Author Topic: Upcoming new bunny comics i.e. Minna’s next work  (Read 26053 times)

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
Re: Upcoming new bunny comics i.e. Minna’s next work
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2022, 09:50:11 AM »
I think this is a question of personal belief. Because essentially the variants differ in some points in their interpretation of the bible and christian traditions. In my opinion believers should follow the variant of wich they think it is closer to some sort of divine truth,

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2022, 10:21:32 PM »
Dunno about Lutherans in Europe, but in Australia there is a whole spectrum of Lutheran sects ranging from the fairly standard set of Protestant beliefs to the serious one-true-way model, who among other weirdnesses forbid things like representational art, dancing, music and associating with members of other faiths, including other kinds of Christians.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Sc0ut

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2022, 07:39:36 AM »
Well, I for one am a big fan of autobiographical comics, so I will be reading Minna's despite knowing the author has a very different system of values than I do. Going into it knowing this makes it way more manageable. I assume there will be some (sadly) hilarious moments when I learn what sort of "depravity" she might feel guilty for.

I'll also sneak a peek to the following comic, mostly to see in what direction her understanding of religion evolves. I will however not be supporting them in any way, because I really don't believe the world needs more of this type of content in it.

Kevin_Redcrow

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2022, 05:46:23 PM »
It is possible to do an effective animal comic that isn’t revolting: Doc Rat and Footrot Flats spring to mind, also Digger, but LP seems to have been done much more as ‘suck innocents in with cute’.

Cheap Thrills
by SE Case aka vivisection_bob is an excellent anthro graphic novel in a real world setting. When Cheap Thrills began, the artist said it wasn't intended to be a "furry" comic. Animals were just easier for her to draw.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2022, 04:31:10 PM »
In today’s stream Minna mentioned that the next comic (the personal testimony) is a short comic while she spends a year or two planning the next long comic. So it’s not totally set yet. But the theme is set.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Sherval

• Super-Newbie
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2022, 04:18:16 PM »
Despite my announcement over at the comic's comment section that I'd abandon ship once SSSS is finally wrapped up, even I am morbidly curious about her autobiography. I know I probably won't enjoy it (at least not the way Minna intends it to be enjoyed), but still.

It's funny, that in a way Minna has gone back to her artistic roots. Or rather, WILL go back once she's done with SSSS. Back to publishing predominantly anthro art, the way she used to in the early 2000s when I stumbled upon her art for the very fist time. Back then, there were absolutely no human characters to be seen, either on her website or over at deviantart, none at all. Folks over here have brought up many good theories as to why she's decided to continue with this art style, whether it's because they're faster and easier to draw, because they're cute and suck people in easier etc. But perhaps, she might've simply missed that era in some way, either consciously or unconsciously. The simplicity of it all, after drawing more realistic (and therefore more demanding) art for years now. That said, the cute lure effect mentioned here is certainly an intentional part of it, no doubt about it.

As for expectations for this autobiography, I hazard a guess that the backlash from the Emil slur incident from adventure 1 might be mentioned, one way or another. Especially so, when even the afterword of LP talks about how "nobody is allowed to say or write anything "harmful" anymore" in Minna's doomsday vision for future. And if the backlash-thing DOES come up, I wouldn't be surprised if Minna writes it entirely from a martyr's perspective, how "everyone was being so horrible to me over a harmless joke."

Of course, there was undoubtedly whole bunch of vitriolic messages that absolutely were NOT okay. I've heard something about even death threats... was that true? Regardless, the way Minna responded even to the reasonable criticism back then was very childish and unprofessional, which in turn made me expect similar attitude from her later on. So yeah, if Emil incident does come up and Minna does depict her perspective as that of a completely innocent victim, well, I'll probably let out a dry chuckle at that point. One of many, no doubt.

One thing that I've also thought about, quite a few times actually, is that she doesn't seem to care much about professionalism in these situations. Or how lack of it might affect her business in the long run. Indeed, Minna even mocks the "fake apology" culture in LP. But really, had her announcement of LP been more considerate, without the sneak tactics or the condemnation of others, she might've retained some of her customers for book 4, even if they'd decide not to see her religious works after that. There's no telling how many customers she has actually lost over this though, perhaps not that many, perhaps quite a few.

But whereas with the slur case Minna was caught completely unaware, with LP she MUST have anticipated the backlash. Her condescending commentary on the page day after LP's release told as much. I got the impression the sneak tactic was in the naive hope of converting more people to her cause... But did she really convert that many, especially those who weren't already Christian to begin with? As opposed to losing folks permanently who could've supported her financially before she moves on to her next Christian works after LP? I dunno, perhaps she did consider that, but didn't care. Because coveting wealth too much is a sin, or something? And she does have savings for a while, but still...

Overall, even from the professional, financial standpoint (regardless of being considerate towards others for it's OWN sake, rather than over mere moola) her approach is just mind-boggling to me. But hey, I'm not someone who's experienced a major religious awakening, so what do I know ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2022, 04:47:11 PM by Sherval »
A chocoholic game nerd.

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2022, 12:04:55 PM »

Of course, there was undoubtedly whole bunch of vitriolic messages that absolutely were NOT okay. I've heard something about even death threats... was that true? Regardless, the way Minna responded even to the reasonable criticism back then was very childish and unprofessional, which in turn made me expect similar attitude from her later on.

Having been there for a while myself, I'd like to point out that when one doesn't grasp why saying certain things is harmful (or knows on some level, but perceive the impact on others as being much lighter than it actually is), it can be very difficult, if not outright impossible, to tell the difference between reasonable criticism and an excessive reaction. Especially when faced with a mix of both.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 11:56:30 AM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2022, 04:57:03 PM »
Of course, there was undoubtedly whole bunch of vitriolic messages that absolutely were NOT okay. I've heard something about even death threats... was that true?

I spent a lot of time reading the disqus comments when that happened and I didn't see any myself, though of course that doesn't mean there definitely weren't any (we can't know what private messages she got, for one). In fact I hardly saw any strongly worded comments at all, the people disagreeing with her were generally very polite about it, with a couple of exceptions that veered more towards sarcasm, not open personal attacks or threats.

As for the bunnies in the autobiographical comic, I suppose this allows her to stay as anonymous as possible without having to "lie" about people's appearance (after all she is a very private person, we haven't even seen a self-portrait this entire time, that I know of). Personally I don't think this is necessarily a bad choice, nor does it lessen the impact if used right - for an example of extremely impactful animal characters in a comic, see Maus (everyone should read Maus anyway). In Minna's case, the dissonance between her cheerful bunny art and the bleakness (imo) of her views makes for an unintentional interesting effect.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2022, 08:01:18 PM »
I think it tragic and very frightening that in America at present there is a move to get Maus banned. Read it and see why. In my opinion that tale is ethically and socially valuable. We should read it and pass it on while we still can. We are not yet at the situation depicted in ‘Fahrenheit 451’, but may be heading that way faster than is safe.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Sc0ut

• Tumblr
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2022, 10:11:54 AM »
I think it tragic and very frightening that in America at present there is a move to get Maus banned. Read it and see why. In my opinion that tale is ethically and socially valuable. We should read it and pass it on while we still can. We are not yet at the situation depicted in ‘Fahrenheit 451’, but may be heading that way faster than is safe.

Well to be fair America seems to regularly have these moments, and they usually don't go anywhere. It's important to know a small minority of people is pushing for this, so I don't think we should blow it out of proportion (while also not ignoring it ofc). I hope it will at least make the book more popular!

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2022, 07:20:01 PM »
They're trying, at this point, to ban it from certain schools. There's no attempt to ban it altogether, which would if nothing else run afoul rapidly of the First Amendment. And, as has been said, it's nothing new -- the libraries around here hold a Banned Books Week every year, complete with displays and posters with long lists of books that people have banned or tried to ban, and encouraging people to read them. I expect to see Maus up front and center in the displays this year; I know the local libraries have it.

Kevin_Redcrow

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2022, 11:41:30 PM »

Fortunately this is happening only in one county in the state of Tennessee. One the other hand, the justifications for the ban are beyond idiotic: depictions of a naked woman,  hanging victims.. Technically MAUS is a furry graphic novel, and Art Speigelmann's comic style tends toward the primitive. I own both volumes and I find nothing that would sexually arouse me if I was still 15, nor spark any blood lust.

The justifications for the ban strike me as a veil for a racist agenda.

A ray of light in this darkness; a professor of German studies is offering a free online course on MAUS open only to middle and high school students in that county in response to this censorship.

thorny

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2022, 10:45:08 AM »
And a comic book store near that school is buying extra copies and offering to lend them to any student who wants to borrow one.

This attempt at banning may actually considerably increase reading of Maus. It's now widespread news. In my area of upstate New York, Maus is currently checked out and/or on hold (someone's put in a request for it) at multiple libraries.

Tarnagh

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2022, 02:40:28 PM »
And a comic book store near that school is buying extra copies and offering to lend them to any student who wants to borrow one.

This attempt at banning may actually considerably increase reading of Maus. It's now widespread news. In my area of upstate New York, Maus is currently checked out and/or on hold (someone's put in a request for it) at multiple libraries.
Maus is currently also listed as a "Best Seller" on Amazon, for whatever that may be worth. People who ban books in the Internet Age, people who seem blissfully unaware of "the Streisand Effect" are really only showing kids what books they really should read. At that age, if I were told I shouldn't read a book I would go out of my way to find a copy of that book and read it. I can't imagine modern kids are any different. (Edit to add: And modern teens have access to far greater resources than my generation had.)

Not that banning books (and the reasons for banning them!) aren't awful. I just remain unsure that in the long term this is going to have the effect that they want.
It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll. I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul.

thorny

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2022, 03:06:27 PM »
I think the reason it won't have that effect, though, is that people are making a fuss. It's necessary to make the fuss; otherwise this sort of censorship creeps up on people, and becomes taken for granted; and then you're really in trouble.