Author Topic: Improvements  (Read 136835 times)

Richard Weir

• Scout
Re: Improvements
« Reply #225 on: February 23, 2015, 09:36:53 PM »
I didn't go into it that deeply. I will do, when time permits.
My one-and-only: :uk:

P__

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
« Reply #226 on: February 26, 2015, 09:38:50 AM »
I guess that goes here

I have to admit that, for me, this is one of the most jarring aspects of the forum: there is no upvote button.

not an urgent thing at all, but giving points (cookie-points?) to people is indeed nice
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #227 on: March 05, 2015, 11:08:01 AM »
IIUC Eich already has a set of national flags available from famfamfam, just didn't install them all right away. I grabbed the same *.zip for potential use, and there seems to be an ie.gif and an ie.png included ... ?

As I am doing some progress with kurmanci-kurdish I wonder whether this magic flag device includes a kurdish flag?
Flag can be seen here. If not I will try and do a search for a free picture resource.
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #228 on: March 05, 2015, 11:40:42 AM »
Will the tagging mod be able to account for the differences in syntax? Like, if someone tags a thread "fan art" and another person writes "fanart", will the system be able to consolidate those? We would also need to come up with a list of agreed-upon tags that everyone can use, otherwise it won't really solve anything if people tag the same things with different words...

In my experience, no.  Tag systems will not compensate for syntax differences if the tags are set by the user creating the thread.  However if there is a set list of tags to choose from then it is a different matter.

One other solution might be to group the threads into folders (along the lines of Amity's categories) within the 5 main boards.  But unlike LooNEY, I don't have prior experience with BBs, so I don't know how feasible that would be. 

Having sub-(or child) boards is pretty common, so I don't imagine it would be a problem to implement.  For example the Language board could have sub-boards for the most commonly discussed languages, while the main board is for those with less concentrated focus.

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
  • Admiral of a Sunken Ship
« Reply #229 on: March 05, 2015, 12:01:33 PM »
As I am doing some progress with kurmanci-kurdish I wonder whether this magic flag device includes a kurdish flag?
Not as far as I can see, but the version on Wiki[mp]edia is marked as being in the public domain ...
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

kjeks

• Retired Moderator
« Reply #230 on: March 09, 2015, 01:38:06 PM »
so if I shrink it to this:
might that work? though it does not look too nice.

looks better
:germany: :uk: :norway:
:sweden: :france: :ireland: :turkey: :kurdish: :sign: =>Learning:
:vaticancity: =>Leftovers

Forum Rules
Helpful Information

JoB

• Mage of the Great Restructuring
« Reply #231 on: March 09, 2015, 01:46:47 PM »
Actually I meant to suggest that Eich should copy it from Wiki* to the forum server (and then work the magic to label it an emoticon and assign some :code: to it).

I don't have the slightest whether it's a good idea to do that before the server switch, though.
native: :de: secondary: :us: :fr:
:artd: :book1+: :book2: :book3: :book4: etc.
PGP Key 0xBEF02A15, Fingerprint C12C 53DC BB92 2FE5 9725  C1AE 5E0F F1AF BEF0 2A15

FrogEater

• Ranger
  • Pessimists experience only good surprises
« Reply #232 on: March 11, 2015, 06:41:11 AM »
Two threads seem analogous, as kex noticed :
some ssss merc ideas
T-shirts SSSS

Possible merger?
:france: fluent, :uk: decent, :germany: war gut, :italy: tourist knowledge

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #233 on: March 11, 2015, 07:05:07 AM »
I guess that goes here

not an urgent thing at all, but giving points (cookie-points?) to people is indeed nice

Never been a fan of points based systems on forums, I think it distracts from the topic of discussion, plus it almost inevitably ends up being a competition over who has the most points, which results in people complaining that a post they made didn't get enough points as they think it deserved and so on...

FrogEater

• Ranger
« Reply #234 on: March 11, 2015, 08:24:54 AM »
Agreed. Disqus comments get buried, counters get reset, possible quarrels get forgotten as soon as a new page replaces the previous one. It's pretty difficult to find who said what one week ago. On the other hand, a forum has a 'deeper' memory. It's all too easy to have things turn sour (speaking from experience :().

P__

« Reply #235 on: March 11, 2015, 10:13:33 AM »
mmh yes, didn't think of that.
no points then :) or should I say... point granted  8) (I tried to make a punny face with special chars, but forgot they don't work yet)
:book2: aye: :france: :portugal: :uk:
:book3: meh: :italy: :germany: :spain: :sweden:
:book4: :betterhat: :hat:
:chap5: :A2chap01: :A2chap03: :A2chap04:

Solovei

• Tumblr
  • You name it, Captain Solo will ship it.
« Reply #236 on: March 11, 2015, 01:42:51 PM »
While I don't think points are necessarily a good idea, I do like being able to upvote or, to borrow AO3 terminology, give "kudos" to a post. Sometimes you don't really have anything you want to reply with but you still want to let the author know you liked it and/or agree with what they're saying.
:hat:Support your fanfic authors!:betterhat:
Co-admin of the SSSS Wiki | AO3 |
:chap2:
:chap3:
:chap4:
:chap5:
:chap6:
:chap7:
:chap8:

Fluent: :canada: :russia:
Managing to stumble through: :sweden:

FrogEater

• Ranger
« Reply #237 on: March 11, 2015, 02:00:12 PM »
I understand this POV, too.
Thinking of it, I would say that Kudos/upvotes may make sense when attached to a post, as you say it, and not to a forumer. This implies that there should not a cumulated counter per forumer, in order to prevent this from turning into some trolling-prone beauty contest.
The risk is low with our present delightful community, but 'beauty contests' or 'popularity contests' are a sure way to spoil the mood - one or two dumb heads are enough for this. It was very wise from Eich to devise funny names for the post quantity based titles, rather than titles suggesting some kind of hierarchy.

Koeshi

• Scout
« Reply #238 on: March 11, 2015, 04:18:31 PM »
It was very wise from Eich to devise funny names for the post quantity based titles, rather than titles suggesting some kind of hierarchy.

Apart from the "Ruler of a Derelict Airport" part :P  Not that I have any complaints with the forum titles.

Piney

• Tumblr
    • DeviantArt
  • friendly neighborhood conifer
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #239 on: March 11, 2015, 05:19:37 PM »
Apart from the "Ruler of a Derelict Airport" part :P  Not that I have any complaints with the forum titles.

I could argue that since the airport is derelict, then the title is basically meaningless...

Vote for me on Top Webcomics!

Twitter | Reynir blog | Native: :usa:   Rudimentary: :spain:   A few words: :iceland: | Reader since 10/21/14 | :chap5: - :chap13: