Author Topic: Improvements  (Read 136831 times)

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
  • Intermediate apprentice of webpage wizardry
Re: Improvements
« Reply #405 on: June 25, 2015, 04:11:13 AM »
Coincidence, because that's exactly what I've been working on!

ETA: soon. ;)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 04:13:05 AM by Eriaror »
Native :hungary: | Fluent :uk: | Fading :germany:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Solovei

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #406 on: June 25, 2015, 12:12:52 PM »
Coincidence, because that's exactly what I've been working on!

ETA: soon. ;)
Oooh that's awesome! :D will it work on mobile browsers too?
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Eriaror

• Ilmarinen
  • Scout
  • Intermediate apprentice of webpage wizardry
« Reply #407 on: June 25, 2015, 06:49:02 PM »
I'm implementing it as a theme variant, so it's based on this theme, only some colors get changed.
Therefore it will be just as good for mobile as this theme is! ;)
Native :hungary: | Fluent :uk: | Fading :germany:
:chap5: :chap6: :chap7: :chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
  • Preferred pronouns: She/her
« Reply #408 on: June 26, 2015, 01:22:31 AM »
We have a request from a new member for a flag for the Malay language.  It's spoken in several southeast Asian countries, but Malaysia is probably the most logical candidate for a country flag to indicate Malay.

On a similar topic, we need a language flag for Arabic.  The Saudi Arabian flag is probably the best candidate, since it's the home of Islam's holiest sites (such as Mecca), and the Koran remains the standard for the Arabic language.  (Also, IIRC there actually is an Arabic phrase on the Saudi flag.)
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Speak some:  :france:  :mexico:  :vaticancity:  Ein bisschen: :germany:

Dane Murgen

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • wannabe polyglot
  • Preferred pronouns: They/Them/Their
« Reply #409 on: June 26, 2015, 04:50:13 AM »
We have a request from a new member for a flag for the Malay language.  It's spoken in several southeast Asian countries, but Malaysia is probably the most logical candidate for a country flag to indicate Malay.

On a similar topic, we need a language flag for Arabic.  The Saudi Arabian flag is probably the best candidate, since it's the home of Islam's holiest sites (such as Mecca), and the Koran remains the standard for the Arabic language.  (Also, IIRC there actually is an Arabic phrase on the Saudi flag.)

I'd actually argue for Egypt's flag to be used for Arabic, since apparently Arab entertainment, like films and things are done in Egyptian Arabic, and not Standard Arabic. I could be wrong, though.

I would also like to reiterate the request for a flag for New Zealand and the Philippines.
A life without death is a life not worth living.

Survived: :artd::book1+::chap6::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10::chap11:

Speaks+reads: :newzealand:
Speaks: :philippines:
Barely reads: :france:
Can read a few sentences: :china:
Want to learn: twelve other languages, *sigh*

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #410 on: June 26, 2015, 05:32:21 AM »
Arabic is a very broad term.  While there is technically one over-arching classical language, every region uses its own variant and they differ to the extent that those speaking the dialects of different regions often are unable to understand each other.

Russet

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • eaten by the trolls that took over the tropics.
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #411 on: June 26, 2015, 08:29:17 AM »
I'd actually argue for Egypt's flag to be used for Arabic, since apparently Arab entertainment, like films and things are done in Egyptian Arabic, and not Standard Arabic. I could be wrong, though.

Is it possible to have both flags and then let the users decide which one they'd prefer to use when referring to the Arabic language?
:artd: | :chap0::chap1::chap2::chap7::chap8::chap9::chap10:
Fluent: :uk: :china: :malaysia:
Learning: :japan: :france:

Kizzy

• Not online everyday :c
« Reply #412 on: June 26, 2015, 09:43:01 AM »
I concur with what Koeshi said; Arabic is indeed a very broad term. Not only does the language have "Standard Arabic", but it also encompasses plenty of dialects. The Gulf region/Middle East alone has around 8 different dialects. While they have similarities in many linguistic aspects and are mutually intelligible there are substantial differences, much like how the UK/American/Australian English differ. We also have at least 4 Syriac dialects. The Arabic dialects in the African continent though differ greatly.

I suggest that Arabic dialect flags get uploaded upon request; in my case, I would definitely like a Kuwaiti flag. Wish I speak it well enough though *sniff*

About the entertainment industry: Egypt has the largest film productions, hence why much of the Arabic entertainment that non-Arabs know are spoken in Egyptian dialect. There are other Arab countries that produce entertainment including Syria, Saudi Arabia, and Kuwait, though they're not as known as Egypt's.
Fluent: :usa:
Decent:
Should know but doesn't: , Visaya
Wants to know: :finland: :iceland:, Persian, Navajo
Forgot: :spain: :france:

Chapter Survive

Instagram (=ↀωↀ=) Tumblr

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #413 on: June 26, 2015, 02:08:37 PM »
The problem with using flags to = languages is that there isn't a 1-for-1 correspondence of languages with countries -- cf.using the flag of Vatican City for Latin.
 If Eich is willing, I see no reason why we couldn't offer multiple national flags for Arabic.  We still wouldn't have à good way to represent multiple dialects within or across countries but at least we could represent Egyptian Arabic, the dialect most widely spoken  (and taught to foreigners). 
That still doesn't help with languages like Navajo or Visayan, but one step at a time.
"The music of what happens," said great Fionn, "that is the finest music in the world."
:chap3:  :chap4:  :chap5:  :book2:  :chap12:  :chap13:  :chap14:   :chap15:  :chap16:

Kizzy

• Not online everyday :c
« Reply #414 on: June 26, 2015, 02:55:31 PM »
Sure, I don't see why we should not add the Egypt flag, it is the most widely spoken Arabic dialect. And I guess if we were to narrow down the gulf dialect we could just settle for a Saudi flag. Not the best solution but I guess it could work.
In case of the Navajo and Visaya though, I haven't asked about them because they lack actual flags to represent them (I'm not entirely sure about the former, and the latter could settle for a Filipino flag).
Fluent: :usa:
Decent:
Should know but doesn't: , Visaya
Wants to know: :finland: :iceland:, Persian, Navajo
Forgot: :spain: :france:

Chapter Survive

Instagram (=ↀωↀ=) Tumblr

ParanormalAndroid

« Reply #415 on: June 26, 2015, 03:11:12 PM »
Sure, I don't see why we should not add the Egypt flag, it is the most widely spoken Arabic dialect. And I guess if we were to narrow down the gulf dialect we could just settle for a Saudi flag. Not the best solution but I guess it could work.
In case of the Navajo and Visaya though, I haven't asked about them because they lack actual flags to represent them (I'm not entirely sure about the former, and the latter could settle for a Filipino flag).
For Navajo, I suppose we could use the flag of the Navajo Nation?

Hrollo

• Ranger
« Reply #416 on: June 27, 2015, 12:53:13 AM »
Suggestion: use the flag of the Arab League.
Fluent: :fr: :gb:
Some knowledge: :it:
Attempting to learn again: :de:
Passive familiarity: :es: :br: :ad: :ro:

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #417 on: July 04, 2015, 11:55:45 PM »
So, due to the HUGE popularity of the self-inserts, I'd like to propose making a sub-board in the main SSSS board for just that entire thing. I counted and just on the first two pages alone there are 9 threads about self-inserts - this is totally fine, but maybe it's time to give them their own space? That way people who are not involved in the various projects around it can avoid it easily, and those that are, can find it easily.

Thoughts?
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

Sunflower

• Saraswati
« Reply #418 on: July 05, 2015, 02:26:24 AM »
So, due to the HUGE popularity of the self-inserts, I'd like to propose making a sub-board in the main SSSS board for just that entire thing. I counted and just on the first two pages alone there are 9 threads about self-inserts - this is totally fine, but maybe it's time to give them their own space? That way people who are not involved in the various projects around it can avoid it easily, and those that are, can find it easily.

Thoughts?

I think it's a great idea.  But 1) I don't know how to make a sub-board and 2) it should probably be Eich's call because it's the first time we've considered such a thing.  If we don't hear back from him within a day or two, I'll PM him with a reminder.

Eich

• Thor
  • Retired Forum Admin
« Reply #419 on: July 05, 2015, 12:19:43 PM »

Thoughts?
I think it's a great idea.  But 1) I don't know how to make a sub-board and 2) it should probably be Eich's call because it's the first time we've considered such a thing.  If we don't hear back from him within a day or two, I'll PM him with a reminder.
I think a child board would be a good idea at this point.  Perhaps one containing all creative projects?  That way there could still be a substantial amount of content in the board.  On the other hand, keeping it just for SSSSona stuff would keep the content simple and easy to navigate.  Anyone want to weigh in?
Feel free to PM.