Author Topic: Upcoming new bunny comics i.e. Minna’s next work  (Read 27486 times)

yung_chrysanthemum

Re: Upcoming new bunny comics i.e. Minna’s next work
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2022, 11:54:05 AM »
There was a small chance that I would have read the new comic if it weren't titled with an insult to non-religious people.

I might question whether her intent is really to proselytize if that's the tone she's decided to set?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 12:03:51 PM by yung_chrysanthemum »
:chap2: :chap3: :chap4: :chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17:

native: :usa:
reasonably good: :japan:

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2022, 05:20:52 PM »
I think it's possible that she may genuinely not understand that the title is insulting; or why.

Her father apparently read multiple pages of the reaction on these boards to the bunny comic and understood none of it.

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #47 on: February 01, 2022, 04:19:34 AM »
I think it's possible that she may genuinely not understand that the title is insulting; or why.

Or maybe it's the whole "if you find it insulting, it's good for you to be insulted in this way, means you're sinful and I'm saving your soul" sentiment, which is fairly common among proselytising Christians.

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2022, 09:06:50 PM »
Absolutely. I shudder when I think of some of the things I wrote and said when I was younger and really on fire for my faith. (If only I could get that zeal back and combine it with the lessons I've learned over the last fifteen years or so. *le wistful sigh*)

I used to believe that if you're offended by the truth, you need to be offended. But now I realize that this is a message that pretends to be one of evangelization/apologetics/proselytism but is in actually preaching toward the choir. Taken to extremes, you get the door-to-door proselytizing that's ultimately not meant to make converts but to put young members in uncomfortable situations to teach them that nonbelievers are hostile and afraid of the truth. In any case, it's no more effective for evangelization than the likes of God's Not Dead.

Simple common sense, if you stop and listen to it, tells you that people tend not to listen to others who offend them--and that's before you consider the backfire effect. So I'd say if you're truly offended by the truth, you need to be educated, but offending you is one of the least effective ways I could go about doing that. (Really, even that's a naive approach: Sometimes people are just bigoted, not actually ignorant. But there are enough people who do bigoted things out of ignorance, like Minna with the racist slur, that education is a good place to start--if, that is, you can do it without being condescending.)

Of course, I don't think it's a problem for Christians to believe that Christianity is more true or more complete than other competing belief systems. After all, no two mutually exclusive truth claims both be true. But not only is the Chick-esque "You're going to hell! Wanna know how to fix that?" approach not effective, it's also incredibly rude. Minna's approach in Lovely People wasn't that bad, but it's not that much better. Making disciples involves loving people, not just telling them how much better your belief system is than theirs and telling yourself that's loving. No amount of zeal, and no amount of cute bunnies, can make up for failing to respect the people you're trying to evangelize. Even if the disrespect is unintentional.

So I have little interest in Minna's overtly Christian stories. I'll probably check them out even if I don't expect to stick with them. After SSSS, I feel I owe it to Minna to give her a chance to surprise me.

"Dialogue is not all we need. Just pure communication is not an end in itself. But it's a start, and if we refuse to start, how can we expect to finish?"
- Simcha Fisher

Mastodon: @Linebyline@bytetower.social

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2022, 05:36:14 AM »
Linebyline, I agree with you. For the faiths that encourage or even require proselytising of their adherents, it is still far more effective to do so while approaching the people you hope to convert from a position of courtesy and respect, rather than from one of: “Nyah, nyah, I’m better than you are and you are going to hell!”. This tends to have the opposite effect to what is intended, as well as being directly contrary to the advice of the god in whose name it is supposedly being done, who recommended justice, mercy and loving one another. And I am far more likely to listen to somebody whose life is lived as a witness to their faith.

I should explain that I am myself a lifelong Pagan, and glad to be so. We are actively forbidden to proselytise, because we regard religion as being very much a private matter between the individual soul and its god or gods, and not a matter in which anyone else can or should have influence. I have taken the time and trouble to explore Christian theology because many of the people I like and respect are of that faith, including my late stepmother, my husband and one of my aunts. And I want to better understand these people who matter to me. I came to the conclusion that while it is not my own faith, if practised in the original form it can be a noble one and worthy of respect. Unfortunately Christianity has become, in many of its present expressions, Churchianity, a creation of politics, power over other people, and wealth creation for the political structures it supports, and has lost the focus on love that it had originally. A pity.

I intend to look at Minna’s new work, but I doubt it will mean anything to me if it is too much like Lovely People. We shall see.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2022, 08:27:13 AM »
Yeah. I'm in the States, and here Christianity (especially Evangelicalism and Catholicism) has been largely been hijacked by politicians who've managed to convince people that their religion imposes a moral duty to vote for Republicans. (So much for "put not your faith in princes," huh?)

And the Catholic Church, of which I'm a member, has a serious problem with trying to turn the Church into Fort Hunker-Down anytime there's the slightest whiff of criticism, which is why the enormous sex abuse/cover-up scandal (among others) keeps getting swept back under the rug every few years. Pope Francis (for all his faults) is trying to change this, which is probably why the Catholic media establishment, which I used to trust implicitly, is bent on painting him as an evil communist heretic. *sigh*

I think there's a charitable enough way to interpret Lovely People itself, apart from its its epilogues, as not being based on this mentality: You could see it as using persecution of Christians as an example of how a social credit system, or any oppressive society, could always come for you next even if your group had been socially acceptable up to this point. But it still feels at least a little like a "Christians are being oppressed, boohoo poor us" narrative, and the epilogues (especially the second) cement this.

I definitely bought into that narrative during what I call my "apologetics phase" and I grew out of it, so I have hope for Minna. I think we just need to be patient with her. After all, everything I said about bad Christian evangelization works the same in the other direction.

Doesn't mean we have to like the bunny comics, though.
"Dialogue is not all we need. Just pure communication is not an end in itself. But it's a start, and if we refuse to start, how can we expect to finish?"
- Simcha Fisher

dmeck7755

« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2022, 05:54:50 PM »
I forgot to post this a while back.  Minna sent an update in May.  Apparently the next comic is going to be a "So I’ve decided to take a couple years to make a medium-length adventure comic first, "(According to her post)  Now I am not sure if it will have religious undertones or not.  It is supposed to be second after her testimony comic.

She did post a couple of pictures (As always the art-work is really nice)

This is on her public blog (I do not subscribe to the private one)

But for anyone who is interested.

https://hummingfluffstudio.substack.com/p/public-comic-progress-update-and

Here is one of the art pieces

"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2022, 06:16:48 PM »
Well, it’s promising that she realizes she is not an authority in in theology. On the other hand it seems like expecting a lot to think she will know how Jesus REALLY is (her words) in two years, or in any amount of time. Still, it seems to me the fires of faith within her may be tempering a bit, which I believe will be beneficial for both her as a person and her future art, be that Christian themed or not.

Still, those animals in the illustration look like they are on the run from something. Hopefully not a regime repressing Christians again. Oh well, maybe it will be just a nice and happy animal story. Just like Watership Down.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Linebyline

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2022, 09:02:55 PM »
Well the art is, as you say, up to Minna's usual high standards. And, seeing all those animals wearing scarves and pouches? The only way you could make me more intrigued would be if one of them were wearing goggles, too.

I love the commenter Augustin's suggestion of titling the new adventure comic "Going places, loudly."

I've been a Christian my whole life and the longer I live, the more I realize I don't know about my faith and the more I learn. I applaud Minna's eagerness to share her faith, but it really needs to be done through the lens of "here's something wonderful I've discovered that I want to share with everyone" and not "I've seen the light and now it's time to educate y'all heathens," the latter of which is an extremely common trap for Christians, both cradle and convert, to fall into.

So, on the one hand, there's no perfect time when you know enough to start sharing. On the other hand, she's definitely making the right decision by giving herself some more time to process before launching into her next religion-themed project.
- Simcha Fisher

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2022, 05:52:39 AM »
While I’m not a person of faith (I seem to be veering towards nature spirits as I get older) I agree with you Linebyline. I am sure one’s personal experience can be used in a “this is what it’s like to be a Christian”type of storytelling (note, A Christian) successfully, whereas “this is what it should be like to be a Christian” tends to result in a Chick tract. The former may well, when applied with wisdom, result in interesting and hopefully wise and warm stories that hold significance also for non-Christians. So, here’s hoping!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

dmeck7755

« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2022, 11:50:03 AM »
Well, it’s promising that she realizes she is not an authority in in theology. On the other hand it seems like expecting a lot to think she will know how Jesus REALLY is (her words) in two years, or in any amount of time. Still, it seems to me the fires of faith within her may be tempering a bit, which I believe will be beneficial for both her as a person and her future art, be that Christian themed or not.
I think the fact she is learning is always a promising thing.  I know many people who are really devout and they say it is a forever process.
I am going to view this on a positive note, unless proven otherwise.

Still, those animals in the illustration look like they are on the run from something. Hopefully not a regime repressing Christians again. Oh well, maybe it will be just a nice and happy animal story. Just like Watership Down.

I like Watership Down.  It was definitely a good "quest" story.  Looking at the faces of the various animals, they all look fearful or sad. (As well as many different ones traveling together.  I mean there are hyenas there, and a parrot).  I think it will definitely be some kind of "quest" story

"without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible."

-Frank Zappa

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2022, 03:11:03 AM »
A curious detail of the picture - there's nice use of contrasting colours in the chosen palette, and she mostly sticks to the values in that palette... except for the parrot.  Its colouring and plumage are different.  Hmmm, I wonder what it means.

Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2022, 04:43:47 AM »
I liked Watership Down, and was especially impressed with the growth of the relationship between Bigwig and Hazel, and the development of the concept that intelligence and compassion are as important to survival as is muscular macho heroism. And yeah, a quest story does seem possible.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2022, 06:23:15 AM »
A curious detail of the picture - there's nice use of contrasting colours in the chosen palette, and she mostly sticks to the values in that palette... except for the parrot.  Its colouring and plumage are different.  Hmmm, I wonder what it means.
I'm not sure what you mean by "different plumage", considering that there are only two birds in the picture, but yeah, macaws tend to play palette busters in RL, too. 8)

So, macaw (South America), magpie (Northern hemisphere), hyena, and possibly an aardvark (both from Africa). (Can anyone ID the deer species?) Plus, of course, various accoutrements of them being members of a technological civilization, so they might be as widely-traveling as those animals we consider domesticated in our world ... though OTOH, they're apparently not sporting any opposable thumbs to easily work those buckles.

I wonder why the macaw would carry a backpack? Would be a negligible additional weight for several other party members, and must do quite a number on the airworthiness. Something small but valuable that they want to see escape together with the bird, should the party get ambushed?
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2022, 09:14:21 AM »
Oh, this is more positive news than I'd hoped about her future comics, for pretty much everything you described, @Linebyline. I was bracing for the next bit of news on that front being horribly insensitive, and for the plans being a trainwreck in slow motion. Still not going to get into her personal testimony comic whenever that releases, since I really don't trust that to be any better than Lovely People and apparently insensitive Christianity is a thing I really need to avoid for my own health these days, but hey. Being around actual people seems to be a healthy thing for her.

I hope this new comic will be more like Animals of Farthing Wood, Redwall, or Watership Down, rather than something like Pilgrim's Progress or something based on Noah's Ark. Something super lighthearted like Danger Mouse might be nice, too! Could turn out pretty fun.
Am notified of private messages via email.