Author Topic: SSSS Monopoly game  (Read 17495 times)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • JOE guardian, SS Kuru keeper, Finn with some magic
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her, they/their
Re: SSSS Monopoly game
« Reply #120 on: March 14, 2020, 10:32:31 AM »
I’m thinking that the item cards should have an image on the text side so that it’s easy to see who is holding whar. If I select the images can you do the editing?

What do you think about Dream World cards that have monetary effect? Because money is the way we keep score here. Such as:

Vision of prosperity
Your fylgja indicates a place for you. Checking it you find an ancient tome. Collect 50 kr.

A non-monetary one: Scary reef place. You must turn back. Go backwards 2 spaces.

(Don’t worry, I’ll collect these into a list like the other cards)
🇫🇮 🇬🇧 🇸🇪 🇫🇷 (🇩🇪)(🇯🇵)((🇨🇳))

:A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

thegreyarea

• Skald
  • Ruler of a Derelict Airport
  • Proud Guardian of Cabo Ruivo Seaport (Lisbon)
« Reply #121 on: March 14, 2020, 07:22:00 PM »
I’m thinking that the item cards should have an image on the text side so that it’s easy to see who is holding whar. If I select the images can you do the editing?

What do you think about Dream World cards that have monetary effect? Because money is the way we keep score here. Such as:
Sure! Sounds like a good idea! And I'll do all the editing we may need, with pleasure! :) (and if you select the images you are already making the work a lot easier).

I see no problem in the monetary effect. It's a way to make the card have a consequence in the game, as valid as moving three steps backward.

I'm working on that idea to replace the tax squares that would be on Norway and Finland. I'll try to get it ready today or tomorrow (Sunday) morning. :)
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

proud member of the Sigrun Eide for God-Emperor of the Universe Society

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #122 on: March 14, 2020, 09:39:21 PM »
Hi! I managed to advance two small steps :)

First, I corrected the Oresund Base card again, reducing saturation (now 20% less then the original) and brightness (10% less). Jitter, does this now look ok or you think it needs to go down a little more?

Second comes the new "company" that would replace the "tax" square in Norway. We have very little on Y90 Norway, but we do have the scene when Sigrun is in a party. So I created this "Dalsnes Feast Hall" card, with the text prompting the player to "Party like a viking!" That, however, implies paying some rounds to everybody! And that costs money. How much? Depends on how much drunk the player gets! So the dice rolls and gets multiplied by 10 (or more, or less, we will have to find out...)

(I think it's funny to have Trond saying that, but if you don't like the balloon I can remove it. Just tell me)

So, here they are. I hope everyone likes. And now to the Finnish "tax" replacement! :)

I'll put both on our project dropbox. Butter good!
Chapter break survivor: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:
Languages: :pt: :br: Capable: :gb: Can read and survive: :es: Knows a bit: :fr: :it:

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #123 on: March 15, 2020, 02:13:05 PM »
Hi, again!

Three more steps today :) (so far...)
Three more company cards: Saimaa Canal, Krabben Line and Sveavägen Railway. Krabben was harder because the boat image is very horizontal, so I tried to mix it with a part of Norway, from the Known World Map, as Jitter suggested. I like the result. :)

But now I'd like to know if you like it, and any suggestions. Later I'll try to do the remaining cards.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #124 on: March 15, 2020, 05:18:58 PM »
I think the Base is good now. We don’t want to go far from the original I think. And the Feast Hall is great, both as a concept and as the illustration you made.

Of the transports the Saimaa Canal and Sveavagen are also great, I would leave them as is. But I thought we ditched Krabben Line? Or is your idea that Krabben also does the coastal ferry service in Norway? I would just call it Coastal Ferry (or Hurtigruten) and use only the map for it, to indicate it means the service that is the main transportation system in Norway (we haven’t specifically been told this but I’m sure it is the case).

Proud ruler of Joensuu Airport, Admiral of S/S Kuru on the Finnish lake systems. Also the Water Mother.

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #125 on: March 15, 2020, 07:36:05 PM »
All looks fantastic Grey! The Feast Hall is particularly great ;D

The idea was indeed raised that the Krabben line does coastal transport for Norway. I'm happy with it, but open to other opinions.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #126 on: March 16, 2020, 04:47:57 AM »
I think the Base is good now. We don’t want to go far from the original I think. And the Feast Hall is great, both as a concept and as the illustration you made.

Of the transports the Saimaa Canal and Sveavagen are also great, I would leave them as is. But I thought we ditched Krabben Line? Or is your idea that Krabben also does the coastal ferry service in Norway? I would just call it Coastal Ferry (or Hurtigruten) and use only the map for it, to indicate it means the service that is the main transportation system in Norway (we haven’t specifically been told this but I’m sure it is the case).
I thought that we would use the Krabben Line as the company that provides the coastal ferry service (which is plausible) to employ an image recognizable by all readers and not only the map. But the map (that we all love) also works. I did a version with only the map, using the ship just as a decorative element. Later we can choose which we use.

I'm glad that you like the others. :) BTW I saw your message in the moment you posted, but I was soooo sleepy that I was unable to make the Coastal Ferry immediately... I haven't even seen Minna's update yet...

All looks fantastic Grey! The Feast Hall is particularly great ;D

The idea was indeed raised that the Krabben line does coastal transport for Norway. I'm happy with it, but open to other opinions.

Thanks! I also loved the idea, and I'm trying to make something on the same line for Finland. I was thinking on "Fishing in Saimaa" (or "Saimaa Fishing") and using that image where Lalli meets the fishing supplies man, on page 93.

What do you, and Jitter, think of it? I'm open to suggestions.

BTW I now bookmarked the delicious "The Lovecraft Engine" and go there every day to get a sweet new description! :)

Purple Wyrm

• The Bombay Sausage of 2018!
  • Preferred pronouns: He/Him/Dat Fing
« Reply #127 on: March 16, 2020, 07:32:50 AM »
BTW I now bookmarked the delicious "The Lovecraft Engine" and go there every day to get a sweet new description! :)

Glad you like it! I must get around to updating it for modern screen sizes and devices.
Native :australia:
Fluent :newzealand: :uk: :usa: :canada: (Yes, I realise that's cheating)
Might remember some in an emergency :italy:
Understands the concept, just not the specifics :vaticancity:

:chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21:

:A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

⁂ Iron fisted ruler of Caversham Airfield ⁂ Sigrun isn't immune, t

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #128 on: March 16, 2020, 05:29:30 PM »
Second comes the new "company" that would replace the "tax" square in Norway. We have very little on Y90 Norway, but we do have the scene when Sigrun is in a party. So I created this "Dalsnes Feast Hall" card
(FWIW, we do have Word of God that the Norwegians are the shipwrights of the Known World, so quite a lot of the ships in the comic should have some relation to Norway and we can rest assured that they have shipyards, if you insist on an actual company.)
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #129 on: March 16, 2020, 08:32:11 PM »
(FWIW, we do have Word of God that the Norwegians are the shipwrights of the Known World, so quite a lot of the ships in the comic should have some relation to Norway and we can rest assured that they have shipyards, if you insist on an actual company.)
Thanks! I think I heard that, but I don't remember when. It can be useful...
Anyway, when I call it a "company" the objective is to differentiate from a "property", meaning that those places on the board work more like the "railway" or "water" companies on the original Monopoly. So it wouldn't need to be a proper company. We still have to think about the rules for that :)

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #130 on: March 17, 2020, 11:15:51 AM »
I prefer the “coastal ferry” with just the map, because the only known route for Krabben is between Reykjavik and Bornholm. But both are fine! It is quite possible they could do that as well, although in that case it would probably be a Norwegian company (no reason to think it couldn’t be). There are also a number of ships looking like longships in the background around the first part of Adventure 1 is you want to add a ship on the image, however those are not named.

Or, one of those could be used as picture for a Shipyard company!

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2020, 08:42:42 PM »
I prefer the “coastal ferry” with just the map, because the only known route for Krabben is between Reykjavik and Bornholm. But both are fine! It is quite possible they could do that as well, although in that case it would probably be a Norwegian company (no reason to think it couldn’t be). There are also a number of ships looking like longships in the background around the first part of Adventure 1 is you want to add a ship on the image, however those are not named.

Or, one of those could be used as picture for a Shipyard company!

The Shipyard company sounds nice, but for Norway we already have The Coastal Ferry (transport), Dalsnes Feast Hall (company) and Fate and Scavenge cards, leaving 5 squares (of 9) for properties. Should we introduce the Shipyard we would have more "non-property" than "property" on that side of the board... but why not?

So here we have two more companies, the Bornholm Trade and Travel Hub (transportation for Denmark) and the Fishing in Saimaa, that works like the Dalsnes Hall in Finland. I thought that Trade and Travel Hub sounded better then "Harbour Island". It was also harder to make because the images we had were small, so I decided to try a 3 panel composition...

Here they go. i hope you enjoy them.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #132 on: March 18, 2020, 09:33:25 AM »
Ooh I love the fishing shop! It’s one of my favorite interiors in the whole comic as it’s just the right blend of familiar and homely contrasted  by the lake beast skeleton!  Very good!

Is there chance of making a mock version of the board where the allocated spaces are marked (text only is enough) so that we can get the whole picture and see what there are in terms of the transport and companies, take a card squares etc and how many properties there currently are?

thegreyarea

• Skald
« Reply #133 on: March 18, 2020, 10:25:48 AM »
Ooh I love the fishing shop! It’s one of my favorite interiors in the whole comic as it’s just the right blend of familiar and homely contrasted  by the lake beast skeleton!  Very good!

Is there chance of making a mock version of the board where the allocated spaces are marked (text only is enough) so that we can get the whole picture and see what there are in terms of the transport and companies, take a card squares etc and how many properties there currently are?
It's so good to see that you like it! Thanks!

Of course I can do that board version. It will be useful to define what we want. But I'll have to do it later, because work awaits... Anyway I was thinking (as referred above) that we could have, on each country side, 5 Properties, 1 Fate, 1 Scavenge, 1 Transport and 1 Company.
If we always started and ended with a property, and put the transport in the middle (as in Monopoly) that will give us something like:

P F P P T S P C P
P F P P T S C P P
P P P S T C P F P

And so on... (if somebody wants to check all possible combinations... suit yourself, I'll be delighted to hear the results)

The Dream World side would be different. Taking on Wyrm initial suggestion I was thinking in 4 Havens, 4 Dream World cards and one Transportation (Spirit Boat). It would give us:

H D H D T D H D H

Having the dream world cards only on that side would surely make traveling through the Dream World a different experience from the Country sides.

I'll like to hear from you both and also any other Minnion that want to have its say.

See you soon.

Jitter

• Valkyrie
« Reply #134 on: March 18, 2020, 11:32:40 AM »
I agree with the Dream World side, gotta have lots of chances to get in trouble! Btw I think I’ll change the Pastor Anne into the Dream World deck and then Scavenging and Fate will both have one card (rune) that will banish one ghost.

I’m also slower with this (and the writing!) than I’d like to be. Schools are closed as of today, and I’ll be working on my actual work by event shift as the kids need support with their home study. Although today went much better than I feared! I suppose the novelty will wear off, but at least this gives me courage - we can do it!

Ps you made it to the Safe Zone! I posted it on the Promotion Celebrations thread.