Author Topic: Covid 19 - Updates from your zones  (Read 50089 times)

Yastreb

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • May her brightness be among the stars.
Re: Covid 19 - Updates from your zones
« Reply #180 on: July 10, 2020, 09:20:43 AM »
I'm getting what I'd assume under normal circumstances would be a head cold, but these times ain't normal. No fever yet (that's if I trust my thermometer, though). I'm trying for an appointment with my GP as early as possible tomorrow.
"Life is all we are. Life is what defines us. In the end, Life is the answer."

Ruler of Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #181 on: July 10, 2020, 09:40:45 AM »
Good luck mate! Let’s hope it is just a head cold. Mine turned out to be hay fever, much to my relief, so I am okay to do the market tomorn.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #182 on: July 11, 2020, 02:56:09 AM »
If it can reassure you, I got a very bad cough in early Febuary (so bad it kept me up at night and I still had phlegm a couple months into lockdown), but my covid antibody test still came out negative.
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

thorny

• Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #183 on: July 12, 2020, 10:33:25 AM »
If it can reassure you, I got a very bad cough in early Febuary (so bad it kept me up at night and I still had phlegm a couple months into lockdown), but my covid antibody test still came out negative.

Not necessarily reassuring, but the tests do produce some false negatives. So despite the result it's possible that you did have it.

Here's hoping that whatever anybody's got it goes away quickly and without complications.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #184 on: July 12, 2020, 10:47:39 AM »
I got my pandemic hair cut yesterday! It was about time too, when the hairdresser asked me what I wanted done I said “Miracles” :reynir: :emil:
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Grade E cat

• Ranger
  • Headcanon firing in 3... 2... 1...
  • Preferred pronouns: her
« Reply #185 on: July 12, 2020, 02:33:03 PM »
Not necessarily reassuring, but the tests do produce some false negatives. So despite the result it's possible that you did have it.

Here's hoping that whatever anybody's got it goes away quickly and without complications.

I got better, and my mid-sixties mother who definitely got whatever it was from me (and whose complete recovery happened faster) came out negative also.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 02:36:13 PM by Grade E cat »
Native: :fr:
So much part of my life it might as well be native: :us:
Few and far between practice opportunities: :es:
A little learned during hardcore anime fan phase: :jp:
Only alternative to English in early junior high school: :de:

Do what cat. Lalli's way of life since age three.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #186 on: July 12, 2020, 05:12:52 PM »
I was sick a couple of weeks ago too, tested negative.  There is a dizzying array of ever-mutating coronavirus strains, and the current test is just looking for that particular one.  But each of the others has its own nasty little tap-dance to make on your system.  I'm glad you and your mother have recovered, Grade E Cat.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #187 on: July 13, 2020, 07:58:14 AM »
I got my pandemic hair cut yesterday! It was about time too, when the hairdresser asked me what I wanted done I said “Miracles” :reynir: :emil:
Spoiler: show

Hairdressers' standard reply to that is "sorry, ma'am, but we don't do decapitations here", but they usually just think that at customers. >:D
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #188 on: July 13, 2020, 09:11:14 AM »
Yeah, well, we are sort of friends as I've been going to him for... ten years or so? Plus he agreed :)

We came to the conclusion to cut very short and use a color close to my natural (what's left of it) so that if we get the restrictions back again, it can wait longer without reverting to miracles-needing state.

Finland is doing very good now, but with the global situation, we'll probably be looking at a second wave, or several. Recent news about how getting it only gives you short-lived immunity makes me wonder whether a vaccine is possible at all? Does anybody know if it's possible to make a vaccine that gives you a much better immunity than actually having the disease?

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Mirasol

• Ranger
  • Always do what cat!
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #189 on: July 13, 2020, 10:20:26 AM »
Oh no, may all those who live in areas with spikes stay safe and keep having negative tests!
(And on a more hopeful note, may all of your hairdressers make the miracles you hope for happen!)

Does anybody know if it's possible to make a vaccine that gives you a much better immunity than actually having the disease?

Hm. I remember back when I was in primary school, my entire family had scarlet fever several times during the same winter since you only get short-lived immunity from it, and we kept reinfecting each other. That was kind of a problem since each time me and my siblings had it we had to stay home from school/kindergarten for two weeks, and effectively stayed at home for over a month in that year. So to make that cycle stop we all had to take a medication that kept up the immunity long enough to not get it again as long as someone in our family still had it. That did work, so I guess it is possible to find a vaccine that makes immunity longer. Hopefully it is.

Then again, in the next winter, the entire thing happened all over again. It also ended with us having to take the lengthening-of-immunity-medication. But that was it, after that year we never got it again.
supposedly studying, most likely drawing…

fluent: :de: :us: sort of: :fr: learning!: :fi: I wish…: :it:

Proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

:squirrelcookie: Current Squirrel-cookie-chef :squirrelcookie:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #190 on: July 13, 2020, 12:00:37 PM »
Does anybody know if it's possible to make a vaccine that gives you a much better immunity than actually having the disease?
Giving a shot with vaccine simulates the presence of the germ to our immune system. Repeating the shots for longer than the actual disease takes to be cured simulates a disease that miraculously became much harder to get rid of. Our immune system is supposed to react to that in such a way that the final result, the immune reaction upon re-exposition, gets more pronounced. Which means that it should also take longer to be "forgotten" again.

How much that holds for SARS-CoV-2 and what length of an immunity period can be reached that way for this particular virus is still completely up in the air, I'd guess.

I would say that the current observations very likely are the coup de grâce for the concept of "immunity passports" for the convalesced, though.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Yastreb

• May her brightness be among the stars.
« Reply #191 on: July 16, 2020, 02:26:07 AM »
You'll be happy to hear that my test result was negative. I'm not letting my guard down, though.

"Life is all we are. Life is what defines us. In the end, Life is the answer."

Ruler of Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #192 on: July 16, 2020, 03:33:02 AM »
Good to know, Yastreb! Thanks for keeping us informed.

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #193 on: July 16, 2020, 03:40:20 AM »
Yay! Hooray! Be careful and lucky!
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #194 on: July 17, 2020, 08:23:51 PM »
Hooray for negative test results! Hopefully you feel better from whatever you have (a bad cold?) soon, Yastreb!
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05: