Author Topic: Covid 19 - Updates from your zones  (Read 56038 times)

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
Re: Covid 19 - Updates from your zones
« Reply #525 on: September 23, 2021, 03:26:56 AM »
So am I. Both Yastreb and I are from military families and have family connections to the Shrine that are important to us. And I do not think I could forgive any rent-a-mob lout who desecrated the Shrine.

The lockdowns and mask mandates do seem to be working here. In South Australia today we have one new case who was in quarantine, seven active cases with zero cases in hospital, no deaths so far today. Begins to look promising. Now if we can just avoid superspreader events like those protest marches in Melbourne or Sydney….. I don’t mind wearing a mask and social distancing for awhile longer if it means we can open up more and sooner. I need to get back to work!

EDIT A FEW HOURS LATER: one of the people who desecrated the Shrine of Remembrance in Melbourne is now in hospital with Covid19 so this ‘protest’ is all too likely to become a superspreader event. Some of those idiots were throwing rubbish and urinating on the walls of the Shrine, which is to many of us a sacred site. Not respectful to our dead family members, to living veterans or to the general community.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 05:35:35 AM by Róisín »
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
« Reply #526 on: September 23, 2021, 10:36:50 AM »
It would seem that as I get older, not being a misanthrope becomes more and more difficult.

Yastreb

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • May her brightness be among the stars.
« Reply #527 on: September 23, 2021, 07:05:42 PM »
Knowing someone like Róisín is a cure for misanthropy.
"Life is all we are. Life is what defines us. In the end, Life is the answer."

Ruler of Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport.

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #528 on: September 23, 2021, 07:29:54 PM »
This is true.

Róisín

« Reply #529 on: September 23, 2021, 09:41:43 PM »
Blushes deeply and keeps on trying to make things better. I think that is the best way to deal with the world, if we help one another we may save something from this mess. We can all do something to help, even if it is just trying hard not to infect one another with this singularly annoying disease.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #530 on: September 24, 2021, 01:45:33 AM »

This is true.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #531 on: September 24, 2021, 04:47:51 AM »

So say we all
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

deadrose

« Reply #532 on: September 29, 2021, 06:22:08 PM »
Hear hear!

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #533 on: October 01, 2021, 04:22:49 AM »
The news about the mobs and the Shrine was infuriating. Just all around disrespectful. I think to most Australians even without a military connection the Shrine is sacred - I certainly grew up that way, and I was the child of two immigrants without any direct connection to it. I feel like it's unique in that anyone, regardless of how they politically or personally feel about wars and military and politics and nationalism, can find something special and respectful in it. Honouring death and sacrifice is unifying in that way.

As a bit of good news, though, I saw today that the Netherlands is aiming to donate 27 million COVID vaccines by the end of the year to the UN's Covax project, under the motto get one, give one. They've donated before to Suriname, Indonesia etc. but this is the first I've seen of a structural goal rather than just getting rid of vaccines that would otherwise expire, so I felt that was a good thing to see.
Am notified of private messages via email.

Yastreb

« Reply #534 on: October 01, 2021, 05:51:00 PM »
I haven't updated for a few days, and the news isn't good. Cases per day in Victoria have exceeded a thousand for the past three days, with the first deaths since 2020 (I think). In fact the death toll in Australia has grown by 400 in the past couple of months. After so long weathering the pandemic with but comparatively small cost, this is disheartening.

Add to that the fact that the spike in case numbers and deaths, and the consequent uncertainty about if we'll ever come out of lockdown ere the festive season, was caused in large part by the foolishness of those who claimed to be demonstrating for "freedom" but acted like disrespectful idiots, as well as those who chose to gather for celebrations over the Grand Final weekend... Gods and the Fates spare us all.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2021, 04:47:26 AM by Yastreb »

Opaque

• Scout
« Reply #535 on: October 08, 2021, 12:28:29 AM »
I don't really know what to do right now. It seems from the family group texts that most of my dads side of the family has become very anti covid vac/anti masks. The most outspoken ones are one of my cousins and my dads wife. They keep posting articles from conspiracy websites and "news blogs" and they've been persuading the other family members not to get vaccinated. Now one of my uncles wants to get everyone together for Thanksgiving. Obviously my brother and I will not be going but we'll be questioned why not. I really don't want to answer that question. About how uncomfortable everyone's attitudes have been making me. About how the things they've been posting are too one sided and often completely false. If I tell them how I feel then they might fall back on "Well, I read this or that on this blog" as if what's written on those sites are the only truth. I guess I should at least be thankful that they haven't gone down the "the vaccine makes you magnetic" route.
I've tried to talk with some of my other cousins but they don't seem to have much sympathy for the situation the world is in. They keep saying things like "If you want to feel that way, it's on you" or "Our family is healthy and handles covid well so we don't need to be careful" and they won't listen to anything I say. I'm afraid for my family. I'm afraid of the direction they're going and I don't think I'll be able to help them see my side of things.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #536 on: October 08, 2021, 05:37:16 AM »
Opaque, a very unfortunate situation indeed. And in addition to having to worry about them and for the community as it goes for Covid, I assume you are also worried about what kind of a rabbit hole they have fallen or about to fall into? I at least am very worried about what sort of weirdness these people can cook up.

You are right that it's no use trying to argue them out of it. Apparently opposition views tend to only strengthen the convictions in many cases.

However, as long as this concerns adults (which I don't of course know), it really is up to them. You can't make anyone see sense. If it would be possible to keep the relations with them alive, for example to agree to not talk about this, it might be helpful, to hold on to a normal life to return to if some of them start coming around. However it's not your responsibility to "save" them from themselves, or from Q. You can offer a hand but they must take it, so to speak.

It's easy for me to say, but you are also under no obligation to go to the family gathering. While it may feel bad to do so, you are entirely within your rights to just say, thank you for the invitation but I'm not coming this year, and then inform the asker that you will cut the conversation if they pressure you to go or to state why you don't want to go. I'm sure you know this in theory. I also know it's much much less easy to do it in practice!

As it is, I can only wish you luck, and strength. I hope their treks into the rabbit hole will remain relatively shallow!

Finland is lifting restrictions, although the case numbers are getting worse again. A bit over 80 % of over 12 year olds have had the first vaccination, but the second dose is lagging at around 70 % rate and is slowing. We can't really keep everything closed forever, but now again everyone is suffering from the decisions of these who won't take the shot - intensive care units are getting busy, which means various treatments and operations that would likely require ICU as after treatment will soon start getting postponed again.

Finland has just banned giving the Moderna to men under 30 ya due to possible elevated risk of inflammation of the heart. This sort of thing of course doesn't really help to put the anti-vaxxers at ease. Also my son has had the Moderna but he's fine so far.

It's still a mess.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Róisín

« Reply #537 on: October 12, 2021, 06:36:04 AM »
Another day of no community cases and no deaths here in SA. Let’s hope that when things do eventually open up we can still stay safe. The most recent cases have been interstate truckies, some of whom have failed to do QR checkins at service stations or cafes where they have stopped to eat or to refuel their trucks. I wish people would check in, because it makes tracing contacts and thus limiting outbreaks far easier. Unfortunately some of the Eastern states seem to be catching onto the idea that superspreader ‘protests’ are all about ‘freedumb’ rather than irresponsible self-indulgence. Makes life hard for those of us who just want to get out of lockdown sooner.

Yastreb

« Reply #538 on: October 12, 2021, 07:49:56 AM »
Unfortunately some of the Eastern states seem to be catching onto the idea that superspreader ‘protests’ are all about ‘freedumb’ rather than irresponsible self-indulgence. Makes life hard for those of us who just want to get out of lockdown sooner.

Tell us about it! With cases in Victoria almost reaching two thousand (I think today's was above 1,400) and deaths every day, the prospect of restrictions being lifted should look remote, but the word is that Premier David Andrews is considering a partial lifting of restrictions in two weeks. I would not be happy if he did, unless cases had dropped sharply.

I'm in double isolation at the moment, of course, because of my neuralgia (don't want to terrify people in the street or on trams or at shops). Fortunately that's eased, but AFAIC, the broader restrictions should stay until infections are much lower.

Róisín

« Reply #539 on: October 13, 2021, 01:35:17 PM »
Yastreb, I am glad you are still okay! Having had yet another day when I am finally getting to stop and eat and catch up with my messages and the Forum around 0400, I am about to fall into bed around now. I have been watching Victoria’s statistics with horror, having, as you know, kin and friends over there. Look after yourself as you can!