Author Topic: Cosplay  (Read 143014 times)

KMK

• Scout
Re: Cosplay
« Reply #375 on: September 23, 2015, 02:59:42 PM »
Great gloves! And I'm afraid I have to agree that a fine band of tablet-weaving would look best, however much work it is. Trouble is it takes forever.

You could get plain white or cream cotton strapping (like that that is used for making belts and straps) and then paint the design on it with acrylic fabric paints. It would approximate the texture and thickness of the tablet weaving.

KMK

• Scout
« Reply #376 on: September 23, 2015, 03:24:09 PM »
I have an idea I want to bounce off all of you as cosplayers. I have a younger friend (was one of my daughter's besties in school) who is a licensed hair dresser. Problem is she has Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome from some drama in her teens that make it extremely difficult for her to hold a regular job much less the highly competitive drama of the hair cutting world. She is very talented though and knows how to make wigs and style them. It occurred to me that with my knowledge of making web pages and writing the Mamp inventory program that she could make the wigs for cosplaying characters and I could manage the website.

Some of the things I am trying to figure out are:
- Funding to start up. I figure it has to be one of the Go Fund Me or Kick Start or Indigogo type things because neither of us have money.
- What to offer as incentives. (Wigs of course but a short Turri wig and a Lady Godiva would not be the same level.)
-How to research what is currently popular. The campaign would tell me some of that. I am thinking that staging the wigs in short, medium and long lengths for different levels and letting the patron name their characters. That will give me some hint.
- Do I make this available just to the U.S. first or should I go international from the outset?
- Figuring out how to charge. Neither want to under price or gouge anyone.

There is probably more stuff that will occur as I think more about this. I would appreciate any insight that anyone has into this idea.

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
  • Preferred pronouns: she/hers
« Reply #377 on: September 24, 2015, 03:50:37 AM »
I have an idea I want to bounce off all of you as cosplayers. I have a younger friend (was one of my daughter's besties in school) who is a licensed hair dresser. Problem is she has Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome from some drama in her teens that make it extremely difficult for her to hold a regular job much less the highly competitive drama of the hair cutting world. She is very talented though and knows how to make wigs and style them. It occurred to me that with my knowledge of making web pages and writing the Mamp inventory program that she could make the wigs for cosplaying characters and I could manage the website.

Some of the things I am trying to figure out are:
- Funding to start up. I figure it has to be one of the Go Fund Me or Kick Start or Indigogo type things because neither of us have money.
- What to offer as incentives. (Wigs of course but a short Turri wig and a Lady Godiva would not be the same level.)
-How to research what is currently popular. The campaign would tell me some of that. I am thinking that staging the wigs in short, medium and long lengths for different levels and letting the patron name their characters. That will give me some hint.
- Do I make this available just to the U.S. first or should I go international from the outset?
- Figuring out how to charge. Neither want to under price or gouge anyone.

There is probably more stuff that will occur as I think more about this. I would appreciate any insight that anyone has into this idea.

-I think for reward levels you could potentially 1) have custom wigs organized by length (three levels or something) 2) let people have discount vouchers? That way later they can decide on a specific wig they really want and they won't be pressured to choose right away.
Geologist | Writer | Artist

“What’s the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can’t blow something up?’”

- Terry Pratchett - Reaper Man

Oh Deer

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • I live!! but no joke, it's good to be back :D
« Reply #378 on: September 25, 2015, 06:15:36 PM »
I'm planning on cosplaying Lalli for Halloween, and I would need I wig. But my mom is like "We can just style and spray your hair!" But his hair is a lot longer than mine and really want to get this right,but gahhhhhhhh
Halloween costume constructing is always frustrating. Because I'm a freaking perfectionist
"Nerds + time = siege engines, it's a well-known fact."- Noodly Appendage
:chap6:, :chap7: :chap8:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #379 on: September 25, 2015, 06:40:47 PM »
I'm planning on cosplaying Lalli for Halloween, and I would need I wig. But my mom is like "We can just style and spray your hair!" But his hair is a lot longer than mine and really want to get this right,but gahhhhhhhh
Halloween costume constructing is always frustrating. Because I'm a freaking perfectionist

It's 5 weeks till Halloween -- enough time for most people's hair to grow another inch or so.  Will that help?
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Oh Deer

• Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #380 on: September 25, 2015, 07:06:08 PM »
It's 5 weeks till Halloween -- enough time for most people's hair to grow another inch or so.  Will that help?
Nah, my hair is all pixie cut (basically an average boy's haircut) but I wish it would! I am hoping to post pics of the cosplay, but that one little detail will erk me  :P

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #381 on: September 25, 2015, 07:11:35 PM »

Other people's hair grows that fast!?!? It took forever (i.e. three years) to grow my hair out six inches! Well, I guess that's the price of curly hair that grows in corkscrews and requires layers at all times. Anyhoo...

Well, a wig might be a good investment if you're planning to wear this costume again anytime. But if not, remember that most of your hair is going to be under the LalliHood, and so it won't show if it's short, especially in the back. Ooh, wait, I had another idea. If you're going to be wearing the hood the entire time, you can buy a two hair extensions in the right color for the two bits of hair that stick out from under the hood, like in this picture:

^^^
And that might work pretty well. It's not ideal because you'd have to keep the hood on the entire day (and really I'm only guessing that it'd work), but it might be a good compromise!
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Oh Deer

• Scout
    • Tumblr
« Reply #382 on: September 25, 2015, 07:14:38 PM »

Well, a wig might be a good investment if you're planning to wear this costume again anytime. But if not, remember that most of your hair is going to be under the LalliHood, and so it won't show if it's short, especially in the back. Ooh, wait, I had another idea. If you're going to be wearing the hood the entire time, you can buy a two hair extensions in the right color for the two bits of hair that stick out from under the hood, like in this picture:

^^^
And that might work pretty well. It's not ideal because you'd have to keep the hood on the entire day (and really I'm only guessing that it'd work), but it might be a good compromise!
This is a great idea! I'm working what stuff I need to get today so I'll definitely think about this.

freddiethefantastic

« Reply #383 on: September 27, 2015, 02:50:31 PM »
I've said this like twelve thousand times, but yeS please get a wig. They really are an amazing investment and will bring your cosplay to the next level. I would try talking to your mom and explaining that wigs aren't as expensive as they seem, and will look much better and more canon than just styling your hair.

blackberryblossoms

• Tumblr
« Reply #384 on: October 14, 2015, 05:54:12 PM »

I was editing my con photos and randomly came across this one - had forgotten about it already but Reynir finally found a palm tree. :D
This is awesome   :D
:usa: native
:japan: learning
:sweden: learning
:chap9: Chapter break survivor

Krisse Kovacs

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #385 on: October 14, 2015, 11:46:11 PM »
not really a full cosplay (yet). but planning to go like this to the con this weekend.

Yes, I did draw that for the con and I plan to walk with that cuz I can xD people actually read if you have something text with you. maybe I can get some new fan? who knows. (I write the comic link on the pic, maybe it helps too)
(once I cosplayed Link for Zelda and I had a paper on my back saying "I am not Zelda, I am Link" because everyone confuse the names. many people stopped me just to read it then laughed xD)

YES the text say "HAVE YOU SEEN MY SOULMATE?" but I took the photo in mirror so it is mirrored (people knows a bit english, that's why I didn't bothered to translate into hungarian, i wrote automatically in english oops)

(I really need a new white trousers this is like twice bigger then me..... I could not find one......)
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #386 on: October 21, 2015, 08:13:45 AM »
not so much a cosplay because my hair's all wrong but

i have obtained the lallisvetr

(I commisioned laufey some months ago, and i got it today!!! thank you laufey)
you'll know where to find me.

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #387 on: October 21, 2015, 08:56:12 AM »

Hahahah I'm glad it's accurately too big for you! Let's hope for a cold winter. :D
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Haiz

• Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #388 on: October 21, 2015, 10:45:36 AM »
Hahahah I'm glad it's accurately too big for you! Let's hope for a cold winter. :D
no kidding haha

I'll try get some actual good photos taken when i wear it into shape. right now it's kind of... as if lalli stole emil's sweater...
(I don't look particularly enthusiastic in the photo but that's because i'm concentrating so hard on getting a decent pic haha)
you'll know where to find me.

Fimbulvarg

• Craigslist Samurai
« Reply #389 on: October 21, 2015, 01:19:09 PM »
not so much a cosplay because my hair's all wrong but

i have obtained the lallisvetr

(I commisioned laufey some months ago, and i got it today!!! thank you laufey)

At first I thought the zipper was your teeth...
You're hereby banned from ever complaining about it being cold.