Author Topic: The Webcomics Discussion  (Read 84984 times)

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
Re: The Webcomics Discussion
« Reply #180 on: April 29, 2015, 11:11:25 PM »
So, Jake Wyatt has finally started posting more of Necropolis. Too early to tell too much of what it's about, but I really, really love the art style. And the main character's design. Who is called the Third Sword, which makes me love her even more.
I've seen the development sketches on Tumblr before it actually came out, and yes the art style is great! I just wish it was like, on it's own dedicated site or something because it can be really hard to go through otherwise... I'm still yet to actually start reading it because of that.
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #181 on: May 04, 2015, 07:32:13 AM »
FYI, "Thistil Mistil Kistil" is back to updating!  (The artist took most of January-March off to publish her first printed volume and create a buffer.)

This is an excellent comic about a fantasy version of the Viking Age, *very* carefully researched, including the surprising bits (such as the interaction of Christian and Muslim worlds with Vikings and other pagan cultures, creepy funeral customs, and more), plus plentiful humor and a vivid, distinctive art style reminiscent of "The Secret of Kells."  It even features cool Icelandic runes and a dissatisfied shepherd. 

It's suitable for ages 8 and up (off-screen death; reference to curses, slavery, and the undead; some cartoon violence; and a few discreet references to adult situations).  I heartily recommend it.
ahhh I finally read this, I love it! thank you sunflower for making me aware of its existence
(also I love secret of kells so much you have no idea)
you'll know where to find me.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #182 on: May 04, 2015, 02:37:17 PM »
ahhh I finally read this, I love it! thank you sunflower for making me aware of its existence
(also I love secret of kells so much you have no idea)

I can't believe I haven't actually *watched* "Secret of Kells," just seen stills.  Gotta fix that soon.

There's a measurable overlap between readerships of SSSS and TMK -- the latter's comments include names you'd recognize.   ;)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #183 on: May 04, 2015, 02:57:17 PM »
I can't believe I haven't actually *watched* "Secret of Kells," just seen stills.  Gotta fix that soon.

You absolutely need to fix that! The Secret of Kells is my favorite animated movie; it's worth the watch if only for the visuals.

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13:

Mélusine

• Conqueror of an Abandoned City
« Reply #184 on: May 04, 2015, 03:36:55 PM »
I have seen it last year and can't understand why so late, because it's wonderful :)
Native : :france: In progress : :uk: Trying to learn : :sweden: Far, far away : :germany: :spain:
Survivor : :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: and :book2:

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #185 on: May 04, 2015, 04:02:20 PM »
You absolutely need to fix that! The Secret of Kells is my favorite animated movie; it's worth the watch if only for the visuals.

Also watch Song of the Sea, that one is beautiful as well - same animators, bit more recent. I literally paused several times just to admire some scenes...

Also, back on webcomics - has anybody read The Phoenix Requiem? Because frick, that's good. It's a bit more of an "Online Graphic Novel", and it's complete, so you don't have to worry about hitting an update wall :)
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #186 on: May 05, 2015, 03:18:54 AM »
Minna provided a long Disqus post on p. 312 about webcomics creation.  I'm putting it here for now, but am open to suggestions to put it somewhere else.

TheNextMangaKing
I know this comment might never be seen, but your productivity is simply INCREDIBLE. Before I looked at how long it took you to complete a Redtail's Dream, I thought such speed and upkeep was impossible. But, as evidenced here, it is CLEARLY not.

Do you have any tips on how I can keep up speed and quality of my own work without burning myself out? Or do you have a previous blog post concerning this? Your colors are breathtaking, and the work in general is consistently amazing.

minnasundberg 
Ah, I guess that would be a good blog post topic, I have a lot of little tips and tricks in my pocket by now. But here's some general advice I could share for now:

1. Start slow and try to get more efficient in increments; starting off with a too pressing goal off the bat is an easy ticket to burnout.

When I started aRTD my goal was to draw one page every week, and even that felt like a huge hurdle. But by the time the first chapter was done and I decided to start putting it online I had become accustomed enough to drawing it that I was able to do 3 pages a week, easily.

After about a year the way I drew the pages was such a tightly practiced and planned routine that I was able to move to the daily updates.

2. Get rid of that voice that tells you that each page has to be better than the last one or you're a failure of an artist who isn't progressing at all. Just try your best and once a page or panel is finished just call it done even if you're disappointed in it, and try your best again with the next one.

(When looking for whether you've progressed or not compare your current pages to works that are at least a few months-a year old, otherwise you'll get constantly depressed from not seeing any improvement.)

3. Don't wait for inspiration to work, and don't go to bed early just because you're "not feeling it". I know that pages that I draw when I'm feeling kinda depressed will be worse than if I were enthusiastic about what I'm drawing, but a mediocre depression-day-page is better than no page because of depression, and I know I'll feel even more depressed and stressed out if I fall behind my drawing schedule.

I don't go to bed angry and I don't go to bed without finishing that day's work, even if it means I go to bed well after the sun is up.

(Uhhh, yeah, I could write like five blog posts on the subject. I've spent a whooole lot of time trying to figure out how to develop my drawing speed while also keeping it from becoming something I resent doing every day. So far so good, i suppose. :P )
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

wolfie

• Ranger
  • :3
« Reply #187 on: May 13, 2015, 07:14:23 AM »
Just finished the first storyline of Spacetrawler. Punch to the gut. Very, very good story. Awesome characters. I have no clue if it was recommended allready (so.many.lists.) But if it was, I still do not regret recommending it again. Anybody else read it?

"Dammit Moon-Moon"
Thanks to gifted gif-finder Eri

Richard Weir

• Scout
« Reply #188 on: May 14, 2015, 08:29:04 PM »
Yes indeed! It's a brilliant comic, and well worth sticking to even though it gets very dark (and funnydark as well) in places.
My one-and-only: :uk:

Laufey

• Retired Moderator
    • Tumblr
  • BOOM BOOM VROOM VROOM
« Reply #189 on: May 18, 2015, 07:15:42 AM »
Was The Glass Scientists mentioned here yet? I just found it following a link from another webcomic (the ever so awesome Family Man) and it looks very promising!
Speak: :finland: :iceland: :uk: :icelandic sheepdog:
Butchering at every try: :sweden:
Learning: :japan:
Wishlist: :norway:

Chapter break survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12:

wolfie

• Ranger
  • :3
« Reply #190 on: May 18, 2015, 09:18:57 AM »
Was The Glass Scientists mentioned here yet? I just found it following a link from another webcomic (the ever so awesome Family Man) and it looks very promising!

I'm reading it as well. I'm looking forward to all the mythology/literature she hinted us at. (and Church Grim is very cute)

"Dammit Moon-Moon"
Thanks to gifted gif-finder Eri

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #191 on: May 19, 2015, 06:40:31 AM »

Found that through the Hive Works, looks promising but the update schedule is slow and there is little released so far.

Tjoll

• genderqueer sugar addict
« Reply #192 on: May 19, 2015, 05:04:26 PM »
One of my favorite webcomics is The End.
A few people walk more or less accidentally into a spacecraft at a convention, thinking it to be an attraction whereas it really IS an actual spacecraft. A spacecraft belonging to aliens who want to rescue the human race. However, after their fleet got destroyed by an unknown foe, this one remaining spacecraft heads for deep space in a hurry with its clueless human luggage on board. The humans are not amused because they effectively just got abducted. Hijinkx ensue.
The plot is gripping, lots of characters are sassy and/or snarky and the overall atmosphere is sort of dark but laced with humor. There's some really nice worldbuilding going on, and the art develops into a thing of beauty. Also, SPACE!1!!11
« Last Edit: May 19, 2015, 05:08:58 PM by Tjoll »
:germany: :uk:
male pronouns, plz

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #193 on: May 19, 2015, 09:13:35 PM »
I vouch on that one.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #194 on: May 20, 2015, 01:32:23 AM »
I'm reading The end right now, and the alt-text-saga is literally my favorite part of the comic. So much that I pay more attention to it than the actual story.
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.