Author Topic: Chapter Break Filler - Does a Bear REDACTED in the Woods?  (Read 32235 times)

Sevseres

• Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Chapter Break Filler - Does a Bear REDACTED in the Woods?
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2021, 12:47:07 PM »
Two birds in a wiiire...”

Thank you for your adorable animation, Molly.

Mirasol for some reason I cannot see your images, I wonder what is wrong with my internet 🧐 I shall see those mysterious blue haired people one day
native: :tr: okay: :gb: learning: :se: :fr:

HEY! my nickname used to be nefnef, dont be confused :p

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #76 on: April 01, 2021, 06:41:26 PM »
Molly, I'm blown away by your animation!

Great Blue-Hair Brigade, Mirasol!

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
    • Tumblr
« Reply #77 on: April 01, 2021, 06:53:22 PM »
*crying into her breakfast cereal* @Mirasol , that's amazing!  I didn't really flesh out these characters, but you certainly did, and placed into a GAG ORDER IMPOSED TO PREVENT SPOILERS
Team Leader discovers that you shouldn't make a threat unless you are fully prepared to carry it out, but fortunately Akka smiles upon them and lends them the colours of the sky for their teammates as a gift, not a punishment.  (nnooo, not the 'do you love the colours of the sky' meme)
You are very correct about the sketchiness of these, too - I actually didn't gift the leader with quite that cool of a hairstyle (the inside of the hood was only vaguely suggested, as was the hairstyle), but they look very very smart with your update.  Consider all of them canon.  As props for a joke (and the subtext which seems to have been sufficiently masked by the humour), none of these characters had names or backstories, so there's nothing to impede them gaining their own life elsewhere.

While I'm here, I keep my intrusion into the posting of the works to a minimum, but I am (as always) massively enjoying hosting your works. 
Jitter, I got a chuckle out of Reynir's confusion, but I also loved the evocation of the 'dawn chorus' of stirring birds, and then sevseres' audio on that score.  Utter marvel, the two of them together.  (shared the link of the audio with my daughter, and she loves it too)
Alkia's lovely forest and its happy traveller made me smile - both your and thegreyarea's poems fit so nicely.
Oh Grade E Cat, I adore missing scenes and totally canon back story!  I got a chuckle out of this one, all right.
I am always in awe of animation, and MollyVampiric, your gif is lovely in its simplicity.  Coming together, even if for a little while, sometimes is enough.
Róisín, you have outdone yourself with your tearjerker of poor old Möntti getting the relief we would all want for such an afflicted entity.  Together with Jitter's extra story, a fitting reminder of death as a vital stage in the renewal of life.  Then delightful moredhel further embellished Jitter's story with that lovely illustration, complete with Chekov's tooth!  All shall pass and be renewed again, even us.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 01:48:32 AM by wavewright62 »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2021, 01:44:23 AM »
Day 7:  (How to catch) Metsänukko

Speaking of moredhel's art, check out today's!  Amazing what some inspired 'farm magic' and a dose of UV can do?

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2021, 03:33:31 AM »
none of these characters had names or backstories, so there's nothing to impede them gaining their own life elsewhere.
OC at dead run: "FREEDOM!!!!! At long last! To let that hair grow right down to my ankles!"
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #80 on: April 02, 2021, 05:46:27 AM »
Moredhel, that is an impressive beast! Particularly the muscles (what’s left of them) look very good. Or rather, bad, like they should. And, while I don’t have a bear skull at hand to compare, the head looks... natural isn’t really the right word here? Looks like it should look!

Ok this turned out fairly incoherent :V What I’m trying to say is that you nailed it!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #81 on: April 02, 2021, 06:28:48 AM »
In this case special thanks to Jitter for convincing me to do this at all.

If anybody wants more details I have some versions with higher resolution.
You need a lot of patience for using these links, the upload works through my not so fast connection.
https://moredhel.is-a-geek.net/bear_better_res.png
https://moredhel.is-a-geek.net/bear_high_res.png
https://moredhel.is-a-geek.net/bear_insanely_high_res.png

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #82 on: April 02, 2021, 12:57:25 PM »
Moredhel, waiting for the insanely-high-resolution image to download was well worth it!
Loved the selection of muscles - just enough to make joints move. That's one solid-looking skull; I hope the marksman's rifle is pretty high-powered!

Sevseres

« Reply #83 on: April 02, 2021, 02:36:59 PM »
That's one cool bear! It totally looks like the real deal.
native: :tr: okay: :gb: learning: :se: :fr:

HEY! my nickname used to be nefnef, dont be confused :p

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #84 on: April 02, 2021, 03:10:12 PM »
There are so many great things in this thread that I had to take notes, trying not to forget to mention anyone (I might fail at that. If so, my apologies) :)

Jitter, your Pine Tree story is beautiful and heartwarming! As usual it shows your fantastic ability to make a great story from anything! And also as usual it makes me want more and more on that timeline and characters. :)

moredhel, thats one nice skull, with the right amount of changes to tell us its from a rash beast (I wonder how it would look while alive...) I bet you were already thinking on your prompt when you did that. :) And let me jump to your prompt to say that it's great! (and yes I saw the higher res. version  O_O ) I feel that some time was spent looking at bear's muscles and bones... I really like the tension in the result. Will they get the bear? Or it will escape? It's a kind of cliffhanger image. And that ring surrounding the beast? Is it magical?

Grade E Cat, one perfect story! I also vote that Lalli's belly sensibility becomes canon!

(BTW. Vulpes, I also have a close person that can be tickled at a distance, just by saying that while I move my fingers (I'm sure it's The Force). Now I must try with the phone...)

Molly, your witchcraft animation is fantastic! :) I wonder who's on the other side of the river, and how Onni got those wings (I know, magic, but how that happened?)
Oh, and the "sketch" is excellent too! I wish I could sketch like that.

Mirasol, one nice drawing that perfectly complements Wave's story! I'm curious to see your story and Maarika's part on it (also, diversity is welcomed!)

JoB, thanks for reminding me about that thread about Mikkel! It's been a long time since I delighted myself reading it! Also,well pointed that some characters would run as soon as they got enough freedom for that!
And sevseres, thanks for pointing that song. Very nice!

Uff! Hope I got everybody! Now back to my prompt... :)

( And thanks Vulpes and Alkia for liking my haiku attempt. Whats good on that may be blamed on Jitter. Her haikus started me on it... :) )
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #85 on: April 02, 2021, 03:20:20 PM »
I did google a lot for bear anatomy. The ring is magical. To kill something like a bear beast in my opinion takes as much cleverness, firepower and magic you can get.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #86 on: April 02, 2021, 04:26:13 PM »
Impressive bear, moredhel! I agree with Buteo, having just enough muscles for it to move makes it all the creepier.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
« Reply #87 on: April 03, 2021, 12:49:27 AM »
Day 8:  Moss and/or Lichen

I don't know about you, but having read through Vulpes' submission below, I appreciate these under-rated plants species even more!

Symbioses

Throughout the taiga, you will find lichen. It grows on every surface, from trees to soil to stone, and takes many forms. You may find broad, green patches like lettuce leaves growing on the trunks of birches, or leafy clumps wrapped around spruce branches, pale grey on top and inky black below. Shaggy grey-green beards hang in the shadowy depths, while on the forest floor a miniature forest of ghostly pale green rises from the fallen needles. In a clearing you might find a burst of colour, tiny red-tipped branches among the moss and sulphur-yellow crusts on a boulder.

“Onni…”

Onni sighed, but had to admit Reynir had been minimally irritating during the past hour or so, sometimes lending a hand as he strung wires between trees. “Yes?”

“These wires… you can tell when something touches them, right? But not exactly where?”

“Yes, that’s right.”

“May I try something? While you take a short break?”

Onni shrugged and nodded, and sat down, took a flask of water and some bread from his pack.

Reynir handed him a short, stout stick with a rune painted on it.

“I’m going to paint a few runes back in the direction we came from. Once I’m out of sight, touch this stick to the wire and see what happens.”

Another shrug. Reynir beamed, pulled out a brush and pot of paint, and drew a rune on the last tree with the wire tied to it. He backtracked along the wire to the previous tree and painted the same rune. He continued back, tree by tree, rune by rune, until he was out of sight. Onni finished his bread and water, briefly considered tossing the rune stick into the underbrush, then decided to give the foreign mage a chance. Some of his stuff had worked, after all. He stood, reached out and touched the stick to the wire.

It was as though a map hung before him, showing the wire as a sulphur yellow line and the trees as diffuse yellow dots. Between two yellow dots was an orange spot, shimmering. Suddenly it vanished, only to reappear a bit closer, then began moving along the line toward him. He turned, and Reynir came in sight, trailing one hand on the wire. His anxious look melted into a huge grin when he saw the look of amazement on Onni’s face.

“It works! I knew our magics were compatible!”

“How…” began Onni. He shook his head, and much to Reynir’s surprise, laughed.

“Alright, what other tricks have you got up your sleeve? Come along with me, and talk.”

The crusts, the blades, the strands, the upright miniature trees, the spikes and cups, all are lichens, and each one is an amazing symbiosis. A lichen is not a single organism, it is a commensal relationship between a fungus and an alga. The fungal partner provides the structure. What you see is made of a tangle of mycelia, the threads that make up all fungi. Embedded in this mesh are single-celled green algae. They provide food, through photosynthesis. The fungus also spreads its mycelia across whatever the lichen is growing on, absorbing mineral nutrients to share with the algae.

Tuuri was working late, transcribing a particularly fascinating book. Sigrun came in.

“You still up, Fuzzy-Head? You should get some sleep.”

“I’ll go to sleep soon, Sigrun, but I want to finish this passage first. I won’t be able to sleep for wondering about it, anyway! But shouldn’t you be sleeping, too?”

Sigrun scratched her arm. “Having trouble sleeping. This stupid thing itches, it must be Mikkel’s lousy stitches.”

They sat in companionable silence for a few minutes, Tuuri making notes and Sigrun staring out the window.

“Hey Fuzzy-Head.”

“Mmm?”

“You read lots of books. Any of them about medicine?”

“I’ve read a little bit… but Mikkel’s the one with medical training, shouldn’t you ask him any medical questions?”

Sigrun snorted. “I wouldn’t be too sure about his having any actual training, you know? So, this thing itches like crazy, is there anything I can put on it?”

Tuuri thought for a moment. “Hm. My mother used to put peppermint oil on insect bites, but we don’t have any of that with us. Oh! But we have oatmeal!” She got up and started rummaging around.

“Wait, I’m itchy, not hungry!”

Tuuri laughed. “Not to eat! Grind it up fine, mix it into a paste, and put it on the itchy area.”

Sigrun looked skeptical. At this point, Reynir came through the door. “What’s going on? I woke up and heard voices.”

“Oh, sorry Reynir,” said Tuuri. “Sigrun and I were just talking about itchy skin cures. We’ll try to be quieter.”

Reynir brightened. “What kind of cure are you using? I think I might be able to help.”

“Fine oatmeal paste, held on with a bandage,” said Tuuri.

“Oh yes, I can make that work even better!”

It was Tuuri’s turn to look skeptical. But Sigrun was willing to try pretty much anything by that point, so after the wound was covered with oatmeal paste and wrapped in a bandage, Reynir carefully drew runes on the bandage.

“My arm isn’t going to burst into flame now, is it?” joked Sigrun.

“Maybe we shouldn’t mention to this to Mikkel,” said Tuuri, “he might be offended, you know?”

The others concurred, Sigrun agreeing to remove the bandage and oatmeal paste before having Mikkel check her healing progress.

Early in the morning, Lalli returned from scouting. Mikkel had to let him in, because Sigrun was sound asleep. She slept on, through the crashes and bangs that accompanied breakfast-making and preparations for the day. Finally the smell of breakfast roused her, and she came out, looking more rested than she had in days. She made eye contact with Tuuri and Reynir, grinned and gave them a thumbs-up.

Through their mutualism, lichens expand their opportunities. Cradled in a web of fungal mycelia, the tiny algae can live where their free-living cousins cannot. And the fungus, fed by the sugars the algae produce, can set up shop on bare rock or soil, where there is nothing for its decomposing fellow fungi to consume. Together, they become more than the sum of their parts.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 12:51:04 AM by wavewright62 »

Buteo

• Ranger
« Reply #88 on: April 03, 2021, 02:09:19 AM »
Vulpes, what a talent for interleaving the SSSSverse with the natural history that we too live with! And illustrated with images that are as esthetic as they are instructive!

Maglor

• Safe-Zone Citizen
« Reply #89 on: April 03, 2021, 03:03:23 AM »
Hmmm... guess it would be a smarter move to make heroes actually use some fungal/lichen madicine and/or use those in whatever whichcraft they make. Without it I just see two stories, weakly connected to each other. The stories themselves are nice though.
Native: Russian.
Fluent: English.
Understandable: Belorussian and Ukrainian.
A bit: French.