Author Topic: Chapter Break Filler - Planning and Organization  (Read 39745 times)

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
Re: Chapter Break Filler - Planning and Organization
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2020, 10:15:09 PM »
I vote for flexible posting times - midnight Forum time was adopted solely for *my* benefit doing the Advent Calendar, as that's early evening, just after work for me!  It was never a hard and fast time, and in fact it allowed me several hours in my evening if someone needed a skosh extra time or if I had overtime at work (which happens a lot in December).
The tracking system I've always used was reasonably informal in a private spot, with
a) the days/prompts laid out, then
b) assignments filled in (or marked as 'pencilled' if uncertain) as desired, then
c) date reminder was sent out, then overwritten with
d) response data from participant, then overwritten with
e) update, either another communication or confirming submission.
In case of withdrawal and pinch-hit, I wouldn't overwrite the original assignment, just strikethrough, then record who I'd offered the pinch-hit to and proceed as normal.
The tracking would have to be moved to something like a shared folder.

I have the posts lined up in the private spot, complete with Forum formatting commands, available to cut'n'paste the post from my phone if needed.  (Then I format the linkie "doors" but that's not necessary here.)

Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2020, 05:19:50 AM »
Yeah, I think the idea of having a flexible timeslot as opposed to a specific time of day is a good one. My timezone's opposite to forum time, so midnight forum time is in the middle of the day for me - fine if I'm at home all day practicing social distancing, but not so good for ordinary times! As far as I know, none of the people who've mentioned being willing to help live in America, so it'd be mainly European, Australian and New Zealand timezones we'd have to work with when coming up with a timeslot - maybe we should have a longer slot, like 6 hours, to allow for more flexibility?

Jitter, your idea of people being able to post their pieces themselves with a uniform header sounds pretty interesting. If we did go down that path, we might want to put up the header and the timeslot on the forum, and then people could opt for posting it themselves or letting us post, depending on what suited them (we'd also need to record who'd chosen what option). That option could get tricky if people forgot to post, though, or posted late.

Grey, yes, I do think it'd be good to have just one person for some of the tasks (for sending reminders, especially) - it'd be tricky otherwise to co-ordinate who'd been reminded and who hadn't.

And Wave, thank you for all the organisational insight! Yes, in hindsight it would definitely be good to format the posts before the time of posting (I did not think of that). And your tracking system sounds like a very good idea.
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2020, 03:44:34 PM »
Heads up all! There are “not that many” pages left in the chapter! Minna said today “enough to not be over by Midsummer”, which is only a week from now. So we should start planning now, if we want to do this again.

As Keep is busy with studies, I’ll give her a hand and invite everyone to first of all suggest a theme for the prompts! I think people liked the way the prompts were sort of related the last time.
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2020, 04:25:36 PM »
Heads up all! There are “not that many” pages left in the chapter! Minna said today “enough to not be over by Midsummer”, which is only a week from now. So we should start planning now, if we want to do this again.

As Keep is busy with studies, I’ll give her a hand and invite everyone to first of all suggest a theme for the prompts! I think people liked the way the prompts were sort of related the last time.

Well thought! I'd suggest "The Circle of Life" or "Food Chain" or "Forest" or even "Out of the frying pan into the fire", since that seems to be what our heroes mostly did this chapter :D

And thanks for remembering this. Of course I'm here to help in any way on the organization.
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Róisín

• Traveller on the Bird's Path
  • Elder of the Ruined Realm
« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2020, 05:43:51 PM »
Sounds good. Maybe we could do something with concepts like ‘the unexpected’?
Avatar is courtesy of the amazing Haiz!

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2020, 06:14:46 PM »
Can we come up with 15 or so prompts for any of these?

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Vulpes

• Ranger
  • Multa novit vulpes
  • Preferred pronouns: Anything used with affection or respect
« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2020, 07:38:24 PM »
Lateral thinking on "circle of life" with a glass of wine in hand:
1. Birth
2. Growth
3. Smile
4. Crawl
5. Walk
6. Discover
7. Err
8. Family
9. Loss
10. Support
11. Contentment
12. Aged
13. Death
14. Decay
15. Rebirth

No idea if these would be workable or if they even make sense, but here they are and at the very least they may inspire someone to come up with better ideas!
Native: :ca:   Mostly gone: :fr:   A smattering: :de:   Learning!! :fi:

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2020, 08:38:01 PM »
I like Vulpes suggestions.
Maybe we could add something about mating/flirting, and also about offspring and teaching (in the sense of passing knowledge to the next generation)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

Róisín

« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2020, 10:14:37 PM »
Nice ideas. Maybe something about how no matter how much life repeats itself, the new stage always takes us by surprise.

Keep Looking

• Bragi
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her, they/them
« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2020, 10:16:28 PM »
Thanks so much Jitter for noticing and getting things started! I certainly am busy with studies right now - I've got five exams this week (aah!). It'll be over by Friday, though, so I'm looking forwards to joining the preparations then. These prompts look really neat!
I write poetry sometimes.

Icon by the amazing Rithalie from the SSSS discord (rithalie-art.tumblr.com)

Ruler of Changi Airport

wavewright62

• Valkyrie
  • Conqueror of an Abandoned City
    • Tumblr
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #100 on: June 14, 2020, 04:58:36 AM »
I'm happy with those prompts, those should give us plenty to get our heads around.  Thanks to Jitter for getting this going!
Always a newbie at something
Native speaker: :us:
Acquired: :nz:
Grew up speaking but now very rusty: :ee:

Ruler of Queenstown Airport (Thanks Purple Wyrm, I will wear my wings with pride)
Admiral of the Sunken Rainbow Warrior

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #101 on: June 14, 2020, 05:17:10 AM »
Good! That’s settled then! But I’m with grey in that a couple more in the human / family life stages could be added. And do we want to keep “decay”? It’s part of the circle of life certainly, but not necessarily very uplifting :)

Oh and Minna was talking about summer holiday so the break may be longer than the two weeks so maybe we’ll just add a couple more?

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #102 on: June 14, 2020, 06:09:42 AM »
So here’s an extended version on Vulpes’ excellent suggestion:

1. Birth
2. Growth
3. Smile
4. Crawl
5. Walk
Playtime!
6. Discover
Learning
Child
7. Err
Young love
Heartbreak
8. Family
Sharing of knowledge
In you I see myself
9. Loss
10. Support
11. Contentment
12. Aged
13. Death
14. Decay
15. Rebirth

I didn’t change the numbering yet, I added 7 so that would make 22 which probably is enough even for a summer holiday break. And with potentially extra prompts it doesn’t matter if a couple of them don’t get taken at all. If, against expectation, the break will be longer than three weeks, we can add further prompts after the timetable is established because the creators of the late prompts would still have plenty of time.

How do we like this? It seems like a good theme and is definitely in keeping with the events of Adventure 2, if not necessarily the current chapter. Thank you Vulpes for an excellent suggestion!

Róisín

« Reply #103 on: June 14, 2020, 06:46:13 AM »
Good prompt list. Are you taking enrolments yet?

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #104 on: June 14, 2020, 07:00:27 AM »
Not yet but I think soon. Let’s wait a bit more for comments and possible changes or additions?

It’s early afternoon here in Finland now, I’ll open enrollment late tonight until something comes up to change that. However if you are set on something already, send me a PM?