Author Topic: The Webcomics Discussion  (Read 85031 times)

SugaAndSpice

• Scout
  • just a gourd on the internet
  • Preferred pronouns: ALL THE PRONOUNS. He/him/his is always a safe bet though!
Re: The Webcomics Discussion
« Reply #165 on: April 22, 2015, 10:45:10 PM »
Namesake. Great comic! Now, must go sleep.
I say vol, you say tron! Vol!
…Voltron?

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #166 on: April 23, 2015, 04:33:47 AM »
Read the entirety of Supernormal Step yesterday, so yeah its pretty good :)

Chizu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Potatoes you will potate!
« Reply #167 on: April 23, 2015, 05:45:49 AM »
Re-read Ava's Demons the other night, if people have not read this comic they should. It is pretty amazing. Also Rat Queens and Saga. I think those two are no longer web, but Rat Queens is pretty hilarious and the art is awesome. Saga has an amazing story and characters, for the lovers of hopping plot bunnies.

Haiz

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • Tumblr
  • I'M THE BOGKEEP HERE'S YOUR PEAT
  • Preferred pronouns: he/they
« Reply #168 on: April 23, 2015, 08:25:01 AM »
I think those two are no longer web, but Rat Queens is pretty hilarious and the art is awesome.

ah yes I read the first volume of rat queens pretty recently
i'm still laughing at this

he's just shouting "magic raven murder" in mangled norwegian like nbd
(he did in fact summon murderous magic ravens though)
you'll know where to find me.

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #169 on: April 23, 2015, 06:03:51 PM »
I read Saga, but I only buy the collected volumes so I'm probably behind everyone else!
It's good so far but they keep introducing new plot threads and I'm kind of afraid that
a) It'll go on for years and years and I'll end up with like 1000000 volumes
OR
b) They'll cancel it halfway through and we'll never get to find out where all those plotlines were supposed to go.
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

GiantBird

• Super-Newbie
« Reply #170 on: April 25, 2015, 11:07:50 PM »
Well, virtually everything I can think of has been mentioned, and I mostly read SSSS and Lackadaisy anyway...

But, for those who like Pokemon, there's a niche I don't think anyone's mentioned yet: comics based off the Nuzlocke challenge. There are quite a few out there, and some of them are good enough to be great comics in their own right. Here are a couple of my favorites:

Folded is absolutely lovely, with a beautiful simplicity to both the story and art. It's also made by a Finnish artist!

Goddamn Critical Hits is mostly a comedy (and a very funny one, in my opinion), but the depth of character development is actually pretty impressive. The art has also gotten really good over time.

If this niche genre appeals to you, I'd also recommend
The Long and Winding Road (the art gets better if you stick with it!) and Ken's FireRed Kick@$$ Mode in the comedy department. Mon Amie has a good blend of humor and drama, and although the art gets a bit repetitive, the writing is quite good.
I speak English and a little Mandarin Chinese, and have reading proficiency in Latin and Ancient Greek (Attic, Koine, Ionic and Homeric). I study biochemistry!

Chizu

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • Potatoes you will potate!
« Reply #171 on: April 27, 2015, 05:41:29 PM »
ah yes I read the first volume of rat queens pretty recently
i'm still laughing at this

he's just shouting "magic raven murder" in mangled norwegian like nbd
(he did in fact summon murderous magic ravens though)

Awh yes! And the way they fooled the trolls! :D Volume 2 is coming out in May!!! I can't wait for it. I must say that even though I pick up favourite characters quickly, I can't with Rat Queens as I find all of them to be quite amusing! Also the party at the end of first volume just made me laugh so much!   

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
  • Preferred pronouns: they/them
« Reply #172 on: April 27, 2015, 08:35:48 PM »
If no-one's mentioned xkcd on here yet ....
Although, in the eternal words of Mr Munroe himself, "this comic occasionally contains strong language (which may be unsuitable for children), unusual humor (which may be unsuitable for adults), and advanced mathematics (which may be unsuitable for liberal-arts majors)"
so, y'know, all you tiny children out there, perhaps not.
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #173 on: April 27, 2015, 08:49:34 PM »
Strangely, I'm technically a liberal arts major, but I love xkcd. It's awesome.

Y'know what's another great webcomic? Paranatural. Oohhh man. Love that stuff. The humor is wonderful, the art has become rather great, and the faces. The faces!
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

Ren

• Tumblr
« Reply #174 on: April 27, 2015, 09:14:08 PM »
Almost all of these are in progress

Ava's Demon

Namesake

Blindsprings

Alice and the Nightmare

Godslave

Not a Villain

The Boy Who Fell

Learning Spanish and Norwegian

Chapter Break Survivor: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19:

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #175 on: April 29, 2015, 04:40:43 AM »
If no-one's mentioned xkcd on here yet ....
Although, in the eternal words of Mr Munroe himself, "this comic occasionally contains strong language (which may be unsuitable for children), unusual humor (which may be unsuitable for adults), and advanced mathematics (which may be unsuitable for liberal-arts majors)"
so, y'know, all you tiny children out there, perhaps not.

Despite the disclaimer I'd say that xkcd is good for people of all ages.  If the young 'uns on here are anything like me they will have learnt nearly all the swear words and their meanings by the time they left primary school.  xkcd is great for encouraging an inquisitive mind and poking fun at accepted norms so I would think it is a good read for ages 12 and up.  You don't need to understand all of it to enjoy it.

Adrai Thell

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Might be productive. Someday.
« Reply #176 on: April 29, 2015, 12:40:13 PM »
Despite the disclaimer I'd say that xkcd is good for people of all ages.  If the young 'uns on here are anything like me they will have learnt nearly all the swear words and their meanings by the time they left primary school.  xkcd is great for encouraging an inquisitive mind and poking fun at accepted norms so I would think it is a good read for ages 12 and up.  You don't need to understand all of it to enjoy it.

And if nothing else, read the What-If section. Honestly my favorite thing, and most definitely appropriate for all ages, minds, whatever. Read the alt-text, too.
I have it in book form.
When it's also free on the internet.
Fluent: :usa:
Childlike: :france:
Stolen Souls: 6.5
Survivor: :artd: :book1+: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Speak softly, and carry a big heart.

mithrysc

• Ranger
  • indefinite hiatus
« Reply #177 on: April 29, 2015, 07:01:07 PM »
So, Jake Wyatt has finally started posting more of Necropolis. Too early to tell too much of what it's about, but I really, really love the art style. And the main character's design. Who is called the Third Sword, which makes me love her even more.

Oh Deer

• Scout
    • Tumblr
  • I live!! but no joke, it's good to be back :D
« Reply #178 on: April 29, 2015, 09:39:40 PM »
I just finished reading Prague Race,which is amazing! The art fits so well with the mood of the story :3
"Nerds + time = siege engines, it's a well-known fact."- Noodly Appendage
:chap6:, :chap7: :chap8:

Noodles

• Tumblr
  • *flops*
« Reply #179 on: April 29, 2015, 09:48:37 PM »
And if nothing else, read the What-If section. Honestly my favorite thing, and most definitely appropriate for all ages, minds, whatever. Read the alt-text, too.
I have it in book form.
When it's also free on the internet.
^that!
(i have the book too) (and is does have some extras! Like, weird questions he's gotten ["If I am stabbed at a random place on my torso, what are the chances that it didn't hit anything vital?"] and answers that aren't online.)
I'll do art-swaps and beta-reads, PM me!
Native: :usa:
Can make a fool of myself, but comprehensibly: :france:
Write a little Sindarin (working on that)
Wish-list: ASL, :sweden:, :norway:
Chapter break survivor: :book2::book3::book4::A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05: