Author Topic: Covid 19 - Updates from your zones  (Read 56039 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: Covid 19 - Updates from your zones
« Reply #510 on: September 09, 2021, 05:39:11 PM »
My condolences about your relatives, deadrose. What a terrible rate!

We have some anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers and protesters here in Finland too, but despite great efforts they haven’t managed to ruin everything. At least so far. Now the government is planning to lift the restrictions as vaccination rates climb. We are nationally at bit over 60% of over 12 year olds fully vaccinated. The threshold for removing the restrictions is planned to be 80% fully vaccinated or the time when everyone over 12 would have been able to get their shots.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

deadrose

« Reply #511 on: September 09, 2021, 05:47:58 PM »
The dreadful thing this autumn is that with the schools opening back up, and the delta variant of the virus, so many children are getting sick, some of them quite badly. In many areas of the country, it's a very bad time to need emergency hospitalization, as emergency departments and intensive care units are full. One state (Idaho) has had to start triaging people and treating only the ones with a good chance of survival. The rest are "made comfortable".

Opaque

• Scout
« Reply #512 on: September 09, 2021, 06:53:49 PM »
I miss Seattle it's a great place (Very pretty too). Your daughter's must miss you too. Hopefully everything will work out for you. I'm so sorry to hear you lost some family to this plague. Oklahoma isn't doing well with people preferring to poison themselves over getting vaccinated. It's very disappointing to watch. They would rather their children go to school with out masks than protect them or other children from harm. There have been too many kids die from this and still people can't be bothered to care.
It's a shame people are so willing to sacrifice their neighbors/family/friends for their own stubbornness. We have a long ways left to go but everyone needs to stay strong and keep everyone else safe. Take care of yourselves.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 07:28:56 PM by Opaque »

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #513 on: September 10, 2021, 01:49:24 AM »
People don’t cease to amaze me. Frankly, I had thought (hoped) that the dewormer thing was something that a small group of crazies actually did, and became meme material due to the sheer ridiculousness of it. Even though I had read about it I couldn’t believe it would be so widespread! Thank you for enlightening me, although this particular piece of information is one that I would wish to be untrue.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Opaque

• Scout
« Reply #514 on: September 10, 2021, 09:47:16 AM »
Don't get me wrong. There is ivermectin for humans too. Of course some people are smart enough to use that instead of the stuff for horses (not that a dewormer will help against a virus). Still, many people have jump straight to the ivermectin for livestock. The fact that some people are so eager to use horse dewormer without thinking it through is, to be honest, frightening. Hospitals can't even keep up with their covid cases and they really shouldn't be dealing with these people getting sick too.
While I don't agree with them on many issues I also don't want them to get sick. Even if they're doing it to themselves...
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 09:53:04 AM by Opaque »

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #515 on: September 11, 2021, 09:21:18 AM »
For all our technology we are still not too far removed from bloodletting and burying cats in the graveyard at midnight.
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
« Reply #516 on: September 11, 2021, 09:40:03 AM »
For all our technology we are still not too far removed from bloodletting and burying cats in the graveyard at midnight.
Where else are you supposed to bury cats?

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #517 on: September 11, 2021, 11:22:03 AM »
I think it's midnight that is supposed to be the strange part.

Spoiler:  Technicality I happen to be aware of • show

Also, it's technically illegal where I live and one is supposed to have the body disposed of properly. The vet who put to sleep the cat I grew up with was explicitly turning a blind eye because my home has a few large flower beds that take up half the garden between them.
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

midwestmutt

• Scout
« Reply #518 on: September 11, 2021, 08:29:49 PM »
I think it's midnight that is supposed to be the strange part.

Spoiler:  Technicality I happen to be aware of • show

Also, it's technically illegal where I live and one is supposed to have the body disposed of properly. The vet who put to sleep the cat I grew up with was explicitly turning a blind eye because my home has a few large flower beds that take up half the garden between them.

It was an old folk remedy for warts.
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :chap17: :chap18:

LetsEatBees

• Preferred pronouns: She/Her
« Reply #519 on: September 14, 2021, 09:00:47 AM »
Over where I am some universities have made proof of vaccination mandatory for anyone entering.
Mine just had to be one of them, and I just had to wait to get vaccinated didn't I. :(
So my scheduled is going to be a bit confusing for a while.
Native: English
We're Looking Into The Future, Chuck
"Flammable undiagrammable sentiments Pass between animal beings"

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #520 on: September 14, 2021, 05:42:47 PM »
Mobile vaxx vehicles are rolling out tomorrow (heh, geddit? rolling out? jaaa okay).  Cute names are being mooted for this service, among them: Vaxi Taxi, Vax-In-Da Arm (a play on our PM, Jacinda Ardern), Jabba Cabba, Crusher Covid (a play on the nickname of the Leader of the Opposition, "Crusher" Collins), and my personal favourite, Jabber Waka (a waka being the Maori word for canoe but now in use in NZ English for any vehicle).

Have you got any good ones?
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #521 on: September 15, 2021, 03:08:33 AM »
Have you got any good ones?
For our similar efforts? Not really, they officially go as "niedrigschwellige Impfangebote" (low-threshold vaccination offers) and the nicknames need only a minuscule dose of originality to raise above that. Also, srs bsnss with our stalling vaccination rates (~60% now, ~5% outright unwilling, need to get to the remaining ~35% to reach a level sufficient to prevent another wave or vax getting made mandatory).

For yours? Weeeeeell ...
Shot in the Park(ing)
Riding Shotgun (how frequent is the term "vaccination gun" in English-speaking countries, actually?)
Drive-By Jabbing (OK, this one might prove contentious ...)
Needles 'n' Grins
Spritza Delivery
Flying Docs (might want to avoid that one where the real ones are active)
Keystone Docs
Yellow Carders
Strain Unsurfers ('cause they want to stop the waves, geddit?)
... OK, work just called with an outage, prepare for my return ... >:D
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Yastreb

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • May her brightness be among the stars.
« Reply #522 on: September 22, 2021, 10:56:41 PM »
The Anti-Vaxx/Anti-Lockdown factions have united to take to the streets in defiance of lockdown orders in violent protest over the last four days. The ostensible trigger was a compulsory vaccination requirement for tradespeople on building sites, but the ranks of the protesters seem to have been bulked out by elements looking to create unrest and foster violence, in the vein of the so-called "Boogaloo boys"* in the US.

The outcome has been violence on an unnerving scale, with many injuries and hundreds of arrests. Yesterday the protesters occupied the Shrine of Remembrance,** a memorial to the dead from all conflicts of the modern era, which led to widespread condemnation. The protesters had the chutzpah to shout "Sacred place!" at the police as they were driven out and arrested; fortunately no damage was done to the Shrine itself.

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boogaloo_movement

** https://www.shrine.org.au/
"Life is all we are. Life is what defines us. In the end, Life is the answer."

Ruler of Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport.

Opaque

• Scout
« Reply #523 on: September 22, 2021, 11:59:15 PM »
Oh, wow. Good thing those people didn't vandalize the monument. That would have been awful.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #524 on: September 23, 2021, 03:12:57 AM »
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15