Author Topic: Covid 19 - Updates from your zones  (Read 50893 times)

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
Re: Covid 19 - Updates from your zones
« Reply #105 on: May 03, 2020, 08:45:04 AM »
Wow, that sounds like it's asking for a whole lot of arguments and hurt feelings.
"why you chose her bubble and not mine ?"  ::) This is going to be complicated... And who will keep track of all those bubble connections? And make sure that people stay inside their chosen connections? Sounds completely unpractical to implement.

Yup, you guys had the same reaction I did - there are going to be tears. Nobody's trying to enforce this that I know of, it's on the honour system. People have been pretty good, just the odd one like the woman who was arrested twice in one day for not observing the mandatory 14 days self-isolation on entering the province. There's a number people can call to report violations.

I remember a friend talking about the hell of Christmas visits - the two sets of in-laws would carefully tote up the time the family spent with them, and get really upset if they spent even so much as a few hours more with the other in-laws. And this was over a several days visit to each. Families like that are going to have a rough time.
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
« Reply #106 on: May 03, 2020, 08:47:06 AM »
 Crumpite, please stay well! We need your wry humour in these trying times.

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #107 on: May 03, 2020, 10:09:17 AM »
Yes, JoB and Roisín, being intercepted by a bunch of snakes seems way more effective than being bombed by seagulls. If you put an anaconda in that bunch it can be an even more effective (and definitive) mean of deterrence... :)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #108 on: May 03, 2020, 02:46:49 PM »
like the woman who was arrested twice in one day for not observing the mandatory 14 days self-isolation on entering the province.
I take it that she tested negative after that? Positive people playing fast+loose with their restrictions tend to experience more pronounced reactions ...

Yes, JoB and Roisín, being intercepted by a bunch of snakes seems way more effective than being bombed by seagulls. If you put an anaconda in that bunch it can be an even more effective (and definitive) mean of deterrence... :)
Erm, anacondas are South American, and Sointu is called "eyes of vipers" - for whatever that's worth (living in Finland, she certainly never had a chance to try her mental hand at boids).

I admit that I did not check the habitat maps of EDBs, WDBs, Timbers, what-have-you to see whether Crumpite is suitably surrounded, though. >:D

(... and let's not start discussing at length how useful extending one's sensory organs with the eyes of most snakes actually is for detecting problems at a distance ... being the "pits of vipers" might actually prove more useful for the purpose.)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #109 on: May 03, 2020, 03:30:28 PM »
Yeah, my understanding is that while snakes can see well enough, the view is limited.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #110 on: May 03, 2020, 05:19:19 PM »
My dear JoB, what will I do without your inquisitive mind checking the accuracy of my posts? I'm not being ironic, I swear! The other day I was working in that map of a cavern and you crossed my mind many times: "Limestone? Better check if it's possible in that area, or JoB may catch me! Solution cavern? Let's see if there are some nearby! Overall configuration? Better find some real maps from caves in New Mexico!" and so on. See, you are a positive force for me, and probably for many others. So, as Crumpite (and you, dear reader of this post) you are forbidden to die in the coming times, under the penalty of 1000 push-ups, as Mebediel pointed.
As for the Anaconda, we can always imagine that some circus or zoo near Crumpite has one, and that it escaped (what would be alarming if it wasn't under the control of a fictional Finnish mage from the Future :)  )

As for update from my zone, today Portugal ends its "State of Emergency" and steps down to "State of Calamity" :D
Ok, now that you stopped laughing, let me tell you that it means a lot, because some contention rules will be lifted, signaling a slow return to activity (just some kind of business, usually small) and, most important, that I'll finally get a haircut! :)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #111 on: May 03, 2020, 06:20:05 PM »
My dear JoB, what will I do without your inquisitive mind checking the accuracy of my posts?
... make a fortune as a producer of Tarzan movies?

(Tarzan is supposed to live in Africa, but the various movies frequently show animals like reticulated pythons (Asia) or piranhas (South America) to the sound of Kookaburras (Australia).)

So, as Crumpite (and you, dear reader of this post) you are forbidden to die in the coming times, under the penalty of 1000 push-ups, as Mebediel pointed.
No problem, our garden centers are open and should be able to provide the required plants. O:-)

As for the Anaconda, we can always imagine that some circus or zoo near Crumpite has one, and that it escaped (what would be alarming if it wasn't under the control of a fictional Finnish mage from the Future :)  )
If we have to employ a time-traveler from the future already, shouldn't we try to even out the effects on the timeline ... ?

As for update from my zone, today Portugal ends its "State of Emergency" and steps down to "State of Calamity" :D
Ok, now that you stopped laughing, let me tell you that it means a lot, because some contention rules will be lifted, signaling a slow return to activity (just some kind of business, usually small) and, most important, that I'll finally get a haircut! :)
Let me guess, public celebrations will happen once Portugal has worked its way back to "State of Mild Inconvenience"? :3

Hairdressers in Germany are going to reopen tomorrow, but are required to have various countermeasures in place - including "on phone appointment only" (reportedly all booked out for the next three weeks), "must include washing the hair beforehand", no newspapers or beverages, masks and gloves for hairdresser and customer, yadda yadda. I shall keep my beard trimmer close at hand ...
« Last Edit: May 03, 2020, 06:27:27 PM by JoB »
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

RanVor

• Ranger
  • Preferred pronouns: he/it/that thing
« Reply #112 on: May 04, 2020, 03:15:28 AM »
State of Calamity sounds way worse than State of Emergency. You sure it's not the other way around?

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #113 on: May 04, 2020, 07:19:32 AM »
... make a fortune as a producer of Tarzan movies?

No problem, our garden centers are open and should be able to provide the required plants. O:-)

If we have to employ a time-traveler from the future already, shouldn't we try to even out the effects on the timeline ... ?

Let me guess, public celebrations will happen once Portugal has worked its way back to "State of Mild Inconvenience"? :3

Thanks for the idea, JoB! I'll finally make some serious money! I'm imagining the next Tarzan movie featuring an epic battle between our jungle hero and penguins!

I'm glad to know about the plants, but you are still forbidden to die in the coming times (this disposition is automatically renewable until further notice) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prohibition_of_death

And yes, a state of mild inconvenience will be the returning to normal around here! :D

State of Calamity sounds way worse than State of Emergency. You sure it's not the other way around?

100% sure. Our State of Emergency was used for the first time in democratic regimen now, after 46 years. It must come from the President and voted in Parliament, and must be renewed each 15 days. It allows the Government to restrict constitutional rights like freedom of movement, or ordering companies to work even if their owners don't want to.
(We still have the State of Siege in our Law. That has an broader effect than the State of Emergency and is basically reserved (as implied by the name) for Alien Invasion War, allowing the State to take over control of everything it considers useful.)

The State of Calamity is far more common, and its used when a disaster hits an area. Two years ago it was used in many municipalities because of raging forest fires. It comes from the government directly, and does not need presidential or parliamentary support. However it does not allow restricting freedom of movement, for example, unless in very limited ways.
(But I do agree that a Calamity seems worse than an Emergency...)

Yastreb

• May her brightness be among the stars.
« Reply #114 on: May 04, 2020, 09:08:46 AM »
I'm imagining the next Tarzan movie featuring an epic battle between our jungle hero and penguins!

There was almost a Monty Python sketch that had like that scene... Scott of the Sahara.

Booming out of the pages of history comes a story of three men and one woman whose courage shocked a generation.
From the same team that brought you ... 'Lawrence of Glareorgan' ... 'Bridge Over the River Trent' ... 'The Mad Woman of Biggleswade' ... and 'Krakatoa, East of Leamington' ... comes the story of three people and a woman united by fate who set out in search of the fabled Pole of the Sahara and found ... themselves.
See ... Lieutenant Scott's death struggle with a crazed desert lion.
See Ensign Oates' frank adult death struggle with the spine-chilling giant electric penguin...
See Miss Evans pursued by the man-eating roll-top writing desk.
"Life is all we are. Life is what defines us. In the end, Life is the answer."

Ruler of Bartolomeu de Gusmão Airport.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #115 on: May 04, 2020, 01:46:10 PM »
Finland has just announced a number of measures to gradually ease restrictions, however most will be starting in the beginning of June. The limit on gatherings will be 50 people as of 1.6. (now it’s 10). Museums, libraries etc as well as restaurants and bars will be allowed to open on 1.6. as well, however distance measures will still need to be observed. Recommendation to continue working remotely when possible is still valid over the summer period.

The stricter self-isolation guidelines for the elderly are still kept although there is growing concern on how much damage to their well-being is caused by mot being able to uphold social connections.

On personal level I have contracted something, I have mild respiratory symptoms and fatigue. I don’t feel seriously ill, so no reason to worry! But current health advisory is that any symptoms of the respiratory tract should be considered potential covid-19. Hopefully it’s the garden variety.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #116 on: May 04, 2020, 02:58:42 PM »
On personal level I have contracted something, I have mild respiratory symptoms and fatigue. I don’t feel seriously ill, so no reason to worry! But current health advisory is that any symptoms of the respiratory tract should be considered potential covid-19. Hopefully it’s the garden variety.

Considering Finland numbers and that, as far as I know, you have been working from home since the beginning, I'd say that is quite unlikely that you got infected by that virus. Anyway, since you are feeling those symptoms, it's a good idea to be alert and take your temperature twice a day. If there's fever then I'd call a doctor (or your national support line - that's how it works in Portugal, at least) and they will probably arrange for you to be tested (probably in some drive-through, or maybe someone will go to your home). Otherwise just rest, eat well and enjoy the spring time :)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: Covid 19 - Updates from your zone
« Reply #117 on: May 04, 2020, 03:10:39 PM »
Yeah, but because of those reasons I shouldn’t have contracted anything! My husband goes for groceries and of course when walking doggo we sometimes come across people at less than 2 m distance although the likelihood of getting it like that is low.

Still, I agree, it’s likely to be something else. I have pollen allergies so this time of year I get something quite easily. Or alternatively there are much much more cases than we think, which also would mean the proportion of severe cases is much smaller.

Anyways I’m not worried. Should it get worse, I’ll be getting great treatment because we have managed to keep the numbers very low. The chemo I mentioned before was a few years ago so my immune system is back to normal.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
« Reply #118 on: May 05, 2020, 07:20:53 PM »
JoB, I have no idea about the twice-arrested scoff-law, she may well have never been tested at all - people coming into the province are to self-isolate for 2 weeks, but testing has been confined to those with symptoms. So unless she was symptomatic, she wouldn't have been tested. It's a problem with how they've been monitoring, we really have no idea of the extent of spread. I suppose the absence of symptomatic cases suggests there aren't scads of asymptomatics around, but realistically we won't know unless an antibody test becomes available and is widely used.

Jitter, I hope your ailment clears up! I got a grinding headache today and panicked briefly, then realised it was probably from having a couple remote meetings - they give me eyestrain no matter how I set things up. This is going to be a rough week, I've got a bunch of meetings, and the weather forecast is dismal so I'll be less likely to stroll outside for a break.

Apparently people couldn't decide who to create "double bubbles" with, and the health minister was grumbling about social media posts on the weekend clearly showing more than two households having various events. Still going ahead with certain low-risk stuff like garden centres opening on the 11th, but watching for a spike in cases in a week or so.

Lenny

• Ranger
    • Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • Ninja.
  • Preferred pronouns: My name. They/them.
« Reply #119 on: May 06, 2020, 02:16:00 PM »
Press conference today set forth a tentative series of dates where certain things will open, from 11 May until 1 September. Social distancing has no end in sight right now, though. All things opening are opening under the premise that there will be 1.5m distance between people at all times. The only thing opening up more without that restriction is public transport - still very much keep distance, but it's expected that in summer it will get more busy... so from 1 June everyone will be required to wear non-medical face masks on public transport.

And they're keeping the right to tighten things up again if there's even the slightest hint of the spread getting worse again. Right now the only things opening are things that need human contact to actually do, like hairdressing, massages, driving lessons etc. If it's not necessary to do in person it's still a work from home situation, and it's going to stay that way for several months still (personally I'm all good with that, I've been enjoying it). Things like restaurants and cafes can have terraces open from 1 June, and otherwise can be open from 1 July - in all cases only for reservations and at a capacity that keeps 1.5m distance, and after going through a "are you/have you been sick etc. ..." checklist.

It's been going ... pretty okay now, though. Numbers of new cases and deaths have kept below 100 a day for the past few weeks and the number of new hospital cases have nosedived compared to two months ago. Am hoping it'll keep that way.

The spring weather, the lowering numbers, and the slow ease of restrictions has me feeling pretty hopeful about the next few months - if the border opens up at the current date set for it we might even be able to get married in June \o/ (no wedding, just the legal ceremony) And apart from a few nutcases that like to blame 5G for everything evil under the sun the country seems to be holding up all right.
Am notified of private messages via email.