven't seen, largely because my parents were very strict when it came to movies/television. I'm trying to play catch-up now, because I love film, but I still get a lot of "WHAT, you haven't seen such-and-such?" Even (or especially?) when it comes to things my generation is "supposed" to have seen.

And it's just... there is around 100 years of cinema out there, of course there's a lot that I haven't watched!

(Also, okayyyy, I will be sure to inform you in advance, of course fresh cinnamon buns are best ;p)

KicknRun

• Ranger
  • excitable hatred
  • Preferred pronouns: he/her
« Reply #14888 on: April 05, 2016, 04:27:47 PM »
So I'm used to hear "WHAT ? You have never seen (insert a title here) ?!?" ::)
They didn't eat any of them.

Same honestly.

"what do you mean you've never watched star wars?"

"I mean I've never watched star wars."

One time my class was watching Back to the Future, which I have also never watched before, but instead of dipping into this pool of social enlightenment, I'm pretty sure I sat in the back of the class and wrote fanfiction.

Haven't watched Monty Python or the Princess Bride either.

:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11:
SSSSoulcount:0

Icon drawn by Piney

Mélusine

« Reply #14889 on: April 05, 2016, 04:49:55 PM »
I'm "late" in a similar way... there's so much stuff I haven't seen, largely because my parents were very strict when it came to movies/television. I'm trying to play catch-up now, because I love film, but I still get a lot of "WHAT, you haven't seen such-and-such?" Even (or especially?) when it comes to things my generation is "supposed" to have seen.

And it's just... there is around 100 years of cinema out there, of course there's a lot that I haven't watched!

(Also, okayyyy, I will be sure to inform you in advance, of course fresh cinnamon buns are best ;p)
My parents were very strict too. So, it's the same for cartoons-you're-supposed-to-have-been-watching-when-you-were-a-child. My housemate try to make me discover what I have "missed". I'm not always sure I have missed a lot. :P
(Perfect. And then, I'll kidnap you and we'll go to a Sigur Rós's concert ^^)

KicknRun, I was an "old" teenager when I saw Back to the Future, same for Monty Python, and I never saw Princess Bride, I read it instead. But Star Wars was a HUGE discovery with the Episode I and because my parents disliked science-fiction my godfather made me saw the "old" movies :) (Best idea at this moment of my life.) Some of my friends had promised to make me sit and see Moulin Rouge so many times. And so many other movies...

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #14890 on: April 05, 2016, 06:26:35 PM »
I've watched next to no Disney, because I wasn't very interested in either TV/movies or princesses/girly stuff (like I was specifically disinterested and thought it was a super unfair societal expectation) at the age those are aimed at
Haven't watched Monty Python or the Princess Bride either.
The Princess Bride is one of my favourite movies -- I'd highly recommend it (and the book is pretty good too). It's one of those ones that you can watch over and over again until you know the whole script. Also, the new Star Wars is THE BEST THING but the others are kinda meh in comparison, and you could totally just read the plot synopsis for episodes 4-6 on Wikipedia and then watch the new one. ;)
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #14891 on: April 05, 2016, 06:58:11 PM »
I was raised by geek parents, so I ended up seeing most of the classic movie staples (at least, in the sci-fi and fantasy genres) at a young age. I also loved Disney, but Mulan was the only princess movie (Lilo and Stitch remains my favorite Disney movie).

Also, the new Star Wars is THE BEST THING but the others are kinda meh in comparison, and you could totally just read the plot synopsis for episodes 4-6 on Wikipedia and then watch the new one. ;)

I'd have to disagree with you there. The new movie was indeed awesome, but part of what makes it awesome (at least, for me) was the way it harkened back to the original trilogy, thematically and with little in-jokes and such. A synopsis of those movies would certainly get you caught up enough to enjoy the plot of the new one, but you'd probably miss all that awesome little stuff. (I'm a fan of the original trilogy for itself, anyway, but I respect your opinion :) )

Also, Monty Python is the best and also hilarious. I didn't watch the Princess Bride until last year, but it was likewise awesome!

Sidenote for Back to the Future: at this point, even the "future" parts of the movie take place in the past :P
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #14892 on: April 05, 2016, 07:45:46 PM »
And this is where my age shows.  Of course I've watched Monty Python, and I've seen them live (twice -- the first time in 1976!).  And the original theatrical release of Star Wars (in fact, all of the above-mentioned movies in the cinema).

I feel ooooold

Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Noodles

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #14893 on: April 05, 2016, 08:58:18 PM »
The new movie was indeed awesome, but part of what makes it awesome (at least, for me) was the way it hearkened back to the original trilogy, thematically and with little in-jokes and such. A synopsis of those movies would certainly get you caught up enough to enjoy the plot of the new one, but you'd probably miss all that awesome little stuff. (I'm a fan of the original trilogy for itself, anyway, but I respect your opinion :) )
No, yeah, I'm with you, it's better with the Easter eggs, I'm just not sure if it's 6-hours'-time-investment better, if you're not super invested. :P
And I do like the Original Trilogy (LEIA!), but it's not my Absolute Favourite Ever.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #14894 on: April 05, 2016, 09:32:39 PM »
No, yeah, I'm with you, it's better with the Easter eggs, I'm just not sure if it's 6-hours'-time-investment better, if you're not super invested. :P
And I do like the Original Trilogy (LEIA!), but it's not my Absolute Favourite Ever.

Yeah, very good point there. If you have the time to invest, watch 'em, but if not, my roommate has only seen the new one and she very much enjoyed it, so really. Any amount of Star Wars you want/have time for. Go for it.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!