Author Topic: Finnish learning thread!  (Read 69311 times)

Krisse Kovacs

• Ruler of a Derelict Airport
    • Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him
Re: Finnish learning thread!
« Reply #225 on: June 13, 2015, 06:54:55 AM »
Ann Maries translation to English was spot on. Not much add to it. Word "poop" taught to children is "kakka" and then ad some cases (I'll leave that so somebody else, if needed) and you end up as description of a person (not so much a thing) which is poopy. Expression is difficult to use in mean manner. Could be used for small children in friendly way if they are dirty, with thing it self or otherwise.

For literally being soiled with poop (adjective), you would be "kakkainen". 

-C

thank you
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #226 on: June 15, 2015, 04:00:47 AM »
Actually the mythological creature kakkiainen didn't have anything to do with "kakka", poop. The name kakkiainen is synonymous with katkiainen. It's an obscure miniature creature that was believed to cut or break off ("katkoa"= to cut, to break off, "katki"= cut off, broken off, "katkiainen"=off-cutter, off-breaker) hairs, fishing lines and the strands of fishing nets. Other names for the creature are katka and katikas. The Finnish name for shrimp, katkarapu ("katka crab") is of the same origin as many kinds of tiny water creatures as well as beetles were believed to be katkiainen/kakkiainen.

Kakkiainen was also used as a name for small, harmless but annoying ghosts and delusions. Another name for these was hiiden lintu, "bird of hiisi". There were also some specific kakkiainen-creatures like kirkonkakkiainen ("church kakkiainen") that was a rather nasty haltija ("guardian spirit") of church buildings and unikakkiainen ("dream kakkiainen") that could show the place of hidden treasure to a sleeper.

There was also a belief that when fires were rising from graveyard it meant there were kakkiainens there (so kakkiainen had a connection to the will-o'-the-wisps) and that after a quarrel with a visitor there was a need for spells to ensure there won't be any kakkiainen making it's home in the house.
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Krisse Kovacs

• Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
« Reply #227 on: June 15, 2015, 08:08:38 AM »
Actually the mythological creature kakkiainen didn't have anything to do with "kakka", poop. The name kakkiainen is synonymous with katkiainen. It's an obscure miniature creature that was believed to cut or break off ("katkoa"= to cut, to break off, "katki"= cut off, broken off, "katkiainen"=off-cutter, off-breaker) hairs, fishing lines and the strands of fishing nets. Other names for the creature are katka and katikas. The Finnish name for shrimp, katkarapu ("katka crab") is of the same origin as many kinds of tiny water creatures as well as beetles were believed to be katkiainen/kakkiainen.

Kakkiainen was also used as a name for small, harmless but annoying ghosts and delusions. Another name for these was hiiden lintu, "bird of hiisi". There were also some specific kakkiainen-creatures like kirkonkakkiainen ("church kakkiainen") that was a rather nasty haltija ("guardian spirit") of church buildings and unikakkiainen ("dream kakkiainen") that could show the place of hidden treasure to a sleeper.

There was also a belief that when fires were rising from graveyard it meant there were kakkiainens there (so kakkiainen had a connection to the will-o'-the-wisps) and that after a quarrel with a visitor there was a need for spells to ensure there won't be any kakkiainen making it's home in the house.

WOW, thanks! this makes new sence for my nickname!
can speak :hungary::uk: used to learn :germany: is learning :sweden::finland: can read a bit :norway::denmark: want to learn :iceland:
survived :chap8: - :chap9: - :chap10: - :chap11: - :chap12: - :chap13: - :chap14: - :chap15: - :chap16: - :chap17: - :chap18: - :chap19: - :chap20:

Ann Marie

• Safe-Zone Citizen
  • hiss hiss meow
« Reply #228 on: June 15, 2015, 04:44:26 PM »
Pessi's answer is way cooler than mine!  Kiitos!
native:  :usa:
learning:  :finland: :germany:
dabbling, exactly like a duck:  :sweden:

taking the long road to comic comprehension

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #229 on: June 16, 2015, 01:01:21 AM »
:finland: En olisi itsekään tiennyt, mutta Suomen Tolkien-seuran keskustelufoorumin tietokilpailuketjussa on viime aikoina ollut paljon kansanperinneaiheita, ja toissa arvuuttelija kyseli nimenomaan suomalaisista uskomusolennoista. Joukossa oli myös unikakkiainen.

:uk: I wouldn't have known myself, but we've lately had lots of folkloristic subjects in the Finnish Tolkien Society's forum's quiz thread and the quizzer before the last asked specifically about Finnish mythological creatures. Unikakkiainen was among those mentioned.

Edit
:finland: Tämä on yksi suosikkisarjakuvistani, kun suomen kielestä on kyse.

:uk: This is one of my favorite cartoons when talking about Finnish language.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 11:19:13 AM by Pessi »
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

Krisse Kovacs

• Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
« Reply #230 on: June 16, 2015, 12:06:25 PM »
Edit
:finland: Tämä on yksi suosikkisarjakuvistani, kun suomen kielestä on kyse.

:uk: This is one of my favorite cartoons when talking about Finnish language.

can anyone tell me what exactly those words with the dog (or any other word) in finnish? explain in someway?

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #231 on: June 16, 2015, 02:41:22 PM »
The first fifteen are the basic cases. Then come the possessive suffixes. These are followed by a combination of cases and possessive suffixes, then all the cases with the -kaan ending that means approximately "neither", and after that all the cases with the -ko ending that turns the word into a question. Then comes possessive suffix + -kaan in all the cases, after that possessive suffix + -ko similarly in all cases. The rest is two combinations of these last ones: first possessive suffix + -kaan + -ko, then possessive suffix + -ko + -kaan, both in all the fifteen cases.

Though all these are perfectly correct language, the combination of -kaan and -ko (or the other way round) is rarely if ever used irl. It sounds stupid.

Edit The litany could have been longer too. There are other endings (ok, just learned these are actually called "clitic" in English) than just -kaan and -ko that could have been used: -kin, -han and -pa.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 03:34:17 PM by Pessi »
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

AuthorOfLight

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
  • i am just a littol creachur
  • Preferred pronouns: she/her
« Reply #232 on: June 17, 2015, 02:46:30 PM »
Hei!
I was wondering if anyone knew of some kid's cartoons in Finnish with English subtitles? I think that that could be helpful for me, but I'm not sure how to find any.  :-\
fluent - :usa:
decentish - :mexico:
starting to learn - :finland: :japan:

Ana Nymus

• Admiral of a Sunken Ship
    • DeviantArt
  • Checking in once in a while
« Reply #233 on: June 17, 2015, 05:22:00 PM »
Hei!
I was wondering if anyone knew of some kid's cartoons in Finnish with English subtitles? I think that that could be helpful for me, but I'm not sure how to find any.  :-\

I second this wondering. Very, very much (also excuses to watch children's TV and feel like a little kid again woo!)
:usa: Yes.
:spain: Out of practice.
:finland: Failed to learn.
:vaticancity: Probably remember five words.
White text: Always ;P
:chap8: :chap9: :chap10: :chap11: :chap12: :chap13: :chap14: :chap15: :chap16: :chap17: :chap18: :chap19: :chap20: :chap21: :A2chap01: :A2chap02: :A2chap03: :A2chap04: :A2chap05:

I also speak SCIENCE!!!

AuthorOfLight

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #234 on: June 17, 2015, 06:15:45 PM »
(also excuses to watch children's TV and feel like a little kid again woo!)
kid's cartoons are the most best thing

Krisse Kovacs

• Tumblr
  • MARTTI, he/him
« Reply #235 on: June 17, 2015, 08:21:03 PM »
Hei!
I have muumin in finnish but no sub..... all eps, some EPs of muumi are on youtube in finnish with english subs. I wish someone did more EPs with eng sub, it would be awesome!

Pessi

• Scout
  • metsäläinen
« Reply #236 on: June 18, 2015, 01:01:17 AM »
:uk: There are of course lots of kids cartoons on DVD or Blueray where you can choose the options "Finnish audio" and "subtitles in *some other language*". I'm just afraid these are usually area coded and am not sure how often English is one of the subtitle options. These are after all usually discs aimed at the Nordic market -> the language options tend to be on the lines "Swedish, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Islandic" and not always even all of them.

:finland: Lasten piirrettyjä on tietysti paljon DVD- ja Blueray-muodossa, jolloin voi valita vaihtoehdot "äänet: suomi" ja "tekstitys: *joku muu kieli*". Taitaa vain olla niin, että nämä ovat yleensä aluekoodattuja, enkä ole ihan selvillä, kuinka yleisesti englanti on tekstitysvaihtoehtojen joukossa. Nämä kun ovat kuitenkin yleensä pohjoismaisille markkinoille suunnattuja levyjä -> kielivaihtoehdot tuppaavat rajoittumaan valikoimaan "ruotsi, tanska, suomi, norja, islanti" eivätkä aina sisällä edes kaikkia niitä.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 01:06:07 AM by Pessi »
Tiitiäinen metsäläinen
pieni menninkäinen

()
Trying to learn

AuthorOfLight

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #237 on: June 18, 2015, 02:44:05 PM »
Thanks, Pessi and Martti, I suppose I'll just have to do a more intensive google search for it.  :P

ryagami

• Scout
  • *mov lik snek*
  • Preferred pronouns: he/him/his
« Reply #238 on: June 18, 2015, 03:09:59 PM »
I found this, but it seems super weird:
xD

EDIT: Also, this:
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 03:20:33 PM by ryagami »
Native - :serbia:

Fluent - :uk: / :usa:

Moderate? - :sweden:  :italy:

Bits and pieces - :turkey:

atm? -              ^

Want to learn - pretty much anything, but mostly :latvia:, :greece:, Georgian, Modern Standard Arabic, Kalaallisut

AuthorOfLight

• Safe-Zone Citizen
    • Tumblr
« Reply #239 on: June 18, 2015, 08:46:12 PM »
I found this, but it seems super weird:
xD

EDIT: Also, this:
/>

Oh, thank you! Yeah, the first one seems... a bit odd... ;D But the Moomins seems cute, so I'll probably watch it. :)