Author Topic: Wiki discussion  (Read 53277 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: Wiki discussion
« Reply #75 on: September 23, 2014, 03:00:53 PM »
Oh, yeah, nope. I don't see why should we modify the comic itself, and it's not our decision to make.
OK, it's replaced now. Page 117 had a no-bubble view of landscape with Swedish flags. That leaves Norway as the only country with no readily recognizable symbol available from the comic yet. (Iceland and, interestingly enough, Finland had maps matching their pre-Rash outlines, and Mora and the Öresundsbro base had panoramic views with flying colors.)

was it you writing the cities pages? I'm pretty sure it was you.
I wrote a number of pages for cities, but it was someone else inserting lists of all known settlements with (Red)links into the country pages.

Errr... Don't think so, but whatever. Do as you like, as long as they don't remain redlinks forever.
One of the advantages of having them hang around and be listed as Redlinks is that you can easily find out which pages have such a Redlink on them - and, say, relink to a "List of Boringhams" page if they don't get "fixed" in a timely manner. ;)

Most of the information on settlements the protagonists haven't been to yet is drawn from the World Map, hence they're quite literally nothing but a name of the map yet, presumably until the storyline somehow involves them. Should we name a point where we'll give up and amalgamate them into a bland list? When the expedition is out in nowhere land? Or until after the first "flashback" to the Known Lands, to see whether Minna is willing to include more backstory into them than the events immediately affecting the team?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

ThisCat

• Ranger
  • Meow. Mew-eoow meaow, miaow. Mow.
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2014, 08:44:58 AM »
Someone should add a page for admiral Shouty Olsen.  :P
:norway:
 Mostly quiet.
:uk:

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2014, 10:00:05 AM »
Someone should add a page for admiral Shouty Olsen.  :P

I'll put him on the Secondary Characters page  :)
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

JoB

« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2014, 10:21:06 AM »
I'll put him on the Secondary Characters page  :)
I have a hunch he'll be yelling at you for this debasement! ;)
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2014, 11:56:05 AM »
I have a hunch he'll be yelling at you for this debasement! ;)

I was half-tempted to write his entire entry in capitals.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2014, 12:03:59 PM »

I'd be willing to look the other way if you do as long as the article title is Admiral "All-Caps" Olsen.

JoB

« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2014, 01:39:28 PM »
Well there are ways to do that in a perfectly legal way.

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2014, 02:45:11 PM »
Well there are ways to do that in a perfectly legal way.

This actually goes back to what I was wondering way back when we were first setting up the Wiki, which is - how much can you change regarding the layout and colors and whatever? Like, is it possible make an external CSS sheet and link it it to the wiki? Or are you confined by Wikia's layout but can change small things like fonts and colors?

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2014, 06:33:25 PM »
Is there a way to view the statistics of all the articles, like their total size and word count, number of crosslinks and so forth? It would be sort of useful when trying to get an overview of articles that might require work.

JoB

« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2014, 01:32:44 PM »
This actually goes back to what I was wondering way back when we were first setting up the Wiki, which is - how much can you change regarding the layout and colors and whatever? Like, is it possible make an external CSS sheet and link it it to the wiki? Or are you confined by Wikia's layout but can change small things like fonts and colors?
If I remember correctly what I glanced when I brushed the Wikia help pages, then the specific Wikia's set of CSS are up to its admins to edit. Vewwy Cawefuwwy, of course. ;)

(Which sort of brings us back to the technical suggestions/questions I "ported" from the Wikia blog to this thread; The open question about searchable accentless versions of keywords is whether we can implant support into the CSS, and the suggestion about putting the CharInsert extension to use to allow everyone to easily "type" Nordic special characters IIUC would need to go into the Wikia's templates ...)

JoB

« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2014, 05:34:11 PM »
Is there a way to view the statistics of all the articles, like their total size and word count, number of crosslinks and so forth? It would be sort of useful when trying to get an overview of articles that might require work.
Almost forgot to (try to) answer this one ...

There's a bunch of Special Pages, including "Long Pages", "Short Pages" (both in Bytes), "Dead-end Pages", and "Orphaned Pages" (zero outgoing/incoming Wikia-internal links), but not a detailed statistic of all pages, as far as I can tell.

There don't seem to be relevant "magic" markup to include such data into the respective page, either ...

Nimphy

• The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2014, 10:44:09 AM »

I can change wikia's layout, at least for colors and backgrounds and stuff, but only I can. I settled on a standard design mimicking SSSS's color theme for the moment, but suggestions are welcome.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

JoB

« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2014, 03:59:41 PM »
I can change wikia's layout, at least for colors and backgrounds and stuff
Hmmm. You're obviously referring to the Theme Designer. According to the Admin Dashboard Help Page, you should also have a link there taking you to an outright outright editor for the Wikia CSS. Also, there's a list of CSS and JS files that can be modified.

Which is, needless to say, not of much use until we have a better idea of what we might want to change there. ;)

Solovei, as to your question about what we can do with that, there's a limit besides the technical one in that Wikia has set up a policy on what you may or may not do.

JoB

« Reply #88 on: September 28, 2014, 04:36:29 PM »
... bleh. I had a harder look at the Wikia and for the CharInsert extension (quick reminder: To allow people with plain ASCII on their keyboards to insert Nordic characters into edit windows by mouse click).

The good news is: The extension is not only installed and active, it is actually preconfigured on this page - which I am not allowed to edit. When you look at the actual source, you see a large block of "Latin-X" characters already entered, but commented out - as it sits between
<!-- Extra characters, hidden by default
and
-->

In a nutshell, making a selection of characters we need and putting them into a new <span> outside the comment should do the trick.

The bad news is that this useful extra is obviously unavailable in the VisualEditor and the Classic Editor's Graphical Mode; you have to switch the Classic Editor to Source Code Mode, then clicking "more" will pop it up. :(

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #89 on: September 28, 2014, 05:00:57 PM »
Ah, I believe we discussed granting admin rights to core contributors in the previous thread. I suppose giving JoB (or JoB2 rather) administrator access would be a good start.