Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2409144 times)

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1485 on: November 15, 2014, 02:35:26 PM »
Completely off topic, but it's a little after 2 PM and I just woke up. I think that's a new record. Serves me right for being up past two the last few nights, I guess.

Oh, right, you people can sleep in on Saturdays... I'm so jealous right now...
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Clayres

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Been back for a while now, I should change this :P
« Reply #1486 on: November 15, 2014, 02:47:01 PM »
Completely off topic, but it's a little after 2 PM and I just woke up. I think that's a new record. Serves me right for being up past two the last few nights, I guess.
Hehe same here (apart from the fact that I was actually awake earlier, filled my brain with tons of ideas, got tired again, turned over and continued sleeping, only to wake up and think "that went so NOT as planned...")
kind of getting along: :germany: :uk:

rusty: :spain:

very rusty: :vaticancity:

still trying (appearantly failing) to learn: :japan:

Piney

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1487 on: November 15, 2014, 03:11:33 PM »
Oh, right, you people can sleep in on Saturdays... I'm so jealous right now...

Yes. Be jealous. 8)
(Actually some people do have class on Saturdays. And work on Saturdays. Luckily I'm neither of them.)

Hehe same here (apart from the fact that I was actually awake earlier, filled my brain with tons of ideas, got tired again, turned over and continued sleeping, only to wake up and think "that went so NOT as planned...")

I was sorta conscious a couple times this morning (or was it morning?), enough to remember changing my sleeping position. Other than my back hurting a little from changing sleeping positions, I feel really good and rested. If only I didn't have stuff to do today.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

hushpiper

• Slayer of Silence
  • Scout
    • Tumblr
  • steam engenius, you see
« Reply #1488 on: November 15, 2014, 07:03:40 PM »
We don't have "drill sergeants" like you'd see in the US marine corps. Norwegian officers don't really call people names, their evil is on a whole different and a lot more subtle level.

Okay, this I am curious about actually. I have a lot of friends/family in the US military (mainly national guard, a few in the air force), so I'm ~relatively~ familiar with the culture through them. But I have no idea how the military culture in other countries might be different from what we've got in the US. Have ye any input upon this matter? Alternatively, I'd be fascinated to hear your perspective on Norwegian military culture in general.

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1489 on: November 16, 2014, 05:02:33 PM »
Awah, the whole gully's electricity has been turned off for the whole day for power-line maintenance :(
It's only 9am and already my dumb phone's battery has tricked down to 54% >:(
*watches flashback of all the good times spent with my old flip samsung and Nokia.....good times...not spent attached to a charger chord all day....*
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Nimphy

« Reply #1490 on: November 16, 2014, 05:07:05 PM »
Awah, the whole gully's electricity has been turned off for the whole day for power-line maintenance :(
It's only 9am and already my dumb phone's battery has tricked down to 54% >:(
*watches flashback of all the good times spent with my old flip samsung and Nokia.....good times...not spent attached to a charger chord all day....*

I feel you! I want my old Nokia back so badly! It would never break, no matter what sort of phone-torture I put it through, and didn't need so much charge!

Hehe... My poor little phone... I still remember its last day...

Mom&Dad: [name]! We've got a surprise for you! A smartphone!
Me: But... But this one is fine... Couldn't you have bought me some books and videogames with that money?    >:(

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

OrigamiOwl

« Reply #1491 on: November 16, 2014, 05:15:11 PM »
I feel you! I want my old Nokia back so badly! It would never break, no matter what sort of phone-torture I put it through, and didn't need so much charge!

Me: But... But this one is fine... Couldn't you have bought me some books and videogames with that money?    >:(

Yeah.... *sigh* mine would fall apart when it fell out of my pocket if I was running, and I'd just reassemble it and turn it back on......ah memories.....and snake! Snake was fun.....
My iPhone is actually pretty durable surprisingly... It's been dropped at speed, thrown at things in frustration when it freezes up, thrown a lot in general, lost outside, soaked..... But its endurance....nope....
:artd: :book1+: :book2:
:chap11::chap12::chap13::chap14::chap15::chap16:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #1492 on: November 16, 2014, 05:48:34 PM »

Haha I almost had the same thing happen to me, but luckily my mom asked first. I now still have my little flip phone while my sisters have smartphones, but I have gained an iPod touch, which I actually wanted. It was a good compromise because I could then keep my trusty flip phone but also replace my old iPod nano that couldn't hold a charge anymore. It was a win-win  8)

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1493 on: November 16, 2014, 06:50:19 PM »
But you will be nice with us, won't you, ma'am? (And you almost look like you're speaking from personal experience...)
Like I said it's chief sir master petty sergeant major unfair destruction corporal punishment. You know the drill. Get down and get conjugatin'

Okay, this I am curious about actually. I have a lot of friends/family in the US military (mainly national guard, a few in the air force), so I'm ~relatively~ familiar with the culture through them. But I have no idea how the military culture in other countries might be different from what we've got in the US. Have ye any input upon this matter? Alternatively, I'd be fascinated to hear your perspective on Norwegian military culture in general.
I've never actually been enrolled long-term in the military so I can't easily answer that question. I have a close outsiders perspective really since we are a military family. Since we don't have local relatives most of our guests are my dad's officer colleagues and their kin. Also I went to a military kindergarten, as in a kindergarten located in a military base for the children of military personel. Nowadays I train in a military gym on said base.
My impression is that military culture is dependent on level. Conscripts are by definition rowdy. The officers get progressively more serious and demanding the higher their ranks, until you get to people like my dad and his officer friends who go nuclear if their colleagues aren't perfectly organised and mission-minded (he had mixed opinions about working with the Italian navy in Somalia). But really, I think the best way to learn about this would be to watch this documentary. It sees the operations in Afghanistan from different perspectives (rowdy conscripts and mission-minded officers alike).
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 07:16:36 PM by Fimbulvarg »

Noah O.

• Scout
  • History Geek
« Reply #1494 on: November 16, 2014, 07:49:14 PM »

My impression is that military culture is dependent on level. Conscripts are by definition rowdy. The officers get progressively more serious and demanding the higher their ranks, until you get to people like my dad and his officer friends who go nuclear if their colleagues aren't perfectly organised and mission-minded (he had mixed opinions about working with the Italian navy in Somalia). But really, I think the best way to learn about this would be to watch this documentary. It sees the operations in Afghanistan from different perspectives (rowdy conscripts and mission-minded officers alike).
Y'know that guys in Afghanistan aren't conscripted, right?

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #1495 on: November 17, 2014, 06:44:33 AM »
We actually had less activity this weekend than we had on Thursday.  There were still lots of people online, but nobody was posting.  Unusual.
Feel free to PM.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1496 on: November 17, 2014, 07:45:45 AM »
Y'know that guys in Afghanistan aren't conscripted, right?
A big lot of them are former conscripts with extended contracts.

We actually had less activity this weekend than we had on Thursday.  There were still lots of people online, but nobody was posting.  Unusual.
I saw 7 guests earlier who were all viewing the drinking game thread, that's kind of weird. Also, I think those bio-cods actually took out ThisCat. That, and Kex has been gone over the weekend. I've got an exam on wednesday so I shouldn't even be here. At least the three playas (nimphy, clayres and piney) are keeping it lively.

What I think is unusual though is that when the two of us have the same amount of posts the forum still puts me over you on the statsboard, even though E precedes F. The forum knows who the top dogs are (glad it's not based on height =P).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 08:13:02 AM by Fimbulvarg »

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #1497 on: November 17, 2014, 08:11:02 AM »

I've noticed that for some reason, though people would presumably have more time on weekends, they post less.

What I think is unusual though is that when the two of us have the same amount of posts the forum still puts me over you on the statsboard, even though E precedes F. The forum knows who the top dogs are (glad it's not based on height =P).

Sadly, by enlightening us of this fact, you've also increased your post count by one, which means I can no longer observe this phenomenon. That is weird, though. Maybe the forum has some sort of arbitrary ranking system that takes into account things like...uh...well, things other than post counts.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #1498 on: November 17, 2014, 08:17:22 AM »
Sadly, by enlightening us of this fact, you've also increased your post count by one, which means I can no longer observe this phenomenon. That is weird, though. Maybe the forum has some sort of arbitrary ranking system that takes into account things like...uh...well, things other than post counts.
Eich will have to get back here and make a post two posts. I don't know why the forum does it, after all Eich is member #1. I'm like #8 or something.

Nimphy

« Reply #1499 on: November 17, 2014, 10:50:14 AM »
Sooo, I just finished my first theatre "lesson". I skipped Mathematic Games Preparation just so I could attend it (such a sacrifice, huh?). When I got there I was almost sure I'd got it wrong, because everyone looked like they were on their fifth year, so I did the only logical thing and went into hiding. I mostly lurked around with an acquaintance of mine for a while, until the lesson begun. The director told us newbies a few things, complained for a good while about some guys leaving the group, and we had some pretty hilarious scenes.

Director: So let's see... You. I know you. You I know, you I know, you... Do I know you?
You1: nope
Director: Okay, so you I know, you I don't know...
You2: I've been here for three years!

A while later, we were asked to say our names, and the newbies should also tell if they had ever done theatre before

Director: You?
You1: [Name], and nope, never done anything before
Director: You?
You2: (same one as above) [Name]
Director: Ever done theatre before?
You2: *evil glare*

Then for some reason he left us with an hour still to go, and the older ones decided we would be playing bowling with giant rubber balls and people. Someone yelled that it was autogestione (basically when students do lessons by themselves). Someone else encouraged "Otello" (which happened to be You2) to catch all the balls thrown at him, and he did. Someone managed to hit me in the face. Then we newbies asked the veterans to play something for us, and the dialogue went more or less like "Yes, let us show the newbies something!" "What are we going to show them, we've lost half our crew! Are you gonna take all the male roles by yourself?" "Yes!" It was all very weird and funny.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2014, 10:53:02 AM by Nimphy »