Author Topic: Covid 19 - Updates from your zones  (Read 47481 times)

DancingRanger

• Ranger
  • The forests surround me, and I am free.
  • Preferred pronouns: They/them or He/him
Re: Covid 19 - Updates from your zones
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2020, 10:08:13 PM »
Things here are pretty quiet. The governor here is trying to ease the restrictions on what can be open, like healthcare clinics and such things, but we're also going to be required to wear masks when out in public areas, instead of being recommended to. I'm happy for that, even if wearing the mask makes me anxious. I'm going to spend a few days sewing some masks for me and my father before the requirement goes into effect.

Profile pic made by this awsome lady www.porcelainbazooka.tumblr.com
Native :usa:
Little knowledge :germany: , :mexico: , :japan:
Want to learn :finland: , :wales: , and more

Chapter joined :chap5:
Survived :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10:

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2020, 06:01:47 PM »
Finland is starting to make a turnaround with the restrictions. Yesterday (Wed) it was announced that the school closures will end on May 14th (the date originally given as the end date when the closure was started in March) for the Comprehensive School (school years 1-9). As the spring term ends in end of May, there will be only a couple of weeks of school. For our family this would not have been necessary, but there is concern over children who have trouble following the distance teaching and / or living in troubled homes. Reports to Child Protection Services have plummeted during the isolation time, not because everyone is suddenly doing better but because no outsiders get to see what happens behind the closed doors in some homes. So some school before the summer holiday (10 weeks) starts is good to check on the kids and probably also to help teachers plan support classes for early next year when school starts again in August.

The restrictions will be loosened "gradually and in a controlled fashion" so we don't know yet what other changes there may be. Also the schools are supposed to be arranged in such a way as to make sure distancing can still be observed. However I don't think that's likely to work, there's not enough room in many school buildings as it is. Or the teaching hours will be cut a lot and half of the kids will go in the morning and the other half in the afternoon.

We have managed to flatten the curve quite well. The total number of confirmed cases is just under 5000 with 211 deaths. The numbers of people in hospital and intensive care have been going down for over a week now. So far it seems to work, of course time will tell what happens when we try to go back to normal.

Today is Vappu, the First of May (and the eve is the main event as for some reason the case seems to be in Finland). There was a lot of concern over whether people will stay in, but so far it looks like people are being really good. Almost no large gatherings have been detected. The limit on gatherings is 10 people, and in some of the most popular parks there have been some dozens of people, but not thousands as the case would normally be. The 1st is traditionally a picnic day, let's hope the quiet behaviour keeps up!

No other news on the loosening of requirements have yet been given. The ban on  large gatherings (rock festivals and such) i.e. over 500 people was extended until end of July recently, but no timetable as to the 10 person limit, which effects closures of e.g. cinemas, theaters, museums and libraries, is available yet. We haven't had ordered closures of businesses except for restaurants, bars and cafes, and that is in force still (until end June I think), only takeaway is allowed. Most small businesses such as hairdressers etc. have obviously taken a heavy hit, although I haven't been keeping tabs to see if they are mostly closed or mostly open.

Currently I'm more worried about Africa and the US, and of course the potential second and subsequent waves. Time will tell. It's not the end of the world, but it is an apocalypse rehearsal. Hopefully next time (and the next time WILL come) we will be better prepared!
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2020, 08:06:05 PM »
Newfoundland is getting ready to start loosening restrictions. As of today, each household may choose one other household to interact with. Basically you can merge your "bubble" with one other, neither household can visit with any others. On 11 May, provided things are still going in the right direction, a few restrictions will be eased, like allowing low-risk businesses like law firms and garden centres to open, resuming some medical procedures, and expanded daycare. They're doing more testing, so more cases will probably turn up, but with nearly 8400 people tested, there have only been 258 confirmed cases.

What has me baffled is that the town of Bonavista has been complaining that people from out of province and even the States have been turning up to look at icebergs. People entering the province from anywhere are required to self-isolate for 14 days, and only essential travellers are supposed to be allowed on the ferries, so how they're getting in, I don't know. And why!? Take Nova Scotians - they're just across the Cabot Strait, living with the same sort of restrictions, probably hearing news from Newfoundland just as we hear their news, and yet many of these unexpected visitors are in cars with NS plates. What would make them think it's okay to get on the ferry and take an iceberg-watching vacation? I just don't get it.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

thorny

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: either female or gender-neutral
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2020, 10:54:47 PM »
Newfoundland is getting ready to start loosening restrictions. As of today, each household may choose one other household to interact with. Basically you can merge your "bubble" with one other, neither household can visit with any others.

Wow, that sounds like it's asking for a whole lot of arguments and hurt feelings.

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2020, 03:30:35 PM »
Wow, that sounds like it's asking for a whole lot of arguments and hurt feelings.

"why you chose her bubble and not mine ?"  ::) This is going to be complicated... And who will keep track of all those bubble connections? And make sure that people stay inside their chosen connections? Sounds completely unpractical to implement.
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Crumpite

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Preferred pronouns: Hey, you !
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2020, 09:24:18 PM »
My wife's mobility scooter died last week and since I'm still weak from chemo I called the local repair facility.
The guy showed up this afternoon, gloved and masked and observing proper distancing !
It was good to see for a change 😀

If I read the equations and tea leaves correctly, we can expect to see another wave in the US starting in less than a month.
Most state governments are totally ignoring the guidelines for reopening.
Too many fortunes are being lost by following the rules, ya know...
I wouldn't mind it so much except my wife and I will likely die if we catch the rash (we're both in I'll health.) 

It's such a breath of fresh air to correspond with sane, intelligent folks on this list.
It helps me maintain my sanity, I tell you !
I need to stop watching so much news... 😱😱😱

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #96 on: May 02, 2020, 02:12:34 AM »
Awww, Crumpite, noooo don't diiiee. 

I am glad your repairer was onto it, though, often sole-trader types aren't as diligent.

Edit:  gosh the Prologue is amazing:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 02:14:06 AM by wavewright62 »
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #97 on: May 02, 2020, 12:28:06 PM »
Crumpite, do not die! I can’t stress this enough: you are not to die!

If I understand correctly you are in a fairly secluded spot? Can you get groceries delivered?

Please also remember that not even the old and frail always get the hard version. Now with your recent chemo the situation is worrying, but please don’t write yourselves off! You are probably in monitoring, right? Has the white cell count recovered?

I got very ill once during my chemo but luckily the white cells recovered fairly quickly after a few shots of filgrastim so I got back home after a few days at the hospital. After that I had to inject pegfilgrastim at home before each chemo (mine was administered as outpatient treatment, just a drip every 3 weeks for 6 times) and that helped. The shot I got at home costs over 1000 euro per shot, but I paid a couple of euros, and the taxpayers picked up the bill. I haven’t been one to complain about taxes even beforehand, but after the cancer I really am happy to live in a country with high taxes :)

Here are the mages who are putting several protection charms on you and your wife:  :lalli: :onni: :reynir:
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #98 on: May 02, 2020, 05:23:58 PM »
Crumpite, You are not allowed to die. No exceptions on that rule. Please be very careful and stay at home unless it's absolutely necessary.
Since Jitter already enlisted our mages I'll have a word with Reynir, so don't be surprised to see a huge stave draw around your house and a glimpse of a long red braid...
I'll also talk with Väinö to make sure that anyone without a mask that comes close to your house will be immediately bombed by a group of seagulls. :)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
« Reply #99 on: May 02, 2020, 07:03:39 PM »
Crumpite, You are not allowed to die. No exceptions on that rule. Please be very careful and stay at home unless it's absolutely necessary.
Since Jitter already enlisted our mages I'll have a word with Reynir, so don't be surprised to see a huge stave draw around your house and a glimpse of a long red braid...
I'll also talk with Väinö to make sure that anyone without a mask that comes close to your house will be immediately bombed by a group of seagulls. :)
Seconded. Also, just out of curiosity...

Spoiler: show
...what's the punishment for dying?

Mebediel

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her/hers
« Reply #100 on: May 02, 2020, 07:45:36 PM »

Errm, 1,000 pushups?

But yes, no dying = good. And reducing news intake at the moment is definitely helpful for reducing stress, even though it's still a good idea to keep an eye on headlines/local news :P

If I read the equations and tea leaves correctly, we can expect to see another wave in the US starting in less than a month.
If you asked my mom, she would say that's already happening in my city (she lives in a different state). There were 7 new cases yesterday, and today there are 9 new cases, which is enough of an increase to make her start worrying. I hope the increase nothing more than a blip instead of a sign of the start of a second wave, but I also hope that the second wave of the virus isn't nearly as big as the first one when it does eventually hit us.
Butter good.
Native language: :usa: | Okay at: :china: | Not very good: :mexico: | Working on: :vaticancity:, :england: (OE), :france: | Wishlist: :germany:, :iceland:, :norway:, :finland:, Shanghainese, Esperanto

:A2chap01::A2chap02::A2chap03::A2chap04::A2chap05:

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #101 on: May 03, 2020, 06:03:30 AM »
To RanVor: inflict sundry indignities causing those you left behind to suffer even more.  A specialty of despots and tyrants throughout the ages.
Fortunately, we have none of those types within this community. 

Well, unless you count wraparound good wishes to be an indignity.  It occurs to me that you just might.
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
« Reply #102 on: May 03, 2020, 07:05:02 AM »
To RanVor: inflict sundry indignities causing those you left behind to suffer even more.  A specialty of despots and tyrants throughout the ages.
Fortunately, we have none of those types within this community. 

Well, unless you count wraparound good wishes to be an indignity.  It occurs to me that you just might.
I must admit I don't understand. Could you clarify?

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #103 on: May 03, 2020, 07:33:45 AM »
Given the local fauna, you might get better deterrence from Sointu ...

Also, just out of curiosity...

Having to fill out a 4711 page questionnaire in a place where plucking one of the only writing implements around gets the head of administration mad at you.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #104 on: May 03, 2020, 07:40:44 AM »
South Australia has had no new infections detected now for several days, even with increased testing. SA has currently had 438 known cases for 4 known deaths, so could be a lot worse. Then, people here have mostly been quite sensible. Except for those 2 groups of tourists in the Barossa.

JoB, I reckon Sointu might be a good idea for those fools.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!