Author Topic: Cosplay  (Read 146937 times)

Nimphy

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • The Almighty Phoenix, future Ruler of the World
Re: Cosplay
« Reply #360 on: August 25, 2015, 06:50:35 PM »
So cool, Viola and Ana!

...One day I shall join this thread. One day I shall contribute to it. One day.
Fluent: :italy:, :albania:, :usa:

Okay: :spain:

Learning: :germany: :norway: :japan:

Bloody messed-up spoils of a language: :france:

Survivor: :chap0: :chap1: :chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8:

Yuuago

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #361 on: August 25, 2015, 09:31:42 PM »
Feartheviolas AH You look great! : D And oh, that's your real hair? Wow, so vibrant o_o

Ana Nymus You are awesome and your cosplay looks awesome! I know you said you hate having your picture taken, but I'm glad you decided to do it, because you make a great Lalli.

Thanks for sharing, you two, those photos look great!!
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #362 on: August 27, 2015, 03:29:56 PM »
Thank you for all the comments, everyone! I had a lot of fun doing this, and maybe Lalli will be back in the wintertime for the snow ;)
And if anyone wants it, I have patterns cut out for both the coat and the hat/hood/whatever. I don't know how exactly I'd send them over the Internet, but regardless, they exist if anyone else would like to make things :)
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

urbicande

• --.- .-. .-.. ..--..
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #363 on: August 28, 2015, 10:17:03 AM »
Thank you for all the comments, everyone! I had a lot of fun doing this, and maybe Lalli will be back in the wintertime for the snow ;)
And if anyone wants it, I have patterns cut out for both the coat and the hat/hood/whatever. I don't know how exactly I'd send them over the Internet, but regardless, they exist if anyone else would like to make things :)

They're pretty cool.
Keep an eye on me. I shimmer on horizons.

Survivor: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: / :book2:   :chap13:   :chap14:  :chap15: :chap16: / :book3:  :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20:  :chap21: / :book4:

:A2chap01:

Fluent:  :usa: :uk: :canada:
Basic conversation:  :france: :germany:
Learning: :sweden: :finland:
A couple of words:  :spain: :italy:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #364 on: September 06, 2015, 03:32:45 PM »

This is what I've used this weekend for, Sigrun gloves. They're not even ready yet because I've ran into a problem with the blue trim - what should I use for it? Tablet-woven ribbon would be my favourite choice (and very appropriate, everything considered) but that's a lot of trouble, considering how much of it I'd need for the whole uniform... any other ideas anyone? You're also free to suggest I just go with the tablet weaving, I'm a masochist for "but it looks better that way"-ideas.

I used this tutorial that I've linked here before. I took loads of photos of the modifications you'll need to make in the pattern and once I get the trim and the tightening strings in place I could make a full tutorial on Sigrun gloves.

Annnd then I of course took lots of photos with them on - they may look a bit large and wrinkly around the arms now but they do have to fit a tight, black shirt and coat sleeves underneath, so worn over the uniform they'll fill out better.

They're fairly comfortable to wear although pleather is always a bit sweaty. :P

Also practicing styling my hair to Sigrun's ridiculous side curls.

Hahah horrible wrist form.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2015, 04:54:06 PM by Laufey »
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Yuuago

• Tumblr
  • Well, there's still hope in this world.
  • Preferred pronouns: He/etc
« Reply #365 on: September 06, 2015, 04:47:55 PM »
(snip)

This is what's I've used this weekend for, Sigrun gloves. They're not even ready yet because I've ran into a problem with the blue trim - what should I use for it? Tablet-woven ribbon would be my favourite choice (and very appropriate, everything considered) but that's a lot of trouble, considering how much of it I'd need for the whole uniform...

◝(⁰▿⁰)◜ AHHH THEY LOOK GREAT. As for the trim... I'm tempted to say "just do tablet weaving" because it WOULD look awesome, I think. But you're right that would be an awful lot of trouble to go through. So hopefully somebody will have a suggestion.

/chinhands excitedly
I look forward to seeing more Sigrun-cosplay developments.
Journal | Tumblr | Fic Archive
Og kring meg i myrket/snøar og snøar det. - Olav H. Hauge

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #366 on: September 06, 2015, 08:38:46 PM »
Great gloves! And I'm afraid I have to agree that a fine band of tablet-weaving would look best, however much work it is. Trouble is it takes forever.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #367 on: September 07, 2015, 11:12:59 PM »
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GLOVES!
For the trim (since tablet-woven ribbon would be a pain in the butt), I might suggest the kind of trim/edging stuff that you put around a quilt? I don't know what it's called, but it's like a thin strip of fabric folded in half that you sew over rough edges to avoid having to hem. Then maybe you could put the little triangles on with marker or embroider them or something.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Ana Nymus

• DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #368 on: September 07, 2015, 11:17:33 PM »
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
GLOVES!
For the trim (since tablet-woven ribbon would be a pain in the butt), I might suggest the kind of trim/edging stuff that you put around a quilt? I don't know what it's called, but it's like a thin strip of fabric folded in half that you sew over rough edges to avoid having to hem. Then maybe you could put the little triangles on with marker or embroider them or something.

Do you mean bias tape? Bias tape is wonderful! And you can make your own, so you could make it whatever color/size/material you wanted.
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #369 on: September 08, 2015, 04:38:10 AM »
Do you mean bias tape? Bias tape is wonderful! And you can make your own, so you could make it whatever color/size/material you wanted.

Hmm, I had originally ruled out bias tape because it tends to look so smooth and cotton-y (nothing wrong with cotton but I've a feeling the Y90 people default to wool or linen), but I hadn't considered making some myself... that could work!
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #370 on: September 08, 2015, 06:10:56 AM »
You could maybe make it out of a suitably coloured linen fabric? Or even a heavy rough-woven slub cotton that looked a bit like linen?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

starfallz

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • MiSSSSionary
« Reply #371 on: September 08, 2015, 05:14:05 PM »
I think I've seen some things around that help you fold your own bias tape? That way you can use whatever you want, I think.
Fluent: :usa: Rusty: :japan: Uh, what? :sweden:
Chapter Break Survivor: :artd: : :chap5: :book2: :book3: :book4: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

RaeSeddon

« Reply #372 on: September 13, 2015, 04:05:09 PM »
Bias tape makers are absolutely a thing and they are indispensable to cosplayers. My god. Clover is the most common type (here in the states) and you can buy it in whatever width you need, ranging from 1/4th of an inch to 2 inches. There are bias tape machines that can do multiple widths, but the low cost Clover ones work fine. 

freddiethefantastic

« Reply #373 on: September 14, 2015, 08:51:15 PM »
I found some nice tutorials for both bias tape and tablet weaving, maybe you can find a way to make bias tape that looks like tablet weaving?

amaranthineamusement

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • call me Am
  • Preferred pronouns: she/hers
« Reply #374 on: September 15, 2015, 03:05:27 AM »
Hey guys! SO this isn't exactly cosplay, but I noticed a few days ago that my hairstyle is sort of exactly like emils? And since my thought process is SUPER logical, I decided to do a few of his facial expressions and post them on the internets. Without makeup, because my planning is nonexistent.

(yes, I know I look pretty feminine. Oops?)

The primping:

The glare:

The stunned smile:

Geologist | Writer | Artist

“What’s the good of having mastery over cosmic balance and knowing the secrets of fate if you can’t blow something up?’”

- Terry Pratchett - Reaper Man