Author Topic: Covid 19 - Updates from your zones  (Read 47518 times)

Yastreb

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • May her brightness be among the stars.
Re: Covid 19 - Updates from your zones
« Reply #195 on: July 19, 2020, 05:15:45 AM »
Stage IV restrictions are being considered for Victoria. In the meantime, from 0001 AEST on 23 July, it will be compulsory to wear masks when going outdoors. Current restrictions (Stage III) will remain until 17 August at the earliest.
"Life is all we are. Life is what defines us. In the end, Life is the answer."

Ruler of Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport.

ftmshepard

• slowing growing roots (more or less)
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
« Reply #196 on: July 20, 2020, 01:15:31 AM »
I was tested last week (negative, which is a huge relief, same with my family) but I'm constantly frustrated by how the US doesn't seem to be taking this seriously. (Which is where I am.)

On the other hand, the states I spend the most time in are taking it very seriously, but that doesn't help everyone else. This might sound strange, but I've been turning to a lot of stories about plague as a way of dealing with the uh. Plague.
know: :usa:/ :canada: || extremely familiar: :vaticancity: learning: :mexico: :brazil: ancient greek || know the alphabet: :southkorea: :russia: || wish I knew :finland:

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #197 on: July 20, 2020, 01:46:44 AM »
Yastreb, further restrictions are wise, I think. Good luck! I hope you are able to get some masks? At least Victoria doesn’t seem to be continuing with the foolishness of opening everything up ‘for the economy’ - that seems like a good way to not have a labour force when things can safely open up again. Take all the care you can, and hopefully you may be able to visit again when this is over.

Shep, it is good that you and your family test clear. I hope things stay that way! And yeah, stories about plagues are a good way to process these times, you feel less alone. Have you read ‘La Peste’, (‘The Plague’) by Albert Camus? Good absurdist tale of a plague in Oran. Best of luck with surviving your own plague - I hope the CDC gets given back a bit of control over the process.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Yastreb

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • May her brightness be among the stars.
« Reply #198 on: July 20, 2020, 04:17:13 AM »
Róisín, I was able to get three extra packets of masks, one of which I'm keeping in my backpack just in case I forget to don a mask ere I leave the house for any reason. My sister is also endeavouring to secure me a couple of reusable cloth masks, so I should be fine to get through this. See you when all this is past.
"Life is all we are. Life is what defines us. In the end, Life is the answer."

Ruler of Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #199 on: July 20, 2020, 07:51:46 AM »
Yastreb, I am glad for that. I worry for you. Your sister and her family are still okay? Good wishes for safety to her and hers, and to you.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #200 on: July 20, 2020, 08:51:44 AM »
It´s so good to hear that all of you are testing negative and have access to masks! Please continue to stay safe everyone!

Shep, me and my family too resorted to lots of pandemic fiction, especially in the beginning of corona-times. From what I hear, that seems to be a pretty common coping mechanism. We´ve especially been watching a lot of movies, like "twelve monkies" or "contagion" (though that last one I found more stressing to watch under our current situation than that it helped...).

An interesting (or scary, depending on how you see it) coincidence I found was that apparently someone in the eighties wrote a book about a fictional pandemic that would happen in 2020 and start in Wuhan. I didn´t read that book, nor do I remember what it was called, but yeah...
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

ftmshepard

« Reply #201 on: July 20, 2020, 01:20:43 PM »
Róisín I am actually reading the Plague right now! In English, since I don't have access to a French copy, and yeah it's been strangely comforting. I'm also reading through SSSS for the first time, and reading the Stand. (I read a lot at once).

Mirasol
Oh wow. I've heard about Contagion. What's 12 monkeys about?

To everyone: i'm glad people have access to masks.
know: :usa:/ :canada: || extremely familiar: :vaticancity: learning: :mexico: :brazil: ancient greek || know the alphabet: :southkorea: :russia: || wish I knew :finland:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #202 on: July 20, 2020, 02:08:07 PM »
A chilling but brilliant book if you want to enjoy literary plagues: Connie Willis’ Doomsday Book. It’s horribly great and greatly horrible.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #203 on: July 20, 2020, 02:24:42 PM »
Shep, "Twelve Monkeys" is a rather old movie (nineties I think, but not sure) I stumbled across when researching for a school presentation on post-apocalyptic fiction a year ago (the same presentation that made me find SSSS in fact). I think it got a remake recently, but I´ve only seen the original, back when the entire lockdown-thing started.

It´s set about 40 years after a pandemic forced humanity to live underground because the entire air was filled with the virus. Nobody was able to find a cure up to this point, the only thing they know is that the virus was unleashed by a terrorist organization called "twelve monkeys". In trying to instead prevent the outbreak happening in the first place, they send criminals back in time to research and find the cause. but the time-machine isn´t the most... precise.

It focusses less on the virus and more on the action around it, but it was a fun movie I think, even though not exactly logical. I enjoyed watching it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 03:28:16 PM by Mirasol »
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

ftmshepard

« Reply #204 on: July 20, 2020, 03:02:35 PM »
Oh, Mirasol, that sounds very interesting! Thank you for the recommendation.

lumilaulu

« Reply #205 on: July 20, 2020, 03:14:33 PM »
To everyone: i'm glad people have access to masks.
Heh. I was finally able to start my new job this month, after a three-month delay due to the lockdown. Got a welcome bag on my first day. Contents: a folder with information about my new place of work, a folder with information about the COVID-19 prevention measures they've put in place, a pencil with the organisation's logo to push lift buttons with, a plastic bag to open door handles with, a small flask with disinfectant hand gel, five reusable cloth masks, a plastic box for clean masks, and one for used masks.

I must admit I don't use the pencil or the bag, I prefer to use my elbow to open doors and simply wash my hands regularly.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #206 on: July 20, 2020, 08:24:33 PM »
<snip> a pencil with the organisation's logo to push lift buttons with, <snip>

I laughed aloud at this and startled the cat. Some of the measures being taken are... peculiar.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

lumilaulu

« Reply #207 on: July 20, 2020, 08:40:26 PM »
Yes. But then they did have to close for three months and even now, a month after reopening, only a fraction of the normal amount of visitors is allowed inside, with very strict rules, and most employees are still working from home several days a week. The masks are very useful for my commute (I don't come into contact with the public, and can mostly keep my distance from my colleagues, so I don't have to wear them at work most of the time), and pencils are always useful.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #208 on: July 20, 2020, 09:08:13 PM »
Yes. But then they did have to close for three months and even now, a month after reopening, only a fraction of the normal amount of visitors is allowed inside, with very strict rules, and most employees are still working from home several days a week. The masks are very useful for my commute (I don't come into contact with the public, and can mostly keep my distance from my colleagues, so I don't have to wear them at work most of the time), and pencils are always useful.

I was unclear, I meant measures in general. Other than the pencil and plastic bag, which are pretty funny, your work seems to be taking excellent care of you! But I keep encountering baffling procedures, like advice I recently heard from the provincial Health Minister. Someone wanted to know when they could resume their weekly bridge games. Under the current rules, you can have contact with 6 people outside your "bubble", so the minister figured playing bridge regularly with 3 others should be fine... but suggested buying a new pack of cards each week. Given what we know about the virus, this makes no sense - after a week the cards should have no viable virus left.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

lumilaulu

« Reply #209 on: July 20, 2020, 09:26:36 PM »
so the minister figured playing bridge regularly with 3 others should be fine... but suggested buying a new pack of cards each week.
Hmmm. Are you sure said minister doesn't have any stakes in a card-making company? :P

But yeah, you're of course right. I just wish people would take the sensible measures seriously. Infections have been rising here for two weeks now, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the recent relaxations get reversed again.