Author Topic: General Discussion Thread  (Read 2424485 times)

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
Re: General Discussion Thread
« Reply #9990 on: September 02, 2015, 08:00:33 PM »
I plan to wear my Lalli costume on Halloween for exactly two reasons. 1. Because I like it, and 2. So that people ask me who it is and I get to introduce them to SSSS ^-^

Excellent idea! Also reason 3: You will look awesome!
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

starfallz

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #9991 on: September 02, 2015, 08:06:17 PM »
I plan to wear my Lalli costume on Halloween for exactly two reasons. 1. Because I like it, and 2. So that people ask me who it is and I get to introduce them to SSSS ^-^

Make little business cards to hand out with the URL and some pretty art. :D
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

viola

• Hel
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
  • Preferred pronouns: no preference
« Reply #9992 on: September 02, 2015, 08:07:11 PM »
So they're having a light show at the parliament building tonight and I think I'm gonna go. Venture out all by myself. Maybe make some friends. See some pretty lights. Hopefully not die.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Surviving since: :chap7:

Forum Rules | Important Information | Help

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #9993 on: September 02, 2015, 09:30:26 PM »
Ok so the show got cancelled due to a thunderstorm but I made new friends and they're from Italy, Russia, and Albania.
everyday: :gb: :fr: (:ca:) | can do: :is: | somewhat: :dk: :se: :no: :de: | lil bit: :lb: :np: | currently learning: :sgn:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #9994 on: September 02, 2015, 09:43:12 PM »
So they're having a light show at the parliament building tonight and I think I'm gonna go. Venture out all by myself. Maybe make some friends. See some pretty lights. Hopefully not die.

Ok so the show got cancelled due to a thunderstorm but I made new friends and they're from Italy, Russia, and Albania.

Good for you!!  Tuuri and Reynir in particular would be proud of you and very envious.  Imagine, being able to go out on your own (not supervised by overprotective relatives) and meet people from all over the world! 
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

viola

• Hel
  • I AM VENOM GROOT
« Reply #9995 on: September 03, 2015, 11:03:44 AM »
As previously discussed, posts from this thread pertaining to the 1st anniversary of the forum have been moved here

misea

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • perpetually sleepy night owl
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/their
« Reply #9996 on: September 03, 2015, 11:31:32 AM »
Downside to me living in a single dorm this year: no roommate to convert into a Minnion.

I know right T_T
native :usa: | decent :france: | speak :china: | learning :spain: :italy: :sweden: :norway: :ireland: | wishlist: :finland: all

:chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :hat: :betterhat: :chap9:

courtesy of wolfie's magical intrnt skillz

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #9997 on: September 03, 2015, 12:08:24 PM »
today's achievements:
- smiling and waving back to a street beggar (he got really happy ok)
- FINALLY buying postcards
- reading!! a whole chapter!!! of school stuff!!!
- looking too young for the political propaganda people to bother me

botched achievements:
- giving up at the circular labyrinth they've painted onto the ground around the Olav Tryggvason statue (not sure if it's a functional labyrinth??)
- didn't have a snarky answer ready when some church people on the street asked if I ever wanted someone to discuss the Meaning of Life with
you'll know where to find me.

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #9998 on: September 03, 2015, 01:07:57 PM »
- didn't have a snarky answer ready when some church people on the street asked if I ever wanted someone to discuss the Meaning of Life with

Easy. "Sure, what do you want to know?"

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #9999 on: September 03, 2015, 01:19:45 PM »
today's achievements:
- smiling and waving back to a street beggar (he got really happy ok)
- FINALLY buying postcards
- reading!! a whole chapter!!! of school stuff!!!
- looking too young for the political propaganda people to bother me

botched achievements:
- giving up at the circular labyrinth they've painted onto the ground around the Olav Tryggvason statue (not sure if it's a functional labyrinth??)

Congrats on the achies, mainly for buying postcards and reading school stuff!

(also kinda glad you didn't have a snarky answer for church people, the hardest thing I've done was gifting off New Testaments and that in itself was incredibly awkward and there were people refusing rudely so I personally would not like to have someone snark back at me ;_; So naturally I'm assuming they feel the same)
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #10000 on: September 03, 2015, 01:57:04 PM »

Congrats on the achies, mainly for buying postcards and reading school stuff!

(also kinda glad you didn't have a snarky answer for church people, the hardest thing I've done was gifting off New Testaments and that in itself was incredibly awkward and there were people refusing rudely so I personally would not like to have someone snark back at me ;_; So naturally I'm assuming they feel the same)
Yeeeah, being rude to people for trying to share what they believe, or show you who they are... That's not nice at all.  I still do similar stuff too, out of ignorance or whatever, I don't know, but I do try to avoid it.
Feel free to PM.

Nimphy

« Reply #10001 on: September 03, 2015, 02:07:24 PM »
Yeeeah, being rude to people for trying to share what they believe, or show you who they are... That's not nice at all.  I still do similar stuff too, out of ignorance or whatever, I don't know, but I do try to avoid it.

Yeaah. I try to avoid it too, but sometimes fail. Like, I was about to congratulate you on being able to avoid the political propaganda people, but I realized that could be offensive since they are truly trying to do something good for their country, even though some like you and me may not appreciate what they do. So I redacted that :x

Also, on completely unrelated news, I'm pretty sure my mother gave up on trying to get me to become a "decent lady" and accepted my nerdy nature.

Me: "Mom, you remember those white trousers? The ones you wanted to throw away because I never wore them?"
Mom: *hopeful* "Yes?"
Me: "You still have them?"
Mom: *more hopeful* "Why?"
Me: "I need them for cosplay."
Mom: "....Oh. *sigh* They're still somewhere in the house -_-"

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #10002 on: September 03, 2015, 02:17:26 PM »
ah noo I wouldn't have been trampling on their beliefs or anything, I hope you know I'm not that cruel. I'm just. really really bitter at people who want to shove ~*the Meaning of Life*~ on me because it's always 1) Fall in Tru Love, 2) HAVE KIDS AND FAMILY, or 3) act nice so u can go to heaven

and maybe that's not their fault, but they did stop a person with earplugs on their way to catch a bus.........  makes me wanna snark. It's always old people, and I've been nothing but respectful when some religious branch or other try to push their actual brainwash zines on me and I refuse, but they scoff and snark at me all "I suppose today's youth do not appreciate wisdom!" and stuff..........

Yeaah. I try to avoid it too, but sometimes fail. Like, I was about to congratulate you on being able to avoid the political propaganda people, but I realized that could be offensive since they are truly trying to do something good for their country, even though some like you and me may not appreciate what they do. So I redacted that :x
oh that's right, I forgot to mention it's voting season here in norway. me not avoiding them would be leeching on all the free candy and completely ignore whatever they say, so that would be even less respectful hahahahaha
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 02:50:33 PM by Haiz »
you'll know where to find me.

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #10003 on: September 03, 2015, 02:34:37 PM »

It's interesting how there seems to be a double standard held by certain people in this respect. For instance: I've heard many religious people say that gay couples holding hands on the street is "shoving their sexuality in our faces". But literally shoving Bibles in people's faces in the street is somehow ok for those same people. Interesting.

I think it's fair to match your response to the person's attitude: if they are discreet about their religion (don't convert people, maybe only mention it if asked) be discreet about your different belief/lack of it. If they're invasive about it, you get to be a bit rude. Now I don't actually do this irl most of the time because I do like to be nice if I can (shocking, I know), but I don't blame people who do.

Nimphy

« Reply #10004 on: September 03, 2015, 02:51:02 PM »
It's interesting how there seems to be a double standard held by certain people in this respect. For instance: I've heard many religious people say that gay couples holding hands on the street is "shoving their sexuality in our faces". But literally shoving Bibles in people's faces in the street is somehow ok for those same people. Interesting.

I think it's fair to match your response to the person's attitude: if they are discreet about their religion (don't convert people, maybe only mention it if asked) be discreet about your different belief/lack of it. If they're invasive about it, you get to be a bit rude. Now I don't actually do this irl most of the time because I do like to be nice if I can (shocking, I know), but I don't blame people who do.

Hmm, I don't really agree that gay couples holding hands is "shoving sexuality into our faces". Maybe I may not agree with homosexuality, but unless it starts to be invasive (like for example saying bad stuff about het people or maybe being rude and pressing when someone says they're not comfortable about open displays of homosexuality, but I honestly have yet to personally talk with any of the two kinds). When "shoving Bibles into people's faces", I don't think anyone can be forceful and rude (because if they are, they are being a very bad example of Christianity).

Also, if by "invasive" you mean converting, well, just saying that we truly intend for the best. No one is forcing you, but I personally have discovered a great joy in God, so I naturally would like to share it with other people. If someone is rude because of that, that would hurt me. And yes, the same could happen with gay people. If someone is rude they will get hurt, because they are people. I think respect is the most important thing, and trying to see the intentions behind people's actions is fundamental.

Then again, this is beginning to tread into uncomfortable territory I think, so it may be safer to change discussion?