Author Topic: Chapter Break Filler - Planning and Organization  (Read 39862 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: Chapter Break Filler - Planning and Organization
« Reply #315 on: August 05, 2021, 04:45:59 PM »
And thus we have another surprise break upon us. Somewhat irritating. Can we throw something together? Sounds like it’s going to be a bit longer break perhaps.

JoB suggested faux info pages, which would be cool but seems a bit overwhelming as it requires both writing and art. Any other ideas how to do at least something?
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #316 on: August 05, 2021, 06:57:08 PM »
Ah, I was just looking for this thread!
As always count me in! I'd love the info pages, but it's indeed a lot of work on such short notice. I guess the best strategy is to choose a theme and let Forumites' amazing creativity do what it does most best: Create fantastic art!
Since this chapter was filled with fights, I dare to suggest War/Peace.
 Those that feel inspired by the constant struggle can choose War. Those that want a break from all that can let Peace guide their thoughts!
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Annuil

• Scout
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #317 on: August 05, 2021, 11:26:31 PM »
That’s a very great idea with War and Peace, grey! Though, I’ll be busy these coming weeks so I don’t know if I would participate that much  o_O
I’ll do my best. :lalli:

(Ps, man! So sad to see the amazing term “minnions” leaving us! I wish we were still called that… but I understand why it’s this way, it’s fine  :) :onni: )
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 11:29:13 PM by Annuil »
Native:🇷🇺
Fluent:🇺🇸(🇬🇧)
Can say some phrases:🇫🇷🇩🇰
Learning:🇫🇮🇸🇪🇪🇸
Want to learn: 🇮🇸🇩🇪🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #318 on: August 06, 2021, 04:09:09 AM »
I like the suggestion War / Peace!

Could you make an opening post on the Events board on the lines of the previous surprise chapter break, just calling people to participate?

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #319 on: August 06, 2021, 05:11:02 AM »
I like the suggestion War / Peace!

Could you make an opening post on the Events board on the lines of the previous surprise chapter break, just calling people to participate?
Sure! It won't be that good, but I'll try. :)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #320 on: August 06, 2021, 05:36:51 AM »
Done! @Jitter
I also posted an invitation w/ the link on Disqus ;)
Now to work!

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #321 on: August 06, 2021, 08:26:48 PM »
I would like to join in if I can.
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #322 on: August 06, 2021, 08:45:21 PM »
Róisín, and we would love you to join! So, a win-win at its best!

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #323 on: August 07, 2021, 03:56:28 AM »
I have a peace themed Idea. Will take one or two days to finish it.

moredhel

• Ranger
    • DeviantArt
  • Preferred pronouns: happy with any of them except it
« Reply #324 on: August 08, 2021, 05:44:54 PM »
Is there any specific order, or do i just post my work when it is finished?

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #325 on: August 08, 2021, 07:10:57 PM »
Is there any specific order, or do i just post my work when it is finished?
@moredhel No, there's no order because we didn't had time to organize. So you just post when it's ready. And thanks for contributing!
 :)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #326 on: September 06, 2021, 03:31:25 PM »
Now that we got the Events Board open for everyone, I moved the planning thread here too.

Also a bit of info. I attended the stream once in a blue moon the day before yesterday and made enquiries. There should be at least a couple of months to go before next break (and I didn’t think we were close yet anyways).

I also asked Minna is she could give advance warning. She said that she’s surprised herself too with arriving to end of chapter lately, but promised she will try to remember to indicate approaching breaks. She said she hadn’t realized we are “still” doing the break fillers and that now when she knows she’ll endeavor to get a warning to us :) I think she may have even said she was sorry for not having done this.

So perhaps for the next break, sometime in November perpetual, we’ll be able to have a proper Chapter Break Filler Thing.

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #327 on: September 07, 2021, 11:00:43 PM »
November, eh?  Hmm, coming between YoinkTober and Advent Calendar seasons, will that be a stretch? 
Maybe a series of re-runs? No, wait, I'm serious - there is some gold in them thar archives.  Maybe we can endeavour to contact original creators for permission to highlight these again for a newer audience?

Looking further ahead, we did not do a Secret Santa last year, do we want to revive it for this year?  In truth, participation had been declining.  One or two folk came out of the woodwork for the Advent Calendar when they realised the SS wasn't running. 
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #328 on: September 08, 2021, 08:30:05 AM »
November, eh?  Hmm, coming between YoinkTober and Advent Calendar seasons, will that be a stretch? 
Maybe a series of re-runs? No, wait, I'm serious - there is some gold in them thar archives.  Maybe we can endeavour to contact original creators for permission to highlight these again for a newer audience?

Looking further ahead, we did not do a Secret Santa last year, do we want to revive it for this year?  In truth, participation had been declining.  One or two folk came out of the woodwork for the Advent Calendar when they realised the SS wasn't running.

I think it'd be nice to do a Secret Santa this year, if we're able. We do have several new faces here, so we should be able to get enough participation to run one. I can probably organise it - after my exams are finished in mid-November, I'll certainly have time to spare.

I don't think I'd be able to be much help organising anything in early November, though, as that's right in my final exams, so I don't think I have much to say on whether a proper Chapter Break Filler can be run next round. By the way, thank you guys so much for organising all the Chapter Break events this year!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #329 on: September 08, 2021, 08:52:18 AM »
Yeah, Secret Santa kind of works with more or less people as you get as many works as you have receivers :) (provided everyone sticks to their commitment). If we are running low on participants, I feel like the Advent Calendar may be harder as there are (at least...) 24 works to go.

On the other hand, the Advent Calendar would perhaps be easiest to supply with some Golden Oldies, as Christmas / Yule -related works are the focus every year. Also the oldest Advent Calendars are a lot older than the oldest Chapter Break Fillers.

So, what I'm getting at, would probably be the following suggestion:
- run YoinkTober
- when chapter break timing is known, find out whether the drive is there to go through with it "properly", if not, choose a substitute (substitutes include: combine into YoinkTober; reruns; improvized small works; other, please specify)
- run Secret Santa
- run Advent Calendar with the understanding that works from previous years will be used to supplement new works, to avoid putting pressure on anyone to promise more works than they feel comfortable with

If announcing any of these events it becomes evident that there won't be enough creators, it can be canceled or done as a partial (with the exception of SS, but that, as already mentioned, sort of resizes itself).