Author Topic: Wiki discussion  (Read 53286 times)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
Re: Wiki discussion
« Reply #285 on: February 23, 2015, 12:50:01 PM »
Thank you for all these enlightments. Practically speaking, do you feel I can write some kind of a stub, draft, provisional article... or would it be wiser to wait a little more?
I can't really answer that because I don't know what you intend to put into the article (and because I know too well how much bolstering to make an article look decently sized can be done :P ) in the first place. (Speaking of bolstering, I wrote a dedicated article on the Sielulintu in the meantime.)

What I can say is that the description of magic as currently included into the "Mages" page heavily relies on the info pages on Mages, to the point of completely omitting most "magic" features shown on Lalli in the meantime, so some rewrite seems quite necessary. The thing I sorta fear is that if someone is to present that all in one article, the "magic" described would appear ... contradictory? amorphous? nondescript?

Having that said, I would be in favor of having a new article "Magic" (a concept important enough in SSSS to certainly warrant an article of its own in the long run) and we could agree on having that and an unchanged description of magic in "Mages" in parallel until we feel confident to have "Mages" just refer to "Magic" instead.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

FrogEater

• Ranger
  • Pessimists experience only good surprises
« Reply #286 on: February 23, 2015, 01:37:46 PM »
Sounds sensible. 'Mages' is the only entry for which Minna gave some information. 'Magic', OTOH, can be only pure analysis and inferences from what we saw so far (which means little...). Well, better to wait some more time, then.
:france: fluent, :uk: decent, :germany: war gut, :italy: tourist knowledge

JoB

« Reply #287 on: February 23, 2015, 04:01:20 PM »
Well, better to wait some more time, then.
... umh ... that's not what I suggested ... ? ??? (Not that you'ld be bound by that in any way.)
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

FrogEater

• Ranger
  • Pessimists experience only good surprises
« Reply #288 on: February 23, 2015, 05:00:31 PM »
:) I understood it was not your suggestion - it's only mine. Let's just say that
1- I don't have as much time for myself as I could wisht, these days
2- the thing probably needs some more polishing
But I will give it a try.
(after all, it's not as if we were debating over pressing or not the Big Dreadful Button in the Underground Bunker of Last Chance)
:france: fluent, :uk: decent, :germany: war gut, :italy: tourist knowledge

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #289 on: March 24, 2015, 11:32:03 PM »
Hey guys, remember how we still have a wiki? :D

Anyway, quick question - I tried to link Braidy/Reynir's entry to Arni's... and I  don't think it worked? It goes to the prologue page but not to the section with his name. I wonder if it's because it has the weird icelandic characters in it?

So if anyone could look into this, that would be great.
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

JoB

« Reply #290 on: March 25, 2015, 03:18:53 PM »
Hey guys, remember how we still have a wiki? :D

Anyway, quick question - I tried to link Braidy/Reynir's entry to Arni's... and I  don't think it worked? It goes to the prologue page but not to the section with his name. I wonder if it's because it has the weird icelandic characters in it?

So if anyone could look into this, that would be great.
For whatever reason, the link pointed to

Prologue Characters#C3.81rni .C3.9E.C3.B3r Reynisson

instead of

Prologue Characters#.C3.81rni .C3.9E.C3.B3r Reynisson

- fixed.

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #291 on: March 25, 2015, 05:25:39 PM »
For whatever reason, the link pointed to

Prologue Characters#C3.81rni .C3.9E.C3.B3r Reynisson

instead of

Prologue Characters#.C3.81rni .C3.9E.C3.B3r Reynisson

- fixed.

Huh, that's odd, I wonder how that period got in there. Thanks though! :)

JoB

« Reply #292 on: April 28, 2015, 05:27:32 PM »
Let me summarize a bunch of news from Wikia's Community Central:

Wikia wants to cater for readers on mobile devices. If you use the Classic Editor to edit a page (in visual mode), you have two (freaking huge) buttons off the right that give you a preview of what the page'll look like on "a mobile device" and "a desktop", respectively. Instructions on how to improve pages for mobile viewing are supposedly accumulating as we speak, the information on how urgently you should follow them apparently remains stuck at "half the page views of Wikia as a whole happen on mobile devices".

Also for the Classic Editor, but in source mode, Wikia released an update (sans announcement) introducing syntax highlighting. Note that the source mode of the Visual Editor remains unchanged.

Remember the "promote" function that was already shut down when we discovered it? There's a planned successor called "Hero Image" in beta now. Don't ask me what it does or how to use it, I seem to be unable to locate word one about those minor details in Ducksoup's quacking. :(

The Visual Editor (in visual mode) got some more tooling, part of that being that it reacts "appropriately" when you start typing Wikitext into it. Today I noticed that, when I typed Wikitext ("{{" to include a template) into an image caption, the editor lets me select the template, and then plain turns unresponsive. ::) Needs some work IMHO ...

Remember that they announced a complete revamp of the pages' layout? Rejoice, it'll come piecemeal and we'll possibly have to fix stuff repeatedly. Yay.

One of those changes that's already out there is new sharing buttons (which is what I noticed changed, and prompted me to look at Community Central again). Right now, Wikia is getting a lot of [ahem] feedback on how the placement of old and new buttons is inconsistent and wastes space, and lo, they say they'll have a look at it. So things will likely change again.

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #293 on: April 28, 2015, 06:24:40 PM »
Let me summarize a bunch of news from Wikia's Community Central:

Wikia wants to cater for readers on mobile devices. If you use the Classic Editor to edit a page (in visual mode), you have two (freaking huge) buttons off the right that give you a preview of what the page'll look like on "a mobile device" and "a desktop", respectively. Instructions on how to improve pages for mobile viewing are supposedly accumulating as we speak, the information on how urgently you should follow them apparently remains stuck at "half the page views of Wikia as a whole happen on mobile devices".

Also for the Classic Editor, but in source mode, Wikia released an update (sans announcement) introducing syntax highlighting. Note that the source mode of the Visual Editor remains unchanged.

Remember the "promote" function that was already shut down when we discovered it? There's a planned successor called "Hero Image" in beta now. Don't ask me what it does or how to use it, I seem to be unable to locate word one about those minor details in Ducksoup's quacking. :(

The Visual Editor (in visual mode) got some more tooling, part of that being that it reacts "appropriately" when you start typing Wikitext into it. Today I noticed that, when I typed Wikitext ("{{" to include a template) into an image caption, the editor lets me select the template, and then plain turns unresponsive. ::) Needs some work IMHO ...

Remember that they announced a complete revamp of the pages' layout? Rejoice, it'll come piecemeal and we'll possibly have to fix stuff repeatedly. Yay.

One of those changes that's already out there is new sharing buttons (which is what I noticed changed, and prompted me to look at Community Central again). Right now, Wikia is getting a lot of [ahem] feedback on how the placement of old and new buttons is inconsistent and wastes space, and lo, they say they'll have a look at it. So things will likely change again.

First of all, thanks JoB for keeping abreast of all the developments on the Wikia side of things!
As far as I can tell the Hero Image thing is similar to a cover image like on Facebook or Twitter.

In regards to the mobile views, is this something we want to invest time in? Maybe we could throw up a poll or something and see how many people actually use tablets/phones to check the wiki...

JoB

« Reply #294 on: April 29, 2015, 11:06:46 AM »
In regards to the mobile views, is this something we want to invest time in?
"Want to invest time in"? I'm under the impression that "cater to mobile" is the overwhelming driving force behind Wikia coming up with all those mandatory design changes, so we're in on at least part of the ride whether we want to or not ...

(Other than that, I have no talent in graphics or UI design or whatever and wouldn't have the slightest what to improve for mobile users in the first place, short of "entire page refuses to display" or somesuch.)

Maybe we could throw up a poll or something and see how many people actually use tablets/phones to check the wiki...
Wikia has the numbers, and isn't willing to reveal even the total number of page view, visitors etc. of individual wikis, as far as I can tell ...

JoB

« Reply #295 on: June 16, 2015, 10:02:47 PM »
FYI: Today on the wiki, there was a short discussion about the variant of English (BrE, AmE, ...?) for articles. I don't think that we need that pinpointed right now, maybe not ever, but I'ld like to solicit your opinions just to have a Meinungsbild at hand.

I thought that the comic itself - the most authoritative guideline there is, I suppose - is somewhat ambivalent on the matter, and scanning the most recent pages for confirmation, there indeed is an AmE "organize" on p. 307 and a BrE "defenceless" on p. 330.

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #296 on: June 25, 2015, 01:25:38 AM »
I have a request:

Could someone who has a better understanding of how radio works amend this page http://sssscomic.wikia.com/wiki/%C3%96resundsbro_base#Facilities to include the stuff on radio communication and the switchboards we saw in the comic?

Tack!

JoB

« Reply #297 on: June 25, 2015, 05:03:49 PM »
Could someone who has a better understanding of how radio works amend [the Öresundsbro base] page [...] to include the stuff on radio communication and the switchboards we saw in the comic?
... I tried.

Upon logging in (which activates my selection of the German language for the "controls"), Wikia showed me an announcement that the updated layout shall be activated for Wikias in German language on 01-Jul, having supposedly been turned on for the English ones a couple weeks ago. Can't say that I noticed any difference, but then again, the announcement says that the new "breakpoints" should not have any effect unless you're viewing the site in a browser pane more than 1500 pixels wide. (My laptop has a 1366x768 display.) Anyone ... ?

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #298 on: June 25, 2015, 05:15:46 PM »
... I tried.

Upon logging in (which activates my selection of the German language for the "controls"), Wikia showed me an announcement that the updated layout shall be activated for Wikias in German language on 01-Jul, having supposedly been turned on for the English ones a couple weeks ago. Can't say that I noticed any difference, but then again, the announcement says that the new "breakpoints" should not have any effect unless you're viewing the site in a browser pane more than 1500 pixels wide. (My laptop has a 1366x768 display.) Anyone ... ?
Same display size here, can't help, sorry.
New computer in about a week or so with a bigger display though, so I'll look then I suppose.
As for radios, I only have a vague idea of how they even work, so.. Sorry again.

Solovei

• Tumblr
« Reply #299 on: June 26, 2015, 12:21:42 AM »
... I tried.

It looks great, JoB! :D Exactly what I had in mind~

As for the resolution, I'm afraid I can't help either, I've got the same resolution. I could try hooking this thing up to the TV via HDMI and check that way?